09-14-15 05:00 PM
285 ... 9101112
tools
    Oh no! I wish it were fake.

From the cutest Q10
    08-02-15 10:52 PM
    It's good to attract general consumer, but, if they're going for android, the specs better be crazy. Because that's what android needs, otherwise it will be a complete mess for blackberry. Since they're going into a direct competition with big player like Samsung.

Personally i prefer bb 10 os, but android with hub is a very welcome addition to the family.

Currently I use bb and samsung, and I think this android bb slider will replace my samsung.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-03-15 02:45 PM
    On the front of your device is the BlackBerry symbol followed by BlackBerry. What if on a BlackBerry Android device they used the Android symbol (Bugdroid) followed by BlackBerry? Maybe dual symbols on the back of the device. They need to distinguish the chendroid devices from your BB10 ones.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:25 PM
    I don't think an android logo would be on the hardware, similar to other OEM's who do not place an android logo on their hardware. It would only be evident on booting the device when the "powered by android" splash screen comes up briefly. The only logo on the hardware would be that of the manufacturer, which would be BlackBerry once on the front and the Bees logo on the back

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-14-15 11:21 AM
    So a slider with a touch capacitive pkb coupled with actions and shortcuts isn't a differentiator? It would still have the same 16x9 candybar resolution, but instead of 3 buttons (Menu, home, back), you get 38 buttons. And you can program each one for quick launches and shortcuts "in app". And use the entire pkb as a trackpad for things like document editing, browsing web pages, etc.

Sounds pretty different from everything else currently being offered hardware wise by other Android manufacturers, lol. Of course to have the full Android experience it would need to be manufactured by an OHA provider (like Samsung) with the BlackBerry IP being licensed, not made by BlackBerry itself. And by not being BB branded, any lag / security failings are on Android, not BlackBerry.
    The Q10 didn't have all the keyed shortcuts when BB10 first launched... it might be a stretch to assume that with the little time they have had to create a BlackBerry UI, that they'll have mapped shortcuts for the SLIDER - IF it runs Android. And sadly none of the early images show a trackpad...

And it doesn't matter who's fault it is... if lag happens, the only one the user will look at it the person that built the phone. As for security... if Chen's "says" he made it secure... then that puts it on BlackBerry.

Personally I don't own or use a Android phone, but I have played with several.... I think much of the UI lag has been fixed with much more powerful hardware of these flagship devices. But you get a middle of the line device... and it does show up. Couple that we what we have seen from cross platform BBM and I'm pretty sure the SLIDER will HAVE TO BE a top of the line device.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    08-14-15 03:06 PM
    The Q10 didn't have all the keyed shortcuts when BB10 first launched... it might be a stretch to assume that with the little time they have had to create a BlackBerry UI, that they'll have mapped shortcuts for the SLIDER - IF it runs Android. And sadly none of the early images show a trackpad...

And it doesn't matter who's fault it is... if lag happens, the only one the user will look at it the person that built the phone. As for security... if Chen's "says" he made it secure... then that puts it on BlackBerry.

Personally I don't own or use a Android phone, but I have played with several.... I think much of the UI lag has been fixed with much more powerful hardware of these flagship devices. But you get a middle of the line device... and it does show up. Couple that we what we have seen from cross platform BBM and I'm pretty sure the SLIDER will HAVE TO BE a top of the line device.
    Thanks, some good points. Yeah, I won't be surprised if everything isn't under the hood by the time the Slider releases (again, if Android). And yes, Google has put a lot of effort into reducing lag issues (Project Butter) but it still creeps it's ugly head from time to time depending on how much is going on in the device (apps, launchers, widgets, etc). I imagine there's going to be some lag with the device.

To be honest I think their best bet would have been to try and work with Samsung on a hybrid that was Samsung branded. Then you'd be assured of top of the line specs. And given that Samsung just released a snap on keyboard I think there were certainly potential synergies...

Anyway, hopefully the Slider will have minimal bloatware - the Hub would be an App presumably in Android? - and they can incorporate the shortucts and actions as deeply as possible (if that's possible, I have no idea). That would be the ideal.
    08-14-15 06:28 PM
    It has been said by some here that is not permitted. Unfortunately the OHA agreement details are not public and so the only way rules are known or firm gored out is via leaks or when Google sticks it to an OHA member for violating the agreement. Eventually the non-Chinese OEM's of Android are going to need an alternative as they won't be able to make money competing against them and make enough money to satisfy investors. Will be interesting to see if people using Android care when this happens or if they will welcome the cheap hardware with their cheap/free apps and ecosystem.

Posted via Z30
    Well if BlackBerry include an android side via the hypervisor and users can load GPS themselves then BlackBerry wouldn't even need to care about what Google think. It's what Samsung did with Tizen

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 12:44 PM
    Thanks, some good points. Yeah, I won't be surprised if everything isn't under the hood by the time the Slider releases (again, if Android). And yes, Google has put a lot of effort into reducing lag issues (Project Butter) but it still creeps it's ugly head from time to time depending on how much is going on in the device (apps, launchers, widgets, etc). I imagine there's going to be some lag with the device.

To be honest I think their best bet would have been to try and work with Samsung on a hybrid that was Samsung branded. Then you'd be assured of top of the line specs. And given that Samsung just released a snap on keyboard I think there were certainly potential synergies...

Anyway, hopefully the Slider will have minimal bloatware - the Hub would be an App presumably in Android? - and they can incorporate the shortucts and actions as deeply as possible (if that's possible, I have no idea). That would be the ideal.
    I know a lot of people have wanted to see more in the Samsung / BlackBerry partnership than was announced.... But I think Samsung's new keyboard should be enough proof to show that there just isn't anything else there.

And sadly any UI is bloatware. You add in additional code for the "hub" and that just adds to it. Then there is the BBM experience on Android.... I think BlackBerry will have no choice but to offer top of the line processors.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-17-15 08:15 AM
    You sure?
    What about all of the government contracts and such?Sure they didn't get those because of their app selection. Blackberry has the most secure phones on the market. This is pretty much known right?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 07:36 PM
    What about all of the government contracts and such?Sure they didn't get those because of their app selection. Blackberry has the most secure phones on the market. This is pretty much known right?

Posted via CB10
    It seems to me that if Enterprise was purchasing BlackBerry phones in great numbers, they would be selling more than 890,000 units world wide last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-19-15 07:57 PM
    It seems to me that if Enterprise was purchasing BlackBerry phones in great numbers, they would be selling more than 890,000 units world wide last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    Well in my opinion this is where there focus should be they have a least a foot in the door. They should take over and dominate enterprise I mean the other two big OS shouldn't even have a chance. Sad that they went and did the hard way purchasing a company and building BB10 from the ground up. To me it is the best OS on the market they put in all that work and got nothing to show for it. Very sad. BB10 is amazing!

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-20-15 04:25 PM
    Well in my opinion this is where there focus should be they have a least a foot in the door. They should take over and dominate enterprise I mean the other two big OS shouldn't even have a chance. Sad that they went and did the hard way purchasing a company and building BB10 from the ground up. To me it is the best OS on the market they put in all that work and got nothing to show for it. Very sad. BB10 is amazing!

Posted via CB10
    If the idea of a stand alone "Enterprise phone" is not a myth.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    08-20-15 07:17 PM
    If the idea of a stand alone "Enterprise phone" is not a myth.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Our bank is still 100% BlackBerry and I think they would have to do a ton of testing before OKing "secure Android ". If ever.

BB10 is not dead yet but depending on BlackBerrys ability to secure Android it may be coming.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-26-15 07:08 PM
    I agree. Our bank is still 100% BlackBerry and I think they would have to do a ton of testing before OKing "secure Android ". If ever.

BB10 is not dead yet but depending on BlackBerrys ability to secure Android it may be coming.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    True, a stand alone "Enterprise phone" is not a myth, but it's getting less and less common. I am not sure the demand for such a phone is big enough for BB hardware division to be profitable.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-27-15 04:55 AM
    You know like HTC that barely made a profit in its handset division. Sony who has to quit the smartphone business with its stellar Android sales. Or even Samsung who watched profits plummet after the iPhone 6 launch. And no Android OEM is making the kind of money Apple is even without the costs of the OS R&D. I'm sure BlackBerry will see similar "success" that all these Android OEM's are seeing with profit. Android will be completely cheap Chinese handsets in a couple years. Disposable devices just like the PC industry has become.

Posted via Z30
    I agree with most of what you say, but the bit at the end -- the day I cannot get a Nexus pure Google device and have to settle for cheap crap to use Android is the day I give up on smartphones. Because there is not a chance in Inferno that I'm going to buy an iPhone. Not going to happen. Never.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-27-15 05:13 AM
    True, a stand alone "Enterprise phone" is not a myth, but it's getting less and less common. I am not sure the demand for such a phone is big enough for BB hardware division to be profitable.
    It probably could support 1 phone - probably the "classic".

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    08-27-15 09:10 AM
    I don't buy things that make me sad.

The DingleBerry makes me sad. :,(
    08-27-15 11:25 AM
    08-27-15 11:42 AM
    John Chen normally responds to false allegations, but now he's quiet??? Does make you wonder........

As for me, if BB10 dies then I will have no choice but to give Windows a shot. I've been a proud blackberry customer/fan for too long to go the Android or IOS route.

Working Wide with my Passport to Perfection
    08-27-15 04:43 PM
    If it's only Android then it "Clearly " ,they are stopping BB10 Dev,(reasone is Poor Marketing) ,
    Then 90% of current BB10 users will change to IPhone or Android,
    B'cause we now BlackBerry will abandone it also(Secure Android) , b'cause it is not "Committed "with anything.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-04-15 08:41 AM
    If it's only Android then it "Clearly " ,they are stopping BB10 Dev,(reasone is Poor Marketing) ,
    Then 90% of current BB10 users will change to IPhone or Android,
    B'cause we now BlackBerry will abandone it also(Secure Android) , b'cause it is not "Committed "with anything.
    That's my view. BlackBerry didn't commit to PlayBook, never really committed to BB10, and therefore won't commit to this Android initiative. It is a gateway device to get out of hardware. I can't keep throwing money at a company that has no commitment to their product lines or that you can count on to provide hardware update to device lines like the Z line. They simply do not care about the end users of the devices, or how their decisions impact those end users.

Posted via Z30
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-04-15 10:55 AM
    That's my view. BlackBerry didn't commit to PlayBook, never really committed to BB10, and therefore won't commit to this Android initiative. It is a gateway device to get out of hardware. I can't keep throwing money at a company that has no commitment to their product lines or that you can count on to provide hardware update to device lines like the Z line. They simply do not care about the end users of the devices, or how their decisions impact those end users.

Posted via Z30
    Beautifully stated. Awesome. +100

Blandroid isn't a new beginning or final hail marry. It is too late for that. They barely had a chance for that with BlackBerry 10 and blew it. This is just the beginning of the end.

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic BlackBerry Z30
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-04-15 06:20 PM
    I don't think you can secure android as secured as bb10. Maybe a little secured than what they are having now. For me, going android is actually a step backward, but what can we say. People want more apps. They don't care how good bb10 is. BlackBerry is just trying to stay in business. As for me, i'm sticking to my bb10. I'm not going to get a BlackBerry with android on it.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-04-15 06:26 PM
    but this does nothing to make it more secure. That part is what i find more interesting.
    I find it terrifying!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 01:01 AM
    I don't think BB10 is secure as everyone thinks in basic form without BES. I believe many people have a false sense of security with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 12:56 PM
285 ... 9101112