09-14-15 06:00 PM
285 12345 ...
tools
    After it was called a failure by the media for not being an instant hit, Tizen has slowly started to grow. I think BB10 has the same possibility. I hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Yes but Tizen has a strong company, and brand behind it. BlackBerry 10 does not. It is a great OS now with a horrible branding, and company with truthiness issues. Chen all but killed off any developer relations that the company had built up before him with his "develop for Android" statements. Very similar to WebOS in how it was a great OS, but Palm waited until it was going down in flames to release it and no one believed they would survive.

Posted via Z30
    06-30-15 09:41 PM
    I know the arguments against BlackBerry saying anything about moving to Android, but the absolute silence from Waterloo on what exactly, or even generally, BlackBerry is up to these days, does make one wonder what's coming.
    sentimentGX4 and Smitty13 like this.
    06-30-15 09:43 PM
    I don't know why people don't think this is the truth. Native development is all but a dead end as by BlackBerry themselves telling developers to target other platforms. Android cannot be secure unless rewritten from the ground up. If BlackBerry thinks that they can sell millions more phones with Android, they are lost. There is nothing that will attract buyers to have a skinned Android. For each update of Android, they will have to reskin it. They will spend more money playing catchup with each release of Android than they would continuing development of BB10. They will not sell anymore phones and will probably sell less.
    06-30-15 09:53 PM
    Yes but Tizen has a strong company, and brand behind it. BlackBerry 10 does not. It is a great OS now with a horrible branding, and company with truthiness issues. Chen all but killed off any developer relations that the company had built up before him with his "develop for Android" statements. Very similar to WebOS in how it was a great OS, but Palm waited until it was going down in flames to release it and no one believed they would survive.

Posted via Z30
    Oh give it a rest, Tizen is all but DEAD in the short term. Do you even hear your own rhetoric lol.

BB10 has much more traction than Tizen in any market, don't be an *****, please.
    06-30-15 09:55 PM
    Oh give it a rest, Tizen is all but DEAD in the short term. Do you even hear your own rhetoric lol.

BB10 has much more traction than Tizen in any market, don't be an *****, please.
    Samsung sold over a million Tizen phones in 6 months in India alone.
    notfanboy and eyesopen1111 like this.
    06-30-15 10:03 PM
    Oh come on... don't confuse ideologues with facts... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and notfanboy like this.
    06-30-15 10:09 PM
    Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 10:14 PM
    06-30-15 10:35 PM
    I like the idea of a bb running Android using a more current runtime. If they decide to use a heavily skinned OS say Lollipop then they run into the problem of getting updates really late. Especially if Google changes direction and pushes out a very different iteration of Android.

I think the ideal situation would be a full BB10 phone with updated Android runtime and google services ala iOS. Iphone users have the best of both worlds ie they get to use their familiar os and also get most if not all of Google services available like Hangouts and Drive.

My two cents.

Moto X 2014 / Passport
    06-30-15 10:38 PM
    I have waited over three years to upgrade my 9810 with a BB10 slider, If I wanted an Android phone I would done so already. If the slider is Android I guess I have two choices keep the 9810 or buy a Passport. I don't need no stinking Apps.
    damn bro. i had the 9810 and while i loved it- it just doesn't cut it. i've gone the touch route but you should get a Passport for sure. this slider, no matter what OS it carries, will still have subpar specs.
    06-30-15 11:34 PM
    Samsung sells a lot of stuff. They sell refrigerators. It's just the name that sells.
    marameansdemon likes this.
    06-30-15 11:36 PM
    No they haven't. Cite the source (and more than one), and I'll apologize.

And the sources can't just be quoting Samsung's claims, lol. That would be no different than BlackBerry claiming to sell X number of phones, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I could care less either way, I just don't believe you, lol.
    06-30-15 11:48 PM
    No they haven't. Cite the source (and more than one), and I'll apologize.

And the sources can't just be quoting Samsung's claims, lol. That would be no different than BlackBerry claiming to sell X number of phones, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I could care less either way, I just don't believe you, lol.
    Seriously, you're going to call me a liar instead of just doing the simplest of Google searches? Save the apology, not worth anything.

NEW DELHI: Samsung Electronics Co has sold 1 million Z1 smartphones that run on its Tizen operating system in less than six months of launch in India and plans to follow up with a Gold variant of the device next month and more models with its own OS at affordable prices this year.
    Samsung sells a million Tizen-fitted Z1s in less than six months, plans Gold version - The Economic Times

Or try one of these:
    https://news.google.com/news/story?n...ed=0CCoQqgIwAA
    07-01-15 12:07 AM
    i dont mind an android bb, i just want to know what will happen to the current phones. will we be able to upgrade to the new android version?
    07-01-15 12:09 AM
    Samsung sells a lot of stuff. They sell refrigerators. It's just the name that sells.
    So a million people bought a Samsung phone without knowing what OS it runs, thought they were buying a Galaxy and bought a Tizan phone without trying it out?

It also contradicts the claims that BB10 can't survive without an ecosystem or GPlay.
    07-01-15 12:30 AM
    So you're saying that it's BlackBerry 10 except it can run Android stuff more less? Okay, I hate to say this and I love BlackBerry dearly but if BlackBerry decides to go that way, I don't want BlackBerry to stay around much longer. If I want Android services, I'll get an Android. Yes it might be the best of both worlds (Android and BlackBerry) but it's not the reason I choose to keep BlackBerry.

All BlackBerry is doing at this point is trying to dig their selves out of the grave hand set wise and even if they adopt Android services, that's not going to help them at all. We have Android apps for the most part so adding Android as the base UI won't be much better.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 12:34 AM
    Seriously, you're going to call me a liar instead of just doing the simplest of Google searches? Save the apology, not worth anything.

Samsung sells a million Tizen-fitted Z1s in less than six months, plans Gold version - The Economic Times

Or try one of these:
    https://news.google.com/news/story?n...ed=0CCoQqgIwAA
    lmao dude you totally got dogged and yet still went for it
    07-01-15 12:42 AM
    It would catch on pretty freaking soon if people just knew about it.

The Hub is awesome... file management is awesome... getting real work done with it is AWESOME... but nobody knows about it.

But Chen doesn't really care. All he knows is software... and that's the only world he cares to explore.
    I've showed my blackberry 10 phones to probably 20 friends and fellow workers over the last couple of years. Z10. Then the Passport. In depth. Talking up the features, efficiency, Android capability.

Not a single one ever went out and bought one. It's a myth on here that it is just some kind of "awareness" issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-01-15 01:05 AM
    i dont mind an android bb, i just want to know what will happen to the current phones. will we be able to upgrade to the new android version?
    Ditto. But sadly the answer is no I'll bet. I'd love to be able to upgrade my Passport.

07-01-15 01:20 AM
    I've showed my blackberry 10 phones to probably 20 friends and fellow workers over the last couple of years. Z10. Then the Passport. In depth. Talking up the features, efficiency, Android capability.

Not a single one ever went out and bought one. It's a myth on here that it is just some kind of "awareness" issue.

i have many friends ive showed my passport/q10 to, they all loved and told me how much they wanted to get one, but they cant afford it outright and no carrier has them here
    07-01-15 01:40 AM
    i have many friends ive showed my passport/q10 to, they all loved and told me how much they wanted to get one, but they cant afford it outright and no carrier has them here
    shows how different the world is. America laughs at BBRY, unfortunately.
    southlander likes this.
    07-01-15 01:56 AM
    Yuck! Blackberry is trying to make Android a secure OS with BB skin? Lets wait coz that would take years for it to actually succeed.
    I'd rather get a native Android phone than getting a Blackberry (Qualcomm built) POS.
    07-01-15 02:31 AM
    But it is clear that Chen has put zero effort into BB10 and/or handset sales since taking the helm.
    Oh, except for the BlackBerry Passport which was released under Chen's leadership And the BlackBerry Leap.

And the development of BlackBerry10.3. And 10.3.1 and 10.3.2.

Yeah - he's done zero.
    07-01-15 02:41 AM
    Can I also add the obvious here?

If BlackBerry do go an Android route, there's no reason they would abandon BlackBerry 10. There's every chance they'll simply offer both.

BlackBerry have invested a lot of time and effort into BB10 - and now with Foxconn making hardware, there's very little cost or risk to continue low volume production of BB10 devices for developing markets and niche high end enterprises.

Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping them from adding another product to their catalogue in the form of a secure Android offering.

So let's stop fearing 'the end of BB10' - it's highly unlikely to happen, no matter what happens with Android.

Most likely Scenario:

Android - Secured by BlackBerry side by side with devices Powered by BlackBerry 10.
    07-01-15 02:47 AM

Thank you for writing the truth! I agree that BlackBerry's problem is not merely about marketing/awareness, even though poor marketing never helps. IMHO, the problem extends first and foremost to releasing over-priced, under-specd smartphones with a worst-in-show ecosystem. So, nobody switches to BlackBerry because the competitors are much more stable as companies and they have better hardware with better ecosystems.

You would have thought that, knowing that they'd have the worst ecosystem, BlackBerry would have at least done their best to match (or even surpass) their competitors on hardware, but they have always fallen short and released phones with critical flaws, low specs, and poor support. They needed the Flagship all-touch to prove that they were at the same level as the others, but sadly they never delivered anything on BB10 with more mass appeal than the Z10!

So while Microsoft tried to make up for its lackluster ecosystem with fancy cameras, and BlackBerry tries to do the same with PKB phones, both approaches seem to be failing, with BlackBerry handsets failing worse. Like most of you, I bought in to the BB10 dream, buying the Z10 and Z30, but I think Chen is telling us all to wake up.
    07-01-15 02:56 AM
285 12345 ...