08-04-10 02:47 PM
259 1234 ...
tools
    my s1 sucks, my s2 is not much better,
    Then why would you even consider an s3?
    06-02-10 03:56 PM
    if this phone is release with these specs, it'll blow the iPhone 4G out of the water...they went with the A4 @ 500-550Mhz and RIM will probably throw in a 32GB SD card...or a dual slot...that would be sweet. Apple isn't very innovative and Android based phones are pretty extreme...this phone may have a chance at surviving!

ooo exciting
    The a4 has been benchmarked at up to 30% faster than the snapdragons. It's not all in the clock speed....
    06-02-10 10:31 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong (Ha! As if I have to say that, lol), but I think I read somewhere that the test device was thinner than previous Storms. If that's true, we'll be lucky to have the SAME battery life we're now experiencing. Battery technology is about as advanced as it can be at the moment. With a thinner battery, unless they can make room for it to be larger in length and width, I simply cannot see it working better (though, more effieicnt processors would help). But higher res displays and other advanced features would work the opposite, so who knows?
    Al speculation, but if the S3 is LTE, which has been a consistent rumor, than it may have better battery life. Also they could be more efficient in the layout of the hardware and make room for a bigger battery, ala iphone 4.

And now on .419 or .591 radios, battery life sucks.
    06-02-10 10:34 PM
    With these leaks about a minor 9700 upgrade, it makes these predictions of major changes for s3 seem even less likely.
    06-03-10 06:31 AM
    With these leaks about a minor 9700 upgrade, it makes these predictions of major changes for s3 seem even less likely.
    The thing is that RIM really got caught with their pants down. The S1 to S2, the tour 2/bold 9650 and now the 9700 are all examples of business as usual in Waterloo. Somewhere they started to smell the coffee. Maybe it was the Torch Mobile team, or feedback from the App community they are courting so heavily, or lack of widespread adoption of OS5 (at least in a timely fashion) do to the issues with it. So now we see these device refreshes to ensure that the hardware can handle the next year at least of the software and be somewhat competitive with the other offerings in the marketplace.

At this point RIM has to be planning 6.x or 7. So whose to say that the next version won't require 512 memory?

So my point is that they pulled the tour 2 back, increased the mem and then released as a bold. After doing something like that if they don't make sure the S3 hardware has growth room then they deserve to lose a lot of customers. ,,,,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by The_Engine; 06-03-10 at 06:57 AM.
    06-03-10 06:53 AM
    It all depends when s4 is due though, maybe verizon wants an os6 storm product in place for this christmas, but expect to have s4 6 months after that.
    06-03-10 08:44 AM
    Don't buy any of these supposed specs.

By nature of RIM, only 3 things are added to any device not already out in others. If the processor, memory, screen, camera, and others are there, then that proves it fake.

Expect S3 to be the exact same thing as s2 with more memory and possibly a new camera and updated software. That's it. Sorry to burst your bubbles, but that's RIM's biz as usual model vis a bis hardware: 1 new part in, 2 existing parts out.

06-03-10 09:21 AM
    I will hold out for the S4 if it truly will be 4G and out 6 months after the S3. I sure do hope the S3 keeps the S2 form factor.
    06-03-10 10:21 AM
    It all depends when s4 is due though, maybe verizon wants an os6 storm product in place for this christmas, but expect to have s4 6 months after that.
    Well that would just suck, but does seem to be RIM's Practice of late
    06-03-10 10:23 AM
    The specs are not that far fetched except for that 8gb of device memory, I think it would be more like 2gb. 512 is already out with the 9650. 5mp camera is rumored on the 9800 Slider so you would assume that would make it. Higher res screen sounds like a normal progression, especially if its in the 400 by 800 range. We shall see though. Btw I did a google search on when we first saw the 9550 and it was May 2009. So according to that we should start seeing leaked images pretty soon of the Storm 3 unless RIM has really locked things down.
    Last edited by noregrets721; 06-03-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
    06-03-10 10:25 AM
    The specs are not that far fetched except for that 8gb of device memory, I think it would be more like 2gb. 512 is already out with the 9650. 5mp camera is rumored on the 9800 Slider so you would assume that would make it. Higher res screen sounds like a normal progression, especially if its in the 400 by 800 range. We shall see though. Btw I did a google search on when we first saw the 9550 and it was May 2009. So according to that we should start seeing leaked images pretty soon of the Storm 3 unless RIM has really locked things down.
    I agree. We're not going to see one of those new Qualcomm Chips that is Dual core running 1.2 ghz each or anything. But the Chips that Qualcomm makes that support LTE are all 1 ghz processors. After that I think the Screen resolution and Sure Press will be upgraded, Memory (Flash/RAM and storage) will all be increased.

Personally I like to see them drop 1 gb of app memory. 512 might be enough, but a device like the Storm is not about having enough, it is about having the extras...And memory is damn cheap.
    06-03-10 10:39 AM
    Personally I like to see them drop 1 gb of app memory. 512 might be enough, but a device like the Storm is not about having enough, it is about having the extras...And memory is damn cheap.
    Couldn't agree more about the app memory. Especially with the Storm Series being pretty much an all consumer device. Simply put if RIM wants developers to jump on board and produce top of the line apps they need to increase this category so that we won't be looking at a 2mb app and questioning if its too big to download. Better apps generally take up more memory because there are more things put into them whether graphically or game play wise.

Maybe they would figure out a way to load the Os onto the device memory and free up the entire 512 (hopefully more) for app. (Wishful thinking)
    06-03-10 10:46 AM
    I agree. We're not going to see one of those new Qualcomm Chips that is Dual core running 1.2 ghz each or anything. But the Chips that Qualcomm makes that support LTE are all 1 ghz processors. After that I think the Screen resolution and Sure Press will be upgraded, Memory (Flash/RAM and storage) will all be increased.

+1 on dropping S3 with 1gb of app memory...why not just go balls deep on the app memory - i mean if they advertise media capabilities like they have in the past and really want to make an impact then 1gb should prove a point. i dont think i could see them going any higher tho...
    06-03-10 10:49 AM
    +1 on dropping S3 with 1gb of app memory...why not just go balls deep on the app memory - i mean if they advertise media capabilities like they have in the past and really want to make an impact then 1gb should prove a point. i dont think i could see them going any higher tho...
    Adding app memory is not a zero-sum proposition, more memory means reduced battery life for the user and if you aren't using more than the 512mb then you end up worse off.

Rather than mindlessly adding memory in this manner, what they need to do is offload more onto the memory card while keeping a level of security that they are happy with, that is a far more scalable solution.
    06-03-10 11:52 AM
    Well that would just suck, but does seem to be RIM's Practice of late
    Most likely it is a carrier request, they want something in the storm range for the holidays that is better suited to os6.
    06-03-10 11:53 AM
    I bought a droid and gave up my Storm and Im sorry I did. The storm is not as fast and dont have the larger screen but the have there goods and bads. What really bothers me is sthe damn thing will send emails to people if you dont lock the screen. It acts like its Possessed by the boggie man and does what every it wants to do. I took it back to change it back to a storm and they talked me out of it of doing it. Love the screen and the internet speed and how easy it is to select stuff in the browser and thats about it.

Im going to keep it till the storm 3 comes out and then maybe hop back on the black berry wagon again. This just really sucks having people asking if I'm incrypting email now. LOL

And I hate unlocking the screen everytime i want to use it

Look out moon, there all coming you way.

Stan
    06-03-10 12:12 PM
    Adding app memory is not a zero-sum proposition, more memory means reduced battery life for the user and if you aren't using more than the 512mb then you end up worse off.

Rather than mindlessly adding memory in this manner, what they need to do is offload more onto the memory card while keeping a level of security that they are happy with, that is a far more scalable solution.
    thats very true and a good point, but i mean are they just going to stick with 512 until a new battery tech comes out or something? i mean with BB starting to get more apps and the storm2 having openGL and gaming and all that - more memory is going to be needed.

I mean are you also saying they shouldn't increase the storm's resolution and/or screen size due to it negatively affecting battery life? I currently dock my 9530 every night (to use as an alarm) after heavy texting/browsing/emailing and it still has 50%+ of the battery left. I think a lot will depend on how efficient OS6 is and how fat of a battery they can pack into the storm3 form factor.
    06-03-10 12:50 PM

I want more features, even at the cost of battery life. Upgrade the battery to 1600 mA to offset things a bit, if needed. The Storm line is your consumer offering. The batterry/sales performance of other consumer oriented phones have shown that battery life is not the key feature consumers are looking for. Between wall/usb/car chargers and a spare battery I haven't run into many situations where battery life is a negative. Leave the 48 hour battery life to the Curve and Bold lines and give Storm users some power.
    06-04-10 11:19 AM
    Folks I think all he is getting at is that having the OS and Apps all mixed in one place is not a good architecture and that just adding more memory to that bucket is not a solid long term solution. The recommendation to be able to run apps off the storage memory is a good one. The BB OS only needs about 256 mb of memory to run really well. If the OS could run apps from the other memory available on the device then that would be a better solution. This is how Apple works, and as of 2.2 how Android is going. Just think about an S1. You 'd have that 25-50 mbs free (depending on how you load the OS) and then 1 gb of internal storage for all you apps. If they did not allow removable storage that would be fine by me. The 8gb sd card could be for pics, songs, movies, etc.

That would be the way the go. I mean the S2 would be golden for many a year to come with 256mb for the os and then 2 gb of app space. But then, that is probably why RIM doesn't want to do it....
    06-04-10 11:29 AM
    Then why would you even consider an s3?
    I like the phone from an email perspective, and messaging, but the short comings of app memory, memory leaks, and lock ups leaves a lot to be desired in a stable phone. Also I'm jealous of how quickly the app market for Android has developed. I want a phone that does it all, and currently Blackberry is slowly falling short in that area. Email and messaging are awesome, but being able to purchase unique apps, and have a faster phone would make it that much better. Also considering S3/S4 are supposed to be LTE I'd love to have one of those offerings as well.
    06-04-10 09:51 PM
    I want more features, even at the cost of battery life. Upgrade the battery to 1600 mA to offset things a bit, if needed. The Storm line is your consumer offering. The batterry/sales performance of other consumer oriented phones have shown that battery life is not the key feature consumers are looking for. Between wall/usb/car chargers and a spare battery I haven't run into many situations where battery life is a negative. Leave the 48 hour battery life to the Curve and Bold lines and give Storm users some power.
    Why not just get an IPhone or Android if you want a phone with a lot of apps with little regard to battery life? I'd prefer the Storm to be the one (and dare I say only) battery-conscious touchscreen phone in the market. Why should it become another iclone? You're also assuming that all consumers are looking for the same things. Believe it or not, but people have their own preferences.

06-05-10 11:09 AM
    I like how everyone is comparing the S3 to the Droid.. and talking about RIM finally catching up to the hardware specifications to a phone that will have been on the market for a year by the time the S3 is released. If you want to see if RIM is catching up, you need to find the specs from the Droid2 and make a comparison.

Playing "catch-up" is not a route to success. Sure RIM is on top right now... but at one time Palm was in a really good position in the Smartphone world.
    06-09-10 04:43 PM
    "Spec Shopping" can be dangerous, though I admit I'm guilty of it myself. But I am also aware that what may appear better on paper is no guarantee that it's better in reality (especially for the individual user).

Specs are important, they are a way of telling us the potential for a specific item. Several years ago, I went shopping for a new bed and boxspring. I did some Googling of the various, popular brands, then went to the stores. Do you know that there are at least FOUR ways of assembling a box spring? LOL...and while one boxspring may have more coils (the more obvious way of comparing), how those coils are connected to each other (or not, as the case may be), significantly impacts the boxspring performance. Also, the gauge of the metal used to make the spring, is important. I was dismayed when I began learning all this and ultimately decided "let me go out there and see what simply FEELS GOOD."

Honestly, I could care less if "RIM is catching up" or not. I care if the phone does what I like it to do, has the capability of doing some things that I may not yet percieve of wanting and, does this all in a manner that is appealing to me. Just because Brand X has a slightly faster processor or more memory, is not the deciding factor for me. Each of us has our own set of "deal breakers" and that may mean that something with "better" specs, may still fall into the deal breaker category.

I like how everyone is comparing the S3 to the Droid.. and talking about RIM finally catching up to the hardware specifications to a phone that will have been on the market for a year by the time the S3 is released. If you want to see if RIM is catching up, you need to find the specs from the Droid2 and make a comparison.

Playing "catch-up" is not a route to success. Sure RIM is on top right now... but at one time Palm was in a really good position in the Smartphone world.
    06-09-10 04:58 PM
    I think the notion of playing catch up, compared to just being outclassed is the difference between RIM and what seems is the new world way of phone manufacturing.

If all my Blackberry can do is push email, but has the same specs of the freebie flip phone then why should I be paying premium money for inferior hardware, and an app experience that might as well be limited to a few goodies and themes?

The Incredible and Droid both offer email, a significant variety and number of apps, as well as better hardware specs (which justifies hanging on to the phone for 2 years).

If the next Storm fails to impress (speed, dependability i.e. no mem leaks, crashes, etc) then I'd definitely be in the market for an Android experience. I've had a Droid Incredible for testing for a month and am amazed at how good this phone is compared to either my Storm 1 and 2 with the only downfall being battery life and not so instant email.
    06-10-10 11:14 AM
    I would put battery life right up there with voice/data coverage. The device is utterly useless without power or coverage.

I just don't understand why people see no issue, for example, with the Incredible battery life. Isn't that the whole point of a "mobile" device - to be mobile and not plugged in?

The battery tech needs to catch up.
    06-10-10 03:34 PM
259 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD