09-19-15 07:08 AM
166 12345 ...
tools
    I'm hoping this Android Slider fiasco is an attempt to just gain $$$ from the millions of android phones being sold. After BlackBerry releases a killer phone, it will then have the equity to continue BB10 development.

It is completely brainless to "totally" abandon an OS that BlackBerry has spent millions into, and several years now. BB10 has finally beginning to prove to be a killer OS, but BlackBerry doesn't have the traction to boost sales.

Keep in mind, BlackBerry at this point will do anything for cash, but they also know that being solely in android can be detrimental in the long run.

BB10 must live on.

Hopefully this is true.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    08-18-15 09:03 PM
    I'd prefer if they offered two versions of the phone as well as I am not crazy about android, but I am a supporter of them and willing to give the slider a shot. Who knows, maybe if things don't work out for them, their software side might might be improving as well as developer interest and they can go back to what they have been known and loved for.

At least they have the ability to be able to do that unlike their competition
    According to this article you will have a choice of either BlackBerry 10.3 or Android http://www.streetwisereport.com/blac...ysembt/125058/
    So you'll hopefully get your wish and I know which version I'll be getting and it won't be Android.

Posted via CB10
    lift and Reed Richards like this.
    08-18-15 09:17 PM
    According to this article you will have a choice of either BlackBerry 10.3 or Android http://www.streetwisereport.com/blac...ysembt/125058/
    So you'll hopefully get your wish and I know which version I'll be getting and it won't be Android.

Posted via CB10
    Leading a two-front war, eh? In this economy, and their current financial and resource state? Come on....

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339 on XL Network
    08-18-15 09:41 PM
    Either someone on reddit is lying (the last report was that the slider was running BB10), or there are two versions. Shocking, I know, that someone on reddit might lie....

I don't think BlackBerry has the resources to maintain two OSes, but if they are going android with the slider, they will face a critical set of choices: continue to support the Passport and Leap as BB10 devices; convert them to android by some secure update process; or abandon them, which would seem ridiculous. However, they sold Bold 9900s on shopblackberry in 2014, and still haven't offered a fix for the FREAK vulnerability in the browser, so they don't have a great track record for supporting recent handset offerings.

It seems to me that BlackBerry's silence suggests that the slider has to be an android device. There have been a LOT of rumours, publicized on very mainstream websites, and BlackBerry has said nothing to clarify the situation. If the device ships without android after all this speculation, the press will be very negative and the device will be tainted by that bad publicity ("Just another BB10 device."). It would have been much better to head off these rumours at the outset, if they are false.

As for me, I never wanted an android ... but I do like sliders. Somebody better hack that bootloader so I can put LuneOS on it. There's always a silver lining!
    08-18-15 09:45 PM
    It begins to look like the slider will be stock Android running the same BlackBerry Experience suite that will be made available to all Android devices, as well as other platforms. Possibly a downloadable launcher.

If so, then the only reason to buy from BlackBerry rather than download to some other device would be to take advantage of some special hardware-based security provisions.
    In addition to that, this will appeal to former BlackBerry users who love optional physical keyboards. I know I am one of them being a former owner of Torch 9810. The larger issue is, will this save BlackBerry hardware division at all? I have no intention of buying BlackBerry's version of Nokia N9.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-18-15 11:50 PM
    Whether BB goes with a hybrid setup or pure Android on the slider, they won't be maintaining two OSes. First, they won't be maintaining Android at all - they'll simply be maintaining software for Android - much less work than maintaining the entire OS. The continued development of BB10 is clearly minimal these days too, so while they are technically maintaining it, they aren't developing it. Existing devices will still have the most basic of support, just like with BBOS legacy devices. They will NOT be getting Android. It would require even more work to port it over and fully support it, plus you'd fragment things because some users won't update to Android if it was available because they wouldn't want to or they wouldn't be allowed to for security reasons. So that's even more to worry about for support costs. Maybe Passport might get Android, but that'd be it.

I was hoping that BB10 in a stripped down fashion could be used as the main interface and I'm positive it could be done technically, but it seems more and more likely that the QNX Hypervisor is just to handle locking things down and adding an additional security layer. It is possible that they might offer a pure BB10 option too, but I'm starting to believe that 10.3.3 is just the next maintenance release for existing devices only. Even if BB10 is going to die, I'd prefer to run it with the prospect of switching it to Android later once the BB10 experience is fully comparable. Knowing BB, that is just not going to be any time soon.
    KingOfQwerty and kirson like this.
    08-19-15 12:14 AM
    This maybe my next phone. I loved my Torch. Best of both worlds, IMO.
    best of both worlds how? I loved my Torch and Torch 2 too but the vkb was absolutely horrible. Worst vkb ever probably. Best of 1 world, unfortunately with that phone.
    08-19-15 12:40 AM
    In addition to that, this will appeal to former BlackBerry users who love optional physical keyboards. I know I am one of them being a former owner of Torch 9810. The larger issue is, will this save BlackBerry hardware division at all? I have no intention of buying BlackBerry's version of Nokia N9.
    I have no intention of buying an android. former slider user here too. and no i don't think it will save the hardware division. it's one small fish in a giant body of water.
    08-19-15 12:42 AM
    It's gonna be too big. Way too big
    Better than being too wide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-19-15 12:52 AM
    All these people complaining about this slider running Android and here I am patiently waiting for this phone to come out so I can buy it.

nick13b likes this.
    08-19-15 12:59 AM
    All these people complaining about this slider running Android and here I am patiently waiting for this phone to come out so I can buy it.

@evleaks: BlackBerry Venice confirmed for November release on all four national US carriers. pic.twitter.com/l5jFCGKLjO

Original: https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/633863396807458816

Hat tip @Bla1ze for the linkage

More: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ven...droid-and-more

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-19-15 01:28 AM
    It begins to look like the slider will be stock Android running the same BlackBerry Experience suite that will be made available to all Android devices, as well as other platforms.
    Trust me, even after the slider ships running stock Android, there will be people here postulating that QNX is deep in there running the show like the Wizard of Oz even though that makes absolutely no sense. It will probably become an accepted myth similar to the idea that QNX is running iOS and Android apps in CarPlay and Android Auto dash units (it's not).
    08-19-15 01:53 AM
    It begins to look like the slider will be stock Android running the same BlackBerry Experience suite that will be made available to all Android devices, as well as other platforms. Possibly a downloadable launcher.

If so, then the only reason to buy from BlackBerry rather than download to some other device would be to take advantage of some special hardware-based security provisions.
    No, I'm 99% certain it's not a pure android with BB cosmetics
    08-19-15 02:09 AM
    Slider A for Android
    Slider B for BlackBerry?

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    LOL, what about
    Slide in - VKB - Android
    Slide out - PKB - BB10
    dalinxz likes this.
    08-19-15 02:18 AM
    LOL, what about
    Slide in - VKB - Android
    Slide out - PKB - BB10
    The keyboard with touch sensitivity would be a KVM all in one.
    08-19-15 03:06 AM
    I think people are expecting too much out of a slider. It's most likely a vanilla android with few blackberry apps that will work clunky at the beginning. Half a year down the road they might patch it right. All this can be expected by just summarizing blackberry's past development of their own OS as well as BBM for other OSes. Expecting some giant Leap in software quality is unreasonable unless blackberry struck a deal with either google or samsung to develop their apps for them.

It took BB10 up to version 2.1 to be what it should have been from the beginning. And even then it lacked and still lacks some of the features of 7, I mean if your two development departments are not talking to each other or not using 7s at all to straight down just copy features then you get the picture what kind of work environment is at BB. It's absolutely no wonder why they are where they are and from what we can tell very little has changed in their development philosophy.
    Shuswap and eldricho like this.
    08-19-15 03:40 AM
    No, I'm 99% certain it's not a pure android with BB cosmetics
    A special ROM then?
    08-19-15 06:26 AM
    A special ROM then?
    I dunno. Sources tell me it's a hybrid, but I haven't been in touch enough to get more details
    08-19-15 06:54 AM
    I'm hoping this Android Slider fiasco is an attempt to just gain $$$ from the millions of android phones being sold. After BlackBerry releases a killer phone, it will then have the equity to continue BB10 development.

It is completely brainless to "totally" abandon an OS that BlackBerry has spent millions into, and several years now. BB10 has finally beginning to prove to be a killer OS, but BlackBerry doesn't have the traction to boost sales.

Keep in mind, BlackBerry at this point will do anything for cash, but they also know that being solely in android can be detrimental in the long run.

BB10 must live on.

Hopefully this is true.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    That same strategy didn't work for Palm when it started making Treos running Windows Phone to give them market share and sales while they got WebOS ready. I left at that point because I knew it was a desperation move and wouldn't work. This is the same from BlackBerry. Instead of putting any effort into BB10 or consumer education, release a phone with another OS and throw tons of R&D away. Sound Chentastic!

Posted via Z30
    Shuswap likes this.
    08-19-15 07:38 AM
    I think people are expecting too much out of a slider. It's most likely a vanilla android with few blackberry apps that will work clunky at the beginning. Half a year down the road they might patch it right. All this can be expected by just summarizing blackberry's past development of their own OS as well as BBM for other OSes. Expecting some giant Leap in software quality is unreasonable unless blackberry struck a deal with either google or samsung to develop their apps for them.

It took BB10 up to version 2.1 to be what it should have been from the beginning. And even then it lacked and still lacks some of the features of 7, I mean if your two development departments are not talking to each other or not using 7s at all to straight down just copy features then you get the picture what kind of work environment is at BB. It's absolutely no wonder why they are where they are and from what we can tell very little has changed in their development philosophy.
    Exactly so why buy an Android BlackBerry? It will be inferior to other Android phones at likely the the same price because BlackBerry sucks at initial releases. They have already announced the BlackBerry experience is going cross platform, so why waste time with a BlackBerry, especially if BlackBerry converted you to an all touch user with BB10? I mean I know the people here who buy three different Passports and 4 colors of Classic will get one because they think it is their duty to Glorious Chairman Chen to buy whatever he throws over the wall, but I just can't see this thing selling well. If I'm wrong then kudos to him, but it will be the final straw for me to be abandoned by BlackBerry yet again. I will view this as one more experiment that is perpetuated as a genuine strategy.

Posted via Z30
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and kirson like this.
    08-19-15 07:47 AM
    And BlackBerry is selling enough BB10 devices to keep the lights on also.
    No they are not... Hardware alone is in the RED. It's only because of Services and Software that overall the company has managed to stay in the black. Now it is possible with all this restructuring of the hardware business (basically outsourcing everything)... they'll be able to make a profit, even at the current product levels. But I seriously doubt they'll be able to do that and continue BB10 development very far.
    08-19-15 08:33 AM
    I dunno. Sources tell me it's a hybrid, but I haven't been in touch enough to get more details
    sources tell me it's gas powered.
    Xmeatizmurderx likes this.
    08-19-15 10:35 AM
    Looking at the history of test devices, this is yet another test device. How many test devices never made it to production? Tons. Without the context of what this device is being used to test (hardware, software, EMM, etc...) its all just speculation. Maybe its an Android device designed for a particular customer to support a very particular role never to be released to the public.

My suggestion, don't build up an expectation and you won't be disappointed.
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-19-15 10:46 AM
    Explains all the hot air in here
    08-19-15 10:48 AM
    And BlackBerry is selling enough BB10 devices to keep the lights on also.
    Huh?
    08-19-15 10:50 AM
166 12345 ...