12-14-09 04:44 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    10-03-09 10:04 PM
    Ahhh yes. This will be my next phone.
    10-03-09 10:05 PM
    So I examined the photos of the essex that salo posted, and it looks like it has the same keyboard as the 9700 with the trim of the tour. I am basing this off of the shorter bottom row on the keyboard and the trim around the bottom and sides of the phone. We just got my wife a tour, and I like it. I can't wait for this to drop. Despite my inability to wait, I must wait until march as that is when I am eligible to upgrade
    10-03-09 10:23 PM
    Do we know when this phone is supposed to drop?
    10-03-09 11:35 PM
    Nice... this seems to be the CDMA version of the Bold (Onyx).

Too bad lot of Tour owners won't be able to buy this unless they pay retail.

I would've definitely would've waited a few more months to get this instead of the current Tour.
    Last edited by Button; 10-03-09 at 11:51 PM.
    10-03-09 11:49 PM
    I'm eligible to upgrade in Feb 2010, so hopefully it will be at Verizon by then. I heard its supposed to hit Sprint first, though (I think).
    10-04-09 12:36 AM
    Why do all the new gsm blackberrys get the full white keypad where all the new cdma ones have the red numbers/speaker. minor complaint, but it's the reason I'll skip this one lol.. I used my upgrade for the tour, so if I'm paying full retail for this new phone I'd rather it have at least a design upgrade as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 08:42 AM
    i hope rim gets rid of the black plastic strip between the keyboard and screen. from the pics posted, it looks like it's still there. i'd also prefer the all white keyboard over the white/red.
    10-04-09 10:20 AM

I would've definitely would've waited a few more months to get this instead of the current Tour.
    Who really knows about the launch date? You could be waiting a while.

For those on Bell/Telus you had to wait better than a year for an option above the Curve 8330.

With Bell's HSPA Network launching I bet the next option comes sooner, however, again who knows. Bell is a FAT company and they move s-l-o-w.
    10-04-09 10:22 AM
    I would like to wait for this but probably won't. I'm eligible for uprade now on Sprint and currently have a 8330. I really don't think the Essex will have anything more than the Tour that would make me wait. Wifi would really be the only thing and I don't hang out in coffee shops enough to make it worth the wait. The Tour with a 3mp camera is enough for me, it has GSM so its usuable when I travel to the Carribean and processor and memroy are a huge improvement from the 8330.

If the Essex was gonna be availble by the end of the year I would wait, but it doesn't seem like it will be.

My $.02

10-04-09 12:42 PM
    i hope rim gets rid of the black plastic strip between the keyboard and screen. from the pics posted, it looks like it's still there. i'd also prefer the all white keyboard over the white/red.
    You are talking about the the little thin strip or the boarder of the screen black strip?
    Either way, I think there are numerous ways they can improve the design.
    I don't mean to nit-pick, but part of the reason everyone says 'more of the same, with slight upgrades' is because they all look so much alike. Someone saw the top half of my tour from the back and thought it was the storm, someone else thought it was the curve 8900.
    I think a little bit more redesign each time would serve well to making them seem more individual in the blackberry line:
    Unified materials (tour backs - sprint goes from matte rubber finish to glossy all across/ verizon goes from matte rubber+glossy insert to the matte rubber+carbon fibre insert),
    I like the neutral coloring of the all white keyboard (red is a bold color and doesn't always go well with wallpapers, also makes the keyboard look unbalanced)
    tighter seams - helps with dust, aesthetics (when lit up in a dark area, my tour keyboard looks like sandpaper with all the dust in the cracks.

Then again, I'm just a graphic design student, whereas rim has professional designers. Lol. So I'm sure there are reasons and I'm sure they appeal to more people than not. I'm not saying they aren't bad looking phones, but from a design standpoint, there's areas of improvement.

10-04-09 01:21 PM
    Do we know when this phone is supposed to drop?
    This is expected sometime in the first half of 2010.

10-04-09 01:32 PM
    I like the red numbers

10-04-09 01:38 PM
    nice trackpad, nothing else really different from the Tour's hardware, except for the camera if it is higher...Good thing it has WiFi too...
    10-04-09 01:45 PM
    You are talking about the the little thin strip or the boarder of the screen black strip?
    Either way, I think there are numerous ways they can improve the design.
    I don't mean to nit-pick, but part of the reason everyone says 'more of the same, with slight upgrades' is because they all look so much alike. Someone saw the top half of my tour from the back and thought it was the storm, someone else thought it was the curve 8900.
    I think a little bit more redesign each time would serve well to making them seem more individual in the blackberry line:
    Unified materials (tour backs - sprint goes from matte rubber finish to glossy all across/ verizon goes from matte rubber+glossy insert to the matte rubber+carbon fibre insert),
    I like the neutral coloring of the all white keyboard (red is a bold color and doesn't always go well with wallpapers, also makes the keyboard look unbalanced)
    tighter seams - helps with dust, aesthetics (when lit up in a dark area, my tour keyboard looks like sandpaper with all the dust in the cracks.

Then again, I'm just a graphic design student, whereas rim has professional designers. Lol. So I'm sure there are reasons and I'm sure they appeal to more people than not. I'm not saying they aren't bad looking phones, but from a design standpoint, there's areas of improvement.

I meant the little thin strip, but I hate the black border around the screen just as much. Tighter seams would be a big plus too.

10-04-09 02:01 PM
    I like it... hope it gets a release in the first quarter. I will get one when I move to to the states in March
    10-04-09 02:32 PM
    Hmm...I wonder...

If the dimensions of the Essex are identical to the Tour; would it be safe to assume that the area containing the BB button, trackpad, and back button are the same size as well?

(I also pondered this with the 9700, since the keyboard and button area are just about the same size as per this vid: )

If that's the case, what are the chances that one can purchase a replacement keyboard/trackpad (when they become available) and install it on the current Tour?
    10-04-09 07:16 PM
    Hmm...I wonder...

If the dimensions of the Essex are identical to the Tour; would it be safe to assume that the area containing the BB button, trackpad, and back button are the same size as well?

(I also pondered this with the 9700, since the keyboard and button area are just about the same size as per this vid: )

If that's the case, what are the chances that one can purchase a replacement keyboard/trackpad (when they become available) and install it on the current Tour?
    I'm not sure about what I'm about to say, but I don't think you can switch your trackball for a trackpad. Why? Because when RIM was developing the 9700, they made the trackball version first and then the trackpad version came out. Once they put the trackpad on and dropped the trackball, the OS for the trackball 9700's was not compatible on the trackpad version and vice-versa. I could be 100% wrong, but I don't think RIM would allow that to happen, they would sell less phones too.
    10-04-09 07:51 PM
    To support salomondrin, trying to support >5.0.0.146 on a 9020 definitely didn't work in my experience, and cx has stated that a few times. He'd probably be the best one to ask
    10-04-09 08:11 PM
    To support salomondrin, trying to support >5.0.0.146 on a 9020 definitely didn't work in my experience, and cx has stated that a few times. He'd probably be the best one to ask
    You are correct my friend. You cannot replace the trackball with a trackpad. You example is a perfect one.

10-04-09 08:18 PM
    ^^^

Thanks for clearing that up guys!

If it's nothing more than an OS version limitation, wouldn't installing the compatible version (5.0.0.146 or whatever it may be) solve that? Just trying to rule out all possibilities here lol...but yeah, I figured there'd be more to it than a simple swap. It was worth a shot, no?

I guess I'll just wait it out till the Essex drops. Hopefully my sprint premier service kicks in by then *crosses fingers*
    10-04-09 10:36 PM
    I love this video so much, not only for it's information, but it shows that Sal's a fan of one of my favorite shows, American Dad!
    10-04-09 11:15 PM
    I love this video so much, not only for it's information, but it shows that Sal's a fan of one of my favorite shows, American Dad!
    I hope tonight's episode is awesome
    10-04-09 11:25 PM
    A lot of people are complaining about the Tour, but you love your Tour right? So I assume you never had any problems with it?

I will need to go with a CDMA bb as I will be with Sprint when I move over to Denver in March.
    10-05-09 03:07 AM
    I hope tonight's episode is awesome
    I was at work! And posted that far after it had aired in the EST area, so I had to wait and torrent it overnight! So I still haven't watched it.
    10-05-09 10:27 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD