06-29-10 02:57 PM
92 123 ...
tools
    I want to know what everybody thinks about Blackberrys chances are withthe Storm 3 going against the HTC Evo and the iPhone 4G?

With the little info we have can Blackberry actualy make the S3 compete with these phones? 8mp camera, HD video, HDMI out, Snapdragon, 480x800 res. front facing camera.
    So...
    Does Blackberry stand a chance against these phones?
    05-20-10 11:17 PM
    IMO its too early to tell there are literally no details of the storm3 that have anything to back them up, (Not that i don't believe people who say they have used it, but we don't know what stage of development it was in at the time) no pictures or video have leaked, and there hasn't even been a leak of it showing up in any carriers systems. Now personally i believe that an 8mp camera is pointless in a phone due to the fact that almost everyone i know has a phone with a camera but if they want good pictures they also have a digital camera which 8mp cant compete with. So basically imo with no details yet of the storm3 its just not possibly to say if they will be able to compete, but i don't see rim backing down from= the consumer market i believe the storm3 will be completely geared towards consumers and hey you never know they could put a front facing and normal 9mp camera on the storm3 for all we know at this point
    05-21-10 09:04 AM
    OF course it stands a chance, if you mean when it comes to people getting phones for non phone things, such as gaming, and web use. Then, I DOUBT the S3 will be the top in either of those categories, or even mulitmedia. While it most likely will be last, it won't be DEAD last, but one thing it will have is what all other BBs have and what keeps them at the forefront of businesses. Not to mention, the status that comes with it.

I dont picture too many CEO's walking into a meeting with his iphone
    05-22-10 12:49 AM
    For example eric schmidt doesn't use android...he uses bb as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 05:30 AM
    But with the track record they have i dont see them making the S3 with a 8mp camera. I dont see them using Snapdragon (maybe intel atom).

With them focusing so hard on security (i understand that is there bread and butter) they are falling behind with other companies. If they want to make a phone just for the CEO's they will have that whole demographic no problem. But they are going to need to pick up the pace if they want to sell to the majority of the population.

I love Blackberry, but it sucks to be stuck watching all these great new phones come out and to see Blackberry come out with a Slider and a Flip phone.
    05-22-10 12:02 PM
    blackberry stance a huge chance all these other phones are missing one big thing and i dont know why its not mentioned more often and that is the keyboard not everybody believe it or not wants or even like touchscreens rim makes the best keyboard on the market hands down not any of theses other phones come close and the phone it self just works its like a horse it just has a great feal in your hand. i'm in canada and we where just at the mall and anyone that was pulling out there phone to make a call or check email or what ever it was a ratio of about 4 to 1 today blackberry that i saw and the majority was those new curves
    05-22-10 04:26 PM
    I don't think Blackberry intends to lead next generation of phones. They are just going to follow it. Unfortunately, they are aren't following it close enough. I can see the Storm 3 having higher res screen and larger camera (prob not 8mp though) but hdmi out, i don't think so. I don't think BB will ever have an hdmi out. I don't find hdmi a necessity for phones...if anything hdmi is just s stopgap until wireless hd gets implemented in devices and phones.
    05-22-10 06:27 PM
    I understand that some people like the feel of a real keyboard, just like some people like the Slider and the Flip BB. But if they only made phones for that demographic they would go under. They need to make headway in the tech world.

The fact that they have so many phones bugs me and makes me happy. I love the fact that you can have your pick of BB. Touchscreen, Keyboard, small, big, flip, slider. You can have the BB you like. But on the other hand how many diffrent models of a full qwerty keyboard do they need?

They need to have a phone to stand up against all others. People want touchscreens. People want memory, high res camera, video support, fast web browsing.
    05-22-10 06:27 PM
    Unfortunately, the Storm 3 will probably have NONE of those specs you mentioned.
    05-22-10 11:06 PM
    I want to know what everybody thinks about Blackberrys chances are withthe Storm 3 going against the HTC Evo and the iPhone 4G?

With the little info we have can Blackberry actualy make the S3 compete with these phones? 8mp camera, HD video, HDMI out, Snapdragon, 480x800 res. front facing camera.
    So...
    Does Blackberry stand a chance against these phones?
    So a smart phone should only be judged by its specs?
    05-23-10 03:07 AM
    So a smart phone should only be judged by its specs?
    Well thats how most things are judged.
    05-23-10 06:46 AM
    People that actually want and need to use it as a phone/email device will always go to the BlackBerry. The iPhone, EVO, Droid, etc.. "toy" phones IMO. If all you like doing is playing ping pong and rocking lil' wayne then those devices are great. They do nothing for people that actually need their device to do business.
    05-23-10 07:12 PM
    Not to mention, the status that comes with it.
    Status? Really?
    05-23-10 07:14 PM
    As a BB fanatic, I had some thoughts on this a few months ago. If anyone is interested, here's what I wrote.

Earnest advice to a billion dollar corporation from a three hit a week blog
    05-25-10 12:48 PM
    As a BB fanatic, I had some thoughts on this a few months ago. If anyone is interested, here's what I wrote.

Earnest advice to a billion dollar corporation from a three hit a week blog
    WORD!!!!!

I want BB to come out with the S3 and blow me away. But i just dont see it happening and come July when my contract is up i am going to Sprint to get the Evo unless they do.
    05-25-10 02:37 PM
    Well thats how most things are judged.
    Maybe if you're a tech geek or an early adopter, which your average consumer isn't. Specs are but a small piece of the overall puzzle when people consider their smartphone purchases:

- Does it feel right in the hand?
    - Does it come in the colour I want?
    - How good is the call quality?
    - Does it have a full keyboard?
    - Does it have a touch screen?
    - Does it have tons of apps?
    - Does it have a good browser?
    - Does it have good battery life?
    - Does it have a good media player?
    - Does it have a good speaker phone?
    - Does it have good bluetooth support?
    - What kind of LCD screen does it have?
    - Can it multitask well?
    - Does it have a replaceable battery?
    - Can it charge by USB?
    - Does it have an LED indicator?
    - Does it have pinch zooming?
    - Does it have built in turn-by-turn navigation?
    - Does it do push?
    - Does it have a good camera?
    - Etc...

The point is, there's no "universal" reason to get any particular smartphone. Some people may get BlackBerrys for the push architecture, others may get it for the keyboard. Some people may get iPhones for the thousands of apps, others may get it to replace their iPod. Some people may get an Incredible for the high-end specs, others may get it because they want a more open platform.

Besides, megapixels on phone cameras mean very little, and is mostly a marketing gimmick, but that's a whole other argument.
    05-25-10 03:36 PM
    Maybe if you're a tech geek or an early adopter, which your average consumer isn't. Specs are but a small piece of the overall puzzle when people consider their smartphone purchases:

- Can it multitask well?
    - Can it charge by USB?
    - Does it do push?
    - Etc...

The point is, there's no "universal" reason to get any particular smartphone. Some people may get BlackBerrys for the push architecture, others may get it for the keyboard. Some people may get iPhones for the thousands of apps, others may get it to replace their iPod. Some people may get an Incredible for the high-end specs, others may get it because they want a more open platform.

Besides, megapixels on phone cameras mean very little, and is mostly a marketing gimmick, but that's a whole other argument.
    Maybe I'm a cynic, but I'd wager that the majority of those features aren't of importance to the average consumer. I'd love to see someone even explain the difference between a capacitive, resistive, TFT, and AMOLED screens. Speakerphone? USB charging? Replaceable battery? I doubt more than a handful of people factor that into their buying decision.

I'm going with the "it" phone of the day being the driving force.
    05-26-10 11:14 AM
    Maybe I'm a cynic, but I'd wager that the majority of those features aren't of importance to the average consumer. I'd love to see someone even explain the difference between a capacitive, resistive, TFT, and AMOLED screens. Speakerphone? USB charging? Replaceable battery? I doubt more than a handful of people factor that into their buying decision.

Actually, it is pretty easy to tell the difference between capacitive screens and resistive and the user may never know the name of either, but they will know which one they have when they have to try to use a ******* stylus. as for speakerphone: which phones do NOT have one? even my old 8130 had one
    05-26-10 12:35 PM
    Actually, it is pretty easy to tell the difference between capacitive screens and resistive and the user may never know the name of either, but they will know which one they have when they have to try to use a ******* stylus. as for speakerphone: which phones do NOT have one? even my old 8130 had one
    Yes, they'll know the difference between "use a stylus" and multitouch. What i was saying is there's a short list of "on the side of the box" features that are important, but things like a removable battery and USB charger are not.
    05-26-10 12:59 PM

- Can it multitask well?
    - Can it charge by USB?
    - Does it do push?
    - Etc...

I understand that people have dif tastes. That is why specs are what you use to compare devices. Show me the specs on the new flip and they will probably look good, but i wouldnt be caught dead with that phone.
    05-26-10 05:03 PM

I didn't say the majority of these features would be important to all consumers. Those are just examples of what some people may be looking for in a smart phone. For instance, USB charging is very important to me. I hate anything proprietary (hence why I refuse to buy anything from Apple), and would rather use standardized charging cables. My bluetooth headset uses the same microUSB socket. It saves me from having to bring another charger while travelling.
    05-26-10 07:36 PM
    I understand that people have dif tastes. That is why specs are what you use to compare devices. Show me the specs on the new flip and they will probably look good, but i wouldnt be caught dead with that phone.
    That's exactly my point. The new flip phone could have a useless 8MP camera, and a 1ghz processor. Does that mean you'll buy it?
    05-26-10 07:38 PM
    That's exactly my point. The new flip phone could have a useless 8MP camera, and a 1ghz processor. Does that mean you'll buy it?
    Some people are loving the new flip.

But do you think you will be able to enjoy your phone on travels more if it has a 1ghz processor, 8mp camera to send pics to loved ones, streaming media to watch the Stanley Cup Finals live, play your favorite game while sitting in the airport?

With out the spec that will give you the ability to do all these thing you have just a phone that you hope to love for what it can do not for what you wish it could do.

You can have a phone that fits in your hand perfectly, feels amazing but if its doesnt have guts to stand up with everyone else what are you left with?

Now the question was, do you think BB will come out in the next year with a phone that can compete with the Evo/iPhone4G on every level?
    05-26-10 07:54 PM
    But do you think you will be able to enjoy your phone on travels more if it has a 1ghz processor, 8mp camera to send pics to loved ones, streaming media to watch the Stanley Cup Finals live, play your favorite game while sitting in the airport?
    An 8MP camera is pretty much useless unless you were doing a lot of cropping and photo editing. If you're just taking a snapshot of something and sending it to someone over your phone, even a 2mp camera would suffice for that. In fact, the lower the picture resolution, the faster you could send it to other people. 8MP is a marketing gimmick, nothing more. Cell phone cameras simply don't have a big enough lens to take quality pictures, no matter how many megapixels are stuffed into it.

I can also watch streaming media just fine on my Storm2, and I don't really play any games on it. I'd rather just watch a movie or something if I'm sitting at an airport.

With that said, I won't complain if they throw in a faster processor into our phones. I won't complain if they don't either. I'm completely indifferent about the specs, as long as the phone runs fine.
    05-26-10 08:07 PM
    Totaly agree. All the crap with the S1, I love it. It plays movies, works as a phone, i get my emails, play games, listen to music does what i want.

If you can give me a phone that does all that i want it to do and do it faster and smoother. Well than why the he11 not?
    05-26-10 08:31 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD