12-05-10 11:00 PM
100 1234
tools
    In trying to find any info I can these days on the Storm 3, it got me thinking after I read a few old articles again. Does anyone think that maybe the next S3 might not actually be running OS6 or even be QNX?

From the beginning JLevy had said that the Storm 3 he saw was running and OS that was 5.1. Granted this was back in 09 when 5.0 was just coming out so at that time it would seem realistic that he was right. Also, I remember reading on here way back that 5.1 turned into OS6 I believe. However, even now with the leaked S3 pic that CX posted, the documentation in the picture still speak of an OS 5 something running on the device and augmented reality. Now it still could obviously be true that the CX S3 pic is a very old pic, however if it's more recent then why are they still talking about an OS in the 5 range??
    BlackBerry Home Screen Widgets Incoming?

The above article is old, I know, and we mistook it for what OS6 would look like. However, what if this is the other OS that is actually gonna be on the new Storm? The article does point out that these screenshots are of widgets that the S3 is said to have and we know OS6 doesn't have the capability of this. So what do you think?
    In discussing things with Brian is does seem like QNX has some time to go here before it's actually done even on the Playbook. So the chances of it coming out on a new S3 before the Playbook really just don't seem realistic.
    So does anyone think maybe RIM has something else up their sleeve or am I just REALLY reaching here
    If I am right thou and this new OS for the S3 is still built on the old OS5 kernel then I'm afraid it may be a fail anyway. Or what if I am right but they later scrapped this OS when they purchased QNX, which means we will even have a longer wait for a competitive S3.
    Who knows, but I just thought I throw this out there....
    AS I remember it we started hearing about 5.1 early in the 5.0 leak days before 5.0 ever went official. But talk of 5.1, which came from well respected sources like CX and Radio died just a s quickly. Then we started to hear of 5.2, and the conventional wisdom is that 5.2 is what became 6.0. So what was 5.1??? It never saw the light of day. At least not outside waterloo. Could it have been early attempts at playing with QNX, which is open source.

Now, what I find interesting about the QNX OS on the PlayBook, is that named it "TabletOS". They didn't call it BB7, or BBQ (that would be funny!) or anything like that. They put Tablet in the name. That seems to mean to me that there will be 2 variants of the QNX os. 1 for Tablets and 1 for Smartphones. It would be kinda dumb to call it Tablet OS and then install it on a Storm. So where I am leading to is that RIM could have 2 Dev Tracks running in parallel. We saw the Tablet OS, but they could have the Smartphone version of QNX chugging along which may have a slightly different look and feel designed for smaller screen etc. (look at Android and how some reviews are saying the Android 2.2 on a tablet looks kinda dumb, and Google is supposedly doing separate releases [Honeycomb?] just for Tablets) If that is the case there could be no reason why they wouldn't drop a Storm 3 running such an OS before PlayBook, or immediately after. However since a Phone would have to run through carriers, we would start seeing some leaks months ahead of release.

I think WES in April 2011 is where a lot of this will be delivered. Some announcements at CTIA, but WES will be RIM's show.
    10-28-10 02:53 PM
    I'm starting to lose hope for a black friday release. Ugh. Hope my S1 can hang on a little longer....
    10-28-10 04:03 PM
    I'm starting to lose hope for a black friday release. Ugh. Hope my S1 can hang on a little longer....
    Maybe a refresh, but even that would surprise me. Black Friday will be the HTC Droid Incredible HD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-10 04:07 PM
    I know how you feel. My S1 has been great but I really need to switch this holiday season. :/
    10-28-10 04:20 PM
    However since a Phone would have to run through carriers, we would start seeing some leaks months ahead of release.

I think WES in April 2011 is where a lot of this will be delivered. Some announcements at CTIA, but WES will be RIM's show.
    Feel like we are always waiting for conferences for RIM to deliver on these new phones and they never do. Instead they come to these conferences and show off phones that have been leaked and reviewed over and over again by Sal and whoever else. Its never a nice surprise with something we haven't heard about, well the Playbook was a nice surprise but that was the only time we saw something big in awhile. I'm mean we all said last year that WES in April we'd see the S3 and maybe the Torch and all we got was the Pearl 3G and the Bold. Sweet time that was....

How long is carrier testing usually take? Reason I'm asking the question is that if we saw a leak in the next few weeks then what's the timeframe after that, that we could expect a release? I think regardless of this timeframe thou, we know the spec'd out S3 we all want is being kept very secret to keep from it leaking. So who's to say it's not already in carrier testing and still being held to a very high standard to keep it from leaking to us?? Is that a possibility??

What's up with the Incredible HD you speak about Engine? I haven't heard about this phone, althou it could very well be my next phone if we don't see a worthy touchscreen BB as my NE2 is up now I believe.
    10-28-10 09:00 PM
    Does anyone besides me realize that RIM is making some changes. Which takes time.

I personally would rather them take the time and make their changes and deliver a great product as opposed to the way thy have been throwing out models and OS's for the past while.

I mean really, if we in this forum realize they need something big to stay in the game, don't you think they have too?

If it was ANYONE else I might think "hurry the **** up already" BUT with RIM's track record........ They BETTER take their time and do this right!

10-28-10 09:12 PM
    Your right they are making changes and I would rather them release a product that has been tested thoroughly, is great at first release and not have another Storm fiasco.
    However, at this point in the game it's pretty much a double edge sword with how the market is. If RIM waits to release a competitive consumer phone, till who knows when, then the ground that they have already lost to Droid especially will get even bigger and they may not be albe to catch up. I mean at the time the Storm came out Verizon was big on BB's, however now things have changed and it's all about Droids at Verizon. Then if they release something too soon and it's another refresh or just another buggy consumer phone then they will still lose ground and most likely won't be trusted again to produce a good consumer phone.
    While I do think releasing something too soon right now would make them worse off then waiting and producing a great product, unfortunately it's still a lose, lose it seems. Especially too with the iPhone coming to Verizon. Think about it, if the iPhone comes to Verizon in the new year before RIM releases a great touchscreen phone then what new consumer is gonna care to jump to BB if the iPhone is on the shelf at Verizon. I'm sure you'll still have your CB members buying it, but that doesn't help RIM gain, or RE-gain the marketshare they lost between Droid and then Apple.
    Also Windows 7 has a ton of consumer touchscreen phones being released soon. Now they may or may not take off but this is still a competitor that RIM needs to worry about as they take their good old time and keep releasing refreshes or uncompetitive consumer phones.
    So yeah they do need something big, but WHEN and at what cost will it be to their marketshare when it finally is released?
    Last edited by MattyG27; 10-28-10 at 09:44 PM.
    10-28-10 09:39 PM
    But that's what it all comes down to rush and fail or take their time and win.

After the recent excessive amounts of fails, rushing anything isn't even a option.

10-28-10 10:43 PM
    Taking time is one thing, but in the fast moving game of smart phones, or technology in general, you don't have the luxury of too much time. RIM has had plenty of time to make adjustments, but they have seemed to wait until other platforms are at near critical mass to respond. The Playbook may be a game changer and if the OS is ported to a phone could be a great platform, but how relevant will it be, can it be, this late in the game. Hopefully not a case of being too late.
    10-31-10 09:39 AM
    I too agree with "get it right the first time", but as indicated the technology we desire in our BBs (specifically the storm) isn't really that hard to implement.

More RAM, High resolution screen, etc... All totally doable.

When planning the specs for future BBs I wish RIM would think what would be desired ahead of time.. Instead of what was good in the past.. (the 9570 was just a sad example of that).
    10-31-10 05:53 PM
    I'm considering it. I'm actually alright with my Storm 9530, been almost 2 years now. I'm used to it even if people say it's not up to standard with other phones.
    11-01-10 01:55 AM
    I love tech just like any other techie babble whatever. But I swear some people just look at the spec sheet and think Oh crap, it needs a dual core or else this phone wont you know do the things I need it to do..... Er, What EXACTLY is that?

Some people will be able to bust it out with answers to that question and you can be like dude get a computer... but yeh some people like the compactness of mobile gaming, mobile browsing, mobile mobile. But that's where the playbook will hopefully fill the gap and without compromising the main aspect of mobile phones which are making phone calls and battery life.

I swear RIM could ram in all that crap right now but I swear you're just going to get crap battery life. I love sliding stuff around but hardware isn't going to win it for you and I think until RIM have that software sorted out, you'll win over the tech hungry crowd soon enough.

It's the software thats important and thats how apple achieved its success and android followed that with hardware. I personally love the Blackberry eco system but you know for damn sure that it can be a lot better. Until then, people are forgetting that a high end spec sheet isn't going to save your arse if its expensive and lasts 3 hours under heavy usage. Finally, any phone that can hold a reception is up to standard but hey smartphones have to do everything nowadays but keep a phone connected to be popular
    11-01-10 06:01 AM
    From BBLeaks:

BlackBerry Storm 3 Specs Revealed? ~ BlackBerry Leaks - BBLEAKS.COM

So we may be seeing a S3 in Jan running QNX and LTE...

BlackBerry Storm 3 Specs Revealed?
    11/01/2010 11:17:00 AM 3 Comments Email ThisShare to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Google Buzz

We've received multiple reports on what may be the specs for the BlackBerry Storm 3. Apparently, the Storm 9570 was not going to be the official 'Storm 3', but as rumored just a refresh, or a 'Storm 2.5', if you will. Nevertheless, Research In Motion has been working diligently to make a new device for the Storm series that is sure to help regain notoriety for the series.

This spec list is comprised from multiple sources of ours. On some of the items, there have been different answers (i.e. camera megapixels), as shown below.

Camera: 5MP, 25921944 pixels or 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, fixed focus, dual-LED flash
    Memory: 8 or 16 GB storage w/ optional expandable to 32GB, 512 MB or 1GB RAM, 1 GB ROM
    Display: 3.7-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    GPRS: Class 32
    Optical trackpad
    Ringtones: MP3, WAV ringtones
    MP3: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA player, MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
    Bluetooth: Yes, v3.0 with A2DP
    3G: HSDPA, 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps
    Addons: Wi-Fi, USB, GPS, OS, Video
    Weight: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh (BL-4D)
    Talktime: Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 480 h (3G)
    Standby: Up to 9 h (2G) / Up to 5 h (3G)
    It appears that the above leaked image may in fact, as we're being told, is the Storm 3. It is unclear what type of operating system will be housed on the Storm 3. Some of our sources have suggested that the Storm 3 has been postponed for the purpose of putting the QNX software on it. This may have been the reason behind RIM's decision to botch the Storm 2 'refresh' 9570.

We've also heard the Storm 3 could be the first 4G BlackBerry, but there has been no mention of it for the current specs. Nevertheless, these specs are still up in the air, and until we see any official documentation take them with a grain of salt. However, if our sources are correct, the device pictured above very well may hit stores as the infamous BlackBerry Storm 3 in early 2011.
    11-01-10 11:27 AM
    Taking time is one thing, but in the fast moving game of smart phones, or technology in general, you don't have the luxury of too much time. RIM has had plenty of time to make adjustments, but they have seemed to wait until other platforms are at near critical mass to respond. The Playbook may be a game changer and if the OS is ported to a phone could be a great platform, but how relevant will it be, can it be, this late in the game. Hopefully not a case of being too late.
    Couldn't agree with you more. We all want a quality phone, but RIM can't keep dragging their feet over it...more memory (at least 512) should have already been in the Storm 2. Then they announce the Playbook with all of these fantastic specs, but then we find out it may be 6 months away from becoming a reality! I LOVE my S2, but RIM just doesn't seem to have a real business plan or know what direction they want to go; they need to plan ahead more...is it really that difficult to add a faster processor, more memory, a larger screen? Even with BB6, it would be a Super improvement with the addtional upgrades.
    11-01-10 11:46 AM
    Here is my take on these...

Camera: 5MP, 25921944 pixels or 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, fixed focus, dual-LED flash
    5mp or 8 mp is fine, but somewhat irrelevant. How good is the sensor? I would take less MP and a better camera any day of the week. I hate that the camera industry is so focused on MP and that has soooo little to do with image quality. Also will Video Camera shoot in Hi Def? DLNA support or HDMI out?
    Memory: 8 or 16 GB storage w/ optional expandable to 32GB, 512 MB or 1GB RAM, 1 GB ROM
    Got to be 1 gb of ram. Storage does not matter so much. 8 gb on board is nice and probably a 16 gb media card. I know many will say 512 gb of ram is enough, but if this is running BB6, and or QNX means the same that all apps and OS live in this space then they need more RAM.
    Display: 3.7-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    Not too happy about AMOLED due to the availability issues, as well as the performance in sun light. Would like to know the resolution, which is not included here. But I assume if they are going AMOLED the res is a lot higher. 3.7" screen seems to be good. I handled a DInc yesterday and that looks pretty solid from a form factor. So far with the recent increase in size i think Samsung is best with 4".
    Optical trackpad
    Not sure on this. Seems useless on a full touchscreen device. Look at any review of the android devices that had track balls/Track Pads. I know in some cases it could be useful, But I guess I am just neutral on that.
    3G: HSDPA, 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps
    HSDPA?, 10.2 MBPS? If this is for VZW I am not seeing any reference to CDMA. 10.2 MBPS could refer to LTE as that is the only network rated for those speeds,or at least is getting it in the field. And i love the .2 added in there. LOL
    Weight: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh (BL-4D)
    That is not really the weight, but okay. If they are putting a 1200 MAH battery in here, that could be an issue. Larger Screen, more memory, and hopefully faster Chip could put battery life in the gutter. However their talk/standby stats seem to be an improvement in Standby time on what the S2 had. But I think the talk and standby times are reversed:
    Talktime: Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 480 h (3G)
    Standby: Up to 9 h (2G) / Up to 5 h (3G)
    I think they mean:
    Standby: Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 480 h (3G)
    Talktime: Up to 9 h (2G) / Up to 5 h (3G)

By way of comparison the S2 is listed on Phonescoop as follows:
    Standby: Up to 270 hrs (not sure if that is 2g or 3g)
    Talk Time: 5.5 hours (same as above)

So even with a 1200 MAH battery they are saying better standby battery life than S2. Questionable dues to smaller battery, but without Piezo discs and SurePress who knows.
    GPRS: Class 32
    Ringtones: MP3, WAV ringtones
    MP3: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA player, MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
    Bluetooth: Yes, v3.0 with A2DP
    Addons: Wi-Fi, USB, GPS, OS, Video
    Would love to know what chip it is running and if it will be QNX based or BB6 based. If it is BB6, will it we upgradeable to QNX?

If the higher set of theoretical specs are true and it Releases in Jan on the LTE network, It could be a very good thing for RIM.
    11-01-10 12:19 PM
    I'm currently using the storm 2 and unless the refresh has more than what has been rumored so far I will be Sticking with my storm 2 and waiting on an lte / qnx based storm.

11-01-10 12:49 PM
    Um I think your lost lockedtight cause if you've been follow the discussions about the S3 we already know there will be no refresh...
    11-01-10 02:45 PM
    Knowing and not knowing all at the same time is worse than just one of them. They announce the Playbook faaaar in advance and who's to know if everything they promised will actually be on there or not. They could at least throw us a bone haha
    11-01-10 03:09 PM
    The first thing that comes to mind wit me (was it Sal) mentioning they would use old hardware to conceal its indentity? To me that answers the refresh question to a point. Second, it was mentioned that RIM Purchased QNX but began working on this tech in 08.... I would like to think that meant things were looking positive. Third, it was mentioned that Verizon wanted to hold back info because of some liability issues concerning 4G Fourth, I'm feeling QNX is ahead of time and the ball is in BIG RED'S court. Fifth, does anyone think battery life may be betta on a system that doesn't hv to STRUGGLE? I recall some1 had mentioned a release for Q4 like last yr n I don't see any reason why not....Thats RIM'S mo lol. I check international sites and they were pretty positive about a near future release....Wishful thinking. So! I'm inclined to believe RIM saw all this coming and instead of relying on their own to (combat) other companies they would enlist others to implement expertise. With that being said, maybe RIM is ready to make devices that enchance security AND evolve with the future. Lol, IF YU MAKE IT ....THEY WILL COME!
    11-01-10 10:10 PM
    Honestly, I think RIM is way ahead this time n waiting on Verizon. Some hv mentioned RIM has bn working on this tech almost if nt 2yrs. There are a lot of sites pointing me to believe its dropping this yr. Happy to share anything I've seen with ya.....
    11-01-10 10:22 PM
    I was holding out for the Storm III, (only because of OS6) but gave up when they announced its cancellation, and bought a Torch instead. I might have regrets if this thing does surface.
    11-06-10 06:40 AM
    My NE2 is available now for myself and my wife. We both have storm1.....do we wait for storm 3, or go to iphone or android. We love blackberry but we are getting very impatient waiting for RIM to $**t or get off the pot.....what do we do ?????
    11-06-10 07:00 AM
    Keep waiting lol
    11-06-10 07:22 AM
    Not much you can do but keep waiting. I love BB too and I'd prefer a touch screen so all I can do is wait :/
    11-07-10 11:44 AM
    An announcement from RIM would be nice though. They can announce the Playbook 6 months in advance but can't let anyone know that the Storm 3 really does exist? We don't even know the BlackBerry model number. What would the Storm 3 4G model number be? I don't think it will be 95XX anything.
    11-07-10 05:28 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD