So an idea struck me the other day, and it gained a little more traction with the sudden news of a new full touch device this week, so I thought I'd share it with you.

BlackBerry has supposedly taken a hard stance against leaks, and it has been successful for the Classic and this new touch device (unless it turns out to be the Z3 LTE). We have seen tidbits about the Passport, but they seem to be rather controlled - of course BlackBerry wants to get people talking about this revolutionary device, it's helped keep the stock stable and generate massive interest, even among Android and iOS users.

So my incredibly hopeful theory, is that maybe BlackBerry has even bigger surprises for us this fall and early 2015... A whole line of new devices! Better yet, an entire classic lineup (Bold, Curve and Torch - don't use Storm name but a new full touch)
    Now this is simply a dream, but the fact that they have been successful in keeping the Classic details quiet, and that Foxconn now takes the risk on inventory means this is in the realm of possibility. Make a limited run of a full Classic line of phones, and generate some major buzz, and peak the interest of those who have left BlackBerry because now they can have back everything they loved but with BB10.

I know it is a far fetched idea, surely subject to a lot of criticism, but keep your minds open. Chen has done a very good job so far, and this could be the kind of trick that just might work, and work very well. What do you think?

BB for Life
    08-16-14 08:58 PM
    So the smallest one-company smartphone platform will have the most device models? That would be interesting given the tremendous downsizing the company has experienced over the past year or two. What the carriers supposed to do? Approve all those phones and give them shelf space in the stores? How is this supposed to take care of the unsold inventory problem which JC has sworn not to repeat.

Your theory is nice fantasy but makes no business sense, unfortunately. The only way that Blackberry can hope to make a profit on smartphones is to pare down models, pare down inventory, reduce R&D expense, and move away from the consumer smartphone market. Acquiring new customers in this market is hellishly expensive. The Blackberry you are thinking of - the one that competes in the broader smartphone market - simply doesn't exist anymore.
    08-16-14 09:11 PM
    Also, the lack of news about the classic isn't due to controlled leaks, it's due to lack of interest for the device; as evidenced by how dead the classic sub-forum is (and this a a BlackBerry fan site, ha).

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 11:00 PM
    I don't think lack of news, or lack of forum discussion, is the direct response to lack of interest. I think there is a concerted effort to push the passport and there are more leaks of it meaning more opportunity for discussion. I believe once the passport release passes and the classic release date gets closer there will be both more leaks and more discussion about it. The next handset is passport, so it gets the most hype for now.
    iToya likes this.
    08-17-14 10:51 AM
    I applaud your enthusiasm. I do feel like Chen does has something up his sleeve for the early part of 2015, but an entire line of phones isn't it. I'm not even thinking about new devices. I'm thinking he's going to focus on hitting the business market harder than before and really continue pushing the Passport, Classic and BES subs.

Maybe one new touch device to update the Z30, but definitely no rush there.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:31 AM
    Thank you, and I do agree, he is focused on BES and positioning the company in a positive light to start winning back the confidence, and business of large enterprises.

But to clarify, to all those who responded, I'm not really suggesting that many models..

Bold (so far known as Classic)- Q10 replacement
    Curve - Q5 replacement
    Torch* - Z10 replacement
    Passport
    Z30 (maybe EOL after "Z20"?)
    (Khan doesn't really count, all PD phones have been special order, out of reach, and basically unknown to most people)

*Yes the Torch is different than the Z10, but the Z30 provides an impressive all-touch, and with Z10 shortcomings it should be replaced so all-touch seekers go to the Z30 instead.

I don't see how this plan would be so unreasonable, apart from the addition of the Torch it's basically not even suggesting much more than we know, except for a Q5 successor. It's been two years, it is not unreasonable for them to replace our beloved Z and Q lines, I'm sure they will have inventory to sell still just like you can still buy old Samsung and Apple phones, but in the public eye it's time for new devices, and the "Classic" line could be just what it takes.

BB for Life
    08-25-14 06:22 PM
    I don't understand the amount of negativity some people do throw in here. Some people wants blackberry to just Leave consumer market without any fight. And still they "brag" about business theories they claim aren't right! What kind of stupidity is this? I totally agree with the OP and hopefully Blackberry after the 15% jump of Q2 over Q1 this year is turning the tide for the best.