05-21-10 12:40 PM
306 ... 34567 ...
tools
    B.S. I guarantee it. You guys will listen to anything with zero proof if it sounds good...
    01-08-10 11:03 PM
    That is not the credible source that this thread is referring too.. Someone that is well respected and credible (supposedly) at mydroidworld claims that he played with the phone. im gonna go out on the limb here and believe him... your choice not to, but dont knock anyone else that wants to believe...
    01-08-10 11:32 PM
    B.S. I guarantee it. You guys will listen to anything with zero proof if it sounds good...
    Go back inside the gates, Squire!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 03:31 AM
    Sorry Child, that link is already posted in the rumored devices thread.

As far as which is more creditable...who is to say? They both say pretty much the same thing about the device. JLevy has produces a leak or two sp we know he has inside access. But then again he is only restarting what the bbleaks article says with little additional info.

The nexus one looks nice and Android brings a lot to the table. Yes LTE is a huge factor here, but if RIM's first attempts at LTE are as bad as some of their other first times, then the nexus one or whatever android offering drops in late 2010 might be better. I kind of think their will be LTE android that comes out in Q3 or Q4. LTE offers too much at the device level for manufacturers not to try and take advantage.

I will looking at offerings in the fall for my Storm's replacement.

01-09-10 07:09 AM

I kind of think their will be LTE android that comes out in Q3 or Q4. LTE offers too much at the device level for manufacturers not to try and take advantage.
    Thats why RIM will no longer be a year behind everyone... If RIM releases an LTE phone Q3 or Q4 along with google and apple, it's like their all starting on a fresh sheet of paper and I think this is where RIM will start to pick up even more market share if they can make their damn UI look like like google because let's face it apple's UI works great but is played out and old, just the way were sick of our OS so is apple users of theirs!!
    01-09-10 10:04 AM
    I don't know what I should do. My contract expires in March, should I just get the Storm 2?
    01-09-10 06:01 PM
    Get the Storm2 if you believe it is the right one for you. Nothing has been confirmed yet, it's only information leaked from a source that people seem to trust, but no pictures nor anything to back up what has been said. Besides, if this all would be true, the device would be in early makings and probably not be finished for a long time. Not worth waiting. Storm2 is already very kick *** I can tell you that.

More than anything it would be nice to know if RIM have decided to make any changes to SurePress. The current implementation is a big step up from the original on the Storm1. I hope Storm3 will not be what the iPhone 3GS is to the iPhone 3G.
    01-09-10 06:09 PM
    i dont understand what all the skepticism and 'ill believe it when i see it' mentality is coming from. whether or not the source is viable, is it really that hard to believe that a storm update is currently being built and might be released during the same time (end of the year) as the storm 1 & 2?

looking at the link, none of the leaked specs/info really surprises me: updated processor, camera, memory, screen, thinner, lighter... etc.

software looks like the big upgrades for the storm 3, but RIM has already stated that they are working on implementing widgets, a new browser, flash and other adobe compatibility into their OS so theres nothing really new there.

LTE is a great addition, and even if a 4G android or iphone comes out sooner then the storm 3, Verizon has stated that their LTE network wont be widely accessible until 2011 anyway.

the only question, of course, will be in RIMs execution of the device. keep in mind that, if the specs mentioned are correct, the next storm will be just an upgrade. they arent building a new platform as they did with the storm 1. they are making it better as they did with the storm 2. theres absolutely no reason to believe that the storm 3 wont be generally a lot better then the storm 2.
    01-09-10 08:42 PM
    i dont understand what all the skepticism and 'ill believe it when i see it' mentality is coming from. whether or not the source is viable, is it really that hard to believe that a storm update is currently being built and might be released during the same time (end of the year) as the storm 1 & 2?

looking at the link, none of the leaked specs/info really surprises me: updated processor, camera, memory, screen, thinner, lighter... etc.

software looks like the big upgrades for the storm 3, but RIM has already stated that they are working on implementing widgets, a new browser, flash and other adobe compatibility into their OS so theres nothing really new there.

LTE is a great addition, and even if a 4G android or iphone comes out sooner then the storm 3, Verizon has stated that their LTE network wont be widely accessible until 2011 anyway.

the only question, of course, will be in RIMs execution of the device. keep in mind that, if the specs mentioned are correct, the next storm will be just an upgrade. they arent building a new platform as they did with the storm 1. they are making it better as they did with the storm 2. theres absolutely no reason to believe that the storm 3 wont be generally a lot better then the storm 2.
    The problem is, the information that the was leaked in this thread re:Storm 3 does not jive with the reliable information that has been leaked. The specs alone are obsolete.
    01-10-10 10:29 AM
    The problem is, the information that the was leaked in this thread re:Storm 3 does not jive with the reliable information that has been leaked. The specs alone are obsolete.
    but is it really a problem? leaked information is just that... whether it "jives" together or not doesnt matter because, without an actual photo/video/announcement, no information can be confirmed and hence "reliable".

also, the phone is probably about a year away from the market and certain specs might change.

i actually hope that all this information is totally unreliable and wrong and that when the device is released, the storm 3 will have a 4 ghz processor, a 4" full HD screen, and a native app that turns its owner invisible.

oops, did i just leak that?
    Last edited by nbkhuu; 01-10-10 at 12:44 PM. Reason: additions
    01-10-10 12:42 PM
    Sounds interesting. Here's to hoping RIM continues to focus on upgrading the software.
    gotta agree with that one. other than the speed that was noted in the article, it impressed me that they're redesigning the software. i mean, WIDGETS? on a STORM? that would be so epic.
    01-10-10 02:49 PM
    Geez, I hope this phone comes to the North American GSM market with 3G, wtf is wrong with all of these carriers hogging certain phones.
    01-10-10 05:44 PM
    Geez, I hope this phone comes to the North American GSM market with 3G, wtf is wrong with all of these carriers hogging certain phones.
    It will be 4G on LTE. While it will probably be on VZW both AT&T and T Mobile are going to start on LTE Networks in 2011. So you might be able to port this there. But by 2012 or so when their off the ground I'm sure there will be better devices.

But VZW 4G will be far better then anything GSM carriers can offer. So why bother?

01-10-10 07:24 PM
    Hmm I'm Confused? I Live in Canada don't know much about T-MO, but Its't TMO A QuadBand EDGE NETWORK + 1700mhz BAND 4 UMTS? IF SO. Let me ask you this... WHY WOULD U WANT TO HAVE European Frequencies? We as North Americans are looking for 3G Storms, (NOT CDMA 3G) I hate cmda from telus, i don't know how good it is for USA Verizon, But The Voice Digital call is bad... Usualy it take 3-5 rings on my friends end before i even GET 1 RING... and then it Hits Voice Mail. Anyways... I believe it would be much better if The Storm 3 HAS NA Freq 850/1900 UMTS, tri-band would be nice...

Correct me if I'm wrong on any statements Carriers in USA. Thanks
    01-12-10 06:07 AM
    Hmm I'm Confused? I Live in Canada don't know much about T-MO, but Its't TMO A QuadBand EDGE NETWORK + 1700mhz BAND 4 UMTS? IF SO. Let me ask you this... WHY WOULD U WANT TO HAVE European Frequencies? We as North Americans are looking for 3G Storms, (NOT CDMA 3G) I hate cmda from telus, i don't know how good it is for USA Verizon, But The Voice Digital call is bad... Usualy it take 3-5 rings on my friends end before i even GET 1 RING... and then it Hits Voice Mail. Anyways... I believe it would be much better if The Storm 3 HAS NA Freq 850/1900 UMTS, tri-band would be nice...

Correct me if I'm wrong on any statements Carriers in USA. Thanks
    SueyChoy, not sure if you were responded to the poster from before who wanted this device on T Mobile or not but as I see it all the talk about 3G on this thread is irrelevant. S3 will be 4G running on LTE. Pretty much every Carrier in North America, Canadian and American, have stated plans to upgrade to a 4G LTE network. (sprint is going 4g but on WiMax) Looks like VZW will be first as they state they will be in at least 30 Markets across the nation by end of 2010 and they have already completed Trials in Boston and Seattle.

So give up on the 3G folks as far as S3 is concerned. When this drops in the fall we will be talking about 4G.

01-12-10 06:38 AM
    It will be interesting to see how much the non touch berrys evolve alongside their bother. Storm 1 to storm 2 was a bigger leap than 9000 to 9700 but i guess the 9000 was actually good whereas the Storm1 wasn't great...
    01-12-10 10:51 AM
    My jeans are gonna be pretty creamy when I see the first "real" S3 pics.....given that it doesn't have a stupid slider on it....

01-12-10 01:57 PM
    My Storm powers up in and is ready for use in 10 seconds that way as well. lol Pull the battery to get "the real" bootup time noob! Sheesh! Oh and 512MB of app memory (not RAM noob) is still FAIL. When will RIM learn?
    Your posts are FAIL... 512MB is double the RAM of the Storm 2 and the iPhone 3gs... And the OP stated it was RAM, not application memory...
    01-12-10 02:27 PM
    Your posts are FAIL... 512MB is double the RAM of the Storm 2 and the iPhone 3gs... And the OP stated it was RAM, not application memory...
    Is it me, or do Blackberry's only have 2 types of memory?

1) flash - this the memory that the OS and all applications run off of. This ia the space that all stores messages, contacts, and calendar appointments. While it is not RAM in same sense as a PC, it has similar principles in that it is used by the OS to run itself and apps so people refer to it as RAM commonly. Also since this is the Memory that you install and run any apps from, it is also commonly referred to as App memory.
    2) Storage - this is the memory you can save Media to. It can be either internal (1gb on s1 and 2gb on s2) or removable (basically a micro sd card slot where you can add memory for storage purposes. Typically 8gb on s1 and 16 gb on s2). Because the removable memory redundant with the internal memory many do not use the internal storage memory at all.

So the first layer is the amount of memory for the OS and apps, and the 2nd is only for storage.

That being said, and if I am accurate in my understanding, then 512 mb supposedly on the S3 is a big improvement. But you can't really compare it to Iphone 3GS which may only have 256, but that can run apps from the 8, 16, or 32 gb internal memory. Which a BB can't do.

Beyond that calling it RAM or App Memory is just semantics.

So the point Civic is making is that if you are building larger more complex apps with Open GL, etc. And they all live in the same space as the OS that may cause issues in Memory management ans affect performance. Especially in a Java based OS.

Let me know if I am off base here.

01-12-10 04:30 PM
    SueyChoy, not sure if you were responded to the poster from before who wanted this device on T Mobile or not but as I see it all the talk about 3G on this thread is irrelevant. S3 will be 4G running on LTE. Pretty much every Carrier in North America, Canadian and American, have stated plans to upgrade to a 4G LTE network. (sprint is going 4g but on WiMax) Looks like VZW will be first as they state they will be in at least 30 Markets across the nation by end of 2010 and they have already completed Trials in Boston and Seattle.

So give up on the 3G folks as far as S3 is concerned. When this drops in the fall we will be talking about 4G.

ah okay 4G sounds good, so they perfected it now? for both voice and data? before it was only Data... anyways if its 4G tight, but i think any canadian carrier is LTE Yet or any time soon.
    01-12-10 09:12 PM
    ah okay 4G sounds good, so they perfected it now? for both voice and data? before it was only Data... anyways if its 4G tight, but i think any canadian carrier is LTE Yet or any time soon.
    The phone will likely have 3G. As 4G is still not as close as we hope and I'm pretty sure they won't have 4G everywhere in Canada even when they do launch 4G. I am also hoping that it has Bell's HSPA Bands (same as Telus) I was pretty disappointed that the Storm 2 didn't have them.
    01-13-10 10:26 PM
    Changing the subject a little but why do people hate the idea of a slider. To me it seems to offer the advantage of having a large screen and a physical keyboard, without making the device too large. Although they do tend to be thicker.
    This is my first blackberry (8900) since defecting from Windows Mobile, which is/was a place where sliders are quite common and people seem to like.

01-15-10 09:45 AM
    Changing the subject a little but why do people hate the idea of a slider. To me it seems to offer the advantage of having a large screen and a physical keyboard, without making the device too large. Although they do tend to be thicker.
    This is my first blackberry (8900) since defecting from Windows Mobile, which is/was a place where sliders are quite common and people seem to like.

Physical keyboard feels like trying to hold on to the past.....everyone I know with the droid all came from physical keyboards and after three days never slid the droid out again...(imo the droids keyboard is to flat anyway.) once you get used to a full touch screen...the flow of your usage goes up....plus my storm in landscape is a great big keyboard as opposed to my wife's tour.

Last edited by NIKSTORM; 01-15-10 at 01:01 PM.
    01-15-10 11:05 AM
    The Droid has a keyboard that's off centre, that just looked like **** to me. I don't think I'd use it either.
    01-15-10 02:23 PM
    It does look like a cool phone.
    01-15-10 02:28 PM
306 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD