08-04-10 02:47 PM
259 12345 ...
tools
    Battery life might also be a result of usage....

When I first got my STORM I used it all the time trying out the browser, BBM, Google Maps and a few silly applications...battery only lasted 6 hours or so. Then after a few months I stopped using the browser so much because it was too slow, and while BBM is great most of the people I want to chat with do not have BB... and most of the applications were not really useful.
    Today I have no problem with battery life, I plug my BB in at night after 15 hours, with usually 50% of my 16 month old battery still charged.

Of course there are times I still use Google maps, and the GPS and constant data usage really do suck the battery down.

If you look at the specs on most of the major phones today, battery life looks to be about the same... so it may just be the DROID users just user their phones more??
    06-10-10 04:31 PM
    While usage is certainly going to have the most significant impact on battery life (hopefully, nobody is surprised about this), there are a multitude of other things that will influence battery life as well, including the CPU, the OS efficiency and design, apps being used (or, not used but still draining battery), etc. Some designs will draw more energy than others. It's not so much the battery type, mAh are mAh, but what's pulling on them.

I'm still waiting for the big, fuel cell technology to hit the phone market...unfortunately, I had to quit holding my breath several years ago. I even worked with a guy that had received a huge grant to research it, he was full of hope and optimism and always showing me the latest discovery/advancements. I got excited, I held my breath...........and held.............and held..............

Next up, a mini-nuclear cell!!

Battery life might also be a result of usage....

When I first got my STORM I used it all the time trying out the browser, BBM, Google Maps and a few silly applications...battery only lasted 6 hours or so. Then after a few months I stopped using the browser so much because it was too slow, and while BBM is great most of the people I want to chat with do not have BB... and most of the applications were not really useful.
    Today I have no problem with battery life, I plug my BB in at night after 15 hours, with usually 50% of my 16 month old battery still charged.

Of course there are times I still use Google maps, and the GPS and constant data usage really do suck the battery down.

If you look at the specs on most of the major phones today, battery life looks to be about the same... so it may just be the DROID users just user their phones more??
    06-10-10 05:23 PM
    Just go Tesla and use the radio/bluetooth/wifi waves to power it. They already demo'd a device that charge a cell phone using that technology. After that figure out how to make the screen a solar panel. Look at the evo. All that screen realestate would charge that puppy up in 20 minutes sitting on a window sill. LOL.

I am no expert but as I understand it LTE should much more efficient. Of course we may not see that until devices don't need a CDMA radio as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 07:19 AM
    Just go Tesla and use the radio/bluetooth/wifi waves to power it. They already demo'd a device that charge a cell phone using that technology. After that figure out how to make the screen a solar panel. Look at the evo. All that screen realestate would charge that puppy up in 20 minutes sitting on a window sill. LOL.

I am no expert but as I understand it LTE should much more efficient. Of course we may not see that until devices don't need a CDMA radio as well.

1. the tesla chargers are still being tested and are not ready for cellphone use, and the first ones will still be pretty inefficient. same goes for the solar displays, because if they just slap one on either it will be very lousy or it will make viewing the screen impossible.
    2. the theory that CDMA used more battery life then GSM was established when CDMA had 3G and GSM did not. the old pearl 8130 was a 3G device yet the GSM standard only got a 3G pearl just now.
    06-11-10 10:37 AM
    yeah it sounds like RIM's version of "stepping up to the plate"
    i'm hoping it has a good battery in it though.

Qualcomm makes a 1GHz processor. It's called the Snapdragon. have you heard of it?
    BIG ditto on the battery. Carrying around a spare to get through the day is annoying at times. "oh, can I call you back, I have to change my battery?!"
    06-11-10 10:49 AM
    1. the tesla chargers are still being tested and are not ready for cellphone use, and the first ones will still be pretty inefficient. same goes for the solar displays, because if they just slap one on either it will be very lousy or it will make viewing the screen impossible.
    2. the theory that CDMA used more battery life then GSM was established when CDMA had 3G and GSM did not. the old pearl 8130 was a 3G device yet the GSM standard only got a 3G pearl just now.
    I was kidding about Tesla. We are years away from anything like that if ever. Also the solar screen was just a thought. Are you saying that some one is working on that?

06-11-10 11:43 AM
    Playing "catch-up" is not a route to success. Sure RIM is on top right now... but at one time Palm was in a really good position in the Smartphone world.
    Actually, palm were never in a really good position in the smartphone world, they did well in the pda world, but never really made a successful transition to smartphones.

In a field like this it is not about playing catch-up anyway, it is about addressing your own weaknesses and continuing to improve your own products, which is what rim are doing even if we may think they should move faster.
    06-11-10 01:54 PM
    If you look at the articles on the htc evo, you can see that even if they switch pretty much everything off just the os and that big screen still suck down the battery very quickly, so no it isn't simply down to using their phones more.
    06-11-10 01:57 PM
    I think the notion of playing catch up, compared to just being outclassed is the difference between RIM and what seems is the new world way of phone manufacturing.

If all my Blackberry can do is push email, but has the same specs of the freebie flip phone then why should I be paying premium money for inferior hardware, and an app experience that might as well be limited to a few goodies and themes?

The Incredible and Droid both offer email, a significant variety and number of apps, as well as better hardware specs (which justifies hanging on to the phone for 2 years).

If the next Storm fails to impress (speed, dependability i.e. no mem leaks, crashes, etc) then I'd definitely be in the market for an Android experience. I've had a Droid Incredible for testing for a month and am amazed at how good this phone is compared to either my Storm 1 and 2 with the only downfall being battery life and not so instant email.
    That is exactly how I feel.

Not everyone is into phones with the highest specs, and that is perfectly fine, I don't need a BB with a 2ghz processor, or a retina display...although i wouldn't mind it....but I don't need that. What I do need however is at least something comparable. There are a lot of specs/features that still haven't come to the BB platform. The fact that RIM is about to release a slider with a 360x480 res screen is crazy to me because its such a far cry from some of the higher res screens out there. How can u compete in the consumer market if you aren't going to actually compete.

Im happy for RIM's success, but I do wonder how much longer people are going to keep buying low end curves when they can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

This is just my 2 cents. Im really rooting for RIM. I know some people don't care about higher specs as they have concerns for battery life among other things as well. I just wish would add a product to their line-up for us folks that like the finer things in life lol
    06-13-10 10:11 PM
    That is exactly how I feel.

Not everyone is into phones with the highest specs, and that is perfectly fine, I don't need a BB with a 2ghz processor, or a retina display...although i wouldn't mind it....but I don't need that. What I do need however is at least something comparable. There are a lot of specs/features that still haven't come to the BB platform. The fact that RIM is about to release a slider with a 360x480 res screen is crazy to me because its such a far cry from some of the higher res screens out there. [bold]How can u compete in the consumer market if you aren't going to actually compete.[/bold]

Im happy for RIM's success, but I do wonder how much longer people are going to keep buying low end curves when they can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

This is just my 2 cents. Im really rooting for RIM. I know some people don't care about higher specs as they have concerns for battery life among other things as well. I just wish would add a product to their line-up for us folks that like the finer things in life lol
    That right there sums it up.

06-14-10 06:26 AM
    Actually, palm were never in a really good position in the smartphone world, they did well in the pda world, but never really made a successful transition to smartphones.

In a field like this it is not about playing catch-up anyway, it is about addressing your own weaknesses and continuing to improve your own products, which is what rim are doing even if we may think they should move faster.
    Wasn't the Treo like the top Dog for a while? Early on it was just that and early BB's no?

Your second statement is just plain ignorance. If all RIM does is address their own issues then that's nice, but if they don't look at what is making the other platforms successful and address the gaps between their strengths and RIMs (estenially 'catch up') than they won't be around long. It is a very competitive market now and you have the classic new comers who are hungry and full of innovation gain ground against the solidified leader who is finding it somewhat challenging to break out of their molds and at least appear to be as innovative as the new kids without subbing their existing base.

RIM is doing good addressing some of their weak points but if OS6 has some of the same basic flaws as the previous versions and they continue to do bare minimum on specs than that will come around and bite them on the ***. It already is based on the # of Storm And tour owners who are moving off to other devices with a bad taste in their mouths because RIM bare minimumed the specs on the devices. Compare that to the incredible and pending Moto shadow/xtreme/x which both carry 8 gb of internal memory just because 2.2 will allow apps on that memory. Can't do it now, but it is coming, so those manufacturers build their devices to handle the next OS and what it would bring. So comparatively RIM burned some bridges in the consumer market.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-14-10 at 06:45 AM.
    06-14-10 06:41 AM
    Have you seen the slider in action to decide the resolution is no good, certainly in the videos and pictures the screen looks great on it even with the lower screen resolution compared to some others on the market.

Combine that with worse battery life and the screen shortages being reported by the likes of motorola and htc then rim's decision isn't such a terrible one after all.
    06-14-10 06:52 AM
    The problem with leaked specs is they are subject to change. They are put on beta devices for testing purposes and if something can be cut or added to either save a buck or boost performance it can happen. Afterall, the general public only sees the released specs everything else is based on rumors.
    06-14-10 07:15 AM
    Wasn't the Treo like the top Dog for a while? Early on it was just that and early BB's no?
    No, they did will with their pdas, but the treos came later.

Your second statement is just plain ignorance. If all RIM does is address their own issues then that's nice, but if they don't look at what is making the other platforms successful and address the gaps between their strengths and RIMs (estenially 'catch up') than they won't be around long.
    When most people use the term catching up they are talking about specs and those are overrated on places like this, if a device runs fast then your average person doesn't care how many mhz the cpu is or if the screen looks good then they don't particularly care about the exact number of pixels.

Rim's weaknesses are things like the poor browser or the perception of the os being outdated despite it already supporting many of the much hyped new features of ios4, os6 should help them with both of these.

The other major weaknesses for them are the lack of apps and the memory to store them in, they slowly improve the former, albeit not quick enough, but the latter still needs to improve because upping device memory to 512MB is just a bandaid not a solution, even if they don't want apps running from an sd card due to security or performance concerns then they should still be adding more internal flash memory to the devices and letting people install apps onto there because the more they encourage 3rd party development the more people will want to install.
    06-14-10 07:45 AM
    I see many people making comments and waxing poetically about how/why RIM is what they are and either predicting their success or demise. The bottom line is, none of us know nor are any of us privy to RIM's inside corporate philosophy. RIM knows EXACTLY where they are in comparison to the competition. They know EXACTLY what the pitfalls of their devices are and who has better what. Nobody, but nobody, is saying anything here that would cause the higher ups in RIM to go "oh gosh, we didn't think of that."

While I realize that people (most, but not all) wish RIM to do well and are mostly stating their ideologies and beliefs (and guesses and hypothesis' and also regurgitating rumors), the bottom line is, RIM appears (this is my own hypothesis) to prefer a position in the market place of manufacturing devices that are, while not leading edge, good devices that provide essential services. I don't think RIM wishes to be known as the front runner of technology.

Some of the deographics will accept that and remain, some may wish to switch over to someone who is more cutting edge. Some people buy excellent American cars while others want the latest/greatest from Japan or Europe. There is room for everyone. I for one, like RIM and, for the moment at least, see no reason to jump ship.
    06-14-10 12:46 PM
    No, they did will with their pdas, but the treos came later.
    Okay but once the Treo launched wasn't it a very successful device for a few years?

When most people use the term catching up they are talking about specs and those are overrated on places like this, if a device runs fast then your average person doesn't care how many mhz the cpu is or if the screen looks good then they don't particularly care about the exact number of pixels.

Rim's weaknesses are things like the poor browser or the perception of the os being outdated despite it already supporting many of the much hyped new features of ios4, os6 should help them with both of these.

The other major weaknesses for them are the lack of apps and the memory to store them in, they slowly improve the former, albeit not quick enough, but the latter still needs to improve because upping device memory to 512MB is just a bandaid not a solution, even if they don't want apps running from an sd card due to security or performance concerns then they should still be adding more internal flash memory to the devices and letting people install apps onto there because the more they encourage 3rd party development the more people will want to install.
    Very true. I was speaking more to your comment that all RIM should do is address their own issues and not sweat what the competition was doing. (maybe I read into your comments a bit)

06-14-10 04:38 PM
    Lets put it this way. RIM knows they need to step it up. These rumours may or may not be true but you can expect rim to release something fantastic in the next storm version.
    We thought RIM knew they had to step it up after the Storm 1 was awful and made RIM look years behind the competition. Then we got the Storm 2, and now the media never even talks about Blackberry, it's always iPhone vs Android. Blackberry used to be part of the conversation but now it's just not even in the picture. Storm3/Bold3 have to be really big leaps forward and not just catch ups if they want to be talked about in a positive way again. The general negativity of the media towards Blackberry will hurt it's brand in the mind of consumers.
    06-16-10 04:20 AM
    If the 1ghz processor, 512mb RAM, and 8-16gb of internal memory are true I will definitely be looking forward to this device. Now days the average consumer is into the flashy apps on apple and android devices but I still think blackberry devices are still the best when it comes to performing the basic functions of a smartphone(especially messaging). It would be nice to have a storm device with this type of power. I like my 9550 especially since Rim added the silicone actuators to make the surepress technology almost perfect. The only problem i have with my 9550 is that it runs way too slow and it takes ten minutes for it to reboot.
    06-27-10 04:01 AM
    I have to say...if those specs are true AND there will be a release in Q3 (or at least before the holidays) I would hold out for a Storm 3. But there's better start being some solid leaks before August rolls around, because if there's no information when my contract comes up I'll be switching to Droid.

Since I actually need screen space for my job touch screens are where it's at for me. I love the messaging/email on the Storm (even my lowly Storm 1) and I love that Blackberries can get cell coverage more or less anywhere in the world.

But, I travel less internationally now and travel a lot more domestically, and the internet/search/maps functionality on Droid are better (I really dislike how Verizon Navigator works on the Storm) and the calendar system is at least as good (better probably now with how smoothly it integrates with Google Calendar). So at this point it's really only the push email integration that is truly better on a BB for me. And at times I live and die by my email, but there is more than one way to arrange for a push exchange, so as much better as RIM's version is it's mostly just a convenience now (in that I don't have to set up a push service separately).

Please, someone at RIM decide it's time to start leaking so I can make a good decision. I'm not asking for as many apps as an iPhone or even a Droid, nor do I expect the most cutting-edge hardware. But I do expect a reasonably fast and stable phone with a better internet experience. I'm not going to lock myself into a 2 year contract to get a Storm 2, and I'm not going to sit around and not upgrade my phone if I have no information of what exactly I am waiting for (and how long) if I wait for a Storm 3.
    06-27-10 02:01 PM
    I am as anxious as anyone to see some concrete info on the 3, but I found myself thinking last week, as the iPhone 4 and the Droid X specis were being bandied about, if RIM doesn't look at some of that stuff and think "oh crap, we'd better make this tweak or that tweak/upgrade" and thus, have not yet settled on what, exactly, the specs are going to be. I'm not "freaking" as some here appear to be, when it arrives, it arrives. I'd rather have them get it right than rush something not yet ready for prime time, out the door. If I had to wait (I don't) past my NE2, I'd still be complacent with waiting.

I have to admit though, I'm anxious to see the X, though I doubt it will be too alluring for me, I'm not a big fan of Android. The other day, I found my old, Dell PDA and decided to charge it up and see what the heck I even had on it. I suspect this thing is about as big as the X and it is a small stretch to hold it in your hand like you would a smart phone, so I am suspecting the X will be similar.
    06-27-10 02:08 PM
    Yeah, I'm also concerned about how the Droid X will feel in the hand; I'll probably look into it in a month or so.

I'm not "freaking out" over it; in fact, I can see if both ways. For RIM's sake (and I am I fan) I too would prefer for them to ship a product that wins customers and satisfies users even if it takes them a bit longer. But on the other hand, sticking it out with my original Storm is just not a practical option at this point. Heck, I've even been trolling ebay to see if I can find a cheap Storm 2 to replace it with, but that's still as much (or more) as just getting a top of the line droid with a 2yr extension.

Given that I'm in the market for a phone more or less now, and given that I'm not going to stick it out with a non-wifi enabled gen 1 phone unless I am specifically waiting for a new product from them, then from my perspective I'd rather hope that they have a Storm 3 already developed and in the wings (with good specs) for this fall...and that they'll let slip about it real soon. Otherwise...I guess I'll hope the Storm 4 or 5 is sweet enough to bring me back in 2 years.
    06-27-10 02:22 PM
    As seen with the new Iphone 4 & Droid X, 1GHz is now the new standard.... That's basically across the board.
    06-27-10 02:59 PM
    cx ru saying the storm3 will have 1ghz cause I really think you are up you r YES!
    06-27-10 03:58 PM
    If it is true, its a step in the right direction, but it needs to have increases in everything. IMO 2 rules to follow:
    1. Increase on all specs to show the market that improvements are being made and not another recycled berry. This includes, processor, resolution, os version, camera, app memory, storage, included memory card, trackpad, even the holster.
    2. Those increases have to be leaps that the market, developers and RIM themselves have to jump into, not slide away with the bare minimums. Bold 9650 has 512mb, good enough?-NO. 380x460 is more than enough?-NO. Who would use a 1gb processor? Give it to us and you will see BB development blossom. If I'm investing $600 on a phone I want it to last a year and not be outdated in 8 months (9700 I posted this over a year ago that 256 would not be enough!)

Seriously, RIM needs to adhere to its name...new research and keep it IN motion...

06-27-10 04:47 PM
    Why the iphone 3gs is a year old and it has just been replaced the droid is in the process of being replaced a d that's less then a year old so is the incredible I hear so if you use industry standard then after a year your phone is out dated come on everthing tech is out dated with in a year laptops tv u name it even the ipad once all the other companies come out with one that's it they will have to change it every year
    06-27-10 04:57 PM
259 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD