09-14-15 05:00 PM
285 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Isn't BBOS10 also more stable and lighter than Android to run...???
    markus2107 likes this.
    07-01-15 10:08 AM
    I'm more okay with dual OS than just Android, in fact, I would whole heartedly support it.
    07-01-15 10:17 AM
    I am specifically returning to BB10OS because android lacks hub and swiftkey is glitchy slow garbage... and the calendar integration / Blacberry Travel, like seriously I'll just keep my stupid android phone and tether it when I need Instagram or Snapchat =\
    07-01-15 10:19 AM
    If that is true, sigh!

--- posted from a Z10 I want to get 3 years ago ---
    07-01-15 10:21 AM
    I agree. That and Google marketing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Security is Achilles heel of android. I can see Google spending marketing dollars on it for two reasons

1. Secure android phone would give it an edge over Apple
    2. Blackberry could be viable alternative to Samsung and its dominance in Android phone sales.
    ayngling likes this.
    07-01-15 10:45 AM
    Well so glad we wasted our time with the PlayBook and BB10. All the benefits of BB10 from a security and certification perspective will go away in an Android implementation. I know consumers don't care, but it is sad to see BlackBerry just throw and OS over the wall with no marketing or effort, a for sale 9 months after launch, and just chuck it away because it didn't sell itself.

I'd rather give Apple my money than throw another dime at BlackBerry to reward them for their pathetic efforts, and Google for the OHA garbage and Google Play services that make Android what it is today.

Posted via Z30
    kind of I agree with you but Apple is too big for my taste at this moment. Apple is squashing small players left and right. There is not much left of Apple rebel spirit anymore.
    07-01-15 10:49 AM
    You probably use it but you don't know, bc the apps you use come from BBWorld which is filled with Android ports in BB10 disguise.

Posted via CB10
    No. I make sure they aren't. Also easy to tell from UI and performance alone.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    07-01-15 10:56 AM
    So the slider which is planned in November and we all see is running BlakcBerry OS 10, also John Chen said it will running BB10. So I think it just a test product or maybe android runtime is more Android then before and it all still running under BB10.

I bet it is the last one with android runditme 5.x with google services.
    07-01-15 11:39 AM
    but this does nothing to make it more secure. That part is what i find more interesting.
    They'd have to fork android. I read up on forking a few days ago and Blackberry wouldn't be the first to fork it.
    07-01-15 12:24 PM
    I really hope it's just something like a newer runtime...

Android is such a pain in the ***, since it's just incredibly slow. Especially when it comes to multitasking or handing one thing over to another.
    For example you get an email invitation, the hub hands your right over to your calendar, etc... OS10 feels like one peace, unlike Android!

I can't imagine how one could integrate all the features of OS10 into Android. It seems impossible. And probably works much slower.
    07-01-15 12:28 PM
    But the question is, who would buy the blackberry phone for Android? There are already cheap android phones available in market.
    07-01-15 12:33 PM
    Someone else posted online that a "friend" from Blackberry told them that 10.4 will allow Google play services to run fully on Blackberry 10 OS. That makes more sense to me considering that we can run some of the apps already.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 12:35 PM
    Also I can't imagine people could switch to BB because of these features.

Apple users won't switch because they've already invested in the Apple eco system and think Android is crap.

And Android users (or users in general) don't know OS10, so it won't feel natural to them, and they are not interested in the praised "security" of BB.

The majority of users out there doesn't even know, BB is still producing phones. They are not interested in BB anymore. Even those who once used a bold or curve think BB is dead.

They have do bring out a pkb phone and do really great advertise. Otherwise this new attempt to get back in the ring is already off the table.
    07-01-15 12:41 PM
    Someone else posted online that a "friend" from Blackberry told them that 10.4 will allow Google play services to run fully on Blackberry 10 OS. That makes more sense to me considering that we can run some of the apps already.

Posted via CB10
    That obviously would be FANTASTIC but very very doubtful.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-01-15 12:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dude, i hope so!

If OS10 really get's ditched, then there are 3 Systems that weren't continued (OS 7, Playbook OS, OS 10)... I think there are gonna be a lot of people who wouldn't buy BB since its the master of ditching ^^
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-01-15 12:48 PM
    This. Officially confirming Android rumors too far ahead of launch would be irresponsible, when considering the impact such an announcement would have on sales of current models.
    Irresponsible to stockholders, perhaps, but not for those who buy without being aware they're plunking their cash down on a lame duck. Can BB afford to do the "right thing"? Given the Playbook legacy, the odds are against it, but this may be the final straw for a lot of loyalists. Of course, BB has to consider the relative size of the loyalists vs the potential new market an Android BB would open up. Could be an interesting case study in business ethics....
    Smitty13 likes this.
    07-01-15 01:59 PM
    I get what you tried to do but awareness has to come from above and not horizontal line like in your case. People dont care about features, well they do to an extent, but they care more about to follow the pack and not be much different than those who they consider higher ups or more important then themselves. They want to be inside of a cool loop which is determined by the others not them.

If you have a very competitive environment in some company and all the executives are running Passports while bragging "behind the closed" doors how Passports are helping them do stuff more efficiently while looking cool at the same time, many employees will want to have what they have.
    Show me a company where the "bosses" all use Passports. Not a company with one employee and a boss that makes him use a Passport by the way.

You're talking about how BlackBerry became cool to start with (which likely can't be repeated the same way). The association with power players, and Wall Street types. The game has changed. Technology is driven by average everyday folks now. It is social. You can't make everyone think BlackBerry is "cool" or good, all at once with advertising if the average user does not agree with the premise of the advertising to start with.
    07-01-15 02:06 PM
    Not as familiar with the inner workings of Andriod as many of you are, but here's a question.. People keep mentioning the Android OHA Agreement, which I understand essentially says "All or nothing at all" with regards to using the Android OS, right? Would it make sense for Google to i) establish an exclusive agreement with BB that gives marketing/development money to BB in exchange for access to BB security features and patents, ii) amend the OHA to allow BB (and Google) devs to splice and dice as necessary to achieve security AND a modified BB10/Android UI, iii) use this modified UI to promote a joint BB/Android secured phone with high-end specs and great security that appeals to BOTH consumers and business people and has a clear leg-up on iOS? Or am I way oversimplifying it?

I just got the classic a couple of months ago and it's an incredible device for me coming from iOS - light years ahead in terms of productivity, security and just overall confidence for me as a business-focused user. But'm business-focused, not business-only and I don't carry two phones (nor do I want to or should I have to) and so I've lost out on a lot of the "consumer" features like sending snapchats to my friends and having working emojis. Don't kid yourself, the real reason people aren't buying BB devices is because of the fact that the majority of people would be cut-off from many forms of communication, on what is supposed to be a communication tool! (Note: I know there are work arounds but buying a phone shouldn't require you to subscribe to a forum to learn how to use it. And I have cut back on social media usage and overall time-wasting by 10x since switching, which I think is a really GOOD thing! But alas, not everyone sees it that way...)

Honestly, I'd just as soon go to a BB/Android device if it was secure (no Google, that means you can't read my emails), had high-end specs and functioned like BB10 (hub, physical keyboard and TRACKPAD, etc.). Let's face it, BB's aren't getting consumer applications, which means they're not getting consumer customers, which is KILLING them. Technology has evolved to a place where (unfortunately) the consumer is king, whether we like it or not. Google is the only company with enough resources and skin in the game to help BB get back on top. Quite frankly, I'm shocked BB hasn't tried this sort of partnership with Samsung, LG or HTC yet, although this OHA agreement may be the real reason why. Either way, partnering Google would be a great opportunity in terms of development and marketing resources...

That got a LOT longer than I wanted it too very quickly, sorry for the long read.

tl/dr: Google should throw marketing/dev resources and an exclusive agreement at BlackBerry in order to make a consumer AND business-use phone with consumer apps and BB security, and BB should make it happen. If they don't, there's no other way to compete and BB will continue to sit at 3% market share.
    ayngling likes this.
    07-01-15 03:15 PM
    I really hope it's just something like a newer runtime...

Android is such a pain in the ***, since it's just incredibly slow. Especially when it comes to multitasking or handing one thing over to another.
    For example you get an email invitation, the hub hands your right over to your calendar, etc... OS10 feels like one peace, unlike Android!

I can't imagine how one could integrate all the features of OS10 into Android. It seems impossible. And probably works much slower.
    ^^This. I'm using both an Android and BlackBerry. From the perspective of multitasking and seamless processing, Android is so sloppy and ineffective, that such integration seems to be impossible on Android without borking the whole OS.
    07-01-15 04:32 PM
    Show me a company where the "bosses" all use Passports. Not a company with one employee and a boss that makes him use a Passport by the way.

You're talking about how BlackBerry became cool to start with (which likely can't be repeated the same way). The association with power players, and Wall Street types. The game has changed. Technology is driven by average everyday folks now. It is social. You can't make everyone think BlackBerry is "cool" or good, all at once with advertising if the average user does not agree with the premise of the advertising to start with.
    Of course no bosses use Passport except those in BlackBerry. That was just an example how thing would play out in a closed environment
    07-01-15 04:59 PM
    Not as familiar with the inner workings of Andriod as many of you are, but here's a question.. People keep mentioning the Android OHA Agreement, which I understand essentially says "All or nothing at all" with regards to using the Android OS, right? Would it make sense for Google to i) establish an exclusive agreement with BB that gives marketing/development money to BB in exchange for access to BB security features and patents, ii) amend the OHA to allow BB (and Google) devs to splice and dice as necessary to achieve security AND a modified BB10/Android UI, iii) use this modified UI to promote a joint BB/Android secured phone with high-end specs and great security that appeals to BOTH consumers and business people and has a clear leg-up on iOS? Or am I way oversimplifying it?

I just got the classic a couple of months ago and it's an incredible device for me coming from iOS - light years ahead in terms of productivity, security and just overall confidence for me as a business-focused user. But'm business-focused, not business-only and I don't carry two phones (nor do I want to or should I have to) and so I've lost out on a lot of the "consumer" features like sending snapchats to my friends and having working emojis. Don't kid yourself, the real reason people aren't buying BB devices is because of the fact that the majority of people would be cut-off from many forms of communication, on what is supposed to be a communication tool! (Note: I know there are work arounds but buying a phone shouldn't require you to subscribe to a forum to learn how to use it. And I have cut back on social media usage and overall time-wasting by 10x since switching, which I think is a really GOOD thing! But alas, not everyone sees it that way...)

Honestly, I'd just as soon go to a BB/Android device if it was secure (no Google, that means you can't read my emails), had high-end specs and functioned like BB10 (hub, physical keyboard and TRACKPAD, etc.). Let's face it, BB's aren't getting consumer applications, which means they're not getting consumer customers, which is KILLING them. Technology has evolved to a place where (unfortunately) the consumer is king, whether we like it or not. Google is the only company with enough resources and skin in the game to help BB get back on top. Quite frankly, I'm shocked BB hasn't tried this sort of partnership with Samsung, LG or HTC yet, although this OHA agreement may be the real reason why. Either way, partnering Google would be a great opportunity in terms of development and marketing resources...

That got a LOT longer than I wanted it too very quickly, sorry for the long read.

tl/dr: Google should throw marketing/dev resources and an exclusive agreement at BlackBerry in order to make a consumer AND business-use phone with consumer apps and BB security, and BB should make it happen. If they don't, there's no other way to compete and BB will continue to sit at 3% market share.
    I didn't go thru the whole post. Sorry. After the first paragraph, I couldn't hold it anymore and I'm pretty sure the answer is accurate.
    If half is accurate then expect Google to buy BlackBerry outright.
    That's pocket money for them. Much, much easier for them.

Edit: I also read the tl/dr and confirm the above .

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 05:17 PM
    If half is accurate then expect Google to buy BlackBerry outright.
    That's pocket money for them. Much, much easier for them.
    I was going to respond with exactly the same comment. If this arrangement makes sense to Google, it would make more sense just to buy BB and integrate what they want into Android directly.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-01-15 05:32 PM

So when people talk about security on BB what do they actually mean. Unless you aren't using gmail, yahoo, etc as your email account, your messages are being read by a third party. BB can't secure that. Unless all your communication is via BBM I'm not sure if BB is any more secure.

Moto X 2014 / Passport
    07-01-15 05:46 PM
    BlackBerry needs to disclose their roadmap so that loyal customers can make informed decisions as to whether to stick with BB10 or not. BlackBerry needs to not announce things until they're ready.

Consumers will buy an Android BlackBerry for security. Consumers don't care about security; that is, given a choice between usability or security, usability wins.

A full touch slab will solve all of BlackBerry's problems. BlackBerry's problem is lack of marketing and apps.

BlackBerry will stop making hardware and go software only. BlackBerry will release an Android device with a BlackBerry skin.
    07-01-15 05:58 PM
    So when people talk about security on BB what do they actually mean. Unless you aren't using gmail, yahoo, etc as your email account, your messages are being read by a third party. BB can't secure that. Unless all your communication is via BBM I'm not sure if BB is any more secure.

Moto X 2014 / Passport
    If you are chatting via BBM with someone outside of your BES, then that isn't really secure either, is it? Everything is encrypted using a common shared key which has been shared with at least one law enforcement agency already.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-01-15 05:58 PM
285 ... 34567 ...