I know many here lament about the large size of current devices across the landscape. Different sizes fragment component volume and the standardization of some accessories too and those are factor the OEMs don’t want to complicate their business models.

Anyway, the favorite example many on both sides of the argument like to point to is the iPhone SE and how Apple brought it back for customers wanting smaller hardware. I had commented somewhere in CB that iPhone XR replaced the iPhone SE for lower price mid-tier space. Now the rumor is the iPhone SE is possibly coming back as well. This is a link from iMore that I found interesting either way.

https://forums.imore.com/imore-com-n...ml#post3157521
    09-04-19 07:35 AM
    My opinion is this is how Apple unloads older components like casings and screens.... just like with the SE before.
    09-04-19 07:38 AM
    My opinion is this is how Apple unloads older components like casings and screens.... just like with the SE before.

I really don't get the rumor of it having the "new" A13 Chip and 128GB of storage.... how will using that make this a "value" iPhone?

I can see "shared" components being a way to save money, but I doubt they have the volume of old parts necessary, unless this is a limited time product.
    09-04-19 08:02 AM
    I really don't get the rumor of it having the "new" A13 Chip and 128GB of storage.... how will using that make this a "value" iPhone?

I can see "shared" components being a way to save money, but I doubt they have the volume of old parts necessary, unless this is a limited time product.
    Less about value and just more about inventory of external hardware pieces being unloaded. I can see a 10% overage in production as pretty common as I suspect production is adjusted when old forms used for several years aren’t used in finished product. The iPhone 6-iPhone 8 models of 2014-2018 could easily have accumulated overage of 10-20 million unit components. Since there’s really no technical aspect, it either gets used or thrown away eventually.

With the razor margins of the business and declining volume of Flagship sizes, retro style production after 2-3 years could have enough pent up demand for 5-10 million unit sales. I do believe it’s limited just like the original SE from iPhone 4-iPhone 5 similar parts.
    09-04-19 08:43 AM
    If the rumoured 4.7" screen will become a reality, it will immediately become a possibility for me in 2020. Maybe @bb10adopter111 ?
    09-04-19 08:53 AM
    Maybe by Sept 2020 it won't be so "new" anymore.
    09-04-19 08:55 AM
    If the rumoured 4.7" screen will become a reality, it will immediately become a possibility for me in 2020. Maybe @bb10adopter111 ?
    I really don't want an iPhone, regardless of size. If I have to give up my Z10/KEyone combo before 2020-21, it will be for a new value-priced Android that ships with Android 10 and will participate in Project Mainline.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-04-19 06:42 PM
    it will be for a new value-priced Android that ships with Android 10
    Can you find one with a screen that isn't less than 6" was my only point. I know other things are probably more important to you but I also know a one-handed device is probably attractive as well. I'm not keen on iPhone either but for me form-factor is one of my musts. I cannot stand a big device. This coming from a guy using a Passport.
    09-04-19 07:16 PM
    One can only hope an android OEM follows suit and makes a similar sized android device. Android 10 with full gestures on a one handed device would be ideal for many.
    09-05-19 02:32 AM
    I posted this story not really expecting any return to smaller devices as much as unloading older external parts.

I found through couple different phone searches, Android devices still being produced in the 4”-5” screen range. Specs like 1gb RAM / 8 go storage even released very recent suggest very cheap entry level of the most basic first time smartphone user device. In USA, carrier prepaid base level is now basically 2/16 with 4.5”-5” screens.

It would appear that not just TCL or Apple uses the excess casings and screens for low cost devices over the landfill. However, this also suggests nobody is really building newer smaller devices of any real specs. You might find something entry to mid-tier specs up to 3/32-4/64 but it’s not done for niche but simple last attempt to recoup sunk costs with already paid for parts. Smaller type screens have similar demand curve to PKB unfortunately... or so it seems
    09-05-19 07:32 AM
    Can you find one with a screen that isn't less than 6" was my only point. I know other things are probably more important to you but I also know a one-handed device is probably attractive as well. I'm not keen on iPhone either but for me form-factor is one of my musts. I cannot stand a big device. This coming from a guy using a Passport.
    Yeah, there's no way I'm carrying a 6" phone. At that point I'll just use VOIP on my ultra portable laptop. If app compatibility were an absolute must, I'd run a small chromebook before I'd carry a two-handed slab.

brookie229 likes this.
    09-05-19 10:27 AM
    Only problem with apple devices: Jailbreaking is next to fecking impossible.

Android? Easiest to root, and you then have total control over your device. (except for a few manufacturers. )

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    09-07-19 09:38 PM
    Yeah, there's no way I'm carrying a 6" phone. At that point I'll just use VOIP on my ultra portable laptop. If app compatibility were an absolute must, I'd run a small chromebook before I'd carry a two-handed slab.

Totally agree. For many things I still love to use my laptop. The size of the passport was as big as I would want a phone to be.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-19 06:03 PM