02-12-15 09:18 PM
68 123
tools
    For Chen to over look or purposely ignore the all touch higher end phone market is incompetence at its finest.

Medical, tactical, weather, law enforcement, military etc. all depended on solid performance, security and higher performance to run and view data. Imaging is growing by leaps and bounds in all the above areas. The size and sophistication of apps/software always demands higher performance hardware in the formative years.
    Bigger better screens and faster processing allows things to be fine faster and better. Period.

Yes it will reach a plattoe just as the PC has in many ways, but for now reliving the good ol' days with phones like the Classic leaves many out in the cold with no choice but to seek a solution elsewear...

BlackBerry hates America!
    Last edited by trsbbs; 02-06-15 at 12:24 PM.
    02-06-15 11:49 AM
    02-06-15 12:00 PM
    Fully agree!

A bit off Topic but I see you are using a Z30, out of interest what phone will you be getting if Blackberry don't bring out a full touch again? I was thinking a Galaxy Note 4...

Posted via CB10
    I'm not really sure. I really like a lot of the features BlackBerry offers. Hub particularly. Bit after using an all touch I just would be able to go back to a PKB. I just love the bigger screen too much.

Galaxy Note is too big for me. I'm definitely thinking about the Galaxy S6. Or maybe a Windows phone.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    Craig Abernethy likes this.
    02-06-15 08:31 PM
    TRSBBS made some good points. Focusing so much on PKB devices is crazy and will end up hurting BlackBerry like crazy. Give me a he'll ya! for a virtual keyboard passport!

Home button? We don't need no stinking home button!
    02-07-15 11:01 AM
    TRSBBS made some good points. Focusing so much on PKB devices is crazy and will end up hurting BlackBerry like crazy. Give me a he'll ya! for a virtual keyboard passport!

Home button? We don't need no stinking home button!
    It's already hurting them. Just look at the number of articles and media pieces that are saying BlackBerry is out of touch. That's in very big part due to their insistence on forging ahead with all PKB.

crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-07-15 11:44 AM
    I'm not sure if it's well know or not but BlackBerry is definitely going all touch this year.

They have the "Rio" coming out in April / May
    Then have the "Visa / Victoria" which is a full touch with a slide out keyboard or a physical 1 row keyboard.
    Then they have a standard full touch Flagship for December.

Don't give up hope on BlackBerry

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    02-07-15 01:18 PM
    The all touch argument is ridiculous. When they rolled out Z10 and Z30, it did nothing for their marketshare. The vast majority of people you couldn't and never will be able to give a blackberry too. Blackberry is smart to stick to only users that support it. They don't have money to waste chasing all touch. Blackberry already lost that battle. They've accepted that high end all touch consumers have moved on and right now Blackberry is ok with that.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    02-07-15 02:58 PM
    The all touch argument is ridiculous. When they rolled out Z10 and Z30, it did nothing for their marketshare. The vast majority of people you couldn't and never will be able to give a blackberry too. Blackberry is smart to stick to only users that support it. They don't have money to waste chasing all touch. Blackberry already lost that battle. They've accepted that high end all touch consumers have moved on and right now Blackberry is ok with that.

Posted via CB10
    people don't know what a bb phone can do they will need info to buy bb , a lot of people in us don't think bb it's making phones anymore
    02-07-15 03:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 and Z30 were unsuccessful because they really didn't deliver. As you said they competed against true high end devices from other platforms and therefore came up short. Very short. BlackBerry released devices with yesterday's specs at the same price as the competition's products. The choice was obvious and easy to anyone who wasn't a BlackBerry fan.

If BlackBerry come out with a true high end all touch that actually has modern specs and innovative technology in order to sell a device. Reviewers and the media will have positive things to say. There will finally be something worth advertising for BlackBerry. Most importantly they will have a product that appeals to more than just the faithful.

Last edited by crazigee; 02-07-15 at 05:38 PM.
    Doggerz and quikchip like this.
    02-07-15 03:56 PM
    people don't know what a bb phone can do they will need info to buy bb , a lot of people in us don't think bb it's making phones anymore
    Absolutely right!

What BlackBerry is capable of isn't known because it was hidden inside inferior devices. Furthermore, the OS wasn't really ready until 10.2.1.

I think if BlackBerry can release a truly competitive device along with some innovative technology, along with the now ready OS then people will have something to take notice of.

Last edited by crazigee; 02-07-15 at 05:39 PM.
    02-07-15 04:13 PM
    I hope a slider comes out. It would combine the screen ratio that everyone loves and the keyboard that BlackBerry is an expert at.

I love the form factor of the Q10, but a phone with a screen that is more vertical makes more sense for app support.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-07-15 06:00 PM
    In addition to what BlackBerry fans want, I think a high end touch is what it will take for some of the former BlackBerry user's to return to platform. Some of those people are now committed to other platforms but I think that many would consider returning if BlackBerry really had a competitive high end device, that offered the cool and innovative technology that the other manufacturers offer.
    02-07-15 06:10 PM
    Then BlackBerry will of lost a customer... and a whole lot of others!

Really hope you are wrong

Posted via CB10
    Where is the "whole lot of others" you speak of?

I wouldn't be surprised if the best selling full touch BlackBerry was the originial Storm. Since then, when has any full touch BlackBerry device sold well? The 9800 and the 9810 sold in decent numbers. However, the Z10 was a total disaster that nearly finished BlackBerry off, the majority of carriers refused to even offer the Z30 because they knew it wouldn't sell well and the Z3 hasn't exactly set the world on fire. So where are all of these people who want a full touch BlackBerry? If the last three full touch BlackBerry 10 devices didn't sell well, what makes you think the next one will?
    acovey likes this.
    02-07-15 08:00 PM
    The numbers show that as bad as the Z10 sold the Q10 sold even worse. For every customer who would want a Classic there is a potential customer who would want an all touch version. They just need to scatter some Passport fairy dust on the Z30.
    02-07-15 08:44 PM
    The Samsung/BB partnership does make me skeptical of a flagship touch. Enterprise is not really pining for one where the rumored Z20 would fill the niche and BB sure isn't going after consumers now.
    BBRY wasn't going after the consumers. That was then, this is now. John Chen, once again "Clearly Stated" 2015 will be a push toward Mass Distribution, and with that comes growth. It's no longer about the Enterprise, it's also about the consumers.
    The majority of BB10 purchasers were consumers, not Enterprise.
    Carrier relations should strengthen in 2015 along with a hardware roadmap. We will find out soon enough.

Let's not forget, the Z10 is the best selling BB10 smart phone despite the write downs. The contributing factor for low sales of all BB10 devices were as follows:
    1) BES10 not supporting BB7 devices.
    2) Garbage Marketing (Apple had Carriers by the balls too)
    3) The For Sale Sign, that proved to be a huge mistake, and scared people off the BB10 platform, hence the high Z10 return rate and write downs.

Now we have John Chen at the helm. And he's been rectifying the company since he took command.

Posted by Q5
    Last edited by nt300; 02-07-15 at 09:32 PM.
    02-07-15 09:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Neither did the Q5, Q10.

I suspect time are more Z10s and Z30s out there any other BB10 phone.

02-07-15 09:45 PM
    Neither did the Q5, Q10.

I suspect time are more Z10s and Z30s out there any other BB10 phone.

Exactly right!

There's definitely more Z10 than Q10 devices out there. Z30 sales were dismal, hence the difficulty I had finding an Otterbox Defender when I bought my Z30 in October 2014.

02-07-15 09:55 PM
    Exactly right!

There's definitely more Z10 than Q10 devices out there. Z30 sales were dismal, hence the difficulty I had finding an Otterbox Defender when I bought my Z30 in October 2014.

Yeah but BlackBerry basically soft canned the Z30 as its launch happened right at the for sale sign fiasco. They set the launch event in a low in market they developed the Z3 for. It simply wasn't able to compete at the high price point it launched with and the specs it has. Chen also came in shortly after the Z30 launch and clearly mad a decision to not push the device at all and instead focus the company on the Passport and Classic. Why they can't support PKB and VKB development at the same time is beyond me. Z30 never had a chance.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:37 PM
    Yeah but BlackBerry basically soft canned the Z30 as its launch happened right at the for sale sign fiasco. They set the launch event in a low in market they developed the Z3 for. It simply wasn't able to compete at the high price point it launched with and the specs it has. Chen also came in shortly after the Z30 launch and clearly mad a decision to not push the device at all and instead focus the company on the Passport and Classic. Why they can't support PKB and VKB development at the same time is beyond me. Z30 never had a chance.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed!
    02-07-15 10:42 PM
    just waiting for dual SIM Z30...
    02-08-15 12:43 AM
    As much as I have enjoyed the BB10 devices I've used (Z10, Z30 and Q10) if there isn't an all touch device lined up for this year then I will be making a switch. I can't be alone on that sentiment.

The PKB phones may be better for some, but my phone is both personal and business and the real estate of an all touch translates well with what I do. Virtual keyboard on a BlackBerry is quite good and I'd love them to source it to android and monetize it if they choose to only make PKB phones.

Posted via CB10
    Craig Abernethy likes this.
    02-08-15 01:55 AM
    As much as I have enjoyed the BB10 devices I've used (Z10, Z30 and Q10) if there isn't an all touch device lined up for this year then I will be making a switch. I can't be alone on that sentiment.

The PKB phones may be better for some, but my phone is both personal and business and the real estate of an all touch translates well with what I do. Virtual keyboard on a BlackBerry is quite good and I'd love them to source it to android and monetize it if they choose to only make PKB phones.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case, I will be forced to go to a Z30 for another year or so. After using BB10 for some time now, there is no way I can ever go back to Android. I use both S4 and Q5 and the Android's interface is aged. Can't stand it actually. I need 100% full Gestures and BB10 is the ONLY OS that provides this in the best possible manner.

I am sure John Chen is reading up on most of these comments. I can't see him leaving current Z10 and Z30 owners in the dust. I see at least 2 new Full Touch's coming in 2015. And that's not including the Z3 nonsense.
    02-08-15 06:08 AM
    If that's the case, I will be forced to go to a Z30 for another year or so. After using BB10 for some time now, there is no way I can ever go back to Android. I use both S4 and Q5 and the Android's interface is aged. Can't stand it actually. I need 100% full Gestures and BB10 is the ONLY OS that provides this in the best possible manner.

I am sure John Chen is reading up on most of these comments. I can't see him leaving current Z10 and Z30 owners in the dust. I see at least 2 new Full Touch's coming in 2015. And that's not including the Z3 nonsense.
    Jolla Sailfish is also gesture based and it even looks a lot like BB10. That isn't a coincidence of course. BlackBerry switched the original BlackBerry 10 UI from their WebOS clone to their new MeeGo Harmattan clone and Jolla Sailfish is the official continuation of MeeGo.

Sailfish OS even does Android apps, including all of Google's own applications. You can use the actual Google Play store app on Sailfish and it thinks you've got just another Android device. Naturally, Sailfish was running APK files months before BlackBerry 10 was. If it weren't for Sailfish doing it first, people on CrackBerry would more than likely still be converting APK files to BAR files right now.

So if you really want an alternative to BB10, go with Sailfish OS. You'll get all of BlackBerry 10's new features months before BlackBerry has the time to copy them. And as an added bonus, you'll be able to run over 20 apps all at once instead of having the app limits BlackBerry must imposed due to BB10 being such a resource hog.

Jolla has even launched a Sailfish tablet to compliment their phones. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Think BlackBerry will ever give us a BB10 tablet to use with our BB10 phones? I don't, and that's a shame. I had PlayBooks, thankfully BlackBerry gave them to me for free, and I really enjoyed having a tablet to compliment my Bold 9900 back in the day.

I honestly believe that anyone who enjoys using BB10 will also like Sailfish OS if they gave it an honest try with an open mind. It is pretty amazing what a team of around 80 people have accomplished.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-08-15 07:12 AM
    If the Jolla can use the Google Play store you wonder how long it will be before Android adapts to a swipe based OS and or closes down their app store.
    02-08-15 09:14 AM
    If the Jolla can use the Google Play store you wonder how long it will be before Android adapts to a swipe based OS and or closes down their app store.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear in my OP - Sailfish OS can use all of the Gapps, but it doesn't come out of the box with those apps. The end user has to actually install the Gapps. I think that is how Jolla has gotten away with it so far. I'm sure Google would be all over them if you could buy the phone, open the box and then have Google's apps on your Sailfish device right from the get go.
    02-08-15 11:20 AM
68 123