04-08-10 08:47 AM
57 123
tools
    Adjustability in the surepress mechanism is key - 'berries are known to be super customizable, and yet that area, for now, is off limits.

As for the trackpad being on the slider, I can see, but at the same time, perhaps it's not a great idea?

What if I was holding the phone horizontally and wanted to navigate through web pages with one hand? Were I to hold it in one hand, my thumb could easily flick through webpages without having to obstruct my view. It allows access across the entire plane of the screen without having to jump your hand across the screen.
    That's a good point, I suppose it depends on how close your hand would be to the trackpad/trackball. If the sliding keyboard doesn't leave your hand too far away, then having it below the screen could work, but if its a reach for the fingers I still think it would be better to place it on the keyboard, because with the keyboard slid up chances are you'll probably be using the screen to navigate in the first place.

And lol at us going back and fourth on the design of an imaginairy phone, its fun though.
    12-27-09 09:13 PM
    as a kid, it looks ugly! im sorry but the big screen is just waiting for scratches. The idea of the front camera is nice. The keyboard is to close to the phone too. good design though
    12-27-09 09:59 PM
    Wow, thats an awesome sketch! just a thought, if people dont want the keyboard to end up flush, maybe the mechanism will have 2 settings, One to end up like the palm pre, and the other setting to have it end up flush with the screen. Or maybe take it one step further, and have the keyboard on a servo, and set to the setting the owner wants... Press a convenience key and out slides your keyboard... But that involves more parts to fail or get in the way.. lol its just a thought.
    12-27-09 10:43 PM
    Wow, thats an awesome sketch! just a thought, if people dont want the keyboard to end up flush, maybe the mechanism will have 2 settings, One to end up like the palm pre, and the other setting to have it end up flush with the screen. Or maybe take it one step further, and have the keyboard on a servo, and set to the setting the owner wants... Press a convenience key and out slides your keyboard... But that involves more parts to fail or get in the way.. lol its just a thought.
    Yeah that does sound like too many moving, flimsy parts. Everyone seems so against a traditional slider device, think that they're too fragile. I think RIM could build a great, durable slider, I mean look at the droid, everyones always talking about how solid of a device it is, and its a slider.

And another question, how should RIM rework the UI to be more touch friendly? I've had what I think is a good idea on this subject, customisable touch gesture shortcuts. Now bear with me, you have your two shortcut keys on either side of the device, which you would hold down throughout the gesture to put the screen in shortcut mode. From there, you do a two part gesture, think "swipe down, then back up", a custom directional gesture that's associated with your most used apps. You would be able to add new gestures in, and when you think about it if your just using two, left/right/up/down motions, its a simple system that leaves you with dozens of options.

Just my little idea
    12-28-09 10:55 AM
    Wow your sketches FTW! Although it does look like more of a fashion phone than a functional phone. and would there be a camera on the back of the phone? because recording videos in 720 means nothing if you cant see what you are recording.
    01-11-10 04:47 PM
    You're absolutely correct. Sometimes when designing one element to make things easier, another element that was once easy isn't so easy anymore.

I thought that by allowing it to be flush with the screen, it would prevent people's thumbs from hitting the bottom of the screen part. My justification is that we always use 2 hands to type. The trackpad is on the screen part, so it's always there ready for navigation, one handed-wise that is.

But I see what you're talking about

And sure, Dual Core sounds even better. You know, when I go on trips now, I dont even bring my laptop anymore, I do everything from my Tour - mobile phones are going in that direction. 627mhz just isn't enough these days, RIM seems to always cheap out on processor speeds, which is ridiculous because it can run multiple apps, so we NEED faster speeds. 1ghz is available NOW, so why an Essex is coming in in anything but a 1ghz is just beyond me. It's not evolving as quick as the market wants.

I wish I could sit at their meetings and tell them what the people want. Because what they deliver most of the time is just the same rehashed crap. Sure, I'd have a hard time living without my blackberry because I'm so connected to it, but damn, Apple and Google's interfaces are making me salivate.
    Regarding your last paragraph. The only reason they offer the same rehashed cap is because this is how they make lots of money. In order to design a new device, and then bring it to market is quite expensive. Putting 1ghz+ processors, liquid lenses, high res screens and then trying to convince a Verizon Wireless, or AT&T that they should buy this revolutionary device leads to lower margins and lower profit in the short run for RIM. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely purchase this device a long with many others but how many? Specifically, how many new BlackBerry users? It might succeed in the long term, but I doubt there are many incentives for RIM to do this to while obtaining their short term goals of making large profits that increase their share price and make their shareholders happy. RIM has a fantastic business going!

But from an economic perspective, how long will this last? Is this healthy for consumers? Other competitors? And the wireless industry? I think a lot of answers lie in the model that carriers, especially North American carriers, have with current handset manufacturers. Disguising the true price of a handset to the consumer by offering it at prices much much lower than cost by locking customers in to multi year contracts with expensive voice and data plans and not to forget the enormous cancellation fees. This is not healthy for competition and leaves the end-users (consumers) out in the cold. This kind of behaviour helps the handset manufactures and even wireless carriers to keep prices higher, allowing them to make large profits, while the consumers take majority of the burden.

In my opinion, if we as consumers did not lock into multi years contracts and paid money for their phones and had a choice of any carriers at any time; it would only lead to better phones at lower prices with manageable carrier plans. And about your sketch, amazing. I especially love the long screen (vertical design) with the authentic BlackBerry keyboard at the bottom. I hope more and more people like you come out and show their sketches and bring more and more discussion like this to these forums.
    Last edited by SurrealCivic; 01-11-10 at 07:46 PM.
    01-11-10 07:44 PM
    Looks nice. If the had the Snapdragon in that
    01-14-10 04:01 PM
    "by locking customers in to multi year contracts with expensive voice and data plans and not to forget the enormous cancellation fees. This is not healthy for competition and leaves the end-users (consumers) out in the cold"

Really? I think consumers are dead set on carrier for the most part. More than happy to sign 2 year agreement.

My design for a new smartphone, one that get's faster as time goes on because it gets rid of all the stuff you don't use, and purges it's memory of all usless crap. Faster after 2 years, than when the day you bought it.

I don't mind a little AI in the OS.
    01-15-10 12:09 AM
    i would buy it in a heartbeat. but they will never make anything that nice lol
    01-18-10 01:07 AM
    Damn i like it!!
    02-14-10 10:33 PM
    You should find someone to build one and present it to RIM you never know what could happen...........just might have a winner !
    02-14-10 11:55 PM
    niceeee...it should be called the blackberry slimmmmm lol
    02-15-10 03:51 PM
    I would buy one lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 04:57 PM
    Thanks everyone for your kind words.

RIM would never build this because my model:

Wouldn't creak
    Would feel extremely solid
    Has specs that are from 2010
    Makes sense

And as I type this on my Tour, with the shifty trackball, creaking battery door and slow as $hit OS, I really do wonder about the future of RIM. LoL.

What they need is someone like me on their Creative Direction team to truly relay to them what the people WANT.

02-17-10 10:33 PM
    Hey everyone.

So I know, I know, lots of rumors and speculations...

What I want is a blackberry with a large touchscreen and a physical keyboard that is portrait and not compromised in any way. I'm not sure why RIM would deviate away from such a winning formula and release a whole bunch of nonsense when, like Apple, they can have one standard winning device that pleases all crowds, or at least most.

So, I'm not a designer of products by any means, and I know my drawing skills are lacking, but I've attached what I feel would be the "ultimate" device that falls into the "rumors" of this coming year.

I'll give you some specs:

Snapdragon Processor (1ghz)
    1GB internal memory
    Forward facing camera for skype/ichats
    720p recording
    8mp camera
    wifi
    world phone (and cdma, or lte4 or whatever)

On the design side, think aluminum casing, edge to edge screen...QUALITY, SUBSTANTIAL build. (Talking directly to you RIM!)

The keyboard would slide down and then raise and lock just a bit to become flush with the device so it would be like the current Tour/Bold but then the keyboard just slides away

I know, this is an unrealistic wishlist that we'll never see from RIM because they are too stupid to realize a good product if it hit them in the face and stabbed their eyes out...buuuut...I'm hoping someone, somewhere sees this and gets inspired to create a phone like this. Worst case scenario it'll be an Android phone (in my dreams...somewhere...sometime...)

So here's my pencil rendering and comments. Let me know what you guys think Be nice

I wanted to throw a fingerprint scanner but something tells me RIM just isn't on the ball with that. I can hardly get an OTA download to load without bricking my phone, so I expect my fingerprint would be too sophisticated to act as a security measure...

-pbsd

P.S. I have other renderings, but i dont think they are that good...and I can make more detailed designs of this one...

EDIT: I added another illustration, this time of a similar concept, but for the pearl series...good to watch movies on with the 16:9 display. I did this one in pen, so it's a bit cleaner looking. Same idea that the keyboard lowers a and then clicks into place for the flush look and feel.
    Wow that looks REALLY cool! They should hire you at RIM I'd get that device but it could be a little off weight, so maybe make the bottom a little heavier?
    02-18-10 01:38 AM
    Thank you! I may as well be living in Waterloo because it's so cold in NYC LOL!

I definitely thought about the weight of the device. It would certainly be weighted in such a way that it feels right to be typing on it.

02-18-10 06:19 AM
    Regarding your last paragraph. The only reason they offer the same rehashed cap is because this is how they make lots of money. In order to design a new device, and then bring it to market is quite expensive. Putting 1ghz+ processors, liquid lenses, high res screens and then trying to convince a Verizon Wireless, or AT&T that they should buy this revolutionary device leads to lower margins and lower profit in the short run for RIM. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely purchase this device a long with many others but how many? Specifically, how many new BlackBerry users? It might succeed in the long term, but I doubt there are many incentives for RIM to do this to while obtaining their short term goals of making large profits that increase their share price and make their shareholders happy. RIM has a fantastic business going!

But from an economic perspective, how long will this last? Is this healthy for consumers? Other competitors? And the wireless industry? I think a lot of answers lie in the model that carriers, especially North American carriers, have with current handset manufacturers. Disguising the true price of a handset to the consumer by offering it at prices much much lower than cost by locking customers in to multi year contracts with expensive voice and data plans and not to forget the enormous cancellation fees. This is not healthy for competition and leaves the end-users (consumers) out in the cold. This kind of behaviour helps the handset manufactures and even wireless carriers to keep prices higher, allowing them to make large profits, while the consumers take majority of the burden.

In my opinion, if we as consumers did not lock into multi years contracts and paid money for their phones and had a choice of any carriers at any time; it would only lead to better phones at lower prices with manageable carrier plans. And about your sketch, amazing. I especially love the long screen (vertical design) with the authentic BlackBerry keyboard at the bottom. I hope more and more people like you come out and show their sketches and bring more and more discussion like this to these forums.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. If you told an American person that a premium phone costs 699, they'd laugh you off and think you're nuts. In Europe, it's very much so like this. You buy the phone, and then you buy the service, and you can buy another phone without being weighted down by a contract.

However, what's wrong with a premium device that isn't attached to any carrier?

What if RIM had someone like me, who is constantly in the know about all the emerging tech for mobile devices, designing and building a handset that isn't tied to any carrier, but is premium in every sense. Nokia has Vertu. Why can't RIM have their own?

Of course, I can't justify the price of a Vertu because nothing comes close to a BB keyboard. But if Blackberry released a phone like mine, with my specs and wanted to charge someone 799 for it, I'd buy it. Snapdragon, HD video recording, hdmi out, maybe even those new camera lenses that record in RAW, a high res screen, a front facing camera, etc.

They wouldn't be losing money, if it cost 240 for all the parts, even 300, for arguments sake. And you bring up an excellent point about loading it all into one phone, why buy more? - I'll tell you why, because newer and better will always be there - screens will get better, bandwidth higher, space more valuable, cameras with better capture, battery life higher, processor speed faster and more efficient and so on. There is NOTHING wrong with RIM putting out a purchasable top of the line "concept" phone and they need to understand that.

You wrote an excellent post

As for me, if RIM really doesn't step their game up by the end of this year I am going Windows Series 7. Did you see how gorgeous that UI is?

P.s. I feel like designing another handset today

02-18-10 06:33 AM
    If they don't have a phone like this during the holidays this year, I'm switching to Android. I love my storm, but I love the keyboard on my dad's bold 9000 more than any of the virtual keyboards.

That design with the bold 9700 keyboard and storm 2 style click screen would be amazing. If they really want to raise the bar (doubtful) the screen will be OLED and it will have battery life as good as the 9700. 4G is also a must.
    02-18-10 03:49 PM
    And it has to slide like the Droid not spring assisted.
    02-18-10 03:53 PM
    I would deffo buy!

02-21-10 04:08 AM
    To the OP - *if* there are RIM people on the forum and they don't contact you immediately they are id1ots. That was an awesome design - really good thoughts in your head.
    You would definitely be an asset. Wish you the absolute best in whatever you do, but I really hope you stay in electronics designing.
    02-21-10 05:40 AM
    Your original design was amazing. The new concept for the Pearl, is not. Elongating the Pearl will not send consumers running to it. A Pearl Slider should be more compact. Take the 8200 series and turn that into a slider than a flip with the 91xx series keypad and you're gold.
    02-21-10 08:32 AM
    Oh man, you guys are too nice.

Drawing concept phones for RIM would be a dream job. I love thinking of ways for everyday objects to be more beautiful and useful.

You know, I wish RIM would release a phone that has my specs. People who say that it's too much are wrong. Newer and better things always come along. More memory, better image sensors, etc. So no, people won't be buying RIM phones every six months, or desperately awaiting a release- the reason we are desperate is because RIM's latest offerings are problem laden or antiquated on arrival.

But imagine if RIM could make a solid, gorgeous phone and focus on the future? Focus on the consumer?

02-22-10 07:41 PM
    Oh man, you guys are too nice.

Drawing concept phones for RIM would be a dream job. I love thinking of ways for everyday objects to be more beautiful and useful.

You know, I wish RIM would release a phone that has my specs. People who say that it's too much are wrong. Newer and better things always come along. More memory, better image sensors, etc. So no, people won't be buying RIM phones every six months, or desperately awaiting a release- the reason we are desperate is because RIM's latest offerings are problem laden or antiquated on arrival.

But imagine if RIM could make a solid, gorgeous phone and focus on the future? Focus on the consumer?

wow is all i can say to that!! amazing renderings, my only criticism (if you can even call it that) is maybe a little less around the housing on the top half, just looks a little busy if that makes sense, but its merely an opinion.

my other advice, copyright, send to RIM, sit back and enjoy royalties!

its actually a refreshing approach you took, as it looks like the keypad is the sliding part, with the `main body` being the screen, where the norm is the other way around, yet your design totally works!

top marks
    02-22-10 09:03 PM
    I think your dreams will become reallity(for the hardware I mean) with the talladega!

03-03-10 01:20 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD