05-21-10 12:40 PM
306 1234 ...
tools
    This is all very exciting. I am glad to see that RIM isn't going down without a fight. I'm considering packing my bags for the iPhone when it comes to Verizon in 2010, but this may hold me a little longer. We'll see...
    12-28-09 04:13 PM
    This is all very exciting. I am glad to see that RIM isn't going down without a fight. I'm considering packing my bags for the iPhone when it comes to Verizon in 2010, but this may hold me a little longer. We'll see...
    With all the recent ads bashing the iPhone/AT&T I wouldn't count on the iPhone coming to Verizon in 2010.
    12-28-09 04:40 PM
    With all the recent ads bashing the iPhone/AT&T I wouldn't count on the iPhone coming to Verizon in 2010.
    I don't know...a 4G iPhone will look pretty nice on Verizon. AT&T is killing the iPhone...Jobs knows that. Verizon has said they are "ready for the iPhone". The AT&T contract is running out in June of 2010. The stars are aligning.
    12-28-09 04:43 PM
    My Storm powers up in and is ready for use in 10 seconds that way as well. lol Pull the battery to get "the real" bootup time noob! Sheesh! Oh and 512MB of app memory (not RAM noob) is still FAIL. When will RIM learn?
    How did I know Civic would flag those 2 points?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 07:28 PM
    I hope this is the "game changer" for RIM
    12-28-09 07:43 PM
    I hope this is the "game changer" for RIM
    If 512 is all that s available for apps and there starts to be more complex apps due to open gl and flash then this won't be a game changer. If 5.1 allows apps to run from internal memory and this device has at least 8 gb then it could be. I thought it was interesting that they could not see/comment on the memory but could say that there was 512 of flash.

12-28-09 08:19 PM
    If 512 is all that s available for apps and there starts to be more complex apps due to open gl and flash then this won't be a game changer. If 5.1 allows apps to run from internal memory and this device has at least 8 gb then it could be. I thought it was interesting that they could not see/comment on the memory but could say that there was 512 of flash.

Well, they didn't... technically, they said 512MB of "RAM". It very well could have 512MB of RAM (most likely) and they blatantly didn't say anything about "Flash". That way, they could make it look like they pulled a noob goof and/or they released a correct memory stat... of RAM only. You can look at it from both sides of this statement.... it wouldn't be the first time someone "played dumb" to hide facts and misdirect while not being incorrect, but I for one have learned NOT to expect this sort of action from anyone reviewing a RIM product. Chances are good they were in fact talking about App memory (i.e. Available Memory in Status). So, if that the fact, then it's most likely something along the lines of Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, 512MB App memory, and at least 2GB or more of Internal Media Storage (since both previous Storms have had this.) While not bad stats "right now" for a phone (since even most Android devices are still at this same spec right now), the major negative is that with other devices you can install apps to memory cards or hack the OS to allow for this function.

Me personally, I would strive for more in a phone hardware wise on the memory side of things, but then again, I like to overdo things anyway.
    12-28-09 08:51 PM
    Im worried too about the amount of app memory as others have stated. If RIM is going to try to beat out other high end devices, why not make a phone with more memory / better processor then phones out now- since by the time it gets released other manufacturers will have leaped ahead of them yet again..
    12-28-09 10:36 PM
    Well, they didn't... technically, they said 512MB of "RAM". It very well could have 512MB of RAM (most likely) and they blatantly didn't say anything about "Flash". That way, they could make it look like they pulled a noob goof and/or they released a correct memory stat... of RAM only. You can look at it from both sides of this statement.... it wouldn't be the first time someone "played dumb" to hide facts and misdirect while not being incorrect, but I for one have learned NOT to expect this sort of action from anyone reviewing a RIM product. Chances are good they were in fact talking about App memory (i.e. Available Memory in Status). So, if that the fact, then it's most likely something along the lines of Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, 512MB App memory, and at least 2GB or more of Internal Media Storage (since both previous Storms have had this.) While not bad stats "right now" for a phone (since even most Android devices are still at this same spec right now), the major negative is that with other devices you can install apps to memory cards or hack the OS to allow for this function.

Me personally, I would strive for more in a phone hardware wise on the memory side of things, but then again, I like to overdo things anyway.
    Totally agree on your statement and always like your opinion
    12-28-09 10:40 PM
    jrsccivic: Have you upgraded to a storm2 or are you still using the original 9530? Just was wondering since you are always in the know about the storm and most things blackberry
    12-28-09 10:50 PM
    I hope this rumor is true. It would be fatal if RIM released a new device that fell short to any of these observations. (sigh) Pics would be nice however......
    12-29-09 07:30 PM
    Interesting read..

The problem is that this rumored Storm is the Storm that should be available now. By the time it gets released the Droid and iPhone will both have already been updated past this rumored Storm.
    Great point. No experience with Droid devices but I'm expecting the 4th Gen iPhone to be leaps and bounds better than anything available right now.

And again, without a GSM version of this phone I can't see it competing
    12-29-09 07:47 PM
    Wished that T-Mobile would get this.
    Hopefully they'll get something equally as good if not better.

12-29-09 08:43 PM
    Wished that T-Mobile would get this.
    Hopefully they'll get something equally as good if not better.

Not trying to knock what you're saying, but imo it would be a waste on tmobile.
    12-30-09 01:20 AM
    I read these posts and I can not help thinking that some of you are just wishful thinking on upcoming phones.
    Everybody wants 1G processor, 1G RAM and ect ect but until battery technology catches up with the phone smart phone technology, you will all be disappointed and complaining after getting such a high powered device. You are basically wanting a Netbook capability in a small device such a smart phone. The best you will probably get is maybe 6 to 8 hours of use before you have to plug it in. How many of you will do that? I could be completely wrong about this but based on my moderate to heavy usage, I have to charge my Storm and the Droid I had for about a month, once during the day and maybe use the car charger while in transit or else I can not make it the whole day. My day is about 16 to 18 hours.
    How can we expect these new high powered devices to last a day if they do not improve the battery life? People want small light weight and 4" screen and it is just not going to happen right now. But hey what do I know?
    12-30-09 07:04 AM
    I read these posts and I can not help thinking that some of you are just wishful thinking on upcoming phones.
    Everybody wants 1G processor, 1G RAM and ect ect but until battery technology catches up with the phone smart phone technology, you will all be disappointed and complaining after getting such a high powered device. You are basically wanting a Netbook capability in a small device such a smart phone. The best you will probably get is maybe 6 to 8 hours of use before you have to plug it in. How many of you will do that? I could be completely wrong about this but based on my moderate to heavy usage, I have to charge my Storm and the Droid I had for about a month, once during the day and maybe use the car charger while in transit or else I can not make it the whole day. My day is about 16 to 18 hours.
    How can we expect these new high powered devices to last a day if they do not improve the battery life? People want small light weight and 4" screen and it is just not going to happen right now. But hey what do I know?
    I would say I don't care what the processor is as long as it handles everything the device can do without lag. I would like at least 24 - 48 hrs of battery. Didn't one of these early reviews say something about dramatically improved battery life?

Last edited by The_Engine; 12-30-09 at 03:01 PM.
    12-30-09 08:14 AM
    Not trying to knock what you're saying, but imo it would be a waste on tmobile.
    always has to be one saying something stupid
    12-30-09 10:04 AM
    I hope this info is true and we hear something at wes. We probably won't see pics for months.
    12-30-09 10:06 AM
    Without the slider, I can't see the need for a third touch screen device. Especially if it's going to be a Storm 3.
    12-30-09 11:03 AM
    This is good news.... I still have the s1 and just been waiting to see if the iphone comes to verizon. But now I can't wait to see pictures of the S3 to believe it.

12-30-09 12:01 PM
    Without the slider, I can't see the need for a third touch screen device. Especially if it's going to be a Storm 3.
    Considering how many S1's sold, and whose owners will be ready for an upgrade in Oct/Nov of 2010...
    and considering the implementation of 4G...
    and considering that I Phone is still the primary consumer device and is a complete touch screen...
    and considering I have yet to meet a Droid Owner who even uses the physical keyboard...

[\sarcasm on] Your absolutely right. No need for a 3rd generation of the Storm unless it has a slide out keyboard. [\sarcasm off]
    12-30-09 03:05 PM
    I highly doubt that this will be anytime soon. I expect to see it late June at the earliest, storm. 2 too has not even been released that long for another one to come out so soon. This will be like the people awaiting OS 5.0 "official" for there BB's, long wait head ppl.

12-30-09 04:24 PM
    There is a difference between a potential Storm 3 release and the "Official 5.0updates" wiBBred...RIM will make money on a new device release
    12-30-09 04:50 PM
    To the above 2 posts:

This is definitely not a device we will see anytime soon. If the device that was seen is pre production and there are more pre prod builds coming then they are still developing the hardware. I think the op was saying we should see more about this device at WES in April. That probably puts this on pace for a Q3 or Q4 release.

As far as 5.1 goes I was always under the impression that 5.0 was a stepping stone to something more. RIM released an SDK for widgets months ago, but if you look at the UI in 5.0, where the frak would you put a widget?? So clearly they have had some UI overhaul in planning for some time. I remember that Radio and some others talked about dev on 5.1 starting and then stopping several months ago. I'll bet RIM was hopping to get widgets off the ground for the S2 launch but once they dabbled in it, realized that they were not there yet as far as 5.0 was concerned.

They are definitely a bit behind on offering these things when Apple and Android are already there, but it looks like RIM is about a year behind and looking at their recent financial they can throw **** loads of $$$ at it. How far is android and apple behind RIM on enterprise email, security, and centralized administration(BES)?

I think the competition is good and RIM seems to have a plan as far as how to stay competitive. If S3 improves on S2 in build, has 4G (LTE) support and a solid OS including some improved UI with widgets that is fluid and flashy at the same time they will have fired a major shot in the smart phone war.

Last edited by The_Engine; 12-30-09 at 07:52 PM.
    12-30-09 07:08 PM
    I believe that article was completely fabricated. There have been to many reliable leaks to confirm that Mr. T/Talladega will be a slider and possibly come with OS 6, not updated 5.*. Camera will be similar to the 9100, being a liquid lens. No confirmation of how many megapixels this baby will have.
    12-30-09 07:59 PM
306 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD