08-04-10 03:47 PM
259 ... 891011
tools
    This means that LTE devices, whenever they actually arrive on the market, may offer better peak-to-average power ratio (PAPR) performance than WiMax devices, which are just hitting stores now.
    LTE is suppose to provide better battery life over current 3G networks and over Sprints WiMax Network.... will it make a difference that users will actually be able to see?
    07-22-10 03:21 PM
    Hey guys and gals. I saw this info posted by BBMChat on Twitter the other day and am surprised it hasn't been posted here yet.

Take it for what it is as I have not way to confirm or deny any of it but I just thought I would share it with you.

"S3 specs as of 5/10/10 1ghz, 8gb dev mem 512mb+ app mem, 5 mp camera, mobile graphics chip, "enhanced screen input" higher res, +battery"

Twitter / BBMCHAT #contestking: S3 specs as of 5/10/10 1gh ...

"also plan on seeing leaks within 1-2 months on the s3 and those specs can change but only improve"

Twitter / BBMCHAT #contestking: also plan on seeing leaks ...
    It's believeable. Because if the come out with anything less the S3 will be a joke n I am sure they know it...
    07-22-10 07:22 PM
    We don't know about branding yet (which device will be called the S3) but it seems clear from what has been leaked that this falls device will be an S2 with enough memory to run OS6, and spring 2011 will be the LTE device with more modern smartphone specs.

Will it be enough? Who knows. To be fair specs can change prior to launch (especially this far ahead). From RIM's point of view, launching a very new device with Verizon's marketing muscle behind it due to LTE phone rollout can only help them, even if the average consumer isn't going to see the benefits for a while.
    07-23-10 02:37 AM
    I'm starting to see how this is all going to pan out. First, RIM finds out that BBOS6 won't run on the Storm2 and stops testing. Then, RIM wants to get a phone out for the holidays but the Storm3 we all really want either won't be ready or VZW wants to launch it with the LTE launch (understandable, IMO). SOOOOO, RIM decides to do the refresh of the S2 and bump up its specs so it can run BBOS6 as their holiday phone, and call it the S3. Then, when LTE launches on handsets around March, bring on the bad boy we all really want and call it the Storm4G. Whaddya think?
    07-23-10 10:07 AM
    That's about how I see it panning out (although possibly they'll choose to just call it an upgraded S2 in the fall?).
    07-23-10 12:07 PM
    I think the lte storm want be called a storm at all.
    its a good opportunity to call it something new and to start a new touchscreen line
    07-23-10 12:29 PM
    If the rumors are true and it doesn't have surepress, then I'd say go ahead an call it something else. If it does tho, The Storm4G sounds good to me. Would coincide really well with the launch of the 4G network. I'm sure verizon would like to have a couple of phones the that tagline on there. Who knows, maybe we'll see a Droid4G too
    07-23-10 01:35 PM
    want want want..
    07-23-10 02:05 PM
    want want want..
    Which one?
    07-23-10 03:41 PM
    This is exactly what people here have been hypothesizing for many months now, nothing new here. Yes, I agree (though, I hate it).

I'm starting to see how this is all going to pan out. First, RIM finds out that BBOS6 won't run on the Storm2 and stops testing. Then, RIM wants to get a phone out for the holidays but the Storm3 we all really want either won't be ready or VZW wants to launch it with the LTE launch (understandable, IMO). SOOOOO, RIM decides to do the refresh of the S2 and bump up its specs so it can run BBOS6 as their holiday phone, and call it the S3. Then, when LTE launches on handsets around March, bring on the bad boy we all really want and call it the Storm4G. Whaddya think?
    07-23-10 04:05 PM
    these specs need to find there way into the 9800
    07-23-10 04:21 PM
    Agree 100%.
    07-23-10 08:17 PM
    Perhaps, and tho I like the S4G concept, it will fall into the new Torch name? Especially losing SurePress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 10:08 PM
    Yeah I'm kinda disgusted about that situation if it happens.

1GHz CPU would be a good thing, no more 8 minute boots (I deal with that on my freaking Pearl Flip). Most of the recent non-Blackberry phones are around 1GHz now and if you test drive some of the newer Androids (2.1 or so) they're blazingly fast!
    Last edited by sookster54; 07-27-10 at 10:40 PM.
    07-27-10 10:33 PM
    Yeah I'm kinda disgusted about that situation if it happens.

1GHz CPU would be a good thing, no more 8 minute boots (I deal with that on my freaking Pearl Flip). Most of the recent non-Blackberry phones are around 1GHz now and if you test drive some of the newer Androids (2.1 or so) they're blazingly fast!
    Agreed on disgust.

Personally I couldn't care less about the ghz of the chip. RIM never utilized the hardware in the storm 1 properly. (some of that I think stems from the S2 being so close in specs so they didn't let S1 live up to its hardware potential to make the gap appear broader. I am talking about multitouch on the virtual keyboard and OpenGL support for instance)

So as long as the hardware gets used and the device performs well I am happy.

I am more excited about the possibility of a new QNX kernel.

07-28-10 07:36 AM
    Agreed on disgust.

Personally I couldn't care less about the ghz of the chip. RIM never utilized the hardware in the storm 1 properly. (some of that I think stems from the S2 being so close in specs so they didn't let S1 live up to its hardware potential to make the gap appear broader. I am talking about multitouch on the virtual keyboard and OpenGL support for instance)

So as long as the hardware gets used and the device performs well I am happy.

I am more excited about the possibility of a new QNX kernel.

I'm kindof a dunce when it comes to programming... can you explain what the QNX kernel will do? Heck, what does a kernel do?
    07-28-10 12:31 PM
    After playing with it for only 15 minutes on the DroidX at my local VZW store, BB REALLY needs to get a version of Swype done for touchscreen BB's ASAP! It is amazing. For that matter many of the 3rd party keyboards available on Android are way beyond what is available for the Storm (BlindTouch and SwiftKey).

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...yboard-roundup

Anyway, if RIM wants to compete they need to convince these firms to make versions for BB touchscreen devices.

Scott
    07-28-10 12:39 PM
    I'm kindof a dunce when it comes to programming... can you explain what the QNX kernel will do? Heck, what does a kernel do?
    The kernel is the heart of the operating system, QNX has a long history in the operating system business and I used to work with it in the late 90's. Never thought QNX would get involved with cell phones though.
    07-28-10 02:15 PM
    After playing with it for only 15 minutes on the DroidX at my local VZW store, BB REALLY needs to get a version of Swype done for touchscreen BB's ASAP! It is amazing. For that matter many of the 3rd party keyboards available on Android are way beyond what is available for the Storm (BlindTouch and SwiftKey).

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...yboard-roundup

Anyway, if RIM wants to compete they need to convince these firms to make versions for BB touchscreen devices.

Scott
    Yup, SureType doesn't cut it, on my Pearl Flip I type waaaaaaaaaaay faster with multitap than SureType and with just 1 thumb. If I type with SureType on and try to type the name "Kurt" it ends up "jiet" lol it drives me nuts!

I played with Swype a little, I'm jealous because I don't have a phone with that and I hope to get the Desire or some other Android phone soon.
    07-28-10 02:18 PM
    Id like to have a BB with the screen size and sensitivity of a Droid X.

No other platform protects your data like a BB. Both from a backup and security standpoint. I can back up everything on my local PC. Its the only brand that does this. The droid forces you to upload your private info on google. Ya that's secure.

Any word on whether RIM will venture into this emerging Market?

Thoughts?
    07-28-10 04:01 PM
    If you can backup EVERYTHING on your PC, that is better than I can do. The DM Backup doesn't backup apps and some settings on my 9530 (as I found out today). How are you getting "everything" (other than copying to your PC via USB in "PC mode")?

Just out of curiosity, what "emerging market" are you wondering if RIM will venture into?

Scott
    07-28-10 04:38 PM
    If you can backup EVERYTHING on your PC, that is better than I can do. The DM Backup doesn't backup apps and some settings on my 9530 (as I found out today). How are you getting "everything" (other than copying to your PC via USB in "PC mode")?

Just out of curiosity, what "emerging market" are you wondering if RIM will venture into?

Scott
    Humor me, please! When I've backed up my Storm2 in DM, downloaded and installed an updated OS, and restored from the backup, my programs are back on my phone. All my contacts, calendar info, emails, applications, preferences, are ALL back on the phone. What process are you doing that you don't have a way to restore your apps?
    07-28-10 05:06 PM
    Humor me, please! When I've backed up my Storm2 in DM, downloaded and installed an updated OS, and restored from the backup, my programs are back on my phone. All my contacts, calendar info, emails, applications, preferences, are ALL back on the phone. What process are you doing that you don't have a way to restore your apps?
    ive never had a problem backing up my s1. i actually just transfered EVERYTHING from my s1 to an s2. apps and everything using DM.
    07-28-10 05:20 PM
    To add on to prior explanation QNX is Unix based similiar to Linux based Android. So where you have memory leaks stability issues on BB those would go away with a QNX based kernel. At least in theory.

Also I think the startup time would be seconds as opposed to minutes. Again, in theory.

07-28-10 06:36 PM

Scott
    When using the backup/restore, it does not back up apps. But DM has the ability to backup 3rd party apps. I've done it PLENTY of times.
    07-28-10 10:42 PM
259 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD