09-14-15 05:00 PM
285 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Its happening
    https://n4bb.com/android-based-black...ims-digitimes/

Blackberry Forever, android junk never.
    07-09-15 07:30 AM
    You clearly do not remember history that well. When the Bold 9900 launched, PlayBook was already out, and BlackBerry had already announced that the PlayBook would be the beginning of the new platform that they were moving to with the phones. There was no betrayal to BB7 owners. BlackBerry was very clear that is was the end of the line. They also announced BBX/BB10 early in the BB7 life cycle likely costing them a lot of sales as people waited for BB10 devices that were supposed to come out early 2012, then slipped to summer 2012, then end of 2012, and then finally early 2013.

As for your statements in the new devices I agree, the Classic and Leap will be underpowered for a more complex operating environment that a Hypervisor would bring, unless QNX finally did some wizardry in the resource depth art mentioned when it comes to RAM and memory management.

Posted via Z30
    Not really. It was only until late October 2011 that BlackBerry announced that BBX would not run on a single core processor. Perhaps a smart consumer like you could see the writing on the wall but most consumers of the latest 9900 's etc were thinking at the very least there would be a BBOS 8 if not BBX for their devices.

Maybe I am alone in this but having both the 9900 and Playbook, I was more bothered by purchasing the soon to be orphaned 9900 than the Playbook in not getting BB10 .

I get your point though. They are selling BB10 models currently. It would be quite a travesty if these models were not upgradeable .
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-09-15 at 09:53 AM.
    07-09-15 09:42 AM
    Not really. It was only until late October 2011 that BlackBerry announced that BBX would not run on a single core processor.
    Nope. December 2010, before Bold 9900 was available.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/r...nes-when-dual/

Perhaps a smart consumer like you could see the writing on the wall but most consumers of the latest 9900 's etc were thinking at the very least there would be a BBOS 8 if not BBX for their devices.
    Nope. OS8 or BBX for OS7 devices was never seen as something that would happen. Don't know why you think this would be the case. And I don't see why you think "most consumers" would have expected something that was never really rumoured.
    07-09-15 10:06 AM
    Nope. December 2010, before Bold 9900 was available.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/r...nes-when-dual/

Nope. OS8 or BBX for OS7 devices was never seen as something that would happen. Don't know why you think this would be the case. And I don't see why you think "most consumers" would have expected something that was never really rumoured.
    Not saying that I was a smart consumer. I had no clue that the 9900 would be orphaned. I do not imagine that will happen to prospective owners of BB10 devices now. It does not bother me that my Z10 will be eventually orphaned but I would not be buying a Passport or Leap etc. Until the coast was clear.

I guess not just me - http://www.phonedog.com/2012/02/04/r...-blackberry-10
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-09-15 at 10:50 AM.
    07-09-15 10:22 AM
    It does not bother me that my Z10 will be eventually orphaned but I would not be buying a Passport or Leap etc.
    Indeed. If 10.3.3 turns out to be the last OS upgrade, Z10/Q10 etc buyers will be able to look back at nearly 3 years of support. Passport/Leap/Classic owners? Only one year or less and no major upgrades...
    07-09-15 10:32 AM
    Not really. It was only until late October 2011 that BlackBerry announced that BBX would not run on a single core processor. Perhaps a smart consumer like you could see the writing on the wall but most consumers of the latest 9900 's etc were thinking at the very least there would be a BBOS 8 if not BBX for their devices.

Maybe I am alone in this but having both the 9900 and Playbook, I was more bothered by purchasing the soon to be orphaned 9900 than the Playbook in not getting BB10 .

I get your point though. They are selling BB10 models currently. It would be quite a travesty if these models were not upgradeable .
    Posted via CB10
    But the 9900 wasn't soon to be orphaned. BB10 devices launched 18 months after the 9900. They still support BBOS on BES12. Their was simply too big of a gap between BB10 and BBOS to make a device cover both. BBOS couldn't make use of dual core devices and was being stretched to its limits to support 768 MB of RAM, and BB10 couldn't run on less than 1.5GB of RAM, which kept the PlayBook from even getting it. Now had BB10 launched in early 2012, like the original plan was to do, yeah I could see people getting upset, but BB7 enjoys a long life, and probably should have been killed off by BlackBerry earlier.

Posted via Z30
    07-09-15 12:25 PM
    Indeed. If 10.3.3 turns out to be the last OS upgrade, Z10/Q10 etc buyers will be able to look back at nearly 3 years of support. Passport/Leap/Classic owners? Only one year or less and no major upgrades...
    Yeah I think anyone buying a Classic or Leap is going to get burnt. BB10 is a resource hog of an OS, and a hypervisor solution always requires more resources than the "guest OS" that it supports, or you start seeing significant performance hits. Of course if BlackBerry switches to Android, it might give these devices longer life as Android can run on some pretty low end stuff, but then we'll here the complaint of why high resource games don't work in sure.

Posted via Z30
    07-09-15 12:34 PM
    Well, they still represent 10's of millions of users and the mostly likely to buy another BBRY device than the rest. How many Android models have sold 10 million units? If there's a huge groundswell of anticipation suddenly for this form factor, a half-dozen Android OEMs will rush out a copy and probably beat them to market and in pricing.
    10s of million? That includes BBOS and you assume that all BBOS owners will move to BB10. At best it seems like about 10 million BB10 devices have been sold. At least half of them full touch. With no real upgrade path, what makes you think those owners will stick with BB for the next device?
    07-09-15 12:53 PM
    10s of million? That includes BBOS and you assume that all BBOS owners will move to BB10. At best it seems like about 10 million BB10 devices have been sold. At least half of them full touch. With no real upgrade path, what makes you think those owners will stick with BB for the next device?
    Probably the same thing that makes some posters think that millions of people will rush to buy a top-priced, first-attempt Android phone from the much ridiculed and rumored as dead BBRY. Just my gut feeling, no facts involved...
    07-09-15 05:33 PM
    Look at developers bailing in the platform like Nemory. You can be sarcastic to me and ignore the reality right in front of you, but that reality is BlackBerry killing off the BB10 platform as we all know it. It will have to change in some way. And just like BlackBerry killed off BB7 sales, PlayBook sales, and Bb10 sales with poor execution, letting these rumors sit out there festering is going to make the last quarterly's pathetic handset numbers look great.

Posted via Z30
    ok. just saying, the door is right there --------------->.
    07-09-15 08:46 PM
    You clearly do not remember history that well. When the Bold 9900 launched, PlayBook was already out, and BlackBerry had already announced that the PlayBook would be the beginning of the new platform that they were moving to with the phones. There was no betrayal to BB7 owners. BlackBerry was very clear that is was the end of the line. They also announced BBX/BB10 early in the BB7 life cycle likely costing them a lot of sales as people waited for BB10 devices that were supposed to come out early 2012, then slipped to summer 2012, then end of 2012, and then finally early 2013.

As for your statements in the new devices I agree, the Classic and Leap will be underpowered for a more complex operating environment that a Hypervisor would bring, unless QNX finally did some wizardry in the resource depth art mentioned when it comes to RAM and memory management.

Posted via Z30
    First of all QNX Hypervisor is already certified to run on only 1 CPU at current ARM-7 classed and it runs on the CPU stack
    ... meaning BlackBerry Classic and many BB10 and even BBOS devices from 6.1 onward can quite readily run it.

Come one folks please research Google's crawler makes this VERY easy to do since AltaVista and similar dead or dying Web search engines of the last two generation- - yes I used to use those after BBS

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-10-15 12:31 AM
    Look at developers bailing in the platform like Nemory. You can be sarcastic to me and ignore the reality right in front of you, but that reality is BlackBerry killing off the BB10 platform as we all know it. It will have to change in some way. And just like BlackBerry killed off BB7 sales, PlayBook sales, and Bb10 sales with poor execution, letting these rumors sit out there festering is going to make the last quarterly's pathetic handset numbers look great.

Posted via Z30
    What?! Lol there IS no reality cause their is no fact of that OTHER than Nemory, taking the cheap give up way out of a platform ha I g sales issues - NOT because of some u founded no fact leading g that RUMORS (remember that 80's track from??) of Android being the core OS?

Man pal on these boards are getting g so good they can sell tonic water as a full proof hair growth serum to bald men, and there are a LOT of us bald men in the world they'd have better profits!!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 12:33 AM
    Is there an echo in here!?!

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.2708 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-10-15 12:42 AM
    ok. just saying, the door is right there --------------->.
    And you can use the door to the forum if you don't like what I post or the ignore feature. Sorry I'm not a unicorns and rainbow guy staring at the world through BlackBerry colored glasses

Posted via Z30
    07-10-15 08:26 AM
    First of all QNX Hypervisor is already certified to run on only 1 CPU at current ARM-7 classed and it runs on the CPU stack
    ... meaning BlackBerry Classic and many BB10 and even BBOS devices from 6.1 onward can quite readily run it.

Come one folks please research Google's crawler makes this VERY easy to do since AltaVista and similar dead or dying Web search engines of the last two generation- - yes I used to use those after BBS

Posted via CB10
    Is it theoretically possible for BlackBerry to run BB10 or even Android on a 9900 using the hypervisor if the BlackBerry could be rooted? Maybe one way for BlackBerry to convert legacy devices. Crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 08:29 AM
    What?! Lol there IS no reality cause their is no fact of that OTHER than Nemory, taking the cheap give up way out of a platform ha I g sales issues - NOT because of some u founded no fact leading g that RUMORS (remember that 80's track from??) of Android being the core OS?

Man pal on these boards are getting g so good they can sell tonic water as a full proof hair growth serum to bald men, and there are a LOT of us bald men in the world they'd have better profits!!

Posted via CB10
    Trying to read this gave me a headache.
    lnichols and mania626 like this.
    07-10-15 08:34 AM
    And you can use the door to the forum if you don't like what I post or the ignore feature. Sorry I'm not a unicorns and rainbow guy staring at the world through BlackBerry colored glasses

Posted via Z30
    Don't have to apologize to me bud. And nah I'd rather comment than leave or ignore ;-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    07-10-15 08:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes QNX can run on a single core, and the QNX Hypervisor can too. But BB10 cannot, and really Android now cannot either. A hypervisor does not magically eliminate the resources needed for the guest OS that run on the hypervisor. Have you ever used a hypervisor before and run multiple OS's with it? You still have to have the resources needed to run multiple ones at the same time.

Posted via Z30
    Maxxxpower and app_Developer like this.
    07-10-15 08:45 AM
    Yes QNX can run on a single core, and the QNX Hypervisor can too. But BB10 cannot, and really Android now cannot either. A hypervisor does not magically eliminate the resources needed for the guest OS that run on the hypervisor. Have you ever used a hypervisor before and run multiple OS's with it? You still have to have the resources needed to run multiple ones at the same time.

Posted via Z30
    No I have not. Thanks for your answer.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 09:30 AM

Posted via Z30
    you obviously failed to research or comprehend what I've said.

I said QNX HYPERVISOR can run on the ARMv7 cpu and then enable iOS/Android (not Google services kids).
    I NEVER said BB10 can run on the core and have Hypervisor run on top and do all the rest. Please don't put words in my mouth or infer what I meant ... said what I meant.
    07-10-15 06:29 PM
    Trying to read this gave me a headache.
    It's street talking nothing based on proper school or thesis english form writing. Look at the time written. You're making a far bigger deal out of something than needs to be and you're completely missing the point of the bigger picture. But as they say ignorance is blisss.
    07-10-15 06:30 PM
    Is it theoretically possible for BlackBerry to run BB10 or even Android on a 9900 using the hypervisor if the BlackBerry could be rooted? Maybe one way for BlackBerry to convert legacy devices. Crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    Not in this current instance no.

QNX Hypervisor is NOT part of BB10 in anyway shape or form. We can HOPE it gets integrated into BB10 but for now it's completely separate. Just about anything "could" be theoretical if we make it sound workable and well thought out and use imagination. But let's get real for now. I'll leave the pros at BlackBerry to get your crazy idea happening - now THAT would be MOST IMPRESSIVE
    07-10-15 06:32 PM
    It's street talking nothing based on proper school or thesis english form writing. Look at the time written. You're making a far bigger deal out of something than needs to be and you're completely missing the point of the bigger picture. But as they say ignorance is blisss.
    Trying to read that post actually gave me a headache.
    I probably did miss the point... what with the stabbing pain behind my eyes.
    You have recently indicated that you feel misunderstood.... so I hope you will take this constructive criticism in the best possible way and do something positive with it.
    07-10-15 06:48 PM
    Wtf? What language is this?
    07-10-15 07:01 PM
    you obviously failed to research or comprehend what I've said.

I said QNX HYPERVISOR can run on the ARMv7 cpu and then enable iOS/Android (not Google services kids).
    I NEVER said BB10 can run on the core and have Hypervisor run on top and do all the rest. Please don't put words in my mouth or infer what I meant ... said what I meant.
    You stated BBOS devices from 6.1 can readily run the hypervisor. While that may be true, they won't have the resources necessary to run much more than the hypervisor in a device like that. Also the Hypervisor would never run on top of anything, everything would be running on top of it. I know quite well how hypervisors work and build systems using VMWARE ESXi. If they were to run Bb10 and Android on the hypervisors at the same time, they would need a SOC with a lot of cores and they would need a lot of RAM in the device. I doubt any dual core, 2 GB of RAM BB10 device (so all but the Passport) would be able to BB10 and Android at the same time too.

Posted via Z30
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-10-15 08:13 PM
285 ... 7891011 ...