09-14-15 05:00 PM
285 ... 56789 ...
tools
    If BlackBerry is heading towards the Android market. Is it possible Google and BlackBerry agree on terms that includes native Google Apps for BB10 and also provide Google Service? Apparently, there will be no runtime in the next update according to many post on the site.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 02:54 PM
    It has been said by some here that is not permitted. Unfortunately the OHA agreement details are not public and so the only way rules are known or firm gored out is via leaks or when Google sticks it to an OHA member for violating the agreement.

Posted via Z30
    Without getting into the fine detail - from leaks of legal contracts and actual devices - there is one solid rule that has never been broken - devices boot directly into android, always into android and nothing else
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-02-15 02:59 PM
    Interesting to know that Evan Blass who has a really solid track record notes:

early2bed and LazyEvul like this.
    07-02-15 04:22 PM
    https://n4bb.com/android-powered-bla...g-att-evleaks/ another rumor or it's finally happening?
    07-02-15 04:28 PM
    i would say he has somewhere around 85-90% "correct" with his leaks so that is interesting
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-02-15 05:22 PM
    The rest of the story will be interesting as well, once it becomes official. Is this a low end phone only? Will it come with a BB10 version also? So many questions, and as of now, so few real answers.
    georg4BB likes this.
    07-02-15 05:25 PM
    https://n4bb.com/android-powered-bla...g-att-evleaks/ another rumor or it's finally happening?
    I haven't been too impressed with that site for some time. They fling a lot of poo at the walls and some of it sticks. That said, if true bye bye BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't have the tools or the talent to support one OS, much less two. Android apps going from a crutch, to a necessity, to maybe the whole Android OS...... I'll go to a not Android device.

Posted via Z30
    georg4BB likes this.
    07-02-15 05:26 PM
    Link didn't work at first but got it now!
    07-02-15 05:53 PM
    I haven't been too impressed with that site for some time. They fling a lot of poo at the walls and some of it sticks. That said, if true bye bye BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't have the tools or the talent to support one OS, much less two. Android apps going from a crutch, to a necessity, to maybe the whole Android OS...... I'll go to a not Android device.

Posted via Z30
    Say what you will about N4BB, but the source is extremely reputable - evleaks has gotten phone rumours right many a time before. It's still a rumour at the end of the day, but I wouldn't bet against it at this point.
    07-02-15 06:02 PM
    I just wonder if this slider is a Samsung with a BlackBerry design on the Android side BB10 on the BlackBerry side. Providing parts to BlackBerry clearly is not offside the OHA.
    07-02-15 07:22 PM

Posted via Z30
    You and me too.

For the first time in 14 years I sadly now admit that my next device will very likely not be BlackBerry. And it absolutely won't be Android.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    07-02-15 07:40 PM
    To me the only os's that really matter is Ios and BlackBerry 10 in the world. Really just forgot android. This could work but BlackBerry has to be the main part of the os not android. JC is making a big mistake if it goes this way. The whole world knows BlackBerry is the most secure and really the best os out there even apple and Steve Jobs knew that. It still boils down to the same problem BlackBerry has had from the beginning, apps. We all know that there's nothing wrong with BlackBerry's os. It's the app situation. This is what Chen should be working on. Having everyone support BlackBerry as an equal when it comes to apps. It works in the computer field. Imagine if windows ran the world. Apple would be dead right now. All the regulations that are allowed to computers should be allowed to smartphones and their makers, no matter the maker. I'm gonna leave it at that for now. JC's doing a great job but he has to step it up. Change the game. Bring this monopoly apple has to an end.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    pjh248 likes this.
    07-02-15 07:41 PM
    To me the only os's that really matter is Ios and BlackBerry 10 in the world. Really just forgot android. This could work but BlackBerry has to be the main part of the os not android. JC is making a big mistake if it goes this way. The whole world knows BlackBerry is the most secure and really the best os out there even apple and Steve Jobs knew that. It still boils down to the same problem BlackBerry has had from the beginning, apps. We all know that there's nothing wrong with BlackBerry's os. It's the app situation. This is what Chen should be working on. Having everyone support BlackBerry as an equal when it comes to apps. It works in the computer field. Imagine if windows ran the world. Apple would be dead right now. All the regulations that are allowed to computers should be allowed to smartphones and their makers, no matter the maker. I'm gonna leave it at that for now. JC's doing a great job but he has to step it up. Change the game. Bring this monopoly apple has to an end.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    You had me right up until "JC's doing a great job..." which is completely contradicted by what you said first.

Chen is absolutely killing everything that WAS BlackBerry. If it survives it will be only a name... and have nothing to do with all the good your post started with.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    07-02-15 07:58 PM
    Say what you will about N4BB, but the source is extremely reputable - evleaks has gotten phone rumours right many a time before. It's still a rumour at the end of the day, but I wouldn't bet against it at this point.
    Oh I think it is happening, and I'll be going to iOS when it does.

Posted via Z30
    Allanon89 likes this.
    07-02-15 08:24 PM
    This makes the most sense of the rumors. Run Android as the os but use a bb10 skin instead of say touchwiz.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'm not big on Android but from what I hear Android phones are real laggy on touchwiz. Can you imagine an Android phone running a skin like bb10 which would be designed to basically emulate a whole nother os?

Posted via CB10
    marameansdemon likes this.
    07-02-15 08:40 PM

Posted via Z30
    I think this is happening too, and when it does BB may get a temporary boost but IMO it won't help them long term. What would be hilarious is if BB goes this route touting themselves as the secure Android only to have it hacked. Even if they manage to make it as secure as BB10 how much modification to Android and Google services has to be done to make that happen? If it requires major changes then BB will always be at least a version behind what Google is offering, which means BB will be relegated to being a niche player in the Android community.

If BB does go Android the familiar refrain that has been heard around here was wrong, which is BB is for business not consumers. IMO if they go Android they are acknowledging that the business and consumer markets are intertwined and can't be separated, at least when it comes to handsets.
    07-02-15 09:33 PM
    I just wonder if this slider is a Samsung with a BlackBerry design on the Android side BB10 on the BlackBerry side. Providing parts to BlackBerry clearly is not offside the OHA.
    Slider is clearly a product of Samsung and BlackBerry collaboration. It was obvious since day 1.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 03:43 AM
    You aren't going to end-run Google like that - why would Samsung get into some silly games for a tiny number of units?
    07-03-15 04:00 AM
    You aren't going to end-run Google like that - why would Samsung get into some silly games for a tiny number of units?
    Not an end run. Samsung is in the business of making smartphone components. If Samsung made and sold a portrait slider it would sell far better than a BlackBerry. Maybe they might make a reliable keyboard.

You are probably right and the possibility of a reliable and reasonably sized slider from BlackBerry seems to be very remote.

BlackBerry does not need the slider. They need a all touch Z30 version 2 with a BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 08:50 AM
    If they do go to Android I truly hope they don't make the slider an exclusive to just one carrier. Talk about a big risk that would be. I won't switch carriers just for a device.
    07-03-15 10:00 AM
    If they do go to Android I truly hope they don't make the slider an exclusive to just one carrier. Talk about a big risk that would be. I won't switch carriers just for a device.
    Based on how BlackBerry keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again... expect Chen to announce an exclusive carrier deal with a vague timeline... and then completely miss that timeline... and then redesign it to get said exclusive carrier really on board... months late and after the device is then irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    07-03-15 10:04 AM

Posted via Z30
    Yes. We all know how much you love your Apple.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    07-03-15 11:00 AM
    I like the iPhone too but for the tiny font on the browser. Why no adjustable font or text reflow...major fail there.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 11:44 AM
    If BB does go Android the familiar refrain that has been heard around here was wrong, which is BB is for business not consumers. IMO if they go Android they are acknowledging that the business and consumer markets are intertwined and can't be separated, at least when it comes to handsets.
    Exactly. That refrain is indeed utterly wrong. BlackBerry handsets have no future unless they can appeal to some segment of the consumer market.
    LazyEvul and southlander like this.
    07-03-15 12:59 PM
    Based on how BlackBerry keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again... expect Chen to announce an exclusive carrier deal with a vague timeline... and then completely miss that timeline... and then redesign it to get said exclusive carrier really on board... months late and after the device is then irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    How poetic and accurate.
    07-03-15 08:21 PM
285 ... 56789 ...