12-16-09 04:02 AM
56 123
tools
    that picture is a photoshop
    09-02-09 03:42 PM
    Its a good move by Sprint to release this phone. I am with ATT and patiently waiting for the Onyx, but if the Essex is on the horizon, I may be tempted to switch providers. Their Everything plan is unbeatable in my opinion. Also, they offer faster data in my area. My wife has an 8330 and her data speeds are just about equal to my Bold! The only thing that has been missing from Sprint's BB lineup is the wifi. It looks like that will be taken care of. I maybe jumping ship soon. They better hurry though, because if the Onyx releases and there is still no word of the Essex, ATT will be my home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 01:53 AM
    Its a good move by Sprint to release this phone. I am with ATT and patiently waiting for the Onyx, but if the Essex is on the horizon, I may be tempted to switch providers. Their Everything plan is unbeatable in my opinion. Also, they offer faster data in my area. My wife has an 8330 and her data speeds are just about equal to my Bold! The only thing that has been missing from Sprint's BB lineup is the wifi. It looks like that will be taken care of. I maybe jumping ship soon. They better hurry though, because if the Onyx releases and there is still no word of the Essex, ATT will be my home.

Why do you assume that Sprint will be the first CDMA carrier to release the Essex? What's your source?
    09-03-09 03:05 PM
    onyx wins.
    09-03-09 06:25 PM
    doesnt the onyx have a trackpad. and the leather back as well. the tour/essex doesnt. the onyx also seems larger and more solid than the tour
    09-03-09 11:41 PM
    From what i have heard:

Essex is the "atlas" which is a tour + wifi+ trackpad + an unknown feature which is Rumored to be an accelerometer.

Onyx is a smaller bold + trackpad + 3.2MP camera (same as tour) + double the memory (256mb, same as tour)

That said, as cool as an accelerometer is, I would think the bolds processor is more valuable. Since the onyx also adds the tours camera and memory (the only things the tour had that beat the bold) the onyx seems to be the better phone. The onyx appears to be the new top of the line berry.

I, however, can't wait for the essex/atlas/9650. I am a very happy sprint customer, and I'll take whatever their top of the line blackberry is. I don't need the best phone, just something that will hold its own along side the other top smart phones. I think the essex will more than meet my standards, even though it will play second fiddle to the onyx.
    09-04-09 11:18 PM
    Although this is a minor item, isn't there supposed to be a change in form factor as well from tour to Essex in that the Essex is rumored to have a curve-like keyboard versus Tour's Boldish keyboard?

If I was on ATT or TMobile, Id definitely choose Onyx. I'm hoping Verizon will get Essex by the time my upgrade is up next year.
    09-05-09 12:37 AM
    Although this is a minor item, isn't there supposed to be a change in form factor as well from tour to Essex in that the Essex is rumored to have a curve-like keyboard versus Tour's Boldish keyboard?

If I was on ATT or TMobile, Id definitely choose Onyx. I'm hoping Verizon will get Essex by the time my upgrade is up next year.
    I really hope the Essex doesn't have the Curve style keyboard. I would like to see it have an 8830 style, with ridges on each key intead of the depressions on each key in the Tour.

I find the Curve is hardest to type on, 8830 is the best and Tour is somewhere in between.
    09-05-09 02:03 PM
    I find it comical with the many people in these threads who are already judging the Essex without any known specs besides wifi and trackpad, or a real pic. Some saying the Onyx will be better, some say it will be worse, but no actual info about it lol! You guys are hilarious. haha
    09-06-09 06:56 PM
    I am getting so confused these days... there is what? 5? rumored devices that are coming out?
    09-06-09 08:46 PM
    I am getting so confused these days... there is what? 5? rumored devices that are coming out?
    Actually its worse than that. There are usually 5-10 codenames floating around at any given time. Some are real, some are not. Some are old and new names for the same device. Some are internal code names, some names are what they will be called when they hit the market.

LOL! Feel better now? Don't take it too seriously, or it will make you nuts.

09-06-09 09:20 PM
    So does anyone know what the major difference is yet?
    09-06-09 11:40 PM
    I find it comical with the many people in these threads who are already judging the Essex without any known specs besides wifi and trackpad, or a real pic. Some saying the Onyx will be better, some say it will be worse, but no actual info about it lol! You guys are hilarious. haha
    It is WAY too early to start judging the Essex. There is nothing but rumor out there about this phone. This phone is probably still a good 8-12 months away.
    09-08-09 01:13 AM
    cant wait for essex...
    09-08-09 12:39 PM
    Because basically from what I'm guessing since the ESSEX is a TOUR with Wifi that would mean its a world phone which means that you have the option of having a sim card in there from any other company. For example, I have verizon but could have a Vodaphone or a AT&T sim card in there. Of course with AT&T I couldn't have 3g speeds, I would have EDGE but the option of switching between Verizon and AT&T is there. But i believe though for to be able to use an American cell provider like AT&T and T-Mobile it would have to be Unlocked.
    Huh? Wifi has nothing to do with whether a phone has world capabilities. See Storm 1 and Tour for examples.

As far as a "big" difference between Essex and Onyx, put my guess down as a difference in cpu clock speeds. Why the **** would you put an accelerometer in a qwerty non full screen phone?
    09-08-09 01:29 PM
    Huh? Wifi has nothing to do with whether a phone has world capabilities. See Storm 1 and Tour for examples.

As far as a "big" difference between Essex and Onyx, put my guess down as a difference in cpu clock speeds. Why the **** would you put an accelerometer in a qwerty non full screen phone?
    Sorry, I was trying to imply that the ESSEX is a world phone like the TOUR with the added benefit of having WIFI, where as the ONYX is not considered a world phone.
    09-08-09 04:21 PM
    Sorry, I was trying to imply that the ESSEX is a world phone like the TOUR with the added benefit of having WIFI, where as the ONYX is not considered a world phone.
    correct. It would be nice to have wifi when your traveling. I'm not sure what to think of the Essex's trackpad though. I hear its hard to use if you have the slightest kind of moisture on your fingers. Sun I hear also makes the trackpad hard to use due to the heat. I just wish they kept the trackball which I fell in love with.
    09-08-09 06:40 PM
    Why the **** would you put an accelerometer in a qwerty non full screen phone?
    To detect when the phone is rotated, the same reason you would put one in a touch scree/full screen phone. This is useful when viewing pictures and when taking pictures. The new palm pixi has one.
    09-09-09 10:15 AM
    So does anyone know what the major difference is yet?
    The major difference is the CPU.

09-10-09 05:26 AM
    does anyone know when the essex is slated to come out???
    09-12-09 11:53 AM
    People have been hinting on late q4 but I don't think it will hit till q1-q2

09-12-09 12:12 PM
    Yes there are definitely differences between the two devices. One major one.

Let me guess, the leatherette battery cover?
    09-12-09 04:14 PM
    I'm not sure why it was said that the Onyx isn't a world phone. I thought that it is slated to come to ATT? I also thought that every ATT phone was a world phone, is this not correct? Incidentally, one of the previous posters was spot on by saying that we don't even know if the Essex will ever exist. We know the Onyx exists, we have seen it. But if there isn't even a real pic of the Essex, it can't be too close to being released.

09-13-09 02:33 PM
    If I understand correctly there are some places in east Asia (?) That are CDMA also. So you can't be a world phone without CDMA also.

09-15-09 01:53 AM
    Well... you can't pick in between the two of them because one is CDMA and the other is GSM, but if I had to pick one, it would be the ESSEX 100% no doubt.
    09-15-09 02:00 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD