09-19-15 06:08 AM
166 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Must be laughing gas
    08-19-15 09:51 AM
    Leading a two-front war, eh? In this economy, and their current financial and resource state? Come on....

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339 on XL Network
    It is not leading a two-front war. They have being developing software for Android running on other vendor's hardware. They are now just using the opportunity to make the same software for Android running on their hardware - one stone for two birds!
    08-19-15 10:04 AM
    It is not leading a two-front war. They have being developing software for Android running on other vendor's hardware. They are now just using the opportunity to make the same software for Android running on their hardware - one stone for two birds!
    Huh???? What are you talking about? That BlackBerry makes android apps for other vendor? Never heard of it.

I think that's BES you're talking about, and that's a completely different thing. BlackBerry supports android and iOS in BES schemes for corporates, but they don't make android software per se. Much less for consumers.

08-19-15 10:25 AM
    Exactly so why buy an Android BlackBerry? It will be inferior to other Android phones at likely the the same price because BlackBerry sucks at initial releases. They have already announced the BlackBerry experience is going cross platform, so why waste time with a BlackBerry, especially if BlackBerry converted you to an all touch user with BB10? I mean I know the people here who buy three different Passports and 4 colors of Classic will get one because they think it is their duty to Glorious Chairman Chen to buy whatever he throws over the wall, but I just can't see this thing selling well. If I'm wrong then kudos to him, but it will be the final straw for me to be abandoned by BlackBerry yet again. I will view this as one more experiment that is perpetuated as a genuine strategy.

Posted via Z30
    Why dose it matters to you? You keep promising that your going to go get an iPhone. I'm personally going to get the slider variant that will be running BlackBerry 10.3. I know a lot lot of you here are saying that BlackBerry is going to abandon the BlackBerry 10 OS but that's definitely not going to happen. Too many Governments and Enterprises depend on BlackBerry to keep them secure.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 10:44 AM
    I know a lot lot of you here are saying that BlackBerry is going to abandon the BlackBerry 10 OS but that's definitely not going to happen. To many Governments and Enterprises depend on BlackBerry to keep them secure.
    I really hope you are right.
    08-19-15 10:47 AM
    I know a lot lot of you here are saying that BlackBerry is going to abandon the BlackBerry 10 OS but that's definitely not going to happen. Too many Governments and Enterprises depend on BlackBerry to keep them secure.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm.....you got a BIG point here. I hope this is true, which means that BlackBerry will keep on developing the BB10 even if only for their Enterprise and Government clients. Changing their entire BES infrastructure just to support android phone release is....unheard of. Idiotic, even. The consumers can certainly still enjoy the benefits of the ongoing BB10 developments--even with with a higher price to pay, which is NOT a problem for most loyalists.

But this would also mean another thing: the needs to support the android phone release--IF, it is so. Now that, considering their current state of resources--to the tune that they CAN'T (or won't?) even market their existing BB10 phones properly, would be...foolish, to say the least. Just to grab some fast cash from the shock wave? Whut???
    08-19-15 11:00 AM
    I am disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    No BB10 gestures, needing to swipe all the way left to get to the hub... I'm with you. We just went backwards... Oh, but yay, we can have snapchat now and send and receive sexts with skanks...
    Xmeatizmurderx and eldricho like this.
    08-19-15 11:36 AM
    I would invest those money for finger enlargement surgery and brain ensmallment surgery (so I can like Analdroid).
    Yeah... BB10 is sublime... Android is bearable. Oh, what a difference.

If the rumours that the Silver Passport (or perhaps all Passport devices) can run Android as well as BB10... maybe that means that the slider can run BB10.

No, THIS is a job for CrackBerry management: contact BlackBerry in an official capacity and ask them "If BlackBerry releases devices in the future that run a version of Android, will those same devices also be able to run BB10?"

They may return a "no comment", but come on, Bla1ze: make the call at least. Give the BB10 fans some HOPE here.
    08-19-15 11:48 AM
    I really hope you are right.
    To few more years at best, IMO. Soon enough BBRY will bring custom ROM for Android OS, specifically for their hardware and in partnership with Google and release the Secured Android OS aimed at Gov and Ent.
    08-19-15 11:53 AM
    I know a lot lot of you here are saying that BlackBerry is going to abandon the BlackBerry 10 OS but that's definitely not going to happen. Too many Governments and Enterprises depend on BlackBerry to keep them secure.
    It depends on what you mean by "abandoned".

If "letting people buy it if they work really hard to do so" means "not abandoned", then yes, BB10 isn't abandoned.

But in most practical terms, if this slider is ONLY available running Android and not available running BB10, and if future BB10 devices even are produced, if they are marginalized / low performance / under-speced devices, then that is a type of abandonment. Encouraging developers to "post their apps in the Amazon App Store" (which doesn't even ACCEPT BB10 apps) is another type of abandonment.

If BB10 continues to get major feature additions / APIs for developers to use AND developers CONTINUE to get excellent tools to help them do native app development, then we can consider BB10 to be "not abandoned".

But actions are doing all the speaking, much more than any words or lack-thereof: BB10 IS abandoned, for all intents and purposes until we hear otherwise (and frankly, until we SEE otherwise in the way of new OS features being announced and some form of credible developer support programme.

...and even in that scenario: I'd rather run "abandoned" BB10 on my daily driver than any version of Android, full stop. I will buy the Slider because I've been waiting for it... and maybe one day I'll be able to crack it open and either run BB10 on it, or my next alternative: Windows 10.

I guess I want an OS with a 10 in it. By the time Android reaches version 10 it might be good enough, but iOS 10 due in 2016 probably won't be.
    08-19-15 11:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is pushing customers to use BES12 with other devices. iOS 9 on BES 12 in testing for a large BB10 government shop and it getting very positive reviews. All of BlackBerry's acquisitions, like Watchdox, had Android and iOS support, but not BB10 support except via a browser. BlackBerry will likely continue to support BB10 like they have BBOS, and just doing maintenance for a while. So a zombie OS with no new features. Chen wants out of handsets, and is doing everything possible to make that happen.

Posted via Z30
    08-19-15 11:56 AM
    Hmm.....you got a BIG point here. I hope this is true, which means that BlackBerry will keep on developing the BB10 even if only for their Enterprise and Government clients. Changing their entire BES infrastructure just to support android phone release is....unheard of. Idiotic, even. The consumers can certainly still enjoy the benefits of the ongoing BB10 developments--even with with a higher price to pay, which is NOT a problem for most loyalists.

But this would also mean another thing: the needs to support the android phone release--IF, it is so. Now that, considering their current state of resources--to the tune that they CAN'T (or won't?) even market their existing BB10 phones properly, would be...foolish, to say the least. Just to grab some fast cash from the shock wave? Whut???
    BES 12 already support Android and iOS with secure workspace. Everything they need to support an Android BlackBerry is already there and working.

Posted via Z30
    08-19-15 11:57 AM
    Huh???? What are you talking about? That BlackBerry makes android apps for other vendor? Never heard of it.

I think that's BES you're talking about, and that's a completely different thing. BlackBerry supports android and iOS in BES schemes for corporates, but they don't make android software per se. Much less for consumers.

Just one example, BBM for all phone platforms including Android. Pretty soon there will be other software components for all other phone platforms.
    08-19-15 12:25 PM
    Just one example, BBM for all phone platforms including Android. Pretty soon there will be other software components for all other phone platforms.
    No, man. It's different. There's a certain history about BBM going across platform, if you read "Loosing The Signal". Not so with making other apps, especially android's.

08-19-15 12:45 PM
    BES 12 already support Android and iOS with secure workspace. Everything they need to support an Android BlackBerry is already there and working.

Posted via Z30
    I don't think it's that simple. Isn't there a different between supports for corporate environment and for public consumption? I mean, both cannot simply be used together, they have to be split and differentiated. Both demand equally huge resources to maintain not to mention stabilized.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    08-19-15 01:00 PM
    Do you all have any idea how hard it is to support one operating system and keep it up? Do, you really think BB, with it's limited resources and move to basically dis all native developers, can support two? Or even if they did, would anyone in their right mind develop for an operating system that for all intents and purposes was not doing well in the first place, but BB has basically now abandoned? If this is true that they are moving even ONE phone to android, BB10 is DEAD. Oh sure, it'll hang around a year or so to appease those who already invested in it. But BB will once again shoot themselves in the foot by pissing off those wjho supported them with their loyalty and money. And blackberry becomes another android phone in a sea of android phones, with the BB tarnished name attached. It's a worthwhile last ditch effort for them to try to salvage the handset business, but it most likely will not work. Once again, moving to android after 400 other companies are already there and most losing money, they will be a day late and a dollar short. For the 5000 people who insist on a pkb, it's just not enough.

BB10 is dead. Long live BB10........if this story is to be believed.......and I'll just bet it is.
    I always wonder why if QNX on the Car 2 platform could run iOS/Android/whatever app, why they couldn't just do it on the phone as well. And I always wondered why there wasn't a closer connection between the QNX GUI to BB10, since QNX has been trying to get into the mobile area since before Harmon bought them. I would assume, it would benefit both BlackBerry BB10 and QNX sales if there was a tighter integration between the two, which would make it easier for developers to make apps for both the phone and the car infortainment systems.

And of course, once they are there, they can make other apps for other QNX based systems, like home/health monitoring.
    08-19-15 01:07 PM
    I don't think it's that simple. Isn't there a different between supports for corporate environment and for public consumption? I mean, both cannot simply be used together, they have to be split and differentiated. Both demand equally huge resources to maintain not to mention stabilized.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    BES 12 puts a Secure Work space on Android and iOS devices now. It can be wiped independent of the device just like BB10 can be. BB10 is more integrated and elegant, and is more like having two OS at once, but an Android powered BlackBerry could be brought into an existing BES12 and work. Now to make them work with the cheaper BlackBerry license, that might be a little effort but not much.

Posted via Z30
    08-19-15 01:30 PM
    I always wonder why if QNX on the Car 2 platform could run iOS/Android/whatever app, why they couldn't just do it on the phone as well. And I always wondered why there wasn't a closer connection between the QNX GUI to BB10, since QNX has been trying to get into the mobile area since before Harmon bought them. I would assume, it would benefit both BlackBerry BB10 and QNX sales if there was a tighter integration between the two, which would make it easier for developers to make apps for both the phone and the car infortainment systems.

And of course, once they are there, they can make other apps for other QNX based systems, like home/health monitoring.
    When BlackBerry bought QNX, they didn't have a GUI. They leveraged Adobe Flash for their GUI needs which is why the PlayBook was a flash based GUI just like QNX had been doing with Infotainment integration. Once Flash backed out of mobile, and BlackBerry's discovery that it wasn't an efficient GUI for mobile, BlackBerry had to buy TAT and have them build Cascades and the BB10 frameworks for them. QNX has adopted some of this BB10 building to be able to make their Auto reference platforms that now have non Flash based GUI. Beyond that the QNX group, the handset/BB10 group, and the BES group don't work well together at all.

Posted via Z30
    extisis, southlander and Bbnivende like this.
    08-19-15 01:37 PM
    No, man. It's different. There's a certain history about BBM going across platform, if you read "Loosing The Signal". Not so with making other apps, especially android's.

So you agree that BBM, the software made by BBRY, is running on Android. No matter who said what in "Loosing The Signal", BBRY is and will be developing software for other platforms. That is the point for them to make Android phones without fighting in two fronts.
    08-19-15 02:04 PM
    When BlackBerry bought QNX, they didn't have a GUI. They leveraged Adobe Flash for their GUI needs which is why the PlayBook was a flash based GUI just like QNX had been doing with Infotainment integration. Once Flash backed out of mobile, and BlackBerry's discovery that it wasn't an efficient GUI for mobile, BlackBerry had to buy TAT and have them build Cascades and the BB10 frameworks for them. QNX has adopted some of this BB10 building to be able to make their Auto reference platforms that now have non Flash based GUI. Beyond that the QNX group, the handset/BB10 group, and the BES group don't work well together at all.

Posted via Z30
    You are mistaken.

Photon micoGUI

and

Qt Software, a Nokia subsidiary, first ported Qt to the QNX Neutrino RTOS in July 2009.
    08-19-15 02:41 PM
    BlackBerry should realize they are something like Volvo. Volvo has a small and very loyal following for their cars. People that buy Volvo cars do so for the safety and build quality. Also like Subaru, another small company with a loyal following. I have bought 4 Subaru's over the last 15 years and do so for the quality and safety. I can't see myself buying another brand just to look cool or fit in to some crowd.
    My point is that BlackBerry is also a small company with a loyal following and the reason people buy BlackBerry devices is for the security and privacy they get. I'm sure Volvo and Subaru don't want to change what made them have a loyal following for all these years. I think what BlackBerry would be doing by going to android is slapping their loyal Buyers and users in the face and saying "screw you guys that have supported us all these years. We want more money and are going to jump on the android bandwagon and if you don't like it, too bad". BlackBerry doesn't understand that their users and buyers are LOYAL to the OS and the Brand. Moving to android and just being like everyone else is going to be the end of them because they will never be able to compete in that market. I for one will never buy a BlackBerry running android. What's the point?
    Subaru and Volvo make money selling cars. BB aint making money selling BB's
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-19-15 03:22 PM
    All I can truthfully say now is that I really hope Blackberry knows what they're doing.
    08-19-15 04:25 PM
    It makes a lot of sense to offer both OS's. That way they maximize the market share to recoup some. R&D expenses. But I doubt they do it.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 06:09 PM
    You are mistaken.

Photon micoGUI

and

Qt Software, a Nokia subsidiary, first ported Qt to the QNX Neutrino RTOS in July 2009.
    Ok, a good and native GUI for the OS itself. Did you look at Photon? Looks like visual basic 1.0 and is more desktop focused. Even comments in the second article you linked say photon was dated. QT is a framework to build applications, it is not a GUI for the OS.

BlackBerry Bought QNX in April 2010. They had to build a mobile OS GUI and functionality because it wasn't there. PlayBook launched in April 2011. So it took a year to TabletOS to a very beta state. It wasn't like if they had bought WebOS, which I wish they had done, and had a complete package to offer quickly to build off of. It basically took BlackBerry 2 years and 9 months to get a phone deployed with QNX because it was a micro kernel and not a complete OS with a mobile optimized GUI that could be put into a phone.

Posted via Z30
    08-19-15 07:18 PM
    Don't know guys. If I wanted an android phone I would get one. Now it would be awesome if you could switch between the two on the fly bb10 and android but doubt that is even possible. So if they don't have a bb10 edition available I'm not interested.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-19-15 07:27 PM
166 ... 23456 ...