05-21-10 01:40 PM
306 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Don't see much occurring that is revolutionary unless they move off Java, or Oracle fixes java.

Yes a new browser and widget enabled UI will be great, but I don't think you'll see a major shift.

One thing I think they need to do is slim the OS down. If you really start going through it there are a ton of options and dynamic things that go on. And the functionality is not the stuff that people notice or care about. Like how many ways do we have to access v-mail? That is integrated into numerous flows in the OS, but Contacts falls short on begin fully integrated between phone, email, messaging, etc. Sometimes less is more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 08:41 AM
    Don't see much occurring that is revolutionary unless they move off Java, or Oracle fixes java.
    I thought Sun was responsible for Java??
    02-04-10 08:48 AM
    I thought Sun was responsible for Java??
    Oracle now owns Sun. ; )

02-04-10 08:51 AM
    Oracle now owns Sun. ; )

on a related note...

Sun CEO Tweets Resignation in Haiku - Jonathan Schwartz - Gizmodo
    02-04-10 12:42 PM
    You guys are missing the point here. Disabling sure press means major re write of OS. At least the UI. RIMs OS is designed for track balls. You scroll to something and then click on it. Without ability to click, the OS is dead in the water. RIM chose a hardware solution to get around tons of development.

Ummm, helloooo?! Opera Mini works just fine with any clicking. No OS re-write required.

The SurePress screen can do anything the iPhone screen can do, PLUS it gives the extra UI richness of also supporting clicking. It's like the Mac mouse only has one button, but a Windows mouse has two. The extra features (ability to click screen - or having an extra button on the mouse) do not take away from the capabilities of the base features.

If people want apps that work without requiring any clicking, it's just a matter of developers writing them - a la Opera Mini.

The question is, why would a developer bother? That would be like writing a Windows app and purposely designing it to work with only one mouse button and making the second mouse button not do anything?

In this case, there is one possible reason (that I can think of) - so that the same basic app can work the same way on a Storm and on all those other touch screens with lesser capabilities. However, without getting into the nitty gritty of how to develop one code base that works on iPhone OS, BB OS, and Android, I would simply have to speculate (as a professional software developer), that the other differences in the platforms would make the code different enough anyway that also being different in exactly how the UI works would not make the overall development effort any significant amount bigger.
    02-04-10 01:33 PM
    Agreed that you can develop that way, but for now the BB OS interactions seperate Selecting from Execution. So either using a Cursor, via Trackpad/ball or by touch (not clicking) you can move your focus or selection around the OS. However, to execute what you want a seperate input is required, i.e a click. Opera and other 3rd party apps work without clicking. Some even had Flick scrolling before the OS did. It is just about how you design the interactions, and RIM is not going in teh direction of Gestures just yet. They are staying point and click.

You are probably dead on about not wanting to develop different interfaces and interactions for Touch vs non touch. As it is they have so many devices out there, that the apps sometimes can only support some and not all. I tend to think they are avoiding complexity for now.
    02-04-10 01:44 PM
    To paraphrase what you said, "X is required. ABCApp works without X." Maybe you should take a logic class.

The BB OS does not separate Selection from Execution. The OS ALLOWS each APPLICATION to separate those things. Most apps choose to take advantage of this more rich UI. Opera Mini does not.

The BB OS on a Storm is not a limitation here. It is everything the iPhone OS is PLUS MORE. Clicking is an ADDITIONAL FEATURE, not a limitation in any way.
    02-05-10 10:06 AM
    To paraphrase what you said, "X is required. ABCApp works without X." Maybe you should take a logic class.

The BB OS does not separate Selection from Execution. The OS ALLOWS each APPLICATION to separate those things. Most apps choose to take advantage of this more rich UI. Opera Mini does not.

The BB OS on a Storm is not a limitation here. It is everything the iPhone OS is PLUS MORE. Clicking is an ADDITIONAL FEATURE, not a limitation in any way.
    I guess the truth is that all their Core Applications require Clicking. The OS supports more, since the screen is capacitive, and there are apparently API's, or some method that Apps can utilize. So I was off on what I was saying, and you make a great point.

The Point is that RIM would have to maintain 2 versions of their core applications and numerous aspects of the OS UI. They don't seem inclined, and I would go so far as to say capable, of doing that successfully.
    02-05-10 12:42 PM
    I for one hope S3 is real, and they launch by Summer to beat iP4 and the newer Gphones. I'm up next month, so I'll consider the S2. I've been very happy with my Curve for the last 2, best phone I've ever had.

I guess I'm stuck with BB for my business; no other brand has the desktop software that does everything. Its a deal breaker for me now. The free unlimited Data/Voice/Tether google phones seems like a deal, but their handsets are like 2 yrs old and no must-have desktop app.

I want to like the iPhone, but everyone I know with one (like 6 folks) always has a hollow sound (like their in the bathroom) when they call and they drop off constantly calling from metro areas. I used to travel a lot and never had any connectivity/clarity issues with the BB or Verizon, so I"ll deal with their less friendly pricing.

Now if Nexus had that BB desktop, Hmmmmm...
    02-07-10 12:47 AM
    I don't think you'll see S3 before the fall. Think same timing as S1 and S2. What is so important about the desktop app? It basically just let's you sync and back up your BB. I'm sure Android and iPhone have this capability, even if not in a simple desktop app.

02-08-10 08:37 AM
    Well, the BB desktop app backs up and syncs:
    Contacts
    email
    SMS
    Calendar
    Tasks
    Music
    and then just backs up:
    Videos
    Pictures
    Notes/Memo - I use this alot w/Outlook
    Voice notes

This functionality is what sold me on BB. Now I depend on it. I can't believe in 2010 all smart phones can't easily do this, and BB makes it effortless. Andriod has Google contacts (free) and iPhone has a $100 svc and does not do all the above. If I'm wrong, let me know.
    02-08-10 02:36 PM
    BB works well with Outlook. I'd be on the Nexus like a "fat man on a twinkie" if it could/can do all that!
    02-08-10 02:39 PM
    So I guess in a way BB has their Eco System to!!!

Very true as I am thinking about moving to Android or whatever come the fall, but need very solid connection to Exchange.
    02-08-10 04:14 PM
    Let's hope it's not as crappy as v1 and v2 or v.5 and v1 if that suits you better.
    02-08-10 04:31 PM
    just saw video of HTC incredible....IMO the S3 is a thing of the past...only decision now is wait for reviews between incredible and N1.
    02-08-10 09:32 PM
    You haven't even seen it ! How can you say its a thing of the past
    02-09-10 05:18 AM
    You haven't even seen it ! How can you say its a thing of the past
    The same way that the S2 was "old" before it was released. It was what the S1 should have been, remember? So it stands to reason that the S3 will be what the S2 should have been, therefore making it a year old on it's release.
    02-09-10 05:28 AM
    The same way that the S2 was "old" before it was released. It was what the S1 should have been, remember? So it stands to reason that the S3 will be what the S2 should have been, therefore making it a year old on it's release.
    These are my sentiments exactly....its not even the current bb phones I have a problem with. I love the size of my storm and even surepress does not bother me....its the bb os that I think is out dated....apple and googles phones flow so nicely, not to mention the bb browser is to slow. I really like how liquid the google and apple os flow as you use them.

02-09-10 02:03 PM
    Do you think they will increase the screen size above 3.25"? I read the 4th generation iPhone will be 3.7".
    02-09-10 02:41 PM
    just saw video of HTC incredible....IMO the S3 is a thing of the past...only decision now is wait for reviews between incredible and N1.
    256 mb of RAM. Meh
    02-09-10 04:28 PM
    The only thing here is that the S3 is (rumored) to have 512 RAM and be LTE. We don't know the chip, but if it is LTE we can expect something fast, and my understanding of LTE is that the hardware is much more efficient and should have better battery life.

And if it is LTE and drops in the fall it should be ahead of the competition since I don't know of any other rumored 4G devices with these specs.

Of course this is all rumor at this point.

02-09-10 05:13 PM
    it would make no sense for this to be lte...... and launch in fall. i know of NO lte networks in canada. and i dont think anyone is switching over before 2012....

so by being "ahead" of its time without anyone supporting it would make it as fail as the bold 9700 which i own and dislike
    02-09-10 05:21 PM
    it would make no sense for this to be lte...... and launch in fall. i know of NO lte networks in canada. and i dont think anyone is switching over before 2012....

so by being "ahead" of its time without anyone supporting it would make it as fail as the bold 9700 which i own and dislike
    VZW plans to be in 30 markets with LTE by then and they have been the Primary distributor of the Storm line. So it does make a lot of sense. Besides it won't be LTE only. It will have to support CDMA and most likely will still support GSM bands. Look at the QualComm LTE chips. They cover a lot of bands.

02-09-10 05:28 PM
    yah i guess you are right about that. telus and bell also had the storm tho. and they both switched to gsm this year. i do not think they plan on switching to lte any time soon.

who knows really? i have gotten to the point where i expect nothing. i was mad enough when we didnt get the storm 2 on rogers or fido. i dont see what the big deal is. since bell and telus do have the iphone now....
    02-09-10 05:31 PM
    yah i guess you are right about that. telus and bell also had the storm tho. and they both switched to gsm this year. i do not think they plan on switching to lte any time soon.

who knows really? i have gotten to the point where i expect nothing. i was mad enough when we didnt get the storm 2 on rogers or fido. i dont see what the big deal is. since bell and telus do have the iphone now....
    i was reading on the net last week that telus is all ready working towards lte, so if they are so is bell because they share the same network and were partners in building the new network. now what i read about telus working on lte said its still a few years aways.
    02-09-10 05:48 PM
306 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD