View Poll Results: How Divided Are We? What Do You Want For the Next Device?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • All’s Well

0 0%
  • Bigger

4 12.50%
  • Smaller

8 25.00%
  • Priv Style

14 43.75%
  • Passport Dreams

4 12.50%
  • Don’t Care

2 6.25%
10-16-18 08:57 PM
59 123
tools
    I feel like a problem BlackBerry users create for the company is how torn we are on size and style. After @conite assured me that there isn’t a large enough market for a smaller device, I’m curious what kind of device everyone would like to see next and know just how screwed we are for whatever the next device may be:

-All’s well: K1/2 is the perfect size as is. Not too big, not too small, perfectly balanced.
    -Bigger: The K1/2 is too small. I need as much screen real estate as I can get.
    -Smaller: Forget the screen size, give me something ergonomic that I can use comfortably.
    -Priv Style: The Priv had it right; bigger screen with hidden keyboard. Best of both worlds.
    -Passport Dreamer: Passport size/keyboard is impossible at the moment, but it’s all I want.
    -Don’t Care: Don’t care as long as it has a keyboard.

Me personally, I am a huge fan of a 4 row keyboard around the size of the 9900 or Q10 and would love to see a device that can pull off the Android ratio at a smaller size. My phone is a communication/browsing device and everything I need to do can be done on a smaller screen that is easy to use and can fit comfortably in my hand and pocket; Get the phone out of my way.

What does everyone else think?
    06-04-18 10:34 AM
    Since the decision has been made to stick with a 3:2 aspect ratio to compromise between ergonomics and simply being able to use Android properly, if one were to make a shorter device the width of the screen would get impossibly small and have massive bezels.
    06-04-18 10:44 AM
    Since the decision has been made to stick with a 3:2 aspect ratio to compromise between ergonomics and simply being able to use Android properly, if one were to make a shorter device the width of the screen would get impossibly small.
    Or vice-versa... Going wider would make the device a lot taller. Slider is probable the only big difference that is possible.

Maybe next year with Android P and if they drop the capacitive row, three row keyboard and have a notch on top.. slightly smaller/larger devices might be possible.
    06-04-18 11:05 AM
    I'm not divided at all.

I want a Motion2 with a bump in specs and carried by AT&T.
    06-04-18 11:23 AM
    Or vice-versa... Going wider would make the device a lot taller. Slider is probable the only big difference that is possible.

Maybe next year with Android P and if they drop the capacitive row, three row keyboard and have a notch on top.. slightly smaller/larger devices might be possible.
    Android P only gets rid of the Recent Apps button (square). The home and back buttons aren't going anywhere.
    06-04-18 11:49 AM
    All's Well
    06-04-18 11:53 AM
    PRIV v2. Is a must, whether BBMo likes it or not
    CrackPriv, mbert, tazcubed and 4 others like this.
    06-04-18 01:00 PM
    I want a Priv V2, I love my original Priv, but it's starting to be really sluggish, getting antsy for it's replacement.
    mbert, tazcubed, Qorax and 2 others like this.
    06-04-18 01:33 PM
    Smaller. Even if it's just a half inch shorter.
    the_boon and hplovecraft like this.
    06-04-18 08:30 PM
    Since the decision has been made to stick with a 3:2 aspect ratio to compromise between ergonomics and simply being able to use Android properly, if one were to make a shorter device the width of the screen would get impossibly small and have massive bezels.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b2cbe1bd7b.jpg
    I'm aware that Android can't handle anything other than 3:2. This was a poll just to get an idea of what the market wants.
    Qorax likes this.
    06-04-18 08:30 PM

I know there is a limitation with Android and that it's not built around devices that have varying structures that go outside of the norm, but like I said with Conite, I'm just curious what BlackBerry users want.
    06-04-18 08:36 PM
    I know there is a limitation with Android and that it's not built around devices that have varying structures that go outside of the norm, but like I said with Conite, I'm just curious what BlackBerry users want.
    It's not really about limitations imposed by Android - it's about a consensus view on what screen ratio is the most functional and ergonomic. Google then formalized the rules to make apps and the ecosystem less fragmented and easier to support.
    06-04-18 09:04 PM
    Does not Android support 4:3 ? Regardless , a narrower shorter Android PKB device might be feasible however I agree with Conite that the market might not exist.

I would think that a PRIV 2 might sell much better. The PRIV was reasonably popular amongst Enterprise users and could be so again.
    mbert, tazcubed and Qorax like this.
    06-04-18 09:15 PM
    Does not Android support 4:3 ?
    Yes. But it seems BlackBerry felt 3:2 was the smallest they should go to deliver a decent Android experience.
    06-04-18 09:17 PM
    I'm not divided at all.

I want a Motion2 with a bump in specs and carried by AT&T.
    Count me in. @markmall would you sign the Android Brigade petition?
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-04-18 10:40 PM
    I'm for it, although if they actually made the Priv2 as wide as the Passport, taller by ratio, and a better keyboard (even the one in the Key2) I would be in heaven.
    06-05-18 10:27 AM
    I'm for it, although if they actually made the Priv2 as wide as the Passport, taller by ratio, and a better keyboard (even the one in the Key2) I would be in heaven.
    That would be a pretty fat phone! Like stuffing an old school desk calculator in my front pockets! Ouch!
    06-05-18 10:31 AM
    The problem is that they keep sticking to those damn square a** top corners, it makes the device look huge.

Grab existing K1, cram the earpiece, selfie cam, light sensor, LED light and instead of that awful top block cap, make it rounded off like the 9900, same for bottom.

Rounding off the device will help give it a more compact feel, I don't understand why BBMo keeps clinging to the Passport's squaredness like it's the only way to go.

Just grab the Classic, stretch it up to have the 3:2 or something.

I really hope the BBE-100 will be a much more round device, it'll look less like a brick.

Stop copying Passport's square top corners with every device! I'm starting to hate the Passport just for that lol
    DWonder and Bbnivende like this.
    06-05-18 10:59 AM
    The problem is that they keep sticking to those damn square a** top corners, it makes the device look huge.

Grab existing K1, cram the earpiece, selfie cam, light sensor, LED light and instead of that awful top block cap, make it rounded off like the 9900, same for bottom.

Rounding off the device will help give it a more compact feel, I don't understand why BBMo keeps clinging to the Passport's squaredness like it's the only way to go.

Just grab the Classic, stretch it up to have the 3:2 or something.

I really hope the BBE-100 will be a much more round device, it'll look less like a brick.

Stop copying Passport's square top corners with every device! I'm starting to hate the Passport just for that lol
    I suspect it's easier to stuff all those components into a square body. Rounded coroners would mean more customized components, thus more cost... just a guess.

Or maybe they like how it is different...
    06-05-18 11:32 AM
    Priv 2 style. BIG panoramic screen + physical keyboard. The slider mechanism was the way to go...

Just take the original Priv, change the processor, add more RAM and more battery. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    Gael78ii, Qorax, tazcubed and 3 others like this.
    06-06-18 06:46 PM
    That would be a pretty fat phone! Like stuffing an old school desk calculator in my front pockets! Ouch!
    I'm sure there's enough people who are also suggesting that the Priv was too big and they want a smaller handset with yet another minuscule screen. For the sake of my eyes, I would go big - something phablet sized would be great. Given other manufacturers are either currently producing or venturing into larger phones why can't Blackberry/TCL? I think they could make it bigger, about the size of an iPhone 8 Plus or approaching an iPad Mini and it would make money.
    06-06-18 08:40 PM
    I'm sure there's enough people who are also suggesting that the Priv was too big and they want a smaller handset with yet another minuscule screen. For the sake of my eyes, I would go big - something phablet sized would be great. Given other manufacturers are either currently producing or venturing into larger phones why can't Blackberry/TCL? I think they could make it bigger, about the size of an iPhone 8 Plus or approaching an iPad Mini and it would make money.
    In all honesty, I never really liked the Priv. I thought the physical design was poor and somewhat clunky. Having said that, TCL's MO with BlackBerry is to create a unique PKB niche. The key2 is a winner and a nice solid upgrade from the keyone that many of us were asking for. Some argue for a t cheaper version of the Key2 for enterprise. However, enterprise already gets hardware deals and if price is truly an issue, the keyone will be steeply discounted going forward. So I don't think TCL will waste energy building a cheaper key2. There is a market for a big screen device and a carefully redesigned slider could work. A 5.2-5.5 inch screen could sport a decent battery underneath along with a keyboard making it distinctively BlackBerry. Solid clean lines, no chins or rolled screen edges like the Priv. If TCL could pull it off keeping the phone under 1000 CDN, there would be a market.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-18 06:42 AM
    In all honesty, I never really liked the Priv. I thought the physical design was poor and somewhat clunky. Having said that, TCL's MO with BlackBerry is to create a unique PKB niche. The key2 is a winner and a nice solid upgrade from the keyone that many of us were asking for. Some argue for a t cheaper version of the Key2 for enterprise. However, enterprise already gets hardware deals and if price is truly an issue, the keyone will be steeply discounted going forward. So I don't think TCL will waste energy building a cheaper key2. There is a market for a big screen device and a carefully redesigned slider could work. A 5.2-5.5 inch screen could sport a decent battery underneath along with a keyboard making it distinctively BlackBerry. Solid clean lines, no chins or rolled screen edges like the Priv. If TCL could pull it off keeping the phone under 1000 CDN, there would be a market.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not in disagreement about the issues you mention - the curved screen activates apps unexpectedly, the keyboard was too cramped, the balance with the keyboard was too top heavy, the issues over processing power and battery durability. I think, though, it just needed refinement and it could actually work out quite well. I would hope for a larger screen, but I would still consider it if it was in the same 5.2-5.5 inch size you're mentioning.
    06-09-18 01:31 PM
    Some days I visit the CrackBerry forum hoping I will find a new thread without Conite's response . It has became a dream at this point...

ConiteBerry forum!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-18 03:50 PM
    Some days I visit the CrackBerry forum hoping I will find a new thread without Conite's response . It has became a dream at this point...

ConiteBerry forum!

Posted via CB10
    At least there’s a CB10 version still.... or you wouldn’t have anything to dream about. LOL
    rajashekar sanga likes this.
    06-09-18 07:20 PM
59 123