Can someone explain to me why RIM is choosing smaller batteries to go with these new souped up processors and screens on these new blackberry releases coming out? One of blackberry's strong suits was battery life, especially on the Bold 9000/9700 series. I guess I just don't understand the thought process on this one.
    01-14-11 11:04 AM
    Many consumers favor the thinner handsets, therefore the smaller batteries. The positive thing about the BB form factor is that if you don't care about handset thickness, you can upgrade to an extended battery for longer life.
    If they were to start with the larger battery, it would be much more difficult to accommodate a smaller battery in order to make the handset thinner.
    01-14-11 11:15 AM
    They are plenty thin now! and why not use the M-S1?!? It is already a very thin battery, and at 1550mAH, it's got plenty of charge too!
    01-14-11 11:27 AM
    Maybe they figure they can optimize the processor to maximize battery life? Not sure how much of a reality this really is but it could be their line of thinking. Then again, maybe they are finally going form over function.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 01:22 PM
    Can someone explain to me why RIM is choosing smaller batteries to go with these new souped up processors and screens on these new blackberry releases coming out? One of blackberry's strong suits was battery life, especially on the Bold 9000/9700 series. I guess I just don't understand the thought process on this one.
    Well, just because the processor is faster, doesn't mean it has to consume more power.
    Just for example, I have a AMD's 1055T 6 core 125 watt model, and yet my AMD 940 4 core draws 125 watts. 1055T is superior and newer but draws the same amount of power spite it being better clock for clock AND 2 more cores.
    Cars are the same way. V8's of the 60's and 70's consume much more gas than a V8 of this time, but today's V8's will mooooove.

Not to mention you have clock efficiency to take into account. Intel ran up clocks numbers back in the P4 days to make them look ohhhhh so fast, yet AMD could process something faster on a much slower Ghz clock. More efficiently too.

Which is why I'd like to see a clock for clock of RIM vs. iPhone vs. Andriod's #1
    01-14-11 02:28 PM
    It's still a rumor.. They can always change the spec, battery, design, etc. and plus all the pictures BGR been posting is not the real actual device so yeah.
    01-14-11 03:12 PM
    Many consumers favor the thinner handsets, therefore the smaller batteries. The positive thing about the BB form factor is that if you don't care about handset thickness, you can upgrade to an extended battery for longer life.
    If they were to start with the larger battery, it would be much more difficult to accommodate a smaller battery in order to make the handset thinner.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head here, people expect sleeker and thinner devices so they have less space to fit everything into the blackberry.
    01-15-11 04:18 PM
    I myself am a stickler for battery life and a good battery is something I consider very important.
    01-17-11 06:46 PM
    They were using a 3 year old 624 MHz processors with no GPU. With the explosion in mobile chip technology, I would assume that everyone has been working on better efficiency in addition to quicker speeds. Also these are rumors so you have to take them with a grain of salt until RIM officially announces the specs.
    01-17-11 08:06 PM
    I would much rather have a thicker phone and longer battery life. Why not more efficient processors and bigger batteries? I am not totally satisfied with the battery life of my 9300.
    01-17-11 08:22 PM
    IF these smaller batteries are put in the current phone line-up..there is going to be ALOT of complaining on this site. Yes...the newer processors will be able to manage power better..but when you also throw in the bigger screen and better resolution..these will suck the life out of the battery. The biggest juice suckers out of the Android phones is because of the screen sizes and resolutions.

I'm sure they will still be optimized to get a potential full workday out of them..but when this site is full of people who love getting 2 or 3 days out of their BB (why it's so hard to throw a charge on at night is beyond me)..they are going to be in for a rude awakening.
    01-18-11 07:59 AM
    I think this means that the next generation of Blackberries will be using an entirely new generation of processors. Currently smartphone processors use 64 and 45 nm CPU's but next generation's CPU's will be 28nm, which should mean that they are many times more power efficient.
    01-27-11 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD