03-29-15 05:39 AM
159 12345 ...
tools
    If they can release at 200 that would be pretty good. Doubtful though.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 03:07 PM
    What I don't understand is the /necessity/ to upgrade to higher spec'ed hardware. What processor intensive apps demand it? Sure, things could always be faster, but it's possible to have a very high hardware spec'ed device with very crappy OS/software that the hardware speed is negated. I'd be much more happy with BlackBerry fine-tuning the existing hardware with better software.
    02-25-15 03:12 PM
    What I don't understand is the /necessity/ to upgrade to higher spec'ed hardware. What processor intensive apps demand it? Sure, things could always be faster, but it's possible to have a very high hardware spec'ed device with very crappy OS/software that the hardware speed is negated. I'd be much more happy with BlackBerry fine-tuning the existing hardware with better software.
    To me that's the good news about the Leap is that even the lowest end on BlackBerry 10 will continue to improve. I'm not in a rush to upgrade after 2 years since my Z10 isn't slowing down to do day to day things. But I'll definitely upgrade to whichever next high end full touch releases. Maybe even a hybrid 16:9

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 03:15 PM
    If they can release at 200 that would be pretty good. Doubtful though.
    How about $250? Would the better specs make it appealing enough the Moto E crowd? We are talking about 2 MP front-facing camera, for better selfies, than the 0.3 of the Moto E.

The Z3 currently sells for about $200-$230 on eBay, Amazon, which I think is the "equilibrium" price where there are enough buyers to keep that price.
    02-25-15 03:24 PM
    This is such a downer thread. I'm sure whatever they have in store for MWC will be great. I've been hearing about a roadmap. Basically what I'm expecting is the same "roadmap" they did for the passport and classic and I think z3, we get a picture of it along with the official name and possibly a target release date. I think a "Leap" type device could do wonders in enterprise and maybe even with consumers if the price is right( anywhere from $150 to $299 or so...could even say up to $350 if the value is there).
    02-25-15 05:34 PM
    Android apps are the issue. They need more horsepower for general consumers. As do prosumers that use graphics intensive apps. But for regular BB10 use with native cascades apps, the specs are fine. The other issue is the high price they want to charge for low end specs. They are not Apple. they can't get away with that. $199 max for this phone IMO.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    02-25-15 05:48 PM
    There are a lot of all-touch people who disagree with you. Therefore, without an upgrade to the Z30 looming on the horizon, it will be goodbye for many of the BB customers. We, the people who are willing to pay 500+ for an all-touch flagship device, not a Z3 increase, will be calling it quits. I don't see anything alarmist in that.

That is reality.
    Well said, couldn't agree more. It's so obvious it's not even funny.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-25-15 07:46 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry sees anything alarmist in that either and are willing to let the 10000 or so of you go. If they make that phone for you all touch fans at this point, they are going to sell almost nothing (relatively speaking) and they're going to have to charge $800-$1000 for it in which case you're all going to ***** and complain about it being way too much money and what the heck is BlackBerry thinking by pricing this phone so high. It's lose/lose for them right now. That's just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong.
    Ya..there's only 10,000 of us...keep telling yourself that.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:48 PM
    Maybe 100,000
    02-25-15 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    CarlosTavares how many do you think there are?
    02-25-15 08:20 PM
    CarlosTavares how many do you think there are?
    You tell me. 99% of smart phones are full touch. Surely the entire market place isn't on the edge of their seats waiting for a slider or a Leap..lol

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:56 PM
    To quote Ofutur from the other thread. I'm interested in what the titan and book are.

I think they'll go with families

Passport
    Passport
    Passport T
    Passport Visa

Classic
    Classic
    Classic II
    Classic E

Leap
    Leap
    Leap One
    Leap XL

Book
    Book
    Book M

Titan
    Titan
    Titan Edge
    02-25-15 09:05 PM
    To quote Ofutur from the other thread. I'm interested in what the titan and book are.
    My guesses:

Book-
    A keyboard tablet...

Titan -
    Pretty obvious...

The S5/G3/iP6/S-Z3 terminator and all-touch crowd pleaser...

:-D

Passport T? As in T-ouch? 8-)
    Book M - as in M-ini... ?

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    02-26-15 02:45 AM
    The Rio is therefore not the only all-touch device coming out in the foreseeable future (2015?).

Titan?
    I speculate :

Octa-core, 64bit
    4GB RAM
    128GB flash
    4K display
    4500mAh battery
    stylus support
    and:
    -wait for it-
    Speaker phone ;-)

Hope the all-touch fans get what they want...
    I might buy one, too. :-)

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    02-26-15 02:54 AM
    BlackBerry is producing phones based on the demand n ol dey need now in my opinion is one phone like One plus One and see how well dey do in the market. Smart Phone dat stand out in d market in terms of specs n price it like a budget phone like 1+1 phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:33 AM
    Same here I have ZERO and I mean ZERO interest in an all touch screen only device its boring and played out...the visa/victoria are the phones that I want. I want to stand apart from the crowd especially if the phone has that auto eject keyboard signal from the OS and touch sensitive keyboard no one else will have that!!!
    The world doesn't revolve around you.

BlackBerry needs a low end device they can put again the likes of Lumias and Galaxys.

A road map truly isn't one phone. One phone that was t announced to be on point. So you can't complain.

I agree on marketing, they suck at it. Or hard sucked. We haven't seen Chen try his hand at selling devices for the masses.

Ao let's shut up and watch if they do it right before we complain.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:16 AM
    The Rio is therefore not the only all-touch device coming out in the foreseeable future (2015?).

Titan?
    I speculate :

Octa-core, 64bit
    4GB RAM
    128GB flash
    4K display
    4500mAh battery
    stylus support
    and:
    -wait for it-
    Speaker phone ;-)

Hope the all-touch fans get what they want...
    I might buy one, too. :-)

I have a belief that going 64bits will be the official end of support for all current devices. I'm not starting a rumor, I just wonder because the architecture would be quite different.

We'd see something similar to Apple, where old devices get updates but not certain features, until they just don't get updates at all (looking at you, iPhone 3GS).

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:19 AM
    How about $250? Would the better specs make it appealing enough the Moto E crowd? We are talking about 2 MP front-facing camera, for better selfies, than the 0.3 of the Moto E.

The Z3 currently sells for about $200-$230 on eBay, Amazon, which I think is the "equilibrium" price where there are enough buyers to keep that price.
    But the Moto E sells for less than $100.... not sure if people buying in that price range are concerned enough with the camera to pay 150% premium. And that is IF BlackBerry were to sell it that cheap - which I don't believe they will. LTE Radio and a bump in a few specs and this is a $399+ device in the US so that Chen has the margins he needs.

I haven't looked at any research, but most everyone I know here in the US, still buys on contract with carrier subsidies - unless they break a phone and need a cheap replacement. And if you look at what Carrier's are selling here FREE on contract... the LEAP isn't going to gain any traction in the consumer market.

This is going to be an enterprise device... sales outside of enterprise will not even be measurable in terms of the overall smartphone market. Just like sales of the Z3 in India (an I expect most other markets) are pretty much measured in the hundreds these days.... https://www.zauba.com/import-blackberry+z3-hs-code.html

You guys have got to stop thinking of BlackBerry as a consumer smartphone company that can compete with other platforms. Right now BlackBerries is being bought by Highly Regulated Industries where security is the only concern - or by BlackBerry Fans. But as the LEAP is not much of an upgrade from the Z10 and is a downgrade from the Z30, I think even the FANS will mostly "leap" pass this device and wait to see what else BlackBerry comes up with. As the OP stated, there are other products on the drawing boards...
    undone likes this.
    02-26-15 08:51 AM
    The world doesn't revolve around you.

BlackBerry needs a low end device they can put again the likes of Lumias and Galaxys.

A road map truly isn't one phone. One phone that was t announced to be on point. So you can't complain.

I agree on marketing, they suck at it. Or hard sucked. We haven't seen Chen try his hand at selling devices for the masses.

Ao let's shut up and watch if they do it right before we complain.

Posted via CB10
    Oh trust me I know this is what BB Needs:

Low to Mid Tier Touch (Rio/Leap)
    Innovative phone (Visa/Victoria Phone)
    High End Touch beast

I just personally want the visa or victoria phone for me. I know that's a Niche but if properly specd out I wouldn't underestimate the device.

A lot of people love the passport looks and specs but hate the Ratio. I believe if we have the visa/victoria phone which is 16:9 with high specs and android lollipop support we will have a winner .

I agree we should shut up and wait for MWC which is what I am telling people to do anyways LOL.
    02-26-15 03:17 PM
    Maybe 100,000
    I'd bet money there are more BB10 all touch users than BB10 PKB users.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:15 PM
    12 freaking different devices would be hilarious.
    02-26-15 05:33 PM
    I'd bet money there are more BB10 all touch users than BB10 PKB users.
    Only BlackBerry knows the answer to that.
    02-26-15 06:30 PM
    I'm sure you are still running a Windows 95 computer at home, right?

The quick answer to your question is simply this: we ask more and more of our computing products, be it a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, every year, and, heck, often every month. OSs are constantly being upgraded with more features, and so are apps. New abilities show up, and you quickly adopt them and soon you've forgotten that you didn't used to have that feature, but that feature now needs more RAM, more CPU, more GPU, and more storage on your phone - all hardware resources that are in finite supply.

I'll give you an example: I got my first Android phone 5 years ago, running Android 2.2 Frozen Yogurt (FroYo). It came with Google Maps. Today's Google Maps is radically different and has a ton more features and capabilities, and looks much, much better today than it did in 2000. So much so that trying to run it on that old phone brings the phone to an absolute crawl, or crashes it entirely. Yet it ran the 5-year-old version of Maps just fine. 5 years of new features and improved interfaces took its toll on the minimum hardware spec, and the old 600 MHz CPU with 256MB of RAM and 256MB of storage (123 MB of user space for apps) just can't handle it anymore.

Most apps have gone through the same evolution, which is why I'm no longer using the Pentium 133MHz computer that I once lusted after and saved nearly $1000 to buy back in the 90s. I couldn't even install Win7 on that computer, but when it was released, it seemed like gobs of power. Of course, a single song in WAV format practically filled your hard drive back then, and the CPU barely had the power to decode and play back an MP3 file. High-quality videos were 320x240 pixels and rarely lasted 30 seconds, and were HUGE in file-size. Forget trying to run anything in a second window when trying to play one.

What has changed? Oh, not much....
    JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    02-26-15 06:52 PM
    I'm sure you are still running a Windows 95 computer at home, right?

The quick answer to your question is simply this: we ask more and more of our computing products, be it a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, every year, and, heck, often every month. OSs are constantly being upgraded with more features, and so are apps. New abilities show up, and you quickly adopt them and soon you've forgotten that you didn't used to have that feature, but that feature now needs more RAM, more CPU, more GPU, and more storage on your phone - all hardware resources that are in finite supply.

I'll give you an example: I got my first Android phone 5 years ago, running Android 2.2 Frozen Yogurt (FroYo). It came with Google Maps. Today's Google Maps is radically different and has a ton more features and capabilities, and looks much, much better today than it did in 2000. So much so that trying to run it on that old phone brings the phone to an absolute crawl, or crashes it entirely. Yet it ran the 5-year-old version of Maps just fine. 5 years of new features and improved interfaces took its toll on the minimum hardware spec, and the old 600 MHz CPU with 256MB of RAM and 256MB of storage (123 MB of user space for apps) just can't handle it anymore.

Most apps have gone through the same evolution, which is why I'm no longer using the Pentium 133MHz computer that I once lusted after and saved nearly $1000 to buy back in the 90s. I couldn't even install Win7 on that computer, but when it was released, it seemed like gobs of power. Of course, a single song in WAV format practically filled your hard drive back then, and the CPU barely had the power to decode and play back an MP3 file. High-quality videos were 320x240 pixels and rarely lasted 30 seconds, and were HUGE in file-size. Forget trying to run anything in a second window when trying to play one.

What has changed? Oh, not much....
    I get that having better spec'ed hardware is great. At the same time though, we've accepted lower spec'ed hardware in our mobile devices and have been fine with it. My Z30 isn't as powerful as my i7 desktop. At this moment, other than perhaps running the Android Runtime faster, what intensive apps are people running that demands higher spec'ed hardware? Most apps have been tuned with the current hardware spec in mind and BlackBerry, the theory, has sped things up in 10.3.1.x. I'm most curious about the people that need the higher spec hardware today, but don't see the Passport as a viable option because of the screen/keyboard. Do you need the extra horsepower that badly? Or just want a high spec full touch because some time has passed? What apps are you trying to run that's unusable currently?
    02-26-15 07:25 PM
    That's the thing, though: BB is now dependent on Android apps, which they're running in a runtime layer on top of BB10, which means it's resource-heavy. And those Android apps will continue to add features that will tax the BB hardware more and more over time, as all software seems to do. How well it runs native BB10 apps is almost irrelevant when native app development has nearly come to a stand-still and in some cases is going backwards, with devs removing their native apps and advising users to install their Android app instead.

You might ask why BB10 never came to the Playbook: it just didn't have the hardware to support it, despite running PBOS okay. Most people understand that having a device that has a bit of a future is a desirable thing. Sure, you can only take it so far... people who installed iOS7 on their iPhone 4 phones saw performance suffer because the hardware was 3 generations old (same with iOS8 and the iPhone 4S). But at least it does run it for those who want to. Buying 3-year-old tech today, and expecting it to last 2 or more years (read: 5+ years since it was released) is probably not a good bet, as I explained with my 5-year-old Android phone story.

Yes, at some point, technology matures a bit, as desktop computers did, so while the performance line continues to go up on the graph, that line is no longer very steep compared to, say, the 90s, when processor power and RAM and GPU performance was climbing at a very, very high rate. But phones aren't there yet, and changes from year-to-year are huge, and devs are anxious to take advantage of new capabilities to enhance the features, functionality, and ease-of-use of their apps and services. At some point, older devices get left behind, and with smartphones, that seems to be around the 4-5 year mark for any given technology.
    02-26-15 08:15 PM
159 12345 ...