View Poll Results: Do you think the training slide is a fake?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 34.44%
  • No

59 65.56%
08-31-10 07:49 AM
48 12
tools
    lol wish we could someone inside a blackberry factory to see whats coming off the production line and being readied for shipping
    08-08-10 11:45 AM
    lol wish we could someone inside a blackberry factory to see whats coming off the production line and being readied for shipping
    We did. he disappeared without a trace.
    08-08-10 02:18 PM
    We did. he disappeared without a trace.
    recruit another one god damn it lol
    08-09-10 04:09 AM
    recruit another one god damn it lol
    Same thing happened.
    08-09-10 12:36 PM
    I am with you. But apparently RIM needs something out now that supports BB6 and the LTE device won't be for a few more months at the earliest. If VZW doesn't want any LTE handsets out until 2011 then I can see why RIM needs a refreshed S2 out now that supports BB6.
    It does actually make good business sense for them to have more os6-optimal hardware out in time for the busy holiday period even if the expectation is that it will be more of a stopgap product and that they will then have a storm 3 out only 6 months after it.

Also, for the people wondering why we haven't really had many leaks about it yet, some stuff will have got mixed together with other storm and torch rumours, not to mention the obvious point that an incremental product is going to be a much shorter project than the one for torch that was also their first os6 product too.
    08-10-10 06:59 AM
    going by the slide's staing that an "ember" release is on the cards, i'll assume its either gonna be september or novermber, if its september then no doubt we'll start seeing a few more leaks crop up in a few weeks, or RIM may even call a press release like they did for the torch??

don't suppose the legendary Sal has any new news on it??
    08-10-10 09:34 AM
    I don't think they would hold a press conference for a device refresh. I wouldn't even be surprised if the device refresh gets held back to make more improvements after lukwarm response to the slider. If they quietly release an updated S2 in September and then the S3 in early 2011 as one of the first LTE devices with comprable specs and performance to the competition than they are okay. If the refresh is the S3 then they need to pull it back, up the chipset, even if they underclock, increase the resolution, and go to 1 gb of RAM. Slower chips and low res screens with just enough memory may work on the QWeRTY line, but a storm would be expected to have something more as it is meant to compete with the droids and iPhones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 11:46 AM
    IMO they(RIM) are in trouble the way it's looking. From the reviews of BGR and Engadget the Torch may be the best BB but it ain't all that compared to the competition. I understand that we kinda knew this going in but it still sucks that the reviews, or device for that matter, didn't turn out better.
    BB6 looks like it may need to be short lived also, the reviews aren't great and I'm still hearing its sluggish at times. So in turn this new Kernel you speak of and new touch OS for the S3 and most likely the BlackPad better be all that and really blow people away. Or else I don't see the point of an OS6 BlackPad, nor will the Storm series EVER be competitive with the likes of the iPhones and Droid devices that keep getting released.
    On another note it really sucks to see a new Droid(Droid 2) and other ones in the works(Pro) being released on a daily basis and were still on here speculating about an S3 that IMO is most likely gonna be a complete disappointment anyway. We've been waiting forever it seems and the more we wait and hope, the more reality is setting in that RIM just can't seem to compete with the consumer touchscreeen market.
    08-10-10 12:48 PM
    Look at it this way...were ******** about S3 and 4 coming out within a few months but the droid 2 is dropping 9 months after droid and now we hear of the droid pro coming out 3-4 months after that. That is 3 generations of droid sliders from motorola within 12 months. That is pretty bad. Especially since they are listing the Pro as an oct/nov delivery which means it is 3g, and there will prolly be a 4 G droid from moto by may 2011. Maybe X2? At least moto isn't doing it because any of the droids can't handle the latest software. Who knows. I grow weary of all this speculation. I want a juicy leak of some spoof info on what RIM has coming this fall.

08-10-10 02:11 PM
    They are going to release a 9580 (Strom 3) to fill in the gap until Storm 4 w/ LTE is released next year.

I unfortunately agree. Unfortunately, because my S1 contract is up in November and I was planning on upgrading to the S3. But if it is just a "refresh" phone, I'll probably wait for the REAL upgrade... S4.
    08-10-10 02:38 PM
    My question is: Who the heck is going to buy the "Storm 3" KNOWING the S4 is just around the corner? Even people who DON'T know (and what BB user doesn't?) WHY would they buy a S3 with iPhone and all the Droid's available out there? RIM is in trouble.

I'll hold on to my S1 until the end of the year, but after that, I'm shopping around.
    08-10-10 02:59 PM
    Just got back from playing with the Torch and it's not as bad as I've read in the reviews. The webkit browser is really nice and a huge upgrade althou still choppy sometimes. There were also bugs in the OS I found already and I couldn't even views photos correctly.
    Which leads me to my thought that the S4 or whatever Storm they bring out that they want to actually compete in the market with, really needs a bigger screen. The Torch's screen and the S1 screen are just really too small to take advantage of the full webkit experience IMO. I'm not saying something as larger as the Droid X but it's needs something bigger and better resolution definitely.
    08-10-10 04:26 PM
    Thanks for the hands on quick review. I found the S1 is not as bad as most of the reviews either. I would welcome a bigger screen, 5-6 inches would be great.
    08-10-10 07:21 PM
    I postulate that the current thought of "S4" wull end up being a super Torch to compete with IP4, Droid x, etc. But it's just a feeling.

08-10-10 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the hands on quick review. I found the S1 is not as bad as most of the reviews either. I would welcome a bigger screen, 5-6 inches would be great.
    Sorry I couldn't make it longer. The Torch is a nice phone and I was almost thinking about buying it and unlocking it on Verizon(not sure if that's even possible?) cause I'm sick of waiting on the Storm. However I really wasn't into the capt touchscreen, while i'm sure after awhile you'd get used to typing on it, I really do like SurePress on the Storm. I use my S1 in portrait with SureType ALL the time and I love being able to have a big screen and type with one hand. I didn't check the Torch for SureType althou I'd assume it has it.
    If the new Storm had maybe a 4inch screen or something in that area I just think it would make the webkit even better. It was really nice to be able to look at full sites on a BB too. Over the past weekend I was playing with my brothers Ipod Touch and web browsing on it instead of my Storm cause of how bad the S1 web is. Althou, the new webkit was choppy at time and not as fluid as browsing on a Iphone, it's night and day in regards to the old BB browser.
    08-11-10 01:06 PM
    RIM might wanna really rethink this Storm fiasco. With the news of the iPhone coming to most likely Verizon in January I don't think a Storm refresh is a wise decision right now. They really need the S4 out there to try to lead the pack for once before the iPhone jumps to a huge carrier like Verizon.
    Otherwise, like usual they are just gonna be left in the dust once again. They are trying to catch up with the BlackPad by releasing it ASAP this year to try to cut off the lead the iPad already has. So right now while they have a chance I really think they need to jump ahead on this Storm thing or else I really believe a lot of followers will be gone.
    08-12-10 01:26 PM
    RIM might wanna really rethink this Storm fiasco. With the news of the iPhone coming to most likely Verizon in January I don't think a Storm refresh is a wise decision right now. They really need the S4 out there to try to lead the pack for once before the iPhone jumps to a huge carrier like Verizon.
    Otherwise, like usual they are just gonna be left in the dust once again. They are trying to catch up with the BlackPad by releasing it ASAP this year to try to cut off the lead the iPad already has. So right now while they have a chance I really think they need to jump ahead on this Storm thing or else I really believe a lot of followers will be gone.
    Totally agree. Android is directly behind them in worldwide market share according to gartner's latest report. I think VZW does not want any LTE handsets out until 2011. But of the iPhone does come to VZW in January as more and more things seem to indicate then RIM needs the next gen Storm out in Nov/Dec and not in 2011. An S2 refresh won't attract new customers and it probably won't retain any customers either.

08-12-10 04:58 PM
    I also believe that Androids market share will probably be slowed if the iPhone comes to Verizon. Android is growing because its Verizons closest competition to the iPhone right now and therefore they are pushing it all the time and have devices coming out left and right, weather its from LG, HTC or Motorola. Its actually kinda oversaturated I believe. Verizon is a huge carrier and with the addition of the iPhone I think a lot of things will change.
    So for RIM to sit back and be nieve thinkn they will always have their place is a huge mistake. They may soon have their place but it will go from leader to the bottom of the barrel as a biz phone and that's it.

08-13-10 10:21 PM
    I postulate that the current thought of "S4" wull end up being a super Torch to compete with IP4, Droid x, etc. But it's just a feeling.

the torch is the prototype rims just looking way ahead into the future the are going to come out with somthing epic righ now they are bideing thir time building somthing great
    08-14-10 12:03 AM
    If RIM waits to 2011 for the S4, it will only be competing against the S2 and "refresh". Because by summer of 2011 the S4 won't hold a candle to the new iPhone 5 and Droid Z.

And as long as those new phones are on Verizon - no one will care about BB Storms anymore.
    08-15-10 10:37 PM
    If RIM waits to 2011 for the S4, it will only be competing against the S2 and "refresh". Because by summer of 2011 the S4 won't hold a candle to the new iPhone 5 and Droid Z.

And as long as those new phones are on Verizon - no one will care about BB Storms anymore.
    08-15-10 10:38 PM

I agree. I've been patiently waiting it out while the 2 year contract on my Storm1 is nearing its end in December. Looking for any real news on the possibility of a kick-*** touch screen device from RIM. But so far, I see no real reason to limited myself to a RIM device anymore. I can't even say that I'll miss BBM since 1) the only person I BBM several times daily is my girlfriend, and she's planning to get an iPhone next, and 2) I find myself doing regular texting amongst friends with Android and iPhone devices anyway.

The last juicy bit of Verizon news I heard about was that HTC is making another Evo 4G styled phone for VZW.

The next gen Storm would have to be pretty damn impressive and *sigh* it would have to be up to par with the competition. But we all know that's not going to happen. RIM likes to stay behind the curve these days.
    08-30-10 09:41 PM
    @Agent00J
    If you're going to try and buy ANYTHING in December, I would make sure it is a LTE model. If you keep your phone, like I do for the 2 years, and we know Verizon is launching their LTE network this Spring/Summer, it would be a shame to get a 3G phone now and be left out of the faster network for, potentially, a year and 1/2!
    08-31-10 07:49 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD