06-29-10 02:57 PM
92 1234
tools
    As a BB fanatic, I had some thoughts on this a few months ago. If anyone is interested, here's what I wrote.

Earnest advice to a billion dollar corporation from a three hit a week blog
    Excellent article. You may have gotten well over three hits on your blog this week
    05-27-10 03:03 AM
    I didn't say the majority of these features would be important to all consumers. Those are just examples of what some people may be looking for in a smart phone. For instance, USB charging is very important to me. I hate anything proprietary (hence why I refuse to buy anything from Apple), and would rather use standardized charging cables. My bluetooth headset uses the same microUSB socket. It saves me from having to bring another charger while travelling.
    I hear what you're saying.

The concern I have for RIM is their hardware and software is slowly lagging behind the competition. Being a very conservative company, it's becoming increasingly difficult for them to catch up.

New iPhone: Front facing camera for video chat
    New Android: (Froyo) The phone is now a roving hotspot
    New Blackberry: Tour with a trackpad and wifi

The above scenario is not one for success.
    05-27-10 10:05 AM
    Excellent article. You may have gotten well over three hits on your blog this week
    Much thanks, I'll have more to say about "Does Blackberry stand a chance" in the future, so check back there sometime.
    05-27-10 10:06 AM

The concern I have for RIM is their hardware and software is slowly lagging behind the competition. Being a very conservative company, it's becoming increasingly difficult for them to catch up.

well there's two sides to the story
    they did push out a phone that was ahead of the competition

it was the Storm1, which shipped with the buggiest OS ever.
    05-27-10 10:24 AM
    well there's two sides to the story
    they did push out a phone that was ahead of the competition

it was the Storm1, which shipped with the buggiest OS ever.
    So because the Storm has a clickable screen it was ahead of the competition? Now i love to select then click i dont think that BB was ahead of the competition.
    05-27-10 06:45 PM
    they did push out a phone that was ahead of the competition. it was the Storm1
    THE funniest post in the HISTORY of Crackberry!!
    05-27-10 06:50 PM

The thing is, in terms of the actual hardware, a BlackBerry has a lot to offer other than top end specs. The convenience keys, for example, are a big perk for me. The LED is also very important. The standardized micro USB port saves me from a ton of headaches. I don't even have to mention the keyboards. While Android phones have fast processors, they offer little else outside the software. The iphone is also particularly "bare bones". Now in terms of the actual software, that can be argued about until the cows come home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-27-10 at 07:35 PM.
    05-27-10 07:32 PM
    I love my convenience keys. I hate the iPhone with 1 botton.

The indecator light is nice but honestly how many times do you look at your phone and see the light NOT flashing and still check to see if you missed anything?

I would give up my indecator light in a heart beat if they told me they would give me a 1ghz snapdragon but they had to get rid of the light.
    05-27-10 10:15 PM
    Now in terms of the actual software, that can be argued about until the cows come home.
    No, actually it can't.
    05-27-10 10:20 PM
    I love my convenience keys. I hate the iPhone with 1 botton.

The indecator light is nice but honestly how many times do you look at your phone and see the light NOT flashing and still check to see if you missed anything?

I would give up my indecator light in a heart beat if they told me they would give me a 1ghz snapdragon but they had to get rid of the light.
    Well, I doubt it would ever come down to a decision like that, but I'd never give up the LED just for a faster processor. The LED adds to the basic functionality of the device. The processor, on the other hand, just makes some things a little snappier.

05-28-10 12:02 AM
    The thing is, in terms of the actual hardware, a BlackBerry has a lot to offer other than top end specs. The convenience keys, for example, are a big perk for me. The LED is also very important. The standardized micro USB port saves me from a ton of headaches. I don't even have to mention the keyboards. While Android phones have fast processors, they offer little else outside the software. The iphone is also particularly "bare bones". Now in terms of the actual software, that can be argued about until the cows come home.

RIM's hardware (and this is why I think they're in decline) is falling by the wayside. In TWO WEEKS, we'll have an iPhone with a front facing camera and 900px screen rez. The Evo 4G also has a front facing camera, HDMI out, and a monster 4.3 inch screen. Oh, it's also 4G! RIM, just released a Tour with wi-fi. 2010 and your selling point is, "unlike the Tour, this has wi-fi"?

There's no way RIM is going to remain relevant without kicking their specs into high gear. The further they fall back though, the tougher it will be to catch up. These companies will be on their 2nd and 3rd generations of vid chat phones by the time Rim introduces their first gen.

As far as the points you made above, almost every Android phone I'm aware of has microusb, and a multi color notification light. Convenience keys and keyboards are a matter of taste, so I'll leave that decision to the individual. I do miss the ability to skip to the next song by holding down the volume rocker.

I loved me some BB, and I think that's what frustrates me so much. It hurts to watch them fall out of first place.

Here's another post which includes some thoughts on RIM's future.
    05-28-10 08:16 AM
    subtech, I think the Storm1 established the reason why RIM maintains it's current pace, to an extent.
    05-28-10 09:53 AM
    I'm worried for them. Their upcoming lineup looks ****. A Tour 2, Pearl 3G, a slider and a flip-phone.

Hope they're just being extremely elusive with the Storm 3 and they're going to release something revolutionary but I have a feeling we're going to get a minimally upgraded Storm 2. :-/
    05-28-10 10:24 AM
    No other smartphone or device can match the security or central managment of a Blackberry in a corporate environment. On the consumer side, they should just let it go and focus where the money is.
    05-28-10 10:49 AM
    No other smartphone or device can match the security or central managment of a Blackberry in a corporate environment. On the consumer side, they should just let it go and focus where the money is.
    I think apple has proven where the money is.
    05-28-10 03:20 PM
    I think apple has proven where the money is.
    Apple doesn't make the money from smartphones that RIM does. Apple has proven that they can make a great product and they have a following, that is all. They will not (any time soon), pose a threat to RIM in the corporate environment.
    05-28-10 04:11 PM
    Just give it time we have great things coming our way think about it how long has 5.0 been out ... and already 6.0? no 5.5 ? one that sounds a awful lot like they need a os to be able to hold up to something new ... humm that makes sense.....and ok evo 4g.... its on sprint... nuff said and i-phone 4g... = squared ipod.. and lets see multi-tasking on that ... battery life will epic FAIL! and IMO this whole S3 thing.... i believe this is 9800 is gonna be the closest we get for a while but as far as jumping ship and going to another phone trust me I play with every phone their is and my sim card always goes back into the blackberry tell ya what give it 6 months then you can come back and thank me and ps only bad thing about the 9800 .... how can we get a otter box on a slider =(
    05-29-10 12:52 AM
    RIM's hardware (and this is why I think they're in decline) is falling by the wayside. In TWO WEEKS, we'll have an iPhone with a front facing camera and 900px screen rez. The Evo 4G also has a front facing camera, HDMI out, and a monster 4.3 inch screen. Oh, it's also 4G! RIM, just released a Tour with wi-fi. 2010 and your selling point is, "unlike the Tour, this has wi-fi"?
    Quite frankly, I don't see the use of a front-facing camera... RIM is too bandwidth-conscious to consider video calling, and I really don't see myself using a feature like that. Larger screens aren't necessarily a good thing. While you obviously have an easier time reading the screen, the phone may become too large and cumbersome. The main thing I like about my Storm is how easy it is to operate with one hand.

There's no way RIM is going to remain relevant without kicking their specs into high gear. The further they fall back though, the tougher it will be to catch up. These companies will be on their 2nd and 3rd generations of vid chat phones by the time Rim introduces their first gen.
    They've remained not only relevant, but one of the market leaders without anything fancy in their phones. People that buy BlackBerrys most likely aren't the kind of people that would look for high-end specs in a phone (tech geeks and early adopters).

As far as the points you made above, almost every Android phone I'm aware of has microusb, and a multi color notification light. Convenience keys and keyboards are a matter of taste, so I'll leave that decision to the individual. I do miss the ability to skip to the next song by holding down the volume rocker.
    I'm aware of the LEDs and MicroUSB ports on Androids. I was referring more to the iPhone.

Anyways, the point is, good hardware doesn't just mean having the fastest processors, the most megapixels, the biggest screens, the highest resolution, etc... While I wouldn't complain about having all those on a BlackBerry (unless it has a negative effect on speed or battery power), what's more important to me is the actual usability of the device. For example, I'd find a lot more use out of having a SureType keyboard and convenience keys, rather than an 8MP camera and a front-facing camera. No matter how hard I try, I just can't use the camera as much as I use the actual keys on the phone...
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-29-10 at 10:24 AM.
    05-29-10 03:13 AM
    If you look at rim's history of devices, they have never been on the cutting edge as far as hardware specs because the fundamental idea behind a blackberry is that it is a communication tool and it is a bit hard to communicate if you battery died halfway through the day.

They continue to upgrade and improve their devices and while some may make a good case that they don't upgrade things fast enough, anyone expecting them to suddenly compete at the high end of the smartphone spec arms race is going to be disappointed because that's where the likes of htc have to play because they are trying to establish themselves.

Look at the iphone, other than a short while when it launches (at most) they aren't the highest spec either, they have their established brand and fanbase too and don't have to try and prove anything either unlike the makers of android phones.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if the storm 3 was intended to be a shorter-lived product that was just there to freshen up the storm range to a more os6 suitable spec so boosting the memory to 512mb, the camera to 5mp, wireless-n and so on to keep up with the newer models like the slider. We have already had rumors about storm 4, so it doesn't seem too unlikely to think that this is the kind of idea they have, rim are about providing options with a range of devices rather than making headlines with each new one, more of a nokia approach than an apple or htc idea.
    05-29-10 06:30 AM
    Quite frankly, I don't see the use of a front-facing camera... RIM is too bandwidth-conscious to consider video calling, and I really don't see myself using a feature like that. Larger screens aren't necessarily a good thing. While you obviously have an easier time reading the screen, the phone may become too large and cumbersome. The main thing I like about my Storm is how easy it is to operate with one hand.
    The front facing camera is simply a variable for a sweet "oh snap! It does what?" feature. (Although I think it will eventually have practical business applications)

iPhone: Oh snap! It has a front facing camera for video chat
    Android: Oh snap! Your phone is a mobile hotspot that 5 devices can connect to
    Blackberry: (For example) Oh snap! It has a liquid lens camera! (Which RIM has been rumored to be playing around with)

I think they need to have a competitive and unique feature of their own to remain relevant. I think Surepress, for example, was a wonderful attempt whether it panned out or not.

They've remained not only relevant, but one of the market leaders without anything fancy in their phones. People that buy BlackBerrys most likely aren't the kind of people that would look for high-end specs in a phone (tech geeks and early adopters).
    They're definitely market leaders, but I think they're really coasting on momentum alone at this point. Apple and Google are just beginning to pick up major steam in the mobile area. (It's only been 3 and 2 years respectively)

As far as high-end, I'm a tech geek/early adopter and I LOVED blackberrys. I also think the 8320 Curve was an incredibly advanced device when it was released. 2mpg cam WITH flash, removable SD card, high res screen, wi-fi and UMA calling over internet?

Anyways, the point is, good hardware doesn't just mean having the fastest processors, the most megapixels, the biggest screens, the highest resolution, etc... While I wouldn't complain about having all those on a BlackBerry (unless it has a negative effect on speed or battery power), what's more important to me is the actual usability of the device. For example, I'd find a lot more use out of having a SureType keyboard and convenience keys, rather than an 8MP camera and a front-facing camera. No matter how hard I try, I just can't use the camera as much as I use the actual keys on the phone...
    Ideally it would combine all those features. I absolutely agree that usability is the number one factor, AND that it's a decision left to the individual. Every defines that word differently because we all have different needs.

That said, I think that many other companies are being more aggressive at pursuing better overall usability. At the same time, I don't envision RIM's incremental "Palm-esque" approach keeping them in the game in the long run.
    06-03-10 11:48 AM
    If you look at rim's history of devices, they have never been on the cutting edge as far as hardware specs because the fundamental idea behind a blackberry is that it is a communication tool and it is a bit hard to communicate if you battery died halfway through the day.
    Well every smartphone is a "communication tool", the question is how well does it do that task? BB's are unparalleled at handling email, but the problem for RIM is twofold.

1) Email itself is losing relevance (it's certainly not going anywhere though) as other methods of communication reach traction. For example CNN used to use an email alert, now it's RSS instead, etc

2) Other platforms are catching up to RIM level push email. On the Droid, my Gmail is instantly pushed, and all other accts are set to 15 min polling. It does the job almost as well as my old 'berry. RIM really needs to teach their "ponies" some other tricks.

They continue to upgrade and improve their devices and while some may make a good case that they don't upgrade things fast enough, anyone expecting them to suddenly compete at the high end of the smartphone spec arms race is going to be disappointed because that's where the likes of htc have to play because they are trying to establish themselves.
    I'm not talking about competing at the high end of the smartphone race (which they seemed to do very well up until recently), I'm saying that RIM needs to be slightly aggressive at the very least. I think this is a once in a decade shift, and if RIM wants to REMAIN a leader (or relevant) in the next cycle, they're going to need to hang with the boys leading the charge (Apple & Google for the most part)

Ever watch the Tour de France? You know when a pack of 10 riders make a crazy move and pulls away from the pack? They munch up some energy and resources, but now a minute ahead, they can slow their pace back down a little. It's kind of like that.

Look at the iphone, other than a short while when it launches (at most) they aren't the highest spec either, they have their established brand and fanbase too and don't have to try and prove anything either unlike the makers of android phones.
    All new high end phones compete until something shinier comes along. My concern is that RIM's hardware is falling a generation behind. They're not even going to have the latest and greatest phone out (if only for a week).

It wouldn't actually surprise me if the storm 3 was intended to be a shorter-lived product that was just there to freshen up the storm range to a more os6 suitable spec so boosting the memory to 512mb, the camera to 5mp, wireless-n and so on to keep up with the newer models like the slider. We have already had rumors about storm 4, so it doesn't seem too unlikely to think that this is the kind of idea they have, rim are about providing options with a range of devices rather than making headlines with each new one, more of a nokia approach than an apple or htc idea.
    I'd say "providing options with a range of devices" is a crown that Android is about to take from everyone.
    06-03-10 02:14 PM
    Agree! It seems as if RIM is stuck on the "we have the best email" when the world is moving around them, and they are getting left behind.

How many of you answer your email the second you get it?
    06-03-10 03:26 PM
    Getting email instantly does not make it "push email". That's only half the point of push email. The other half is being able to receive messages and notifications from multiple sources with little impact on battery life because it all gets "pushed" to your phone by a NOC.

As for the "left behind" comments, the whole point I was trying to make was that not everyone cares about high-end specs. A lot of people just want a phone that's actually good at communication. You don't need a 1ghz processor or 8mp camera to chat with someone.

I also don't understand how Android has the widest range of devices. They have like 50 different touchscreen devices, and a couple with crappy slideout full keyboards.

06-03-10 06:19 PM
    I also don't understand how Android has the widest range of devices. They have like 50 different touchscreen devices, and a couple with crappy slideout full keyboards.
    Unlike RIM who has, what is it 10 dif models of a full QWERTY.

If all you want from your phone is to make calls and get messages you can find much cheaper phones to get and smaller than a BB that make phone call just as good.

I understand that your use of your phone is diffrent than the next guy, but to see what other people are making and to look back at RIM.

Is your BB perfect? No we all know our BB isnt perfect but the only way to move in that direction is to move a head, and RIM is really slow at that lately.
    Last edited by PensHockey; 06-03-10 at 09:21 PM.
    06-03-10 09:16 PM
    Unlike RIM who has, what is it 10 dif models of a full QWERTY.
    Seriousely?
    QWERTY
    SurePress
    T9
    SurePress flip
    Touch screen
    and upcoming:
    QWERTY flip
    Touch slide
    06-03-10 10:18 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD