12-30-10 04:54 PM
58 123
tools
    Yes, there are only rumours to back this up, but I think I have a fairly decent success rate.

• it was said to be the first or second LTE device to drop on Verizon. I expect it to be second but not far behind.
    • will be announced at CES, will start shipping a couple months later.
    • It will not be called a Storm, as that name has some poor connotations.
    • It will have somewhat the same specs as the PlayBook
    • Will NOT ne running a OMAP 4, but one with EVDO capabilities (Most likely the Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8960)
    • 1GB RAM
    • It will be running a QNX OS with the spirit (general design, personalized touches) of the current BBOS platform, but with drastic improvements to the GUI (thanks to TAT). Most likely widgets.
    • LTE, HSPA, and EVDO rev A
    • Verizon may restrict it from using North American HSPA frequencies, but there will be a version with these frequencies.
    • it will have a front facing camera.
    • no hardware keyboard. No SurePress either (likely). but it WILL have a trackpad.
    • will most likely launch with the PlayBook
    • comparable battery life.
      [3.7" screen

And I expect it to look similar to this:

This is my expectations, and I expect to be at or over 70% accurate.
    Last edited by grahamf; 12-27-10 at 12:52 AM.
    12-22-10 05:59 PM
    I hope your right on all this cause with all these LTE devices that are gonna be dropping RIM better have the QNX Storm ready NOW or **** is F-ed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 06:29 PM
    I'll buy one but they should defiantly speed up the process....... I've already gotten my early up grade call and the wait is killing me.
    12-22-10 06:45 PM
    We'll know for sure if your right or hopelessly hopeful in a few weeks.
    12-22-10 07:53 PM
    there are already several LTE android devices either closeto ready or ready to be released. I dont see any QNX/LTE BB anytime soon
    12-22-10 07:58 PM
    Let me make a prediction....ML pulls out a OS6 Storm and talks about how sweet OS6 cause you can dance to Black Eyed Pea videos with it....people stare in confusion and walk away from the RIM booth @ CES...DOH!! The CB community trudges on waiting for the next big show with yet another disappointment.

12-22-10 08:21 PM
    Let me make a prediction....ML pulls out a OS6 Storm and talks about how sweet OS6 cause you can dance to Black Eyed Pea videos with it....people stare in confusion and walk away from the RIM booth @ CES...DOH!! The CB community trudges on waiting for the next big show with yet another disappointment.

Sadly, this is the most likely outcome.

12-22-10 08:36 PM
    12-22-10 09:06 PM
    Hmm... Htc thunderbolt - Blackberry storm3.... I'm sensing a theme here (or at least I hope haha).
    12-22-10 10:32 PM
    there are already several LTE android devices either closeto ready or ready to be released. I dont see any QNX/LTE BB anytime soon
    Verizon confirmed that they wil be carrying a LTE Blackberry and it will be one of the first few devices to launch.

And currently BBOS is unable to take advantage of LTE chipsets (minimum 1ghz iirc), so QNX is a given.
    12-23-10 01:18 AM
    It's hard to tell what RIM will design it with.

12-23-10 01:24 AM
    Like many others, I got my Storm 1 shortly after it came out, which means that I received my upgrade December 6th. BUT, I decided that I will be waiting until CES to decide which phone I will be getting.
    If they at least announce this device, I will wait. If not, I will get whatever best 4G Verizon phone there is. Hopefully Android 2.3 with NFC
    12-23-10 03:59 AM
    Verizon confirmed that they wil be carrying a LTE Blackberry and it will be one of the first few devices to launch.

And currently BBOS is unable to take advantage of LTE chipsets (minimum 1ghz iirc), so QNX is a given.
    Where was it confirmed by Verizon? Even CX said there won't be QNX phones in Q1 and to look for phones at Blackberry World so I highly doubt the S3 will be one of the first lte phones.
    Rello likes this.
    12-23-10 11:18 AM

Graham, I sincerely hope you are correct with your prediction!
    12-23-10 11:38 AM
    Where was it confirmed by Verizon? Even CX said there won't be QNX phones in Q1 and to look for phones at Blackberry World so I highly doubt the S3 will be one of the first lte phones.
    BlackBerry, HTC, LG, Motorola Developing Smartphones for Verizon's LTE Network

This also confirms that it will be available in march or soon after, with an announcement at or around CES (as Blackberry World will be too late; but it will have new devices also)

And there's no way that RIM would put BBOS on a completely new device that will revitalize their brand.
    12-23-10 02:09 PM
    Your making the assumption that RIM expects a 4G Storm to revitalize their brand. All of RIM's statements have pointed that RIM expects the Playbook to do this. RIM could run BBOS on a 1 GHz processor, overkill, but their would be no issues with it. They could be releasing an LTE storm just so your playbook can browse at LTE speed when paired with the phone.
    12-23-10 03:25 PM
    The new LTE phone doesn't have to be QNX... it could be OS6 ... or even a different OS that we've never heard of (Sals post from about 6 months ago about the S4 that was already being tested (S3 was the supposed to be the refresh which was canceled).

I definitely believe in what you are saying graham. And a bunch of other people have come up with info about new phones dropping Q1 with LTE (like the VZW torch perhaps...)
    12-23-10 04:13 PM
    Hey grahamf I hope your bragging of your success rate is right because I want and need a storm running QNX and 4G soon I'm only giving Rim till March IF it's not out or serious leaks by then i'm going to another phone!

P.S. you don't wear a thumb ring do You LOL!!!!
    12-23-10 10:03 PM
    Hey grahamf I hope your bragging of your success rate is right because I want and need a storm running QNX and 4G soon I'm only giving Rim till March IF it's not out or serious leaks by then i'm going to another phone!

P.S. you don't wear a thumb ring do You LOL!!!!
    I just feel pretty good about my accuracy. And previous instances indicate that I'm somewhat on the right track.

The LTE Storm will most likely be announced in January, with more devices announced at Blackberry World.
    12-23-10 11:10 PM
    I hope so I'm tired of waiting and need a new phone thats better setup to run qnx and 4g im not buying another 3g phone when 4g is here!!!!!
    12-24-10 08:49 AM
    I don't mean to be a PITA, but can you post a link to the article that states that. Thanks.
    12-24-10 08:15 PM
    BlackBerry, HTC, LG, Motorola Developing Smartphones for Verizon's LTE Network

This also confirms that it will be available in march or soon after, with an announcement at or around CES (as Blackberry World will be too late; but it will have new devices also)

And there's no way that RIM would put BBOS on a completely new device that will revitalize their brand.
    I'm not trying to be an a$$ but the link says nothing about rim having one of the first phones out or confirming they will have one ready for March, just states they are working on one, but who isn't. I don't think they will put LTE into a OS6 device when they have QNX waiting in the wings and CX confirmed that it wouldn't be Q1 for the new OS on a phone. I think were looking at at least a May release.
    12-24-10 08:27 PM
    The new LTE phone doesn't have to be QNX... it could be OS6 ... or even a different OS that we've never heard of (Sals post from about 6 months ago about the S4 that was already being tested (S3 was the supposed to be the refresh which was canceled).

I definitely believe in what you are saying graham. And a bunch of other people have come up with info about new phones dropping Q1 with LTE (like the VZW torch perhaps...)
    The different OS you speak of, and that Sal was talking about a long time is obviously the huge hold up on this phone. I think RIM realized that the way they made the first Storm was half @$$ backwards by adapting their current OS to the touchscreen instead of developing an OS that was based on a touchscreen phone from the ground up. With all the OS problems of the first Storm the new OS S3 has been in development for a long time. Cause all they did with the S2 was fix the Sure Press mechanism instead of the OS. However, what probably happen, I'm assuming, is that they had this touch-based OS in development, then purchased QNX and realized how much more stable the QNX kernel is, that this is their future, and had to switch them out on this phone. Therefore delaying the phone by having to start over on the development of the QNX mobile OS.

My belief, as others have said, is that OS6 was just a stop gap for the Web-kit browser. However, I think RIM took some of the ideas they had going on from this different touch-based OS and applied it to OS6 on the Torch. However, the reason I feel they didn't put this new OS on the Torch was because, 1 it wasn't ready (same problem going on with the Storm), 2 OS6 has the old BBOS kernel still and was just easier and faster to build to get something on the market touchscreen-wise to stop some of the bleeding on AT&T from a consumer phone stand-point, 3 and lastly I don't think the Torch was suppose to be such a multi-media and gaming powerhouse as the new Storm is suppose to be. The Torch with the slide out keyboard is still aimed at the business consumer that may just want the bigger screen and touch ability. However, this business consumer really doesn't care about gaming and stuff on a phone, so that's why OS6 FITS on the Torch.

Which leads me to my thought as to why RIM does need a QNX Storm now and not an OS6 Storm. The new Storm DOES need to be QNX because of the OS Flash ability, this in-turn giving it more gaming ability as a full toucscreen consumer device that CAN compete with the iPHone gaming and Droids. The Storm is no doubt a consumer device, that regardless of it being a BB, it's not aimed at BB users so much, its aimed at the consumer who does want a toy more or less. I mean isn't that the arguement that everyone on here makes when an iPhone fanboy posts something knocking the Storm or a BB. Everyone's rebuttal is, go play with your toy and I'll stick with my BB that does what I need it to. Well with the market changing and there being an abundance of touchscreen, Droids, W7 and iPHones flooding the market, this is where RIM is being cut and bleeding from so they need a quality device to compete with these phones with an exciting OS and all the features of these phones. RIM can still keep OS6 on the physical keyboard phones and the Torch for now cause they still do what they NEED to do, which is messaging, email and a slightly better browsing experience. However, RIM's straight consumer phone can't not have great gaming ability and all the bells and whistles of all these other touchscreen phones it's competeing against regardless if it wants to compete against them or not.
    OS6 on a LTE Storm would be a fail IMO because of all this. OS6 still runs apps off the App memory thus restriciting the ability of App developers to wanna make large rich gaming apps for a RIM phone. With QNX there is much more ease of app development due to it's Flash ability, also I'm assuming with a much more stable kernel, we won't have the problem anymore of memory loss and the black clock of death lock-ups. So please RIM do us a favor and give us a QNX Storm soon.
    12-26-10 10:35 AM
    Not to rain on your parade graham but vZW does not have a new storm anywhere near deployment. Don't expect anything at CES more than a tease. You will see plenty of Android...

And VZW had over 100k users go from BB to android last month. It us not that good between VZW and RIM at the moment.

12-26-10 11:41 AM
    hehe no surprise there bro. thanks for the info
    12-26-10 12:46 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD