View Poll Results: How Divided Are We? What Do You Want For the Next Device?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • All’s Well

7 12.07%
  • Bigger

5 8.62%
  • Smaller

13 22.41%
  • Priv Style

21 36.21%
  • Passport Dreams

9 15.52%
  • Don’t Care

3 5.17%
06-28-19 07:57 PM
128 ... 23456
tools
  1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Well, slabmakers have been "turning heads" for several years now, despite making slabs that look nearly identical to their prior versions.

So I don't see why a well-made KEY3 can't do the same..
    I agree. Problem is that the pkb segment of customers is fragmented... some want small phones, others like me want large pkbs... one thing we all want is quality screen, camera, etc.... one pkb does not fit all "pkb lovers"....

For me, KeyOne and two had screens and particularly pkb's that were too small... hence I continue with passport...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-19 09:49 PM
    For me, KeyOne and two had screens and particularly pkb's that were too small... hence I continue with passport...

Posted via CB10
    Except... the Passport has the same screen size as the KEY phones, it just has it in 1:1 as opposed to 3:2
    03-04-19 11:07 PM
    The keyboard form factor provides opportunities BlackBerry Mobile hasn't really taken advantage of yet.

Make the next device Q10 size, but lose the upper bezel and the capacitive button row. Make it all screen above the keyboard, and put the front camera below the keyboard in the bottom bezel.

That way you'd get a half-decent screen size in a compact device that you might actually want to carry.

Oh, and on the main question, I'd say we're super-divided, as usual.
    03-04-19 11:35 PM
    The keyboard form factor provides opportunities BlackBerry Mobile hasn't really taken advantage of yet.

Make the next device Q10 size, but lose the upper bezel and the capacitive button row. Make it all screen above the keyboard, and put the front camera below the keyboard in the bottom bezel.

That way you'd get a half-decent screen size in a compact device that you might actually want to carry.

Oh, and on the main question, I'd say we're super-divided, as usual.
    I thought of them stretching the screen to the top and placing the selfie camera on the chin since there has to be one, but there are other problems...

What about the earpiece? Proximity sensor?

I guess the LED light could be incorporated in the display itself if it's AMOLED
    03-05-19 08:08 AM
    I thought of them stretching the screen to the top and placing the selfie camera on the chin since there has to be one, but there are other problems...

What about the earpiece? Proximity sensor?

I guess the LED light could be incorporated in the display itself if it's AMOLED
    I suspect the earpiece could actually be on the top edge of the phone and remain functional. As for the proximity sensor, perhaps in the chin too?

I like the idea of an AMOLED Notification dot. That's brilliant.
    03-05-19 09:40 AM
    I suspect the earpiece could actually be on the top edge of the phone and remain functional. As for the proximity sensor, perhaps in the chin too?
    Not sure how that would work out but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I like the idea of an AMOLED Notification dot. That's brilliant.
    It could open up the possibility of having the notification dot different size, brightness, placement... you name it
    03-05-19 01:32 PM
    If I had more expertise, I'd write to BlackBerry about licensing a keyboard and start a crowdfunding campaign.

If I had fewer scruples, I'd just start a crowdfunding campaign for an illusory concept device and abscond with the money, like so many others....
    03-05-19 07:12 PM
    If I had more expertise, I'd write to BlackBerry about licensing a keyboard and start a crowdfunding campaign.

If I had fewer scruples, I'd just start a crowdfunding campaign for an illusory concept device and abscond with the money, like so many others....
    I don't think BlackBerry keyboard patents are for sale. I would bet they have had offers.
    03-07-19 04:57 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry keyboard patents are for sale. I would bet they have had offers.
    That would be a shame.

It would be nice to see the keyboards available to manufacturers for a reasonable licensing fee, so that (for example), we could get a BlackBerry keyboard on a feature phone, or a rootable Android handset, etc. Different phones for different people, you know?

Right now, those great keyboards are only available with (IMO) a really lame locked down version of Android. I'd never buy an Android phone I couldn't root and customize.
    03-07-19 08:39 PM
    That would be a shame.

It would be nice to see the keyboards available to manufacturers for a reasonable licensing fee, so that (for example), we could get a BlackBerry keyboard on a feature phone, or a rootable Android handset, etc. Different phones for different people, you know?

Right now, those great keyboards are only available with (IMO) a really lame locked down version of Android. I'd never buy an Android phone I couldn't root and customize.
    BlackBerry = security and having that iconic keyboard on a rootable android I'm afraid is going to be a dream for quite some time.

If the BlackBerry keyboard got onto a new Galaxy device or even an iPhone that would be the end of BlackBerry phones as we know it.
    03-07-19 08:45 PM
    I'm in the "all's well" catagory myself.

atleast BB is still around to make phones we as fans should be supportive of its overall brand.

like, let's be honest, the reason BB10 didn't do so well is because alot of folks held on to the BB7 phones and then bash at the updates at whatever chance they get.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-16-19 09:28 PM
    I'm in the "all's well" catagory myself.

atleast BB is still around to make phones we as fans should be supportive of its overall brand.

like, let's be honest, the reason BB10 didn't do so well is because alot of folks held on to the BB7 phones and then bash at the updates at whatever chance they get.
    I, for one, went kicking and screaming to BB10. Then kicking and screaming to GooBerry.
    03-17-19 01:11 PM
    If the BlackBerry keyboard got onto a new Galaxy device or even an iPhone that would be the end of BlackBerry phones as we know it.
    A lot of people said the same thing about BBM.
    03-20-19 06:59 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    A lot of people said the same thing about BBM.
    Already the end of bbry phones for all but a few.....and those few hold on to older models, mostly

Posted via CB10
    03-20-19 11:49 AM
    Apple making an iPhone with a keyboard is about as likely as Apple making an iPhone with a headphone jack. For some reason Apple hates buttons (and ports).
    the_boon likes this.
    03-29-19 01:00 AM
    Apple making an iPhone with a keyboard is about as likely as Apple making an iPhone with a headphone jack. For some reason Apple hates buttons (and ports).
    Right, but what better way to take people for idiots than to remove those features (buttons, ports...) and calling it "innovation" and "courage" ?
    PRIVuser2018 and tnewton3 like this.
    04-02-19 01:45 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    At this point, being divided on pkb is moot, as nothing coming out...

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-02-19 03:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Anything that has a keyboard has my attention lol
    04-02-19 04:46 PM
    Right, but what better way to take people for idiots than to remove those features (buttons, ports...) and calling it "innovation" and "courage" ?
    Haha, this is funny. I have a buddy who just got the new iPhone and he absolutely hates not having the home button as well as the face unlock. Says the face unlock doesn't work with sunglasses on or while in bed. Wants to go back 2 versions of the iPhone to get his buttons back and no face recognition.
    04-09-19 11:41 AM
    I am so enamored by the concept by Albert Degin (which I don't think BB is doing?) ... that is all I can think about. I don't care if it has a keyboard or not :P

That is a stellar design concept.

I want a super awesome phone made by BB - awesome camera - check. keyboard or not - check
    04-09-19 11:50 AM
    "Taking people for idiots" or detailed market research resulting in selling a product that millions line up to purchase?
    towngirl and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    04-11-19 03:45 PM
    I want a smaller screen, but I'm obviously in the minority. Something just a tad bigger than the 9900 would suit me just fine. Willing to pay $500 for Key2 specs on a smaller phone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-11-19 03:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think if BBMo were going to try another PKB format... now would have been the time. The GAP between the KEY2 and presumable the KEY3 later this year at least... if way too long a gap to be "quite".

If they do another device... I expect it to look just like the existing ones.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-11-19 04:00 PM
    I am so enamored by the concept by Albert Degin (which I don't think BB is doing?) ... that is all I can think about. I don't care if it has a keyboard or not :P

That is a stellar design concept.
    It's annoying to be obsessed with a design destined never to be produced. I take it you're talking about this Passport SE-inspired design? It's a very nice concept.

For years, I've wanted this one.

Someone should just make it already. That's a phone I'd shell out iPhone-level cash to get.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-11-19 07:55 PM
    It's annoying to be obsessed with a design destined never to be produced. I take it you're talking about this Passport SE-inspired design? It's a very nice concept.

For years, I've wanted this one.

Someone should just make it already. That's a phone I'd shell out iPhone-level cash to get.
    Not sure I like the curve of that one.

Yes, talking about this one..

Shuswap and Robert Stafford like this.
    04-11-19 08:55 PM
128 ... 23456