02-12-15 10:18 PM
68 123
tools
    Things certainly got interesting with BlackBerry's partnering with Samsung to fortify their Knox platform and SalesForce et al to secure cloud-base solutions.

It almost leads me to think: could this imply that the era of all-touch BB is dead?

If they stop doing slabs, and instead just focus on securing the Samsung line of slabs (where BB definitely can't compete!), they might make a strong case for corporate clients to adopt BES 10, which is leaps and bounds more profitable for them than some dinky hardware with razor-thin margins and a PLC of maybe 1 year before being entirely irrelevant and obsolete.

Additionally, they've effectively "outsourced" their app store, vis--vis the Amazon store.

So if you think of a leaner and more enterprise-focused BB, you can't see hardware (ESPECIALLY all-touch devices) as part of the roadmap.

I'd even think that if the key BB differentiator for corporate handsets is the keyboard, even a slider would be a better product idea than a slab. I know we say that's a dead idea, but heck, the Classic shows that BlackBerry is king of the throw-back. :P

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 12:45 PM
    Well it can be the case like that, but everything will be shown on Roadmap at MWC 2015 on March. Anything can happen, yet BlackBerry Rio is a full slab. Just not a high end one.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 11:51 PM
    I'll patiently wait for the next flagship full touch. And if they don't release one, I'll stick with my Z30, and when that falls apart I'll buy another Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 03:59 PM
    Not me. If I don't see a high end device besides the down grade z3, I'm gone sorry BlackBerry. Had a BlackBerry for a long time and now this is the direction, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:16 PM
    Bye-bye
    VolvoBear_ry likes this.
    02-02-15 08:23 PM
    The Samsung/BB partnership does make me skeptical of a flagship touch. Enterprise is not really pining for one where the rumored Z20 would fill the niche and BB sure isn't going after consumers now.
    02-02-15 08:49 PM
    I've carried a BlackBerry for over 7 years now and have enjoyed the physical keyboards and sturdy build quality. I still use my Q10 but at this point in my life I'm needing a device with a 16:9 aspect ratio. If BlackBerry can give me high-hardware with that aspect ratio (ideally with a physical keyboard) then I will likely stay. Otherwise it looks like i'll have to switch to Android or Windows (most likely Android).

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:55 PM
    The Z30 is an awesome device and I can see it lasting a while. I really wish they would have advertised it more. They still could, really, and I'm sure it would sell better if people knew that it even existed, let alone how great of a device it actually is.

Now onto the Passport: this is a whole other species of smartphone. It's not just a step back to a physical keyboard. This thing really is a hybrid and takes the best parts of the virtual keyboard and combines it with awesome hardware. Now that they've labeled what their 'Classic' device looks like, I can really see the Passport leading the way into the next generation of devices. They have an awesome concept with this and nothing but potential to explore (not to mention patents and have nailed the 'niche'). I'd expect more hybrid devices like this to follow.

With the all-touch design, the only area to improve is in specs rather than innovation. IMO, all-touch devices become dated faster because of that and manufacturers end up competing even with themselves ("Why buy the Note 3 when the Note 4 is about to be released?") I think BlackBerry is better off staying out of this race as much as possible which is what they seem to be doing. I don't see a point to releasing another all-touch device until the ones they have are unable to run the current software. The exception perhaps being an all-touch phablet.

Those are my thoughts anyway... What any of that has to do with the Samsung partnership is beyond me. I don't think that the Samsung partnership will affect devices at all. Does anyone actual know the details of what that deal actually are or is everything completely hush-hush?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    phuoc, Mecca EL and VolvoBear_ry like this.
    02-02-15 09:24 PM
    T.graham, you will be saying a lot more bye byes including yourself if they lose higher end touch devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 09:47 PM
    "If we ship 10 million phones in a year, we'll be profitable on phones (hardware). That's the model we're going after.". -John Chen

There is no way that BlackBerry can make their goals on the basis of the Passport and Classic. The Z30 would have to be considerably cheaper to sell in the marketplace. Hopefully the next all touch device can both be cheaper and better.
    02-02-15 10:02 PM
    Put a fourth row and a track pad on a new passport and you have the best device ever made! Amen...

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    RyanGermann and Mecca EL like this.
    02-02-15 10:10 PM
    "If we ship 10 million phones in a year, we'll be profitable on phones (hardware). That's the model we're going after.". -John Chen

There is no way that BlackBerry can make their goals on the basis of the Passport and Classic. The Z30 would have to be considerably cheaper to sell in the marketplace. Hopefully the next all touch device can both be cheaper and better.
    10 million was really an arbitrary number... he needs a point where profits exceed costs. Profits on a Passport could make up the same profits on selling four or five Z3.... Selling older BB10 device with heavy discounts, and thus less profit could increase that number to much higher.

What he really needs is growth, or at the least a level point where he knows what next month brings. This fewer and fewer devices every year makes cutting cost a moving target that is getting harder and harder to hit.
    02-03-15 04:43 PM
    Then BlackBerry will of lost a customer... and a whole lot of others!

Really hope you are wrong

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 06:49 PM
    10 million was really an arbitrary number... he needs a point where profits exceed costs. Profits on a Passport could make up the same profits on selling four or five Z3.... Selling older BB10 device with heavy discounts, and thus less profit could increase that number to much higher.

What he really needs is growth, or at the least a level point where he knows what next month brings. This fewer and fewer devices every year makes cutting cost a moving target that is getting harder and harder to hit.
    The deal with Foxconn shifts a lot of the risk and potential rewards to the manufacturer. There are a multitude of operating costs in running your own OS and in designing hardware. It all goes into the break even analysis of having your own hardware division. We have to assume that Mr. Chen is doing the math.
    02-03-15 09:51 PM
    They need a all new touch screen phone not to big like the z30 with better specs

Blackberry z30
    DJM626 likes this.
    02-03-15 11:28 PM
    They need a all new touch screen phone not to big like the z30 with better specs

Blackberry z30
    4.7" is the basement now for all touch.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 09:15 AM
    All touch device shouldn't be more than 5". I will lobe to see device between 4.5" to 4.7". A BlackBerry phablet will certainly a surprise

Posted via  Z10 aTrueBbLover 
    02-04-15 09:19 AM
    I definitely think that there won't be any future high end all touch BlackBerry devices.

Let's look at the evidence objectively. There hasn't been any leaked info from BlackBerry or any other sources about any upcoming touch devices. Some here would say that this is only because BlackBerry is tight lipped and doesn't want to announce future devices way in advance.

That is obviously not the case. Look at the way BlackBerry has been with new PKB devices. They officially announced the Passport and Classic way in advance of their launch. There were leaks and rumors long before that. Chen himself even announced Passport II and Classic II the day after Passport was launched. So he actually announced an updated Classic before the first Classic had been released.

Looking at the way BlackBerry and Chen has been regarding the release of PKB devices it is clear that some info regarding an all touch device would have made it onto CB by now. There's been nothing even mentioned.

I'm not holding my breath for a new high end touch. My contract is up in June. I'm already looking at what options I might be forced to consider on other platforms.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-05-15 10:25 PM
    I definitely think that there won't be any future high end all touch BlackBerry devices.

Let's look at the evidence objectively. There hasn't been any leaked info from BlackBerry or any other sources about any upcoming touch devices. Some here would say that this is only because BlackBerry is tight lipped and doesn't want to announce future devices way in advance.

That is obviously not the case. Look at the way BlackBerry has been with new PKB devices. They officially announced the Passport and Classic way in advance of their launch. There were leaks and rumors long before that. Chen himself even announced Passport II and Classic II the day after Passport was launched. So he actually announced an updated Classic before the first Classic had been released.

Looking at the way BlackBerry and Chen has been regarding the release of PKB devices it is clear that some info regarding an all touch device would have made it onto CB by now. There's been nothing even mentioned.

I'm not holding my breath for a new high end touch. My contract is up in June. I'm already looking at what options I might be forced to consider on other platforms.

Unfortunately I think you are right, but I just can't understand the reasoning behind it, yes BlackBerry are focusing on Enterprise but are they really that out of touch to think that the enterprise market only wants PKB devices.

I mean seriously how much of the Enterprise smartphone market uses PKB, at a guess I'd say 20-40% (if anyone has any figures showing otherwise feel free too correct me). So BlackBerry are just ignoring the other 60-80% of the market? At the same time as losing a lot of Z10 and Z30 users who have nothing to upgrade too, extremely bad business.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:01 AM
    Unfortunately I think you are right, but I just can't understand the reasoning behind it, yes BlackBerry are focusing on Enterprise but are they really that out of touch to think that the enterprise market only wants PKB devices.

I mean seriously how much of the Enterprise smartphone market uses PKB, at a guess I'd say 20-40% (if anyone has any figures showing otherwise feel free too correct me). So BlackBerry are just ignoring the other 60-80% of the market? At the same time as losing a lot of Z10 and Z30 users who have nothing to upgrade too, extremely bad business.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately that's why the mainstream media and most average people think that BlackBerry is out of touch. Specifically because they stubbornly insist on forging ahead with PKB when history clearly shows that isn't what most people want, including enterprise users.

02-06-15 06:40 AM
    Unfortunately that's why the mainstream media and most average people think that BlackBerry is out of touch. Specifically because they stubbornly insist on forging ahead with PKB when history clearly shows that isn't what most people want, including enterprise users.

Fully agree!

A bit off Topic but I see you are using a Z30, out of interest what phone will you be getting if Blackberry don't bring out a full touch again? I was thinking a Galaxy Note 4...

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:33 AM
    Did I miss something? Is the Manitoba or Rio lower cost device cancelled?
    02-06-15 11:21 AM
    Did I miss something? Is the Manitoba or Rio lower cost device cancelled?
    It isn't an upgrade to Z10 or Z30 users. It is basically a Z10 equivalent with larger screen. That won't keep existing Z10/Z30 customers on the platform.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 11:56 AM
    It isn't an upgrade to Z10 or Z30 users. It is basically a Z10 equivalent with larger screen. That won't keep existing Z10/Z30 customers on the platform.
    I'd much rather see Passport specs in a Z10 form factor.
    02-06-15 12:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB isn't out of touch, they just know that the market for a high end BB touch for enterprise is tiny. Enterprise doesn't need specs, have you looked at your work desktop lately? For enterprise customers who want a BB touch what does a Z30 upgrade do that the rumored Z20 doesn't?
    02-06-15 12:19 PM
68 123