12-05-10 11:00 PM
100 123 ...
tools
    I'm going to use my 'alternate' upgrade (wifes line) & get the 9570, assuming it's coming, to test the waters of OS6; I will sell my Storm 2 to offset the cost factor. Then I'll use my upgrade in June '11 to get the forthcoming QNX Storm. Any thoughts? Anyone else going to get this 'refreshed' Storm 2...if that's what it ends up being?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Stixx Bixby; 10-20-10 at 04:09 PM.
    10-20-10 11:53 AM
    I probably will, unless, as some say, the QNX Storm is within 1-3 months of release.
    10-20-10 12:27 PM
    My NE2 is up in June 2011 - hopefully QNX will be out about that time. I love my S2, but would love a bigger screen and faster web, etc.
    10-20-10 01:04 PM
    in going to buy the Storm refresh or whatever. Then when the QNX storm is released ill use my upgrade for that. Then illl just sell the S2 to someone that ISN'T on CB....cause to everyone else its just a "touchscreen BlackBerry"

I have personally been asked "when the F did blackberry make a touchscreen phon. Imagine peoples surprise when I tell them that mine is the FIRST storm!

10-20-10 09:28 PM
    Most likely... though, after the annoyances my 9530 has caused, I'm hesitant to upgrade to another BB Touch unless it's got some amazing new features!
    10-21-10 03:32 PM
    Only if its a drastic improvement from the craptastic Storm2. A solid OS not fraught with a trillion issues, and a Torch-like touchscreen. Surepress is for noobs.

Most likely... though, after the annoyances my 9530 has caused, I'm hesitant to upgrade to another BB Touch unless it's got some amazing new features!
    I had fewer headaches with my Storm than my Storm2, but I know exactly how you feel.
    10-21-10 03:39 PM
    I'm on board can't wait till 2011
    10-23-10 09:16 AM
    I thought I had an account on here o_O
    Dunno what happened to it though....

Anyway, I'm still waiting. I've had my upgrade since May but didn't want to use it until new info came out on a new one. I'm starting to get antsy though as the lack of memory on the 9530 is really bugging me.
    10-23-10 03:42 PM
    I thought I had an account on here o_O
    Dunno what happened to it though....

Anyway, I'm still waiting. I've had my upgrade since May but didn't want to use it until new info came out on a new one. I'm starting to get antsy though as the lack of memory on the 9530 is really bugging me.
    I Completely Agree about the Lagging Memory on the 9530! Not to mention the fact that it feels bulkier and heavier everyday... I was due for an upgrade September 27th, but i'm holding out for a worthy BB Touch to upgrade to.
    10-23-10 11:24 PM
    I Completely Agree about the Lagging Memory on the 9530! Not to mention the fact that it feels bulkier and heavier everyday... I was due for an upgrade September 27th, but i'm holding out for a worthy BB Touch to upgrade to.
    It only lacks memory if you are an app lover. I use maybe 7 apps. So memory isn't an issue for a lot of people. And it may feel heavier cause its full of jjunk. Lol. Clear your logs, messages, delete apps you don't use etc.

10-24-10 12:00 PM
    The "it's ok I only use a few apps" argument to reason away RIM's low memory (and not installing apps on the memory card) problem is so tired and is totally irrelevant. We all know if we had TONS of memory free on our devices then there would be new and incredible apps on the BlackBerry platform. I am not just talking about games (although top games have always pushed platforms to better and better heights). But things like augmented reality, voice recognition, video manipulation to name a few.

This argument, that it's ok to have low memory because the average user only uses 5 apps, is something RIM cooked up to reason away their terrible kernel memory problems. Heck they have even admitted their platform has memory handling issues when they allowed you to uninstall an app, in App World, and keep the installer on the memory card. Lol, does anyone actually think this is a reasonable solution?

Luckily this sounds like it will be fixed with QNX.

At this point in the game, to be relevant, you should have Gigga Bytes of free memory for apps.
    10-24-10 12:56 PM
    The "it's ok I only use a few apps" argument to reason away RIM's low memory (and not installing apps on the memory card) problem is so tired and is totally irrelevant. We all know if we had TONS of memory free on our devices then there would be new and incredible apps on the BlackBerry platform. I am not just talking about games (although top games have always pushed platforms to better and better heights). But things like augmented reality, voice recognition, video manipulation to name a few.

This argument, that it's ok to have low memory because the average user only uses 5 apps, is something RIM cooked up to reason away their terrible kernel memory problems. Heck they have even admitted their platform has memory handling issues when they allowed you to uninstall an app, in App World, and keep the installer on the memory card. Lol, does anyone actually think this is a reasonable solution?

Luckily this sounds like it will be fixed with QNX.

At this point in the game, to be relevant, you should have Gigga Bytes of free memory for apps.
    Actually RIM didn't say it. I did... And there ARE phones with more memory for you to look into. So if a person wants a lot of apps on their phone then that's where they should start looking.

Also the Storm is old and outdated. Everyon e knows this. BUT that being said. For me and many other Storm users, it fits US. It does the job.

So YES the amount of memory on it IS good enough for certain users.

10-24-10 02:39 PM
    Also.... For example.... I HAVE an i pod touch which allows me to have hundreds of apps. yet I have only about five or so on it as well. So your more memory = more apps theory is kinda off. Its all about what FITS you as an individual. What YOUR needs are. Which is the whole reason behind the variety of phones out there. So you have choices. Don't be a sheep. Be a lone wolf.

10-24-10 02:44 PM
    I totally disagree. And I think you miss my point. More memory == better quality apps. It's just fact. You can do more when you have more memory. When I mean more I don't necessarily mean more functionality either. If you want to go with what Bill Gates said in the early days "640K is plenty of memory for anyone" go-ahead.

And actually if you have been paying attention to what RIM has said in the past they have trotted out your argument on numerous occasions. It's a tired argument to be sure. To the point where they have created work-arounds like I detailed in App World.

I am not interested in the number of Apps either. But the quality and the amount of functionality and how well that core functionality is developed.

The fact is BlackBerry is a dieing platform. I am not talking about market-share wise. That always follows. QNX will go a long way to fix it. But that will only happen if RIM is actually listening to their users. The masses want more memory. Therefore if they want to stay relevant they not only need to follow the sheep, they need to get ahead of them. For a company lots of sheep keeps you in business.

So it's fine to be a lone wolf. Go ahead. But there are very real reasons we want more memory and if they don't you might be the only one left on BlackBerry. Which is fine, because if that happened it would not be considered a 'smartphone' anyway.

I love the BlackBerry platform in many ways. The memory situation is just not one of them.
    10-24-10 03:46 PM
    Ok.

10-24-10 03:49 PM
    I totally disagree. And I think you miss my point. More memory == better quality apps. It's just fact. You can do more when you have more memory. When I mean more I don't necessarily mean more functionality either. If you want to go with what Bill Gates said in the early days "640K is plenty of memory for anyone" go-ahead.

And actually if you have been paying attention to what RIM has said in the past they have trotted out your argument on numerous occasions. It's a tired argument to be sure. To the point where they have created work-arounds like I detailed in App World.

I am not interested in the number of Apps either. But the quality and the amount of functionality and how well that core functionality is developed.

The fact is BlackBerry is a dieing platform. I am not talking about market-share wise. That always follows. QNX will go a long way to fix it. But that will only happen if RIM is actually listening to their users. The masses want more memory. Therefore if they want to stay relevant they not only need to follow the sheep, they need to get ahead of them. For a company lots of sheep keeps you in business.

So it's fine to be a lone wolf. Go ahead. But there are very real reasons we want more memory and if they don't you might be the only one left on BlackBerry. Which is fine, because if that happened it would not be considered a 'smartphone' anyway.

I love the BlackBerry platform in many ways. The memory situation is just not one of them.
    Completely agree!!
    Which leads me to my next question, which is.... Why is RIM wasting time with OS6 when they have QNX? QNX is suppose to be a much better platform from an app development standpoint due to it being a flash based OS with much more compatability. Aren't they just throwing money away right now on a dying OS platform in OS6? I mean they even know QNX is their future and have admitted it will be on future devices, so what are they waiting for???
    This is the reason I think Storm chasers, including myself, are so frustrated. I don't want an OS6 Storm, I want a QNX Storm that will compete both app-wise and spec wise with the Droids and iPhones. Maybe RIM really does get that and that's the reason the 9570 was cancelled, or wasn't it, or who knows. What I'm hoping thou is that the 9570 that was cancelled was the OS6 Storm and now instead the QNX Storm will be pushed out.
    Let's hope RIM really is listening to their users!
    10-24-10 05:20 PM
    I don't use very many apps at all, I'd love to, but the phone already struggles with what I do run. I always close out of apps I'm not using and only run one or two in the background (Facebook etc) and the phone still lags and has been getting worse lately. That being said, I love the phone so much that I haven't bothered to change it or look into changing it until now, even with my NE2 upgrade available. I'm not a big fan of the keyboards on the BBs though (my brother has a Curve) but I would buy one if it also had a touch screen, like the Torch for example. I may end up going with something like a new Tour if I have to but I'd much rather stick with the touchscreen phones if possible.
    Oh well, I guess we can really only wait and see what RIM and in my case, Verizon will do. I'm going to Germany in December and I'd prefer having a new, faster phone by then so hopefully we'll be seeing something this holiday season, if not, I may take a chance on something else and then try to sell and buy the Storm 3 if/when it does come out.
    10-24-10 05:24 PM
    MattyG27 - The reason OS 6 is around is because they needed a solution now to the Web Browser. It's a stop gap.

Every one here does realize that RIM announced a product, the PlayBook, that does not exist, in hardware or software? Their announcement was a total paper launch. They said early spring but I bet you won't see it till late summer, if we are lucky.

All the videos and screenshots you saw were faked. A total ruse. None of it exists in that current form. Yes they have QNX. But that just gives them good bones (I am using a house metaphor).

They have to port all their apps and their api's. This will take some time. There is no way a QNX Storm will come before the PlayBook. So, forget about that this year.

I know people are excited about the PlayBook, but RIM did something very risky here. They don't have a product. I would not want to be a Software Engineer at RIM right now (I am a Software Engineer). The reason being is they have cooked up an impossible time frame. They just got purchased in April... To come out with a completely new platform by early next year while cranking out OS 6.0 stop gap? There is no way they can do it. Microsoft was able to do it because they stopped development on Windows Mobile. Plus they had something already done when they announced it. RIM has very little completed from all the insider information we have seen/heard to date.

If they do make the deadline you just know there are a host of over worked software developers ready to break into pieces.
    10-24-10 08:52 PM
    10-25-10 02:06 PM
    MattyG27 - The reason OS 6 is around is because they needed a solution now to the Web Browser. It's a stop gap.

Every one here does realize that RIM announced a product, the PlayBook, that does not exist, in hardware or software? Their announcement was a total paper launch. They said early spring but I bet you won't see it till late summer, if we are lucky.

All the videos and screenshots you saw were faked. A total ruse. None of it exists in that current form. Yes they have QNX. But that just gives them good bones (I am using a house metaphor).

They have to port all their apps and their api's. This will take some time. There is no way a QNX Storm will come before the PlayBook. So, forget about that this year.

I know people are excited about the PlayBook, but RIM did something very risky here. They don't have a product. I would not want to be a Software Engineer at RIM right now (I am a Software Engineer). The reason being is they have cooked up an impossible time frame. They just got purchased in April... To come out with a completely new platform by early next year while cranking out OS 6.0 stop gap? There is no way they can do it. Microsoft was able to do it because they stopped development on Windows Mobile. Plus they had something already done when they announced it. RIM has very little completed from all the insider information we have seen/heard to date.

If they do make the deadline you just know there are a host of over worked software developers ready to break into pieces.
    While I do believe some of what you are saying in terms of OS6 and QNX. Obviously unless I'm not understanding all of your metaphors you would have to be wrong on some accounts.
    As posted and shown today on CB there is a working up and running QNX Playbook. Althou I'm not a software engineer like yourself, so I'm sure there are plenty of things I don't realize or understand from a development standpoint, the Playbook we saw today looks pretty close to complete and if it's not it can't be too far off, again I could be wrong.
    Also in terms of a QNX Storm, althou still speculation here, the post by JLevy in Dec of 09 had a working Storm3. He did say it was running Flash and had widgets. Hearing that, I would MOST LIKELY, again can't be sure, believe that it was some sort of QNX software on that phone, otherwise what was it? Was it a platform that RIM scratched after they decided to put QNX on their phones or what, I don't know, or maybe it just was really an early stage QNX Storm.
    Therefore, while what you were saying about OS6 being a "stop gap" for the new browser I do believe that you are right. And I beleive that we won't see a QNX Storm anytime soon, and instead see an OS6 one. I just wish you were wrong that's all.....

Also, how the **** does Martha Stewart get her hands on a Playbook before Kevin or CX or Sal, I mean the list could go on an on I guess, just think it's pretty funny
    10-25-10 05:16 PM
    They have an app switcher and some GUI elements. They were very careful not to deviate from their script. They do have hardware prototypes, granted. So I may have been wrong on some things. However I do not see one BlackBerry API on this phone. PUSH API? Email BES integration? Java to easily bring over BlackBerry apps? Native SDK (that is already built into QNX, but will it be secure enough for BlackBerry?) My point was at this point they took a working OS and just started to bolt on their stuff.

Today they released Adobe AIR SDK for the PlayBook. Most of this was already there in QNX... Granted they have been working hard to include WebKit and touch UI like multi-touch, and they have more done than I thought. I can only go off what they showed before today.

Still from what they have released I still think a late summer for JUST the PlayBook is more realistic.
    10-25-10 08:30 PM
    I figured out why they don't have Native SDK out yet. I don't think the processor in the PlayBook is x86 (Intel compatible)... But incredibly the new QNX PlayBook simulator is a plane old PC Operating System! It requires VMWARE!!! LOL! So, this makes sense if they don't have a true simulator ready to go, because doing native development would require a recompile for the real hardware later.

But I will say this is troubling. They took QNX and they threw a few screens on it. Very little innovation in the Simulator aside from what Qnx already had. True, the video at Adobe Max shows more is done (maybe)... But for them not to release more I have my doubts. This could be more of a scripted ruse then I initially thought.

I have been in on very involved mock-ups showing customers what is coming for upcoming products. It's very misleading but you can really crank out real looking stuff fast, that does not actually do anything. I am not a fan of it. I have even heard of advanced scripted power point presentations showing it like it's an actual product. Marketing can crank out alot of amazing looking non-functional stuff quickly. Just be cautious people. The only thing we are allowed to touch is this Simulator, and there is almost nothing there. It's just a Intel version of QNX with almost no interface.
    10-25-10 09:03 PM
    Do you think Martha Stewart could tell if it was just a mock up? How come she was allowed to play with it if was a scripted ruse? I'm sure others hand their hands on it not just her.
    Maybe some of what you said is correct, I mean Mike did dodge the question, as to when we could get our hands on one, from the Adobe guy. So maybe that does mean it has a long way to go or maybe they still just didn't wanna show their hand and we could see it at Xmas time.(wishful thinking)
    Which brings me back to the thread, the S3 has been know to have a working beta OS since Dec 09. Therefore wouldn't it be possible to have an almost completed working OS ready to released by now?
    We know they are protecting leaks on this phone. So just like they aren't showing their hand on the Playbook, in terms of a release date, the same holds true for the S3.
    If Apple is able to keep leaks and production info about new products so secretive, who's to say RIM can't? So why couldn't we see the QNX S3 at Xmas time and make us Storm chasers very very happy....
    10-27-10 09:18 PM
    Interesting discussion. I think RIM has learned from rushing things into production. They are taking their time. Keep in mind as well that the initial PlayBook offering is Carrier Agnostic. So currently RIM pushes OS testing on the carriers. Well they can't do that with the PlayBook. So they may have a fairly decent working model, but need to build the ark as far as Testing this thing thoroughly. They cannot afford a bad release.

I don't doubt we'll see it, and Brian may be right that we are looking Summer 2011 and not Spring. RIM is notorious for Delays in releases. That is one reason why they are a bit obtuse about announcing dates these days.

At this point I think the biggest challenge they have is in the delivery model, meaning no carrier. How are they QAing this? Who will retail it? How will support be offered? Launching a product like this requires a lot of logistics and infrastructure in retail and support chains that RIM does not have because they always delivered their products through Carriers. They have a lot to do in concert with developing the OS, Hardware, etc. I am sure they don't want Hands On videos rolling around for 6 months before the product hits the market, even if it looks good. You need to be able to go buy it, and then call someone for help in setting it up, or if you have issues, etc. You can't just walk back into your local VZW or ATT store here.
    10-28-10 11:49 AM
    In trying to find any info I can these days on the Storm 3, it got me thinking after I read a few old articles again. Does anyone think that maybe the next S3 might not actually be running OS6 or even be QNX?

From the beginning JLevy had said that the Storm 3 he saw was running and OS that was 5.1. Granted this was back in 09 when 5.0 was just coming out so at that time it would seem realistic that he was right. Also, I remember reading on here way back that 5.1 turned into OS6 I believe. However, even now with the leaked S3 pic that CX posted, the documentation in the picture still speak of an OS 5 something running on the device and augmented reality. Now it still could obviously be true that the CX S3 pic is a very old pic, however if it's more recent then why are they still talking about an OS in the 5 range??
    BlackBerry Home Screen Widgets Incoming?

The above article is old, I know, and we mistook it for what OS6 would look like. However, what if this is the other OS that is actually gonna be on the new Storm? The article does point out that these screenshots are of widgets that the S3 is said to have and we know OS6 doesn't have the capability of this. So what do you think?
    In discussing things with Brian is does seem like QNX has some time to go here before it's actually done even on the Playbook. So the chances of it coming out on a new S3 before the Playbook really just don't seem realistic.
    So does anyone think maybe RIM has something else up their sleeve or am I just REALLY reaching here
    If I am right thou and this new OS for the S3 is still built on the old OS5 kernel then I'm afraid it may be a fail anyway. Or what if I am right but they later scrapped this OS when they purchased QNX, which means we will even have a longer wait for a competitive S3.
    Who knows, but I just thought I throw this out there....
    10-28-10 02:40 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD