08-04-10 03:47 PM
259 ... 91011
tools
    Any further detail on the Odin refresh? will it have a bigger screen and faster CPU? Been looking around for info.
    07-28-10 11:19 PM
    Any further detail on the Odin refresh? will it have a bigger screen and faster CPU? Been looking around for info.
    This is a "refresh", and it looks like a last minute one at that. They are not going to retool the factory making the STORM2. They are just going to throw in a few updated components that they currently have available on other models. Only way we might see a higher resolution screen is if they already have one in production for what was to be the STORM3, and it fits the same case - but you can forget a larger screen.
    07-29-10 10:03 AM
    Oh that's a bit of a bummer, I've used a Storm 2 and don't really like it, the 3.2" display is a bit too small for my liking (not great eyes) since most phones out there are 3.7" to 4.3" and it was slow that it's comparible to my Pearl Flip. Guess I'll watch for the Slider.
    07-29-10 11:09 AM
    Humor me, please! When I've backed up my Storm2 in DM, downloaded and installed an updated OS, and restored from the backup, my programs are back on my phone. All my contacts, calendar info, emails, applications, preferences, are ALL back on the phone. What process are you doing that you don't have a way to restore your apps?
    OK, the only things that are backed up during DM's regular backup are emails, some settings, etc. The applications themselves are not backed up. I found this out the hard way a month or so ago when I got a warranty replacement S1. I did a plain backup, restored to the new phone, but none of my apps (paid for) were there.

If you are switching to a new BB with DM, then you can use the Device Switch Wizard which will copy your apps across to the new device, but doesn't make a back up/copy on the local hard drive.

If someone can explain how to back up the apps through DM or otherwise. Well, other than copying everything over the USB connection to the PC from the BB's PC Mode virtual drives. I'm not sure that would copy everything over properly.

Anyway, if someone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate knowing.

@RHChan84 - You said in another post that DM can back up 3rd party apps. Can you please explain how to do this? I don't see the option in DM. Thanks!

Scott
    07-29-10 10:14 PM
    OK, the only things that are backed up during DM's regular backup are emails, some settings, etc. The applications themselves are not backed up. I found this out the hard way a month or so ago when I got a warranty replacement S1. I did a plain backup, restored to the new phone, but none of my apps (paid for) were there.

If you are switching to a new BB with DM, then you can use the Device Switch Wizard which will copy your apps across to the new device, but doesn't make a back up/copy on the local hard drive.

If someone can explain how to back up the apps through DM or otherwise. Well, other than copying everything over the USB connection to the PC from the BB's PC Mode virtual drives. I'm not sure that would copy everything over properly.

@RHChan84 - You said in another post that DM can back up 3rd party apps. Can you please explain how to do this? I don't see the option in DM. Thanks!

Scott

Scott, you are incorrect. sorry, but third party apps are backed up during a backup/restore if done correctly. I don't know what u are doing wrong, but I can tell you that without an undue effort on my part, I've gotten everything back during the process. perhaps someone else could shed some light on what you are doing wrong.
    07-29-10 11:18 PM
    Scott, you are incorrect. sorry, but third party apps are backed up during a backup/restore if done correctly. I don't know what u are doing wrong, but I can tell you that without an undue effort on my part, I've gotten everything back during the process. perhaps someone else could shed some light on what you are doing wrong.

DM does NOT back up 3rd party apps at all during a backup/restore. They are two completely different things. App back up and Data backup, not the same thing. It is impossible to do both at the same time. However it is possible to do both backups individually with DM
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 07-30-10 at 12:59 AM.
    07-30-10 12:51 AM

Scott
    The 2nd part is for backing up your apps. You can always use bbsak also.

BACKUP DATA

1. Plug your blackberry in via usb to pc and start desktop manager

2. Click on backup and restore

3. Click on backup

4. Save to desktop or docs

BACKUP APPS

1. Go to main menu on desktop manager

2. Click on device switch wizard

3. Click switch blackberry devices

4. Click start under switch blackberry devices

5. Make sure that only third party applications is checked and click next

6. Wait for it to finish backing up. DO NOT CLOSE IT

7. Search your computer files and folders for your pin number. Make sure that you search all hidden files and folders

Vista and win 7 go to windows explorer > tools> folder options> click the view tab> and select show hidden files and folders.

On my pc the backup is always located at:

C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Temp\YOURPIN#H ERE

8. Copy this file somewhere on your pc docs or desktop

9. Now go back to desktop manager and hit cancel and close

Op can be found here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/th...w-pics-439709/
    07-30-10 12:56 AM
    To add on to prior explanation QNX is Unix based similiar to Linux based Android. So where you have memory leaks stability issues on BB those would go away with a QNX based kernel. At least in theory.
    That's not a given. You can still have badly written device drivers for example - a phone with a malfunctioning radio-chipset driver isn't much of a useful phone

Also, it's unclear whether the leaks are in the OS or the apps on the JVM. You can still have leaks in Java applications. Also, since BB apps can be multi-threaded, poorly-written apps can cause ****: a thread could spin, threads could lock up waiting for events or deadlock causing the app to become unresponsive...all sorts of failure scenarios. And since the back button doesn't mean "close" by default AFAIR, this results in all sorts of weird behaviour and a bad user experience.
    07-30-10 11:35 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm getting an idea of what you guys are talking about now.
    08-04-10 03:47 PM
259 ... 91011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD