08-04-10 02:47 PM
259 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Kind of off topic and probably completely wrong but shouldn't all LTE devices be able to run on any given network? Also, considering that Verizon has released high-specd devices such as the Droid Incredible and now the Droid X and is going to release the Droid 2 very soon, it seems that they are not really caring too much about what devices are released when. If the LTE network is not going to be available until the beginning of next year, why would they commit so many individuals to a two year contract knowing that when the latest and greatest devices running on LTE come out (the ones everybody are going to want to have) a vast majority won't be near their new every 2?
    LTE launches in Nov 2010. LTE devices would only be compatible with other LTE networks or the VZW CDMA network. ATT is at least a year behind VZW in LTE. So it will be some time before you can transport devices across networks because of LTE.

Also VZW is goong sell the devices they have. Why wait for LTE? There will be a new crop of people ready for NE 2 and you'll have the holiday crowd. No sense holding people off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 03:08 PM
    It is also a good way to manage data demands on their backbone. If they incentivized EVERYONE to wait for LTE, then they would be even more flooded with new users than they will be.

Scott
    07-17-10 05:51 PM
    WHen is this device supposed to be released? I cant see it happening for awhile now. I think RIM is putting all its efforts into os6 for the time being
    07-18-10 01:21 PM
    WHen is this device supposed to be released? I cant see it happening for awhile now. I think RIM is putting all its efforts into os6 for the time being
    I'd say Nov or Dec this year in keeping with other storm launches and the VZW LTE launch in Nov.

07-18-10 01:23 PM
    Nov of Dec sounds about right to me. Possibly December is more likely this time around if only because there could be issues with VZ's roll out of LTE to phones (but them maybe it'll go out without a hitch).
    07-18-10 03:59 PM
    I would agree with you except that there appears to be multiple issues going on, any of which could hamper a reasonably close release date. First, there is a new device itself, rumored to be drastically improved. Second, there is the (again) rumored NEW OS, not 6.0, but one designed specifically for a touchscreen device and, third, there's the LTE thing. So, all we can do at the moment is guess. Maybe we should start a betting pool? LOL.

Nov of Dec sounds about right to me. Possibly December is more likely this time around if only because there could be issues with VZ's roll out of LTE to phones (but them maybe it'll go out without a hitch).
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 07-18-10 at 04:25 PM.
    07-18-10 04:05 PM
    According to a leak on Engadget, the Storm 3 is "possible" for this year. Which probably pretty much confirms all of the moving targets that are involved like EnergyPlus (and others) have said.

I'm sure the intent is to get a yearly refresh, but when there are lots of things being developed...and not all of them are even under your direct control, then it can be problematic. And of course if they can get it to ship by about the first week or so of December, then it may be more prudent to wait and ship it during the after-holidays time span rather than in the 10 days before xmas.
    07-19-10 01:49 AM
    Kind of off topic and probably completely wrong but shouldn't all LTE devices be able to run on any given network? Also, considering that Verizon has released high-specd devices such as the Droid Incredible and now the Droid X and is going to release the Droid 2 very soon, it seems that they are not really caring too much about what devices are released when. If the LTE network is not going to be available until the beginning of next year, why would they commit so many individuals to a two year contract knowing that when the latest and greatest devices running on LTE come out (the ones everybody are going to want to have) a vast majority won't be near their new every 2?
    I think the average person buying a cellphone doesn't even know what LTE is, let alone when its getting launched. Why not sell someone a cellphone now, using their NE2 discount, and when LTE is launched and that same customer wants to be on LTE with the newest, coolest phone, sell them another (probably) more expensive phone in 3 months that VZW doesn't have to subsidize the cost of that phone with a discount. And if VZW does, then they lock the customer up for a few more months on a new contract.
    07-19-10 09:18 AM
    VZW has 4G SIM Cards:

Verizon's 4G LTE SIM in the wild -- Engadget

It's coming...
    07-19-10 10:01 AM
    According to a leak on Engadget, the Storm 3 is "possible" for this year. Which probably pretty much confirms all of the moving targets that are involved like EnergyPlus (and others) have said.

I'm sure the intent is to get a yearly refresh, but when there are lots of things being developed...and not all of them are even under your direct control, then it can be problematic. And of course if they can get it to ship by about the first week or so of December, then it may be more prudent to wait and ship it during the after-holidays time span rather than in the 10 days before xmas.
    OH no I missed the word "possible" when i read the Link earlier. Hope we get more details than that, which will make our waiting bit more bearable.
    07-19-10 10:06 AM
    VZW has 4G SIM Cards:

Verizon's 4G LTE SIM in the wild -- Engadget

It's coming...
    Are you telling me that I can slap that SIM card in my S1 (or any other phone) and get 4G?
    07-19-10 10:22 AM
    Are you telling me that I can slap that SIM card in my S1 (or any other phone) and get 4G?
    No. Just that they will be adopting with LTE, SIM cards. So they have been receiving the SIM cards that would allow development boxes to access their LTE connections.
    07-19-10 11:23 AM
    There is apparently a whole other group working simultaneously on Concierge. What I understand to be RIM's answer to HTC's Sense UI.

But I could be completely off here. Maybe CX can come in here and straighten me out.
    07-19-10 11:58 AM
    There is apparently a whole other group working simultaneously on Concierge. What I understand to be RIM's answer to HTC's Sense UI.

But I could be completely off here. Maybe CX can come in here and straighten me out.
    Wasn't this something that was demo'd at Dev Con last year. Someone grabbed a screen shot and posted it as possibly the OS 6 UI? Now that is the screen shot that Kevin and team used for the new OS6 forum as kind of a joke...
    07-19-10 12:09 PM
    Wasn't this something that was demo'd at Dev Con last year. Someone grabbed a screen shot and posted it as possibly the OS 6 UI? Now that is the screen shot that Kevin and team used for the new OS6 forum as kind of a joke...
    That was my understanding until about an hour ago. Wondering where the joke now begins and ends.
    07-19-10 12:15 PM
    That was my understanding until about an hour ago. Wondering where the joke now begins and ends.
    What made you think otherwise?
    07-19-10 12:17 PM
    Edited - Just heard something odd. More asking about this than telling. Would love to get some hard info.
    07-19-10 12:29 PM
    BlackBerry Storm 3 detailed in training slide: same look, more RAM? -- Engadget
    I Just got this off endgaget. I was hoping RIM will have a major improvement in Storm3.
    Other possibility is that they may have used Storm2 picture in their training slides. . or using Storm 2 shell for testing
    07-19-10 01:21 PM
    Hmm. No overlay. No widgets. No other OS. No groundbreaking memory re-allocation. 512 megs for OS and applications. Sounds like not much new here. Except for those S1 corporate users desperate and ready for an upgrade.
    07-19-10 01:42 PM
    Perhaps the rumors we've been hearing on better specs/ new OS are for the Storm 4?

Not sure, but for RIM's sake I'd be hoping for more (heh...perhaps this is why the Storm 4 was leaked as coming in Q2 2010...the 3 could just be a refresh and non-LTE phone, and while LTE roll-out on VZ comes in November perhaps there won't be actual phones till after the holidays???).
    07-19-10 02:18 PM
    I Just got this off endgaget. I was hoping RIM will have a major improvement in Storm3.
    Other possibility is that they may have used Storm2 picture in their training slides. . or using Storm 2 shell for testing
    that isn't the storm3. it's the storm 2 refresh, just like the 9700a
    07-19-10 02:23 PM
    Nobody knows for sure, THAT's for sure, but this post seems to be in conflict with another one stating that the S3 will have it's OWN OS, not 6.0. Oh well, just more to speculate on!

07-19-10 02:55 PM
    Here's a theory...

The "Odin Refresh" from endgadget is the S2a and will drop sometime this year. The S3 will be the one Sal rumored and will be announced in January at CTIA along with the rest of the LTE devices VZW has. It will then launch some time in March/April and reset the Storm delivery dates to March April time frames so that hit closer to WES and before Apples drops their iPhone updates in June.

I don't like it, but it would fit the rumors somewhat.

(we need Sal or CX to step in a deny or confirm some of this)
    07-19-10 02:59 PM
    That would actually also sit well with the rumors from earlier in the year that claimed that the "S3" was going to hit in Q4 2010 and the "S4" was going to hit in Q2 2011...everyone doubted it at the time, but if the person leaking (or at least reporting it) assumed the refresh was the S3 and that the S3 would therefore be the S4...it all lines up nicely. That further lines up with reports that LTE phones will lag a bit behind the initial roll out of LTE in November, which will apparently be mostly targeted at data cards to start with (can anyone say "sexy new VZ tablets for the holidays"???).

Ok, this all makes sense, and explains the ongoing confusion about what the "S3" is. Even the marketing date makes sense for the S3, as well as why it would be the new "iPhone killer".
    07-19-10 04:06 PM
    This is killing me. I was so happy with the S3 rumors the last few weeks. Now if there is any truth to this then I am probably done with RIM. Just have to convince my admins to allow android on our system.

07-19-10 04:12 PM
259 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD