03-29-15 05:39 AM
159 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I know of a number of people that don't own a PC... their tablet or smartphone is their "computer" (add a input device and a monitor...). You can download all types of apps these days that would have been impossible a few years ago... Video Editing on a phone??? Looking at CAD drawings on a Tablet (or phone)?? Have you seen some of these highend games like Modern Combat 5??

Some people will be fine with the LEAP/RIO/Z3+, others are going to want the power of a more modern and up to date device. It simply comes down to who are your customers and are you giving them what they want.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-27-15 09:00 AM
    But the Moto E sells for less than $100.... not sure if people buying in that price range are concerned enough with the camera to pay 150% premium. And that is IF BlackBerry were to sell it that cheap - which I don't believe they will. LTE Radio and a bump in a few specs and this is a $399+ device in the US so that Chen has the margins he needs.

I haven't looked at any research, but most everyone I know here in the US, still buys on contract with carrier subsidies - unless they break a phone and need a cheap replacement. And if you look at what Carrier's are selling here FREE on contract... the LEAP isn't going to gain any traction in the consumer market.

This is going to be an enterprise device... sales outside of enterprise will not even be measurable in terms of the overall smartphone market. Just like sales of the Z3 in India (an I expect most other markets) are pretty much measured in the hundreds these days.... https://www.zauba.com/import-blackberry+z3-hs-code.html

You guys have got to stop thinking of BlackBerry as a consumer smartphone company that can compete with other platforms. Right now BlackBerries is being bought by Highly Regulated Industries where security is the only concern - or by BlackBerry Fans. But as the LEAP is not much of an upgrade from the Z10 and is a downgrade from the Z30, I think even the FANS will mostly "leap" pass this device and wait to see what else BlackBerry comes up with. As the OP stated, there are other products on the drawing boards...
    Sorry, but no one is buying BlackBerry phones. BlackBerry is getting a bunch of Enterprise doors slated in their face right now.

No phones that folks (consumers) want = enterprise doesn't want them either. Period!

BlackBerry hates America!
    02-27-15 09:27 AM
    Sorry, but no one is buying BlackBerry phones. BlackBerry is getting a bunch of Enterprise doors slated in their face right now.

No phones that folks (consumers) want = enterprise doesn't want them either. Period!

BlackBerry hates America!
    But yet we diehards are here... lol

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 10:40 AM
    Well if enterprise market doesn't want the phones then Blackberry is done. But then again Blackberry has been done for awhile. I'll never buy a Blackberry without a PKB. It's the only reason to buy the brand. I've owned, 8700, 8310, 9000, 9700, 9900, Q10 and now probably, the Classic. Email is how Blackberry started at turn of millennium and they are the best at. I hope the company doesn't become the Palm Inc but it unfortunately, it may.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:21 AM
    I've always been a Die hard blackberry user cause its well organized hub, its wonderful keyboard, security aspects, battery...etc But in the last years it has been sad for me to realize that every year the market share is going down ( at this moment is 0.4% ) with bad consequences; among them: many modern, important and useful Apps are done for iOS or Android. I'm tired to find myself increasingly limited. The last drop was this week, when I see now Blackberry is working with Google in order to allow android devices in its systems, which make me to re-evaluate again if hold a Blackberry handset is worth it. Today you could many fine android devices ( my favorite: Moto X 2 Gen ) which could substitute many of the functions that I like the most of BB. Holding a BB just to answer emails and chat a little more quicker but being limited and many other aspects doesn't make much sense to me. I'm so so so sorry but I'm moving to Moto X. I know it will cost me to get used to a non BB new system but is the better for me.

I hope BB could make a wonderful turnaround, with its new bets : IoT, Cars...etc but all signs indicate that the company will quit in handsets war, and that's sad, cause, if you don't sell better phones with better modern apps to use, the company will shrink more lefting just as software company that allows other phones.

What do you think? objectively
    02-27-15 12:27 PM
    The company will have to pay developers to make the apps people want and have to pay companies for their permission to make said apps. Most companies do not want or can't give permission to do so, therein lies issue. Most IT and customer service departments would need to be trained and when less than 1 percent of customer base uses platform, management isn't going to waste the money.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:41 PM
    I can see companies deploying inexpensive "for company use" only devices with a few company related apps and security; that way, they get full control over the devices, i.e. no legal issues with regards to what is/isn't company property/data. If a company isn't a BYOD, I can't imagine they'd want to shell out the bucks for nice (expensive) devices for their employees because their employees want nice devices.
    02-27-15 07:24 PM
    If a company isn't a BYOD, I can't imagine they'd want to shell out the bucks for nice (expensive) devices for their employees because their employees want nice devices.
    How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that the two most popular enterprise-issued phones are the iPhone and the Galaxy S-series (with the Galaxy Note in 3rd place)? Clearly, there are lots of companies willing to purchase flagship phones for their employees.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    02-28-15 01:40 PM
    Since I liked always Blackberry, I held all what I could with faith that the company will change its perspective, but like I said earlier, it's an increasingly limited "Smartphone", basically cause Apps is what really make phones into a modern tool for anything, not only seeing and answer quick mails. This week I'll be moving from my old Bold 9790 to Moto X 2 Gen, and I'm pretty aware of Android difficulties and flaws, but certainly it will put me in the modern path of doing things. I hope that the company could do a total turnaround, not only in financial results but also in its perspective, if not, it will only shrink into a specialized software company that eventually will finish bought by someone.
    Last edited by pstrusi; 02-28-15 at 03:41 PM.
    02-28-15 03:29 PM
    Since I liked always Blackberry, I held all what I could with faith that the company will change its perspective, but like I said earlier, it's an increasingly limited "Smartphone", basically cause Apps is what really make phones into a modern tool for anything, not only seeing and answer quick mails. This week I'll be moving from my old Bold 9790 to Moto X 2 Gen, and I'm pretty aware of Android difficulties and flaws, but certainly it will put me in the modern path of doing things. I hope that the company could do a total turnaround, not only in financial results but also in its perspective, if not, it will only shrink into a specialized software company that eventually will finish bought by someone.
    So let me get this straight. You are saying 'it's an increasingly limited smartphone' but you're using an OS7 Bold?! SMH! Are you serious right now?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-28-15 06:50 PM
    How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that the two most popular enterprise-issued phones are the iPhone and the Galaxy S-series (with the Galaxy Note in 3rd place)? Clearly, there are lots of companies willing to purchase flagship phones for their employees.
    Aren't these the three most popular phones in general? I think that BlackBerry is trying to leap at the lower end of the enterprise market even if it isn't the most lucrative end.

I think what the poster is saying is that some companies won't pay more than $250 per phone as I also wouldn't pay more than $250 outright for a phone. Not every business is willing to shell out $700 for a phone, even for an iPhone or a Note.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:11 PM
    The last handful of companies I've worked for in IT don't allow android devices. IPhones for touch and BlackBerry for pkb. Why? Security. Why do you think Samsung and Google are collaborating with BlackBerry? Again my work experience doesn't represent the majority of companies out there but I've worked for, and currently do work for, fortune 10 companies. Meaning a large segment of enterprise work experience.
    All this talk about the Leap, leaving BlackBerry, enterprise buying expensive phones, building a high end phone for consumers has been discussed at naeuseum at BlackBerry. I'll admit they have bone heads working there but not any Joe of the street can get a job there. JC is building a solid team around him and if the last few quarters has shown us anything it's he deserves some credit for what he's done at BlackBerry thus far. Let's see what happens this year because this is the make or break year for the company.
    02-28-15 07:34 PM
    I've gotta say, all you naysayers about the keyboard sound just like the CEOs of Blackberry from way back when.

"The touch screen will never catch on" blah, blah, blah.

If history tells us anything, it's that it repeats itself again and again. I have a feeling that keyboards will come back once the touch screen is played out and people want productivity in their phones again.

BlackBerry just have to keep going their own way and not listen to the people that say 'drop the keyboards' and 'touch screen only'. They have a great product and have to keep trying to improve what they have, rather than try to catch up with the competition.
    02-28-15 07:44 PM
    The last handful of companies I've worked for in IT don't allow android devices. IPhones for touch and BlackBerry for pkb. Why? Security. Why do you think Samsung and Google are collaborating with BlackBerry? Again my work experience doesn't represent the majority of companies out there but I've worked for, and currently do work for, fortune 10 companies. Meaning a large segment of enterprise work experience.
    All this talk about the Leap, leaving BlackBerry, enterprise buying expensive phones, building a high end phone for consumers has been discussed at naeuseum at BlackBerry. I'll admit they have bone heads working there but not any Joe of the street can get a job there. JC is building a solid team around him and if the last few quarters has shown us anything it's he deserves some credit for what he's done at BlackBerry thus far. Let's see what happens this year because this is the make or break year for the company.
    What exactly has he done? All phones were on the table already, he did fire the developers, fired tons of staff, sold tons of property.... and it's because of the downsizing and selling of assets that BBRY's losses were lower this year than the year before not because of decide sales. Sure he's selling security and what not out there but that does nothing for the failing hardware division, which is what's the most important to bus here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 08:13 PM
    I think they're deploying cheaper version of the phones, not the high memory versions. As for why iPhone's and Samsung's, it's because they're perceived as the most stable, to be around for support. BlackBerry didn't have that for a while, with declining marketshare, confusing for sale sign, and general lack of direction. Now that BlackBerry has set some stability in place, I think it's easier for Enterprise to consider them. How do you reconcile companies insisting on Bold's when they could have moved to iPhone's and Samsung's?
    02-28-15 08:17 PM
    What exactly has he done? All phones were on the table already, he did fire the developers, fired tons of staff, sold tons of property.... and it's because of the downsizing and selling of assets that BBRY's losses were lower this year than the year before not because of decide sales. Sure he's selling security and what not out there but that does nothing for the failing hardware division, which is what's the most important to bus here on CB.
    The Passport was in play, but the Classic was his doing. The Z3 could have been in play, in terms of making a decision to make a low-end device, but the Foxxcon deal was ultimately his to make. The downsizing was already being done under Heins. The selling of property was finalized under Chen. Most of the benefits of these two items were already realized in previous quarters.

Chen - not killing Passport, Classic developed, keeping inventory levels low (not over produced!), and off-loading some devices to Foxxcon

He still needs to get advertising going though, if he hopes to realize more hardware sales. First though, he's probably going to maximize Enterprise sales and deployments before going to advertise to the general public.
    02-28-15 08:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    1) He took a company bleeding money by the day and brought stability. Perhaps not to the degree of what most would like to see but he did it. BlackBerry would be a goner if it wasn't for JC. TH and those two bumbling co-CEOs couldn't do it to save their lives. The board didn't have faith in any of them to save the company.

2) PP and Classic weren't in production. Just concepts when JC came into office. So he brought them both to life. IIRC the PP was always discussed at BlackBerry but never brought into the light until JC came into office.

3) Most of the downsizing occurred under TH, not JC. Yes, he sold property, and downsized BlackBerry into a lean business. He's the CEO and tough decisions need to be made. He's not the first CEO to do this and won't be the last. See Target in Canada as another fine example of tough decisions. Clearly it was this and not decided sales which stabilised most of the bleeding. But he did it. 2015 will be the year where JC will be known again as a turnaround magician if he can hit his project targets for this FY. If not, say bye to BlackBerry as we know it, and perhaps hello to a more IBM modelled business.
    02-28-15 09:19 PM
    So let me get this straight. You are saying 'it's an increasingly limited smartphone' but you're using an OS7 Bold?! SMH! Are you serious right now?

Posted via CB10
    No, he's talking about getting a new MotoX phone, which is a top Android model. I think he was saying that the BlackBerry smartphone philosophy is not going like he'd like to see it go.

Aren't these the three most popular phones in general? I think that BlackBerry is trying to leap at the lower end of the enterprise market even if it isn't the most lucrative end.

I think what the poster is saying is that some companies won't pay more than $250 per phone as I also wouldn't pay more than $250 outright for a phone. Not every business is willing to shell out $700 for a phone, even for an iPhone or a Note.
    Posted via CB10
    I think that this makes the point that businesses and people like the same thing, which rebuts the prosumer/consumer propaganda. Also, it shows that low-priced phones are not the priority of the corporate buyers, because they are pushing high-priced iPhones, Notes, and Galaxies to the top of the best-selling list rather than even the most popular low-end and mid-range smartphones.

Smartphones are central to people's lives and are huge status symbols, so individuals and companies are sensitive about making top choices available to workers (just like they did when BlackBerry was the high-status brand). Time will tell how the Leap fits into this reality, though I would say that the Z10 was a flagship when released, so I think that the Z10 was an easier sale as a fleet phone. The $200 Leap as a fleet phone, on the other hand, is more of a leap to me because it screams, "low status individual" or "low status organization" and isn't as desirable as other competitors.
    03-01-15 01:22 AM
    Sooooo....
    I don't think the slider counts.

Thus, BlackBerry will only release one full touch device this year.

Who would have guessed?
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    03-03-15 07:34 PM
    Sooooo....
    I don't think the slider counts.

Thus, BlackBerry will only release one full touch device this year.

Who would have guessed?
    How can the slider not be a full touch device?!?! When the keyboard is hidden it's acts just like a full touch device with a 16:9 ratio screen and virtual keyboard the physical keyboard is optional and you are not forced to use it if you don't want to. So it is considered to be a full touch device with an interesting curved dual edge display.

Posted via my awesome totally amazing BlackBerry Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 07:41 PM
    How can the slider not be a full touch device?!?! When the keyboard is hidden it's acts just like a full touch device with a 16:9 ratio screen and virtual keyboard the physical keyboard is optional and you are not forced to use it if you don't want to. So it is considered to be a full touch device with an interesting curved dual edge display.

I wanted to see how you'll answer

Well, if you honestly think that someone interested in a full touch device, buys a slider, you probably don't understand what the whole point of a slider is.

Actually, if I really have to explain you why a slider, a phone with a physical keyboard, is not the same as a phone without a physical keyboard at all, we probably have some serious semantic issues.

Someone who wants to buy an iPhone/HTC One/Samsung S6 doesn't want to buy a slider. Those are completely different market segments.
    Why would that someone want a physical keyboard add on to his phone, he/she'll never use, instead of getting a full touch device? It's not like there aren't such devices out there...

Just to be clear, NOBODY who honestly wants a full touch device, will settle for a subpar design in their opinion. And a slider is subpar if I want a slab phone.
    Therefore it's a slider and not an all touch phone.

Keep up the positivity though! At least some still need to believe. Maybe BlackBerry will really release another full touch device...
    I'll buy the slider in the meantime and keep wondering if BlackBerry was actually serious with their Roadmap.
    03-03-15 08:11 PM
    Do people really believe that anybody who doesn't currently own a blackberry will see this new slider phone and think " I have to have it!" I personally don't have any desire to own one. The just don't use the physical keyboard solution doesn't hold water for me. If I'm not going to use it then why buy it?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 08:28 PM

Oh come on now.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 09:37 PM
    Keep up the positivity though! At least some still need to believe. Maybe BlackBerry will really release another full touch device...
    They will. An all touch Passport.
    03-04-15 10:03 AM
    I wanted to see how you'll answer

Well, if you honestly think that someone interested in a full touch device, buys a slider, you probably don't understand what the whole point of a slider is.

Actually, if I really have to explain you why a slider, a phone with a physical keyboard, is not the same as a phone without a physical keyboard at all, we probably have some serious semantic issues.

Someone who wants to buy an iPhone/HTC One/Samsung S6 doesn't want to buy a slider. Those are completely different market segments.
    Why would that someone want a physical keyboard add on to his phone, he/she'll never use, instead of getting a full touch device? It's not like there aren't such devices out there...

Just to be clear, NOBODY who honestly wants a full touch device, will settle for a subpar design in their opinion. And a slider is subpar if I want a slab phone.
    Therefore it's a slider and not an all touch phone.

I'll buy the slider in the meantime and keep wondering if BlackBerry was actually serious with their Roadmap.
    LOL true true. According to louks they will release 3 more devices besides the leap this year...Slider is one and he said another keyboard device as well and I don't know what the third is though...???
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 10:06 AM
159 ... 23456 ...