08-04-10 02:47 PM
259 ... 34567 ...
tools
    BBM is the thing that I would miss the most too... One of the only reasons i'm sticking around BB as long as I have.
    You should check out Kik messenger. Its a cross-platform (BB, Apple and Android), looks and works very similar to BBM. It even gives you read reciepts. It just came out not too long ago... they will be adding group messaging, picture, video and audio clip messaging too.
    hey, thanks, i took a quick peek at the link that shows an appworld page. interesting! sounds promising. cool!
    06-29-10 04:42 PM
    It will probably be just as useless at the s1 and s2!
    06-29-10 05:26 PM
    Durrr, good contribution, boss!

Personally, I've completely lost interest. I like my Storm2, it works. The only thing I wish it had was a battery that could keep up with these new BBM betas. 20-40% in one group convo is ridiculous. If the Storm3 has this, sign me up.
    06-29-10 05:36 PM
    My read from CX's comment ia that RIM is going to give it a go at releasing the Storm as a multimedia power house and leave the business to devices like the 9800 and the updated bold (9700a)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Indeed. Although the 9800 will be a shot at consumers, just not as full fledged as S3... ))

As I had posted before Sal posted the specs he had been told, 1GHz is now the new standard and S3 will also have more than 512... ))
    06-29-10 05:58 PM
    Indeed. Although the 9800 will be a shot at consumers, just not as full fledged as S3... ))

As I had posted before Sal posted the specs he had been told, 1GHz is now the new standard and S3 will also have more than 512... ))
    Please tell me we'll see this in 2010
    06-29-10 06:42 PM

Makes sense. That's really exciting!!
    With the Storm3 having more than 512mb then that means it'll be a really awesome phone that will be worth the wait! I'm not so concerned if it will be offered by the holiday season (though I wouldn't want it to be released too far off into 2011).
    06-29-10 07:07 PM
    Please tell me we'll see this in 2010
    BGR posting that Verizon will be rolling out LTE 11/15 and "a slew of new devices" on Black Friday. Storm 3 is supposed to be one of the first couple of LTE enabled devices available, so there is hope.
    BTW- as someone who has been reading these forums since prior to Storm 1 release, I must say it's good to see Cx contributing to these discussions again. Hopefully the immature posters who offered nothing and begged for info that couldn't be released in the past have gone on to other pastures.
    06-29-10 08:41 PM
    Cx - good to hear from you again. Its been a long time. The S3 has some good specs. The most important one will LTE. Let's hope can pull of a new screen this time, unlike the last 2 attempts.
    06-29-10 09:08 PM
    Makes sense. That's really exciting!!
    With the Storm3 having more than 512mb then that means it'll be a really awesome phone that will be worth the wait! I'm not so concerned if it will be offered by the holiday season (though I wouldn't want it to be released too far off into 2011).
    Yeah 512 will be great for any blackberry, but don't kid yourself...its still just playing catch up. The droid incredible was released in April and it has 512 memory.

06-29-10 10:18 PM
    BTW- as someone who has been reading these forums since prior to Storm 1 release, I must say it's good to see Cx contributing to these discussions again. Hopefully the immature posters who offered nothing and begged for info that couldn't be released in the past have gone on to other pastures.
    Haha same here. Faithful Blackberry user here. Been seeing Android phones with crazy specs release back and forth but I always stuck with the touch berrys.

CX knows my love for the Storms even with his love for the qwertys.

CX... since I and many others are going S1 -> S2 -> S3 ......Can you give us a hint at what YEAR it will launch at least? Can you comment on if it's looking like it will continue the trend of Oct/Nov like the first 2?
    06-29-10 10:42 PM
    CX... since I and many others are going S1 -> S2 -> S3 ......Can you give us a hint at what YEAR it will launch at least? Can you comment on if it's looking like it will continue the trend of Oct/Nov like the first 2?
    I';m skipping the S2 and going straight to the S3, and apparently Verizon is announcing a few LTE in November. (and adding together other rumours in january Apple will be announcing a LTE iphone that will be on Verizon June 2011ish)
    06-29-10 10:53 PM
    Yeah 512 will be great for any blackberry, but don't kid yourself...its still just playing catch up. The droid incredible was released in April and it has 512 memory.

I think you misunderstood. The Storm3 will have more than 512mb. At least according to CX. Which would be great and he is a trustworthy guy.
    06-29-10 11:57 PM
    And according to salomondrin's sources it's "over 1GB"...but I'm guessing they may have meant "is 1GB".
    06-30-10 12:23 AM
    Maybe the os it will rum has to do with the purchase of qnx that co.any they bought this year
    06-30-10 05:22 AM
    Maybe the os it will rum has to do with the purchase of qnx that co.any they bought this year
    Would you like to try that again in English?

06-30-10 06:23 AM
    Sorry I was half a sleep. I was talking about that company qnx they purchased
    06-30-10 10:36 AM
    **** Verizon has everything...Sprint when do we get some new ****

06-30-10 11:02 AM
    **** Verizon has everything...Sprint when do we get some new ****

You just did. It's called the Evo. First 4g handset...Also you just got the Bold 9650.

No Storm love, but hey, what can you do?
    06-30-10 11:37 AM
    Sorry I was half a sleep. I was talking about that company qnx they purchased
    I was looking into it, and it actually seems pretty cool.
    Looking into it if the S3 was based on QNX, then I think it will:
    Be a bit more stable
    Have a more compact OS
    Have better application management, and possibly allow for a task manager similar to desktop Window's
    Should fix the memory leaking issue as there will be more control over memory allocation.
    and if they make api's that are compatible with the current BB OS, then most apps should be able to be made compatible easily with limited rewriting. On the other hand Devs have been crying for a better DevKit, so this may be the ticket.

no matter what, if the OS on the Storm3 (and later on the rest of the devices) was based on tis, this should fix pretty much ALL complaints of the current OS.
    06-30-10 04:06 PM
    I was looking into it, and it actually seems pretty cool.
    Looking into it if the S3 was based on QNX, then I think it will:
    Be a bit more stable
    Have a more compact OS
    Have better application management, and possibly allow for a task manager similar to desktop Window's
    Should fix the memory leaking issue as there will be more control over memory allocation.
    and if they make api's that are compatible with the current BB OS, then most apps should be able to be made compatible easily with limited rewriting. On the other hand Devs have been crying for a better DevKit, so this may be the ticket.

no matter what, if the OS on the Storm3 (and later on the rest of the devices) was based on tis, this should fix pretty much ALL complaints of the current OS.
    That does sound promising. But do we think they could buy the company in April and release a device running it in November?

Maybe they were working with it in its open source state and decided to buy it and lock it up. But still that seems like a very short timeline.

Funny but when that news dropped I was thinking of it as auto mobile software and not a Unix like OS kernel.

Shows how much I know.

06-30-10 04:34 PM
    Funny but when that news dropped I was thinking of it as auto mobile software and not a Unix like OS kernel.
    Well, it's a UNIX kernel for imbedded use, so close enough.
    06-30-10 05:17 PM
    Well, it's a UNIX kernel for imbedded use, so close enough.
    very interesting..............don't exactly know how it all works..........but interesting nonetheless lol

I don't think this device will be playing catch up (at least not by much) even if it is released in 2011 which i don't think it will be.

People have got to realize that this phone will be a major upgrade for the Storm platform......bigger than going from a 3GS to an iphone 4G.

We're talking first (or second) LTE phone for verizon! Then they say the implementation on the screen is supposed to be pretty much perfect and i believe that if they've went thru the trouble of giving this phone its own unique OS. im truly interested to see what the QNX acquisition will do to this phone.

Bottom line this phone will be the closest (spec wise) competition we've had to the most recent high-end phones released by other platforms. Im glad that RIM is finally competing and actually making the Storm the serious consumer driven device it should've been all along
    07-01-10 01:40 PM
    I hope the Storm 3 have 3.7 or 4.0 inch display.
    07-04-10 12:04 AM
    There seem to be a lot of crazy misconceptions in this thread...

First off, you can pretty much (no matter what the leaks say) predict within 3-4 variations, the combo of app/device/sd memory. This is because of the close relationship with Samsung and their "Fusion memory" line (onenand/movinand/etc).

To say that just because a BB with 1GB vs 512MB will have worse battery life is just dumb. This is due to advances in Samsung's technology to allow for lower voltage and/or smaller sized chips. Less size = less output = less power used. Period.

****, depending on which bundle they go with, the S3 could actually end up using LESS power than the storm 1!

This information is publicly available, and no-one is hiding it from you...
    07-04-10 10:38 AM
    1ghz and 512 ram will be outdated by next year the phones in jan 2010 had 1ghz.
    07-04-10 03:41 PM
259 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD