Blackberry has long been a company with cutting edge technology and especially when it comes to security but it's problem is mainly in marketing and product line. With how things are evolving in the high tech world I can see blackberry succeeding in this product/price policy:

The lines should be intersectable, 3 major lines for 3 major categories: sliding, keyboard and full touchscreen. The 3 major lines will be for affordable, middle class and high end categories.

The categories will have the letters, the lines will have the numbers or vice versa; we can start with the actual state of things:

The 10 line with 3 categories will be the middle class line, we already have a Q10 and a Z10, we can add an S10 (same as Z10 but sliding). It's prices should be the same as the mini prices of android flagship devices without compromising with its premium feel.

The 30 line with its 3 categories will be the high end line with a Z30 (already existing) a Q30 (saw my suggestion of the Q30 in a previous forum) and an S30 (similar specs to the Z30 with a slider)

And on the bottom of the lines a 5 line with prices that are face to face with the nokia Asha line or lower Lumia products with a Q5 (already exists) a Z5 and an S5. The Z and S 5 should be around 3.6-3.7 inches.

We can always add a 4th higher end line (the 50) with a Z50 of a 5.8 inch display, a brother slider S50 and a keyboard Q50 that will be very close in size as all in all but with some smaller screen (around 4.8-4.9 inch screen)

As for the tablet or the new playbook (with bb10 os) blackberry can always collaborate with Asus or lenovo for a cutting edge playbook similar to nexus (7inch) that can have a built-in keytouch cover and same premium materials as the older playbook.

what do you guys think? Give us some suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    blackberriquero likes this.
    11-02-13 03:07 AM
    I mostly agree with your post *except* that BlackBerry was about cutting edge technology. In fact, BlackBerry has never been about specs. Integration, communication, security yes. Cutting edge technology and specs no.
    11-02-13 06:18 AM
    I mostly agree with your post *except* that BlackBerry was about cutting edge technology. In fact, BlackBerry has never been about specs. Integration, communication, security yes. Cutting edge technology and specs no.
    I think you are wrong to equate cutting edge technology with just meaning hardware spec, there is a lot more to do with it than just that and it is precisely because of some of their technology decisions that they have not needed to go flat out on hardware specs, which is a good thing given that battery technology improvements are lagging far behind hw speeds.

As far as the original posters ideas, I am afraid that they are simply falling into the same trap that BB themselves have done so in the past by trying to release far too many products into a market that won't support them. At this time there is simply no market beyond an overly vocal minority on sites like this for a slider of any size, you only have to look at the fact that Samsung have released an android flip phone more recently than a slider to see that the market is not there.

Beyond there not being a need for a slider, for their range they need to address the high and low ends of the market, there simply isn't the room for a mid tier at this point in time when you have companies like google giving away high-end specs at cost to push their brand/os further.

Their range should be high-end qwerty and all-touch that are upgraded on a yearly basis along with a low-end pair of devices that get upgraded on a slightly more flexible schedule since hitting price-points is the main thing there so no point strictly sticking to a yearly upgrade cycle unless hw prices drop enough to make it worth it.

Also, there is no need to look for additional high-end models to add, each yearly upgrade should be targeting the most popular sizing that the market expects so what you call a z50 might simply be the z30 for the 2015 market if that is the way things move, assuming that the 2014 version will remain around 5" display and just move onto 1080p.
    zlatno likes this.
    11-02-13 04:54 PM
    They might be able to get by with four devices but the all touch device needs to be smaller and lighter . The Moto X with a 4.7 inch screen is about the same size as a Z10. A really nice format. Secondly, the screen clarity has to match the iPhone and Samsung.

The Q has a very limited future without a bigger screen. They need to scrap the square screen format and do a better job on packaging.

I have never used a slider so I don't know how they feel and how good the KB is. All I know is that there are still a lot of legacy slider users in Canada. ( as an aside , I am in the USA right now and have yet to spot a BB).
    11-02-13 10:47 PM
    I think BlackBerry should just focus on making Q series and slider series.

While licensing out the touch screens to other manufacturers. Where they have better and stronger technology and cheaper units to favor all types of user.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:00 AM
    At such point I prefer an apple strategy with one high end keyboard phone and one on the very first entry level.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 10:59 AM
    I think that all they really need are the Z10, Q10, Z30, Q5(although I'd call it the Q10 and make the high end the Q30), and maybe a T30 which would be a tablet device with attachable keyboard with touch pad... one high and one low end phone... not sure that a slider is going to sell well enough to be justified and I don't see a almost 6" slider being easy to use at all... just my thoughts anyway

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 03:30 PM
    The Q has a very limited future without a bigger screen. They need to scrap the square screen format and do a better job on packaging.
    This is I completely agree with. It's a wide screen aspect ratio world out there but what did BlackBerry go and do? They put a small square screen on their "iconic" keyboard BB10 phones. That was BlackBerry looking backwards like the RIM of old.

Witness the Android apps that are fiddly to use on a Q phone due to the lack of screen space and the great games that you can't get because a small square screen just doesn't cut it. I await the eye watering write downs for unsold Q series inventory with resignation.

I have never used a slider so I don't know how they feel and how good the KB is. All I know is that there are still a lot of legacy slider users in Canada. ( as an aside , I am in the USA right now and have yet to spot a BB).
    I've only ever seen one BlackBerry Torch slider phone in the wild in the UK in the last 2 years. I really don't buy in to the idea that a slider BB10 phone will sell any better than the other BB10 phones that haven't sold well already. If it was what the smartphone market was shouting out for then Samsung would be doing it already.

I'd go as far as to say that the demand for a slider BB10 phone within the CrackBerry community is a niche within a niche. BlackBerry can't make a profit developing and selling the phone to such a small number of people.

BlackBerry MUST get a true low end priced Z5 all touch BB10 phone out there by the spring of next year. It is really hurting BB10 right now that there is no all touch equivalent of the cheap Curve 9320 especially now it's the run up to Christmas. In the UK the teenagers who last Christmas got a cheap 9320 won't want a cheap 9720 when they can get a cheap Android phone instead and open the world of apps. The Q5 was aimed too high, it's too close to the mid range that the Q10 easily had covered, it has no mass market appeal.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 11-07-13 at 04:02 PM.
    11-07-13 03:51 PM
    I think they should be concentrating their efforts on knocking it out of the park with 2, maybe 3, models right now. The variety of your 9 models is nice but not very manageable in BlackBerry's current state.

Posted with a Q10 via CB10
    11-09-13 09:49 PM