09-25-18 12:55 PM
28 12
tools
    Here is a question I present to the Blackberry bean counters,..."will Blackberry ever release another 'High End" device that competes with say,...the Samsung GS 9,...GS9+,...Huawei Mate 9,...Mate 10,...iPhone Xs, X-Max?" Will Blackberry users be reduced to 2nd tier devices,...or does anyone at Blackberry headquarters think BB users deserve,...and would purchase a high-end BB device that's on the same level of performance,..features,...and capabilities as those mentioned?

Mr. Chen,...what say you?
    09-20-18 10:03 AM
    Here is a question I present to the Blackberry bean counters,..."will Blackberry ever release another 'High End" device that competes with say,...the Samsung GS 9,...GS9+,...Huawei Mate 9,...Mate 10,...iPhone Xs, X-Max?" Will Blackberry users be reduced to 2nd tier devices,...or does anyone at Blackberry headquarters think BB users deserve,...and would purchase a high-end BB device that's on the same level of performance,..features,...and capabilities as those mentioned?

Why are you asking John Chen? He’s the CEO of BB Ltd and they haven’t made any phones after exiting hardware two years ago.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-20-18 10:05 AM
    From BlackBerry... no they are out of the hardware business.

From BBMo.... no their "costs" are too high. From them a high end BlackBerry would make RED's Hydrogen One phone look like a value.

From someone else (after BBMo)... doubtful. Expect that BBMo failure will pretty much seal the fate of PKB phones in general. There will still be a market for them, but they won't be high end flagships. Mid grade utility phones is probable the best that should be expected.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-20-18 10:47 AM
    Then perhaps,...I should ask him to 'Forward' my message! LOL! Ty
    09-20-18 10:52 AM
    Then perhaps,...I should ask him to 'Forward' my message! LOL! Ty
    The "message" has been heard... lots of others want it too, there are dozens of these flagship request threads.

Heck some are still waiting for the flagship Z50....

BlackBerry is a niche brand that has associated cost that others do not...
    09-20-18 11:21 AM
    The "message" has been heard... lots of others want it too, there are dozens of these flagship request threads.

Heck some are still waiting for the flagship Z50....

BlackBerry is a niche brand that has associated cost that others do not...
    Everyone in those threads want it............ until they see the price BlackBerry would charge. Then the story would instantly change to 'BlackBerry blew it again on pricing!, I can buy <insert device> for less!' for quite a few of them lol.
    09-21-18 10:54 PM
    Everyone in those threads want it............ until they see the price BlackBerry would charge. Then the story would instantly change to 'BlackBerry blew it again on pricing!, I can buy <insert device> for less!' for quite a few of them lol.
    It's always the same people who complain about price. There are many of us who would gladly shell out the cash for a high end device, knowing that we would pay a premium for a BlackBerry device.
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-21-18 11:46 PM
    It's always the same people who complain about price. There are many of us who would gladly shell out the cash for a high end device, knowing that we would pay a premium for a BlackBerry device.
    No doubt. I just want them to build one:

1) To prove they can.
    2) To fill the void in the lineup.
    09-21-18 11:50 PM
    So many manufacturers make high spec'd devices. I don't know why people want a high spec BlackBerry slab, it would be identical to everything else on the market.

I think the BlackBerry brand would do better to release a compact mini device than a high spec phablet. It would be unique and true to the brand.
    09-22-18 01:16 AM
    high end /= "high spec". OP confuse with that. BBMo is target "business" and large number of potential BB users - in countries that currency still not stable (like india), better not think about "high spec". stay with nitch of BB until following:
    (1) oil price goes to north of 100 - 9983 sold well in oil rich country - high end rings well in cash register there.
    (2) Chinese stock market (specifically, HK) went up to record high (currently down 25-30% this year alone I believe) - 9982 sold out there in good old days.
    (3) build up BB brand before high end come out - BBMo need better marketing... high end - 9983/9982 either has high spec, just good design that differentiate. with 5G coming, it is a chance for BBMo to do so (within a year), but not before - release only in countries that 5G ready... otherwise, just like Indian market got K1 - network not ready but blame the handset (hardware) short coming - consumer DOESN'T know better... it damage the brand due to mis-information... IMHO.
    09-22-18 05:42 AM
    So many manufacturers make high spec'd devices. I don't know why people want a high spec BlackBerry slab, it would be identical to everything else on the market.

I think the BlackBerry brand would do better to release a compact mini device than a high spec phablet. It would be unique and true to the brand.
    The problem is that it costs just as much or more to build a small device because of non standardized components. Who’s going to pay for uniqueness in any meaningful quantities to recoup the initial costs and generate any profits?
    09-22-18 06:27 AM

I would like to see high end BB device, it shouldn't be a slab. Full spec'ed, at least 700-850$ will be a sweet spot.
    Sigewif and JMDBERRY like this.
    09-22-18 08:31 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

1) To prove they can.
    Agreed and what I have been saying all along... I will buy the top end Samsung S10 as a backup phone next spring and continue using my Passport..until I see a top end bbry pkb phone....

Posted via CB10
    09-22-18 09:19 AM
    It should be noted that the limited quantities of BB devices that can be sold + the inherent markup of the brand, the "security", and (presumably) the physical keyboard mean that a hypothetical highest-end BB device should be pushing Note 9/iPhone levels in price. Whether that translates to Note 9/iPhone levels in specs, probably not.
    09-22-18 12:50 PM
    Bla1ze for Pres......me for VP!
    09-23-18 10:28 PM
    Hmm,....well, the GS 9+ was listed for $949 at BB. Yet,..I didn't pull the trigger! Nearly $1000 for a phone,...any phone is a bit much! That said,...I waited one week,...and there was a $200,..or $220 (...forget the exact number) discount if one buys out-right! Since I had a $499 BB phone return gift card,....it was a no brainer to just buy the GS 9+ out-right!
    Plus,...there was no reason to jump to the GS Note,...as they both have the Qualcomm 845 chipset!

So,...for now, I'm good on phones 'til the 5G phones arrive next year! Of which,...BB prolly won't have anything on the high side for me to even consider!
    09-23-18 10:33 PM
    I think they should build a high end device, even if it’s expensive. They need to fill in that gap... typically high end device will help sell their mid and lower end devices. It’s all about brand perception.
    09-23-18 10:43 PM
    "Op Not Confused"! Op only left BB,...for Mate 9 because there was nothing in BB line-up that even came close to the Mate 9's performance,...let alone specs. I decided to go with the Mate 9 after making a post here on CB.Com,,...of which a board member recommended the Mate 9. At first,...and I'm talking several months,...I didn't even look at the Mate 9,...and then all of a sudden, I was at BB,...they had a Mate 9,...On Sale! The rest was history! I left BB to become an Android Man! Additionally, since BB 10 was DEAD!,....I had but 2 choices,...iPhone or Android! So, since I've already adjusted to the Android OS,....I thought I'd make a return to BB,...but only after the Mfr of BB devices step of their game seriously and offer a High End device! Not everyone want to make do with a Ford,..Chevy,...or a Toyota! Sometimes we prefer a Porsche!

So, again, the OP,...a long time BB user,...defender, etc., knows the value of owning a BB,...as well as the prestige that comes with such ownership,...that is, if such still exists!

PS: Had the Mfr of BB made something on par with the Mate 9,...I would have considered
    2 devices! :-)
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 09-25-18 at 07:16 AM.
    09-23-18 10:43 PM

1) To prove they can.
    Exactly!
    09-23-18 10:48 PM
    Everyone in those threads want it............ until they see the price BlackBerry would charge. Then the story would instantly change to 'BlackBerry blew it again on pricing!, I can buy for less!' for quite a few of them lol.
    I would buy one. Too bad the art of saving up for something is almost lost. If there was a credible possibility that there'd be a high end device released in, say, 11 months, or when 5G comes available, then putting aside some money (for example, $75) each month would make it affordable at release or shortly thereafter. Indeed, it would make it so much easier if people would start a cellphone savings plan.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 09-24-18 at 01:58 AM.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    09-24-18 01:37 AM
    Personally, I want a high spec'd pkb device, not a slab. TCL seems to be headed that way with the KEY series. At least the KEY2 is better spec'd than the KEYone. I think there is a place for a BlackBerry all touch, but the main focus where they can shine is with pkb devices.
    09-24-18 01:45 AM
    high end /= "high spec". OP confuse with that. BBMo is target "business" and large number of potential BB users - in countries that currency still not stable (like india), better not think about "high spec". stay with nitch of BB until following:
    (1) oil price goes to north of 100 - 9983 sold well in oil rich country - high end rings well in cash register there.
    (2) Chinese stock market (specifically, HK) went up to record high (currently down 25-30% this year alone I believe) - 9982 sold out there in good old days.
    (3) build up BB brand before high end come out - BBMo need better marketing... high end - 9983/9982 either has high spec, just good design that differentiate. with 5G coming, it is a chance for BBMo to do so (within a year), but not before - release only in countries that 5G ready... otherwise, just like Indian market got K1 - network not ready but blame the handset (hardware) short coming - consumer DOESN'T know better... it damage the brand due to mis-information... IMHO.
    I agree with coming out with 5G compatible BlackBerry devices where 5G comes available (as soon as it is available). Timing is important. Game changer, they say. Being ready when/wherw 5G is ready is important.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    09-24-18 01:52 AM

1) To prove they can.
    And 3) for me to buy so I can get my swagger back.
    09-24-18 04:19 PM
    I agree with coming out with 5G compatible BlackBerry devices where 5G comes available (as soon as it is available). Timing is important. Game changer, they say. Being ready when/wherw 5G is ready is important.
    I think 5G is going to be more a game changer for those that don't have access to wired internet connections. Or if Carrier's offer more reasonable home plans to compete with cable companies on internet.

Phones... little faster would be nice, but 4G is pretty quick for most peoples needs. Streaming or Video Calling is about the biggest issues. But yeah 5G will be the buzz word towards the end of next year....
    09-25-18 10:32 AM
    TCL / BBMo is making progress. I suspect they will have a business case to continue to ramp up the specs as long as people are buying. It's going to take some time though, so people need to be patient, continue to demand better specs in customer feedback, and most importantly BUY THEIR PRODUCTS.
    09-25-18 11:01 AM
28 12