08-20-09 10:47 PM
26 12
tools
    Does anybody know if this is going on now. Any info would be much appreciated.
    08-08-09 06:38 PM
    Does anybody know if this is going on now. Any info would be much appreciated.

am waiting for some news as well on this
    08-08-09 07:36 PM
    Have not heard th latest yet.
    08-09-09 01:27 AM
    Hopefully the driftwood doesn't take after the name....POS!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 03:24 AM
    Haven't heard, but don't worry about the Rim internal name... Driftwood. They managed to take an awesome name like the Onyx and turn it into the Merlin. I expect more of the same with the driftwood ... i.e. Houdini!!!

:Note this post was full of sarcasm please do not take this seriously.
    08-09-09 08:05 AM
    Well the Merlin was just released to AT&T's testers.T-Mobile,don't screw this up like I'm afraid you already have.Not everybody cares about UMA.

08-09-09 10:12 AM
    yah, tmo screws up a lotta things.

point and case: tmo bold. it never even had a fighting chance
    08-09-09 03:49 PM
    It's T-Mobile. I'd think that they prefer 3G to UMA because they have never advertised UMA. They're pushing their 3G network hard. But if it's the T-Mobile I've come to love and know, they'll pass the Driftwood for an upgraded 8900 with no 3G but UMA! With the TP2 all smartphone users are taken care of except for the BlackBerry users. It's the BlackBerry's time to shine with the Driftwood.
    08-10-09 12:25 AM
    Well the Merlin was just released to AT&T's testers.T-Mobile,don't screw this up like I'm afraid you already have.Not everybody cares about UMA.

I do! Not everyone cares about 3G either. It just so happens I need UMA in my house and we don't have 3G in my area yet although it should be VERY soon. Still... everyone's different
    08-10-09 09:43 AM
    I do! Not everyone cares about 3G either. It just so happens I need UMA in my house and we don't have 3G in my area yet although it should be VERY soon. Still... everyone's different
    Then you've got your choice of the 8900 or the 8520 to pick from.
    08-10-09 09:46 AM
    I work for tmo and we were informed about all the recent BB (8520, 8900, 8220) months before they landed. Only this time around there is no news, nothing, not a single hint, and all we see tmo do is becoming bigger **** buddies with samsung and releasing iterations of their phones with same specs but different exteriors.

Ive been waiting almost 1.5 years with my old 8320, bought a Bold and was forced to give it up since tmo reps are not allowed to use non-tmo phones since it makes them look bad. Tmo seriously needs to get their act together since the very recent release of the 8520 means that they will not release another BB in the near future, trust me, i will be completely shocked if the prophecy of an Sept release is fullfilled, though it probably wont happen. Im thinking may be late Q4, like Dec in time for Xmas, or Q1 2010, and thats hella long time!
    08-10-09 09:54 AM
    nothing yet..
    fsshariq is right, tmo just released the 8520 so no more berrys for some time.
    same with at&t, they releases the 8900 so no 8510...
    08-10-09 01:15 PM
    I work for tmo and we were informed about all the recent BB (8520, 8900, 8220) months before they landed. Only this time around there is no news, nothing, not a single hint, and all we see tmo do is becoming bigger **** buddies with samsung and releasing iterations of their phones with same specs but different exteriors.

Ive been waiting almost 1.5 years with my old 8320, bought a Bold and was forced to give it up since tmo reps are not allowed to use non-tmo phones since it makes them look bad. Tmo seriously needs to get their act together since the very recent release of the 8520 means that they will not release another BB in the near future, trust me, i will be completely shocked if the prophecy of an Sept release is fullfilled, though it probably wont happen. Im thinking may be late Q4, like Dec in time for Xmas, or Q1 2010, and thats hella long time!
    Now THAT'S disappointing if true. You know...sometimes paying a cancelation fee aint all that bad. You know what I mean? Of course, when you come right down to it, these carriers aren't all that different.
    08-10-09 02:41 PM
    Funny because I was just in the tmo store and the rep told me he heard about a new phone coming out around October, he said they just haven't received much info on the phone yet.
    08-10-09 02:48 PM
    wait waiting waiting!
    08-10-09 03:54 PM
    Yeah, UMA is awesome. I get no reception in my house or school, but UMA has be covered.
    Last edited by Brnkvc; 08-10-09 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
    08-10-09 03:57 PM
    this firmware is awesome
    08-10-09 04:00 PM

This is perhaps the most discouraging I have heard, ever! Wut the heck! Where did BGR get the "news" that the driftwood was coming to Tmo in september? They said 2 independent sources. Obviously these sources were misinformed, big time!
    08-10-09 04:01 PM
    yah, tmo screws up a lotta things.

point and case: tmo bold. it never even had a fighting chance
    T-Mobile Germany were the 1st to release the BOLD.
    ...and I am hoping they'll be the first to release the 9700.

(UMA capability is not available/provided here in Europe - although I am envious of you guys that have it).
    08-10-09 04:36 PM
    Just got off the phone with my TMO rep. He explained that new BB is in early testing now and is slated for a November 2009 launch. HOWEVER, they are having some issues with the device and want to get them squared away before they go live so that is the earliest date. Specifically they are having trouble with the 3G switching from Wi-Fi calling to 3G network and vice versa. Also they were having some tethering issues as well.

So we do have several things confirmed, the device will be out and it's 3G and it's on TMO.

I can't wait to upgrade, but I have to get a fix now.
    Best.
    08-10-09 04:41 PM
    I really doubt it, we wuld have heard something by now! I'm thinkin is going to hit testers around november and be released maybe late january...
    08-10-09 04:42 PM

yah what you said makes 100% sense. it just makes good business sense. too bad that screws all of us over. any news on a touch screen BB?
    08-10-09 05:42 PM

Well, tmo may not have informed you but CB have...
    http://crackberry.com/t-mobile-black...-glimpsed-wild

Perhaps, early-Q4?
    08-11-09 04:49 PM
    yah, but who knows when this device will drop. it could be a loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg while before it hits the market in the us on tmo
    08-11-09 11:52 PM
    Well, tmo may not have informed you but CB have...
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700 Glimpsed in the Wild! | CrackBerry.com

Perhaps, early-Q4?
    Ok so we see a tmo branded 9700 in the wild, Great, still doesnt do much for us. It's a picture taken by Kevin on an airport of a guys who possessed it and thats it, that is the only piece of verifiable info we have of a tmo 9700 in existance. Sure it exists but now what, we knew it existed before but all the pic does is boost morale in a way. There is nothing that tell us a definitive date, not even a definitive month or quarter when this device will be released. It could be a very very long wait as mentioned above. a fine example is the Samsung i7500 andriod phone. It has passed fcc and has been known to be coming to tmo since earlier this year: were almost in Q4 and there is no mention what so ever of this phone to be released in the near future. Point im trying to make is that this phone will come to tmobile, it definately will, but only god knows when it will since we all know that one thing that tmobile accels at is delaying things! We keep hearing a september release on forums but do you honestly, truly believe this. I dont. If i had to guess would say may be Q1. Besides BGR mentioned a Sept release a long while ago and it has never came up ever again.

A little word of advice, if you go to tmo corp stores, the reps there have little to no knowledge of upcoming handsets (they know practically as much as what is floating around on the web), they are here to tell you what you wana hear and what will bring you back or keep you with tmobile. Sure there are many nice reps that will help you out to the best of their extent and/or are experts with certian devices but its very rare if they are informed about MAJOR upcoming handsets no more than a month or in many cases, a few weeks in advance. I really do not mean to be discouraging anyone but thats what I've experienced over the past working at tmobile.
    Last edited by fsshariq; 08-12-09 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added more thoughts!
    08-12-09 09:16 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD