08-04-10 02:47 PM
259 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I'm going to go with CX's point and be happy that the S3 does indeed have a 1ghz processor. That's at least a very impressive step up for RIM I feel.
    Did I hear a 1.2ghz processor....?? Any takers???
    06-27-10 09:22 PM
    Here is the deal with the Stormy 3:

1) Its being tested by a very limited team
    2) The phone's shell its still the Storm 2's shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    3) It does have a 1ghz processor
    4) 8 GB internal memory
    5) 512 flash was what they saw at first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1 gb of flash memory
    6) It won't run on OS 6.0. Its gonna be running on an OS of its own
    7) The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    8) 5 MP camera still on it as off now.
    9) The screen will be something new we haven't seen (new input mechanism) ,but it won't work like the Storm 2.
    10) Its gonna be Verizon's 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They aren't sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.

That's where the phone stands right now. Or at least with my source.

Now everyone do me a favor and stay sexy for me ok?
    06-27-10 09:32 PM

2) The phone's shell its still the Storm 2's shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    4) 8 GB internal memory
    5) 512 flash was what they saw at first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1 gb of flash memory
    7) The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    9) The screen will be something new we haven't seen (new input mechanism) ,but it won't work like the Storm 2.
    10) Its gonna be Verizon's 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They aren't sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.

Can you ask the source if it will be called the R500? assuming that the R000 number seen before is the first LTE concept (ideally looks the same as the Bold 9000), the S3 should be a Rxxx series device if it's an LTE device, but be a x5xx to stay in line with the other Storms.

It's great to hear that it will have a different OS, as that would indicate that they are finally getting rid of legacy code that is constricting development (the iphone 3GS actually had the same amount of active memory as the Storm2, but it managed to runn apps from internal memory. if the S3 could do this it will be the other answer to our prayer (Webkit's the first)

Unfortunately Ontario has much stricter liquor laws then California so we won't see the concept out in the open soon .

(invests in salt)
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-27-10 at 09:44 PM.
    06-27-10 09:41 PM

4) 8 GB internal memory

this definitely goes with what my friend was saying about the storm 3, especially about the OS being totally different, something about having multiple layers
    06-27-10 10:02 PM

4) 8 GB internal memory

That doesn't sound like it's coming this year. 1ghz processor phone coming out next year? The rest of the specs should be interesting
    06-27-10 10:10 PM
    See, all of this would be easily enough for me to stick around if this can get a Q3 (or early Q4) release, but if we have to wait until some indefinite date in 2011 when many S1 users get their upgrade in mid-late summer... there will be problems I suspect.

Note that I'm not faulting RIM here; I realize that development is not simply a matter of "how soon can we make it" but actually a complex relationship between what a carrier wants in terms of this model, what RIM and their carriers prioritize in terms of new refreshes and new models, etc. Plus, if they are rebooting the OS to a new version...I can see how it may take some time, especially if it's coming with LTE, which seems to almost justify pushing the release time off.

But! A future-proofed LTE phone that comes this year (with strategic leaks letting customers know when to expect it during the summer when lots of contracts come up) is still a much smarter market-share move IMO then hush-hushing it up to try and wow a new generation of customers next year.

The simple matter is that other platforms, whether they deserve it or not, are growing faster. And part of competing with that means working to maintain a lot of (often first-generation) customer loyalty with the brand so they don't slip away to other platforms.

Sure, this is also what I personally want, but in this case I think it's the smart move for RIM. I also thought getting the S2 refresh out the door in a year was a good move, even though it did nothing for me, so it's not just self-interest motivating me. Waiting 2-3 months for a better Storm doesn't seem so bad; waiting half a year or more (with no clear indicators of how good it will be relative to other phones shipping by then) isn't really palatable for the large number of touch-screen BB users that have to make concrete decisions this summer about where to spend their money. So unless RIM feels that delaying (and hushing) the S3 will make it so good that they can afford to drop a large chunk of the original Storm users because they'll peel off an even larger number of customers from Droid and Apple platforms during the release (and that has to be relative to the number of new customers + retained subscribers they'd get with a 2010 release) then it's simply a mistake to wait that long for release.
    Last edited by ottscay; 06-27-10 at 10:20 PM.
    06-27-10 10:14 PM

4) 8 GB internal memory

Sal in the hizzle - good to hear from you. Thanks for the info.

The first item on the list is interesting. I guess they needed a different mindset as opposed to their existing BB testers? Or maybe with the different touchscreen OS, it's just a different team - but then why so few?

Number 9 on the list concerns me a bit. I like the surepress screen - as long as it still clicks I'm hip to the groove in it.
    06-27-10 11:14 PM
    I hope that the phone being in the Storm shell doesn't mean it has the same screen size. Hopefully they are making better use of the real estate and have more screen and less wasted space.
    06-28-10 12:06 AM

4) 8 GB internal memory

This sounds great!!
    First of all, I hope that whatever shell they decide to use for the Storm3 makes it look ultra-sleek and attractive.
    So I suppose stuff like screen size won't or can't be answered right now.
    A 1gz processor sounds really good right now but in a couple months I'm sure it would need to be upgraded to something else. Overall this phone sounds like it's coming along great. I'm open for a new implementation of SurePress technology, as long as it doesn't get rid of it completely.

Oh and having a new dedicated OS for the Storm3 is REALLY exciting!
    06-28-10 12:29 AM
    If the Storm 3 is LTE with 1gb RAM, that's great. However, it needs to come out by the end of this year, or early next year if it wants to raise the bar and not simply play catch up again.

Also, the Storm 3 needs to have a bigger screen. The best Android phones are all moving to 4" and I personally think that the Storm 3 could go for something bigger, mabye 4.3" like the Droid X.
    06-28-10 02:32 AM
    The Storm 3 sounds really promising I have just taken a new contract with Vodafone with an Android, but im going to go back to my Storm 2, I miss blackberry to much LOL (i'm in a 7 day cooling period).

This is this whatthe S3 is going to be like im gonna hold out, but i really do hope its out for Q3 on this year, if not i do really think its going to be another catch up phone.

BTW what is LTE?
    Last edited by KBV1; 06-28-10 at 05:56 AM.
    06-28-10 05:05 AM
    Thanks for the info Sal!

I think 1 ghz is required for LTE. The QC chips that run LTE are all 1ghz plus with some impressive video capabilities.

Glad to hear that they are looking at 1 gb flash.

Since VZW is launching LTE in November I expect we'll see this before the holidays.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 05:48 AM
    It just occurred to me that if OS6 is fore the qwerty devices and the touch screens are running something different...that is going to freak some people on her who like plain vanilla UI go nuts. All that animation and it isn't even for the Storm. LOL

06-28-10 06:33 AM

4) 8 GB internal memory

I hope this is correct.

However, I would still like to see a higher resolution camera or something special with the camera (optical zoom, low light capabilities, etc.). Also, screen real estate is important to me.

As I look for something that will increasingly replace the need to lug my laptop around to access the net, the screen will be important. It doesn't help that I'm getting older (40's). I'd like to see a wider than 16:9 screen. Even something like a candy bar. OK, maybe not quite THAT big... But 4+ inches is reasonable, even 4.5" if, say 16:8 (2:1).

I'm really conflicted as my NE2 is around the Droid X release date and I like how my BB works (I've had a BB for 4 years now), but the Storm 1 has left a VERY foul taste in my mouth!

Those of you with the Storm 2 can afford to wait until later in the year to get a hopefully competitive Storm 3. Those of us with the Storm 1 face a difficult decision.

Personally, I want my Storm to do SO much more than it will right now. Not that it isn't CAPABLE of doing more, but rather that I just don't have the memory to do it. Especially with the continuous memory leaks requiring daily resets (thank you QuickPull Free!). Even so, there still are things that the existing Storms just will not do.

While it is refreshing to hear that the upcoming Storm 3 should be/will be competitive with what is out there RIGHT NOW, I wonder if it will be with the Android phones in 3 months. By the end of the year, Moto is rumored to be releasing a "Droid Pro" that will have all the features of the iPhone4, a 2ghz processor, etc.

As for many who claim that RIM surely understands the market, I question that claim. I hold up the Storm 1 and Storm 2 as cases in point. People also thought that GM, Microsoft (PDAs/phones), Ashton-Tate (dBase), Borland (development tools), IBM, etc. were unassailable in their markets and/or in new markets they tried to enter. However, ALL of them were handed their rears by newer, more aggressive competitors.

Just because RIM has a near stranglehold on the business market doesn't mean they will keep it. We are already seeing that they are growing more slowly than the market, which means they are losing relative market share. We are seeing defections from BES to other tools/phones. Other companies are beginning to use/incorporate "push" email. Not only that, but people do not want to carry two phones. One for work and one for everything else.

There is only one truism in the market, adapt or die. Sure it won't happen right away, but as noted previously, look at Palm. The Treo was THE smartphone. It almost defined the market singlehandedly. They leveraged what made their PDAs great. However, RIM handed them their rears because Palm missed the importance of email.

Now RIM is, IMO, in serious danger of missing the importance of web/multimedia in phones. Business people would love to be able to fully use a phone for presentations, etc., especially with the new pico-projectors! The current Storms are woefully inadequate for this.

As someone who has spent 20+ years in IS, I can tell you that IS people, by necessity, tend to lead the market. We need to be able to see what is available when business needs/replacement cycles arise and see where the business needs to go. RIM had better pay attention, if for no other reason than to not lose mind share as that can be fatal. Just take a look at what happened to the almost unassailable Dell just a few years ago.

IMO, they have just about lost the consumer market war already. Not quite hopelessly so, but close.

If RIM is shooting for where the market is TODAY, they will, once again, release a product in a few months that is "average". AND one that will REALLY be showing its age in two years (NE2 time). Once again.

OK, I've finally gotten that off my chest. Sorry for climbing on the soapbox...

PLEASE RIM, if you are monitoring this site, PLEASE give us SOME news on the upcoming Storm 3 in the next 2-3 weeks or you risk losing the very people who drive product adoption to your competition! Businesses/business people are seeing these sexy Android/iPhone4 phones and are facing the need to upgrade. Satisfy their needs or pay the price. (Just a prediction, not a threat.)

Best regards,

Scott
    06-28-10 09:45 AM
    Oh, regarding LTE, I'm not sure how much that will play into my decision. While I would LOVE to have a more "future-proofed" phone, I keep hearing rumors that Verizon will change their data plan for the LTE phones to something similar to what AT&T has now.

At least they are still offering unlimited data on 3G, but LTE, for various reasons, is something I don't think they will/can afford to offer unlimited.

FWIW...

Scott
    06-28-10 09:49 AM
    It just occurred to me that if OS6 is fore the qwerty devices and the touch screens are running something different...that is going to freak some people on her who like plain vanilla UI go nuts. All that animation and it isn't even for the Storm. LOL

Makes me wonder if this new interface isn't ready yet for the slider or what. Either that, or RIM is really going to try to position the Storm3 as a multimedia powerhouse, something I don't see them doing with the 9800 slider.
    06-28-10 10:50 AM
    Makes me wonder if they are testing it on the 9800.

What was that V.9 (or whatever it was) OS running on that 9800 all about anyway?
    I know everyone dismissed it as a cover for OS6 but it seemed a little odd.

I doubt RIM would drastically change the UI. Hopefully i'm wrong.
    06-28-10 11:12 AM
    I will hold out for the S4 if it truly will be 4G and out 6 months after the S3. I sure do hope the S3 keeps the S2 form factor.
    No, your Otterbox will not fit.
    06-28-10 12:05 PM
    Makes me wonder if this new interface isn't ready yet for the slider or what. Either that, or RIM is really going to try to position the Storm3 as a multimedia powerhouse, something I don't see them doing with the 9800 slider.
    Going to give it a go at least...
    06-28-10 04:22 PM
    If RIM chooses to make the Storm series an all-out "flagship" phone for their company, I'd be very happy. THe more resources and (hopefully ADVERTISING, BY VERIZON) thrown towards the Storm series the better for me, since I love the surepress technology, the BRIGHT screen, LOUD speaker, and other features of the Storms. Somehow, I can't see Verizon really getting on board with a big marketing push, but one can hope. I would not be happy getting a non-BB phone because I'd lose out on BBM and (as of this writing) the brightest screen on the market (IMO). I've seen them ALL.
    06-28-10 05:19 PM
    what ever happened to the Dakota or magnum is that idea dead now because from when we first heard about it it should of come out by now
    06-28-10 05:59 PM
    Going to give it a go at least...
    CX, were you referring to the the Storm3 or the 9800?
    06-29-10 03:45 PM
    CX, were you referring to the the Storm3 or the 9800?
    My read from CX's comment ia that RIM is going to give it a go at releasing the Storm as a multimedia power house and leave the business to devices like the 9800 and the updated bold (9700a)

06-29-10 04:00 PM
    If RIM chooses to make the Storm series an all-out "flagship" phone for their company, I'd be very happy. THe more resources and (hopefully ADVERTISING, BY VERIZON) thrown towards the Storm series the better for me, since I love the surepress technology, the BRIGHT screen, LOUD speaker, and other features of the Storms. Somehow, I can't see Verizon really getting on board with a big marketing push, but one can hope. I would not be happy getting a non-BB phone because I'd lose out on BBM and (as of this writing) the brightest screen on the market (IMO). I've seen them ALL.
    I think the S3 will have to be successful before you are marketing dollars from VZW. Of S3 is spoof and sells well, especially considering the competition, then you would see a bigger campaign from VZW for the next BB, or S4.

Unfortunately S3 will have to clear the slate of some of the bad reviews of its fore fathers.

06-29-10 04:04 PM
    BBM is the thing that I would miss the most too... One of the only reasons i'm sticking around BB as long as I have.
    You should check out Kik messenger. Its a cross-platform (BB, Apple and Android), looks and works very similar to BBM. It even gives you read reciepts. It just came out not too long ago... they will be adding group messaging, picture, video and audio clip messaging too.
    06-29-10 04:14 PM
259 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD