08-04-10 03:47 PM
259 ... 7891011
tools
    Not to mention, rumored S3 specs sound good for Q4 2010, but are light for Q2 2011. Heck they are a little light for Q4 2010, but considering wher RIM is coming from its not so bad. If there is "Odin Refresh" in there as well than it just seems pathetic to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 05:17 PM
    This is killing me. I was so happy with the S3 rumors the last few weeks. Now if there is any truth to this then I am probably done with RIM. Just have to convince my admins to allow android on our system.

I'll have to second that!! I'm freaking done, what a shame too!!

When I saw that on Twitter today, I didn't wanna believe it. Unfortunately, I'm may be heading to Verizon fairly soon to pick up the Droid X like I said I would if this happened. Now if Android could just hook up an IM app like BBM I'll be very happy. It will be sad losing all my BBM contacts but RIM just won't ever learn it seems.
    07-19-10 05:31 PM
    Odin Refresh is not the Storm 3 like was previously mentioned. But with this I take it that the current Storm 2 will not be able to run OS6

07-19-10 05:32 PM
    Here's a theory...

The "Odin Refresh" from endgadget is the S2a and will drop sometime this year. The S3 will be the one Sal rumored and will be announced in January at CTIA along with the rest of the LTE devices VZW has. It will then launch some time in March/April and reset the Storm delivery dates to March April time frames so that hit closer to WES and before Apples drops their iPhone updates in June.

I don't like it, but it would fit the rumors somewhat.

(we need Sal or CX to step in a deny or confirm some of this)
    I would really love if CX or Sal could confirm this statement, please, please, please guys.....
    07-19-10 05:34 PM
    So is this Odin refresh just a normal Storm2, but running OS6?
    And the S3 will be the totally new device with its own OS?

Why are people so upset? Why not just skip this Odin Refresh thing and wait for the real S3? In all honesty, I'm pretty satisfied with my S2 at the moment... its really quick and works fine... sure there are some bugs, but you can expect that with almost any device.
    07-19-10 05:37 PM
    So what we taught was the S3, with specifications that would equal what DROID's have had in hardware for 8 months, is still a year away...
    07-19-10 05:42 PM
    So what we taught was the S3, with specifications that would equal what DROID's have had in hardware for 8 months, is still a year away...
    I thought it was March '11 ...

Plus... honestly though, why not just wait for that? OS6 doesn't seem like all that...

though yah, it seems that RIM has kinda dropped the ball here. The Storm2 should have been at least comparable to the Iphone 3Gs or the original motorola droid.. and its just not.

I"m happy to wait, since I'm still in a contract, and the Storm2 has been pretty good for me, and again, OS6 doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade and I have an Ipod Touch...
    07-19-10 05:46 PM
    the storm 2 could just be staying around for the people that like the clicky screen makes sense a lot of people like the clicky screen and the storm3 idont think will be a storm at all it will be a whole new line with all the bad publiicty the storm got it would make good business sense to call it somthing new and really market it big
    07-19-10 05:57 PM
    Perhaps the rumors we've been hearing on better specs/ new OS are for the Storm 4?

Not sure, but for RIM's sake I'd be hoping for more (heh...perhaps this is why the Storm 4 was leaked as coming in Q2 2010...the 3 could just be a refresh and non-LTE phone, and while LTE roll-out on VZ comes in November perhaps there won't be actual phones till after the holidays???).
    Would make sense to make the LTE Storm the Strom4G - sounds better.

And while LTE roll-out begins in a few markets in November... most of us may not see LTE for over a year or more.

But the better specs that we heard were for the S3, if they are for a device that may not be release until 2nd quarter of next year.... where will Android devices be by then.
    07-19-10 06:08 PM
    RIM is blowing it.
    I want to buy a new BB. But with no "real" Storm update for what looks like 8 months. I think I'm jumping ship to a Droid X.
    Time to do my research on Android OS..... Sheesh.
    07-19-10 07:25 PM
    I am glad this got leaked because everyone is breaking out and rim will find that out soon and because of it we might get a leak of something really nice just to calm everyone down watch you'll see
    07-19-10 07:28 PM
    someone posted in another threwad that they work for rim and said the specs are real but the picyure isnt. i can beleive that just incase a leak happens like this one we still wouldnt know what the phone looks like. i think his nane was tech head
    07-19-10 07:44 PM
    correction the name was iberry lifestyle
    07-19-10 07:48 PM
    So from what i'm getting, the LTE Storm will be the S4 and the S3 will be a rereshed S2...

I'm REALLY hoping that they both get launched at nearly the same time with the S3 being a quieter launch as a lower-cost touchscreen phone (think Curve) and problably the S4 being rebadged to show it to be higher end (think Bold), or the fallout will not be pretty.
    07-20-10 01:44 AM
    So from what i'm getting, the LTE Storm will be the S4 and the S3 will be a rereshed S2...

I'm REALLY hoping that they both get launched at nearly the same time with the S3 being a quieter launch as a lower-cost touchscreen phone (think Curve) and problably the S4 being rebadged to show it to be higher end (think Bold), or the fallout will not be pretty.
    Even still. Why split your market across 2 devices. You won't be able to sell S4 for more than $199, so why undercut yourself with S3 on the shelf next to it selling for less.

Unless S3 will be sprint, or a t Mobile device or something...
    07-20-10 05:50 AM
    Would make sense to make the LTE Storm the Strom4G - sounds better.

And while LTE roll-out begins in a few markets in November... most of us may not see LTE for over a year or more.

But the better specs that we heard were for the S3, if they are for a device that may not be release until 2nd quarter of next year.... where will Android devices be by then.
    I think you're on to something there....
    07-20-10 07:32 AM
    Even still. Why split your market across 2 devices. You won't be able to sell S4 for more than $199, so why undercut yourself with S3 on the shelf next to it selling for less.

Unless S3 will be sprint, or a t Mobile device or something...
    My guess is that the S3 (S2a) will only be on the market for 5 months (Nov-Mar) to hold over those people that like the S2 but want it to run OS6. Then it will stop being sold and the S4 will roll out.

OR, maybe VZW is planning on a special data plan for 4G, so they offer both phones. The customer then decides if they want to pay extra for 4G and an S4 or continue to pay what they are now and keep the 3G service with the S3. Its a good way for Big Red to keep the 4G data usage lower for longer until they know exactly what kind of numbers to expect and until they can roll out more towers to areas of need.
    07-20-10 07:38 AM
    My guess is that the S3 (S2a) will only be on the market for 5 months (Nov-Mar) to hold over those people that like the S2 but want it to run OS6. Then it will stop being sold and the S4 will roll out.

OR, maybe VZW is planning on a special data plan for 4G, so they offer both phones. The customer then decides if they want to pay extra for 4G and an S4 or continue to pay what they are now and keep the 3G service with the S3. Its a good way for Big Red to keep the 4G data usage lower for longer until they know exactly what kind of numbers to expect and until they can roll out more towers to areas of need.
    That makes sense. This S2 refresh and the S3(totally new device) could roll out at around the same time. One would be released as an upgraded S2 with OS6 and the other as a totally new 4G touchscreen Blackberry.

I really really hope this is the case... since according to Sal, they have been testing this 'totally new S3/S4' device (the one with 1GB of RAM and the cool brand new OS, etc) for at least a month or MORE now... so why would it wait to drop until MARCH.. after looking at all the rumors, it kinda seems more obvious now that these will launch together, or close as two totally separate devices ... one as an upgrade to the S2 the other as a new BB touchscreen with LTE capabilities.
    07-20-10 04:14 PM
    Competing directly with yourself does not seem obvious or even at all sensible compared with them shipping this s2+ before xmas and then pushing out the s3 when vzw is more eager to push lte handsets since it is mostly modems they are looking at to start with.
    07-20-10 07:37 PM
    Competing directly with yourself does not seem obvious or even at all sensible compared with them shipping this s2+ before xmas and then pushing out the s3 when vzw is more eager to push lte handsets since it is mostly modems they are looking at to start with.
    I think it does make sense if 3G data plans are cheaper than 4G plans. It would be aimed towards people who like their facebook and email to their phones, but they'll rarely (if ever) upload videos to youtube or facebook, or any of the other streaming media sites. They'll rarely use the internet at all, so why would they get an S3 on 4G data plans? Instead, they can get a S2a on a 3G data plan and pay less.

I think one, then the other is more likely, but both at the same time would kinda make sense. And it helps VZW give the impression that they really do care about us.
    Last edited by drjay868; 07-21-10 at 11:00 AM.
    07-21-10 10:58 AM
    Also, 4g is overhyped. It will be years before the footprint is the same as 3g. 4g is even worse on batteries than 3g so if u are a business user or rely on your phone it won't last as long, sure its faster, but at the cost of battery life. Ill be fine with 3g until they get 4g fully built out and work on the battery usage.

07-21-10 11:01 AM
    Also, 4g is overhyped. It will be years before the footprint is the same as 3g. 4g is even worse on batteries than 3g so if u are a business user or rely on your phone it won't last as long, sure its faster, but at the cost of battery life. Ill be fine with 3g until they get 4g fully built out and work on the battery usage.

I thought 4G was BETTER on batteries than 3G... also the chips that have to be used for 4G are more efficient and better for batties than those currently being used. Did I get something mixed up here?
    07-21-10 11:03 AM
    Not from what I've seen.......I've seen 25% worse usage...but that's sprint so we'll have to see how LTE is. I've heard similar. The footprint is the main thing for me. I'm not paying extra until its in more than 30 markets.....and nowheresville washington doesn't count,,,

07-21-10 11:06 AM
    Not from what I've seen.......I've seen 25% worse usage...but that's sprint so we'll have to see how LTE is. I've heard similar. The footprint is the main thing for me. I'm not paying extra until its in more than 30 markets.....and nowheresville washington doesn't count,,,

Sprint uses WiMAX, Verizon is using LTE.
    07-21-10 11:19 AM
    I know......do u know the difference in battery life?

07-21-10 11:20 AM
259 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD