05-21-10 12:40 PM
306 ... 56789 ...
tools
    You guys are missing the point here. Disabling sure press means major re write of OS. At least the UI. RIMs OS is designed for track balls. You scroll to something and then click on it. Without ability to click, the OS is dead in the water. RIM chose a hardware solution to get around tons of development.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 06:49 PM
    If you go to the end of the linked thread, jlevy says RIM's 100% staying with SurePress

WRT to JLevy73's posts, I found his statement "The OS on S3 is better than any OS RIM has ever produced" pretty weird. Doesn't sound like a home run, which explains why he says it may be too late.
    01-26-10 06:52 PM
    If you give people the choice, surepress will die a slow, agonizing death.
    01-26-10 06:56 PM
    That may be, but The_Engine is right. The reason SurePress exists is because the BBOS is not built around gestures, but scrolling and clicking. In the Storm* series, your finger provides the scrolling and the screen's 'click' action (obviously) provides the clicking.

I think it'd have been better if the development team had gone along the "major fork of the OS" route. It would have made it easier for switchers and removed a major (psychological at least) barrier to adoption. Plus, if they'd re-thought the UI, how to use the increased screen real-estate, and how people interacted with the phone, they'd have had a more polished first release. That said, I can imagine why the team decided _not_ to do that (share code among platforms, get something out to market quickly to attempt to counter the iPhone...)

They have a major job ahead of them. The iPhone is the market leader in this area and the only to avoid being left in the dust is by offering people a radically more featureful, more usable, and more polished alternative. Otherwise it'll be iPod vs. "the other MP3 players" the sequel :P
    Last edited by allengeorge; 01-26-10 at 07:14 PM.
    01-26-10 07:09 PM
    I agree with the The_Engine. That has always been my theory on why we'll never see a touch screen Blackberry wihtout surepress. The OS is built around point and click, they'd need to build a whole new OS if you just had to touch the screen vs clicking it.
    It sucks because I love my BB Storm but I'm sick of the surepress screen. I'm holding out hope for a new non surepress model this year but I might jump ship for a different phone if I see something good come out on Verizon.
    01-26-10 07:50 PM
    If you give people the choice, surepress will die a slow, agonizing death.
    Not true, many people actually prefer Surepress when it comes to text messaging. Especially for the millions of Storm Users tthat have had their Storm for over a year. You kinda get used to it. It's just a hassle when it comes to some apps. Such as I have guitar hero. And its a touch based game. No click and it botehrs me when I click..
    01-26-10 07:54 PM
    From the account of the lucky guy who managed to get his hands on an early S3 there are now widgets in the OS which is a fairly big change. Could be that there has been a bit of an overhaul?
    01-27-10 03:29 AM
    I agree with the The_Engine. That has always been my theory on why we'll never see a touch screen Blackberry wihtout surepress. The OS is built around point and click, they'd need to build a whole new OS if you just had to touch the screen vs clicking it.
    It sucks because I love my BB Storm but I'm sick of the surepress screen. I'm holding out hope for a new non surepress model this year but I might jump ship for a different phone if I see something good come out on Verizon.
    Surepress is actually an awesome feature. I have less mistakes because I can highlight the area I want to use before clicking, making sure I get the correct selection. This is very handy for browsing and selecting! You also get used to the "clicking" typing very quickly.

01-29-10 06:57 AM
    So you know, you can keep the finger on an Itouch/iphone keyboard and slide around from letter to letter and not get a letters typing till you home on the one you want and lift you finger. This works great when in a car or just moving around period. Kinda seems like a better thought our sure press.

Also the input of click is just an input, what triggers that does not matter, be some coding but not a complete over haul....IMO, no facts just opinion here.

Sureclick, is the only reason I did not go Storm. Spend some time with an Apple and you will feel like the rest that detest a big clicky screen. CHEAP comes to mind with that. It does sadden me to say that about a BB....but truth hurts at times.
    01-29-10 07:07 AM
    So you know, you can keep the finger on an Itouch/iphone keyboard and slide around from letter to letter and not get a letters typing till you home on the one you want and lift you finger. This works great when in a car or just moving around period. Kinda seems like a better thought our sure press.

Also the input of click is just an input, what triggers that does not matter, be some coding but not a complete over haul....IMO, no facts just opinion here.

Sureclick, is the only reason I did not go Storm. Spend some time with an Apple and you will feel like the rest that detest a big clicky screen. CHEAP comes to mind with that. It does sadden me to say that about a BB....but truth hurts at times.
    The click screen is definitely a personal thing. Using Opera Mini that works without clicking I can see the appeal, but I also still prefer clicking to make a choice. I think most people that hate it, did not give it the hour two to get used to it. Maybe more if you were already using a touchscreen that was non click.
    01-29-10 08:51 AM
    From the account of the lucky guy who managed to get his hands on an early S3 there are now widgets in the OS which is a fairly big change. Could be that there has been a bit of an overhaul?
    And where is this lucky guy ? He makes aa couple of posts says nothing specific and then bounces....no pic no phone.....this whole thread has turned into bickering about the ups and downs of surepress and slide out key boards. Untill anyone shows a pic this is a dead subject for me...
    01-29-10 04:29 PM
    Doesn't look like he's bounced.....he just made a post in the thread 3 days ago....
    01-29-10 07:14 PM
    I am under Verizon right now so for me it is simply a question of will the iPhone (which verizon is supposed to release) or the Storm 3. But it DEF. sounds on POINT. I got a WHILE for my upgrade, so I got time to decide and see if the rumors are true or not.
    01-30-10 01:00 AM
    no pics no proof no phone
    01-30-10 03:12 AM
    It is exciting to hear that RIM has been stepping up their technology. However regardless of how credible a source is, or how good the info is, I won't believe it until I see a Verizon commercial for it, that is the moment of truth for any type of phone. Its when all doubt and rumors go out the window, and the reality of it is revealed. Its a great feeling.

01-30-10 03:55 AM
    It is exciting to hear that RIM has been stepping up their technology. However regardless of how credible a source is, or how good the info is, I won't believe it until I see a Verizon commercial for it, that is the moment of truth for any type of phone. Its when all doubt and rumors go out the window, and the reality of it is revealed. Its a great feeling.

So then you don't believe they have the Palm pre plus? Not sure why there is any doubt that there will be a S3, or even the timing

01-30-10 07:26 AM
    I am excited for this... though I wish it had a slide out qwerty keyboard...
    01-31-10 02:34 AM
    ok, so i think the_engine is bang on here, i mean why would surepress ever go, look at the `new` blackberry range, answer me honeslty, whats a trackpad if not a small square of surepress? (yes i know thats a generalisation but oh so true)
    i think cbkevin says it so many times people should listen, seperate navigation from confirmation
    01-31-10 05:37 AM
    We just can't expect RIM to support 2 OS's when they can't even get one right. I mean it took 419 build to get pop up keys in without breaking something else. I know they were in .230 but they were gone in .328 so clearly they had issues with it. Maybe when they build 6 they will plan 2 versions. Maybe by then oracle will have java running better. LOL.

01-31-10 12:40 PM
    from here: Hands on/initial impression of Storm 3

The OS on S3 is better than any OS RIM has ever produced. The question is will it be too late.
    it will have to be revolutionary for anyone to really care...
    01-31-10 08:09 PM
    Don't worry, the BlackBerry Storm 10 is coming.

02-01-10 09:38 AM
    Don't worry, the BlackBerry Storm 10 is coming.

This is just a silly quote even though this is a rumor section lets try and keep on track here...thank you

official update
    The S3 will have a flip around screen like the side kick....unlike the sidekick instead of a qwerty keyboard underneath it will have another surepress screen...this is official from RIM. pics to follow.
    02-03-10 07:40 PM
    This is just a silly quote even though this is a rumor section lets try and keep on track here...thank you

official update
    The S3 will have a flip around screen like the side kick....unlike the sidekick instead of a qwerty keyboard underneath it will have another surepress screen...this is official from RIM. pics to follow.
    Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or serious...

I mostly agree with this post below though:

We just can't expect RIM to support 2 OS's when they can't even get one right. I mean it took 419 build to get pop up keys in without breaking something else. I know they were in .230 but they were gone in .328 so clearly they had issues with it. Maybe when they build 6 they will plan 2 versions. Maybe by then oracle will have java running better. LOL.

What was spoke of about the S3 in the first post seems so far beyond what they're doing now. Sure it's possible but they've proven time and time again that they won't make major leaps in their OS so I'm a little skeptical to believe any of it.
    02-03-10 11:17 PM
    I wanna hold myself to that also! LOL I've been noticing a slow down for 5.0 leaks so I hope that means RIM is focusing on 5.1, the same thing happend to 4.7 when RIM started 5.0, I just hope we are seeing a pattern!

you and me both my friend....
    02-04-10 01:32 AM
    I wanna hold myself to that also! LOL I've been noticing a slow down for 5.0 leaks so I hope that means RIM is focusing on 5.1, the same thing happend to 4.7 when RIM started 5.0, I just hope we are seeing a pattern!

you and me both my friend....
    that makes 3 of us...

the slowness of 5.0 updates is possibly a sign of shifting the bulk of their internal development team to future OS work... let's just hope this is the case! I really hope they are working on something beyond 5.2 though... 6.0 and beyond is where they need to really focus... 5.0 is pretty stable with the latest round of updates... all it needs is minor tweaks... certainly that can be handled via a few OPD developers while the wizzes move on to 6.0 dev....
    02-04-10 07:31 AM
306 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD