08-18-13 10:06 AM
43 12
tools
    Veeeerrry nice!
    Last edited by netwerx1; 06-10-13 at 11:59 PM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-10-13 11:20 PM
    Great job!

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-13-13 03:37 PM
    Wow, that is a great looking slider. I think that is pretty much the size it needs to be and I don't think it should be any bigger. The one thing that was throwing me off but couldn't figure out for a whole was that it has five rows of icons. Might be better with the traditional 4 rows like the z10 has. Other then that, great job!

Kick'n it with my Z10. #BB10believe
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-14-13 01:20 PM
    One thing I would try to avoid with any slider slider if possible would be that excessive chin because that was one of the factors that made the torch devices an immediately inferior typing experience compared with a bold in the past and with the virtual keyboard being so much better on a z10, you would need to be offering something better to make it worth having the sliding keyboard on a device.
    Bbnivende and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-15-13 06:25 AM
    Attachment 170596

Here goes. Similar to the one above with slight changes.

Attachment 170597

Size comparison. A few mm taller than the torch 9810 when opened, but same width. A mm thinner than the torch 9810. Slightly shorter compared to the Z10, if not it would be obscenely long when opened. Screen size 4.2" at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The bottom 'chin' is ever so slightly thinner than where the screen will sit when closed, so that user can easily feel where the screen starts sliding. The chin is also slightly slope towards the keyboard so that it is slightly easier to type, compared to having a straight-angle chin.

Well, one can dream. Building a slider is very challenging engineering wise. Lots of restrictions and limitations to take note of, the sliding mechanism is a big enough challenge I think.

As much as I would love to put in a bigger screen, and a keyboard that is the same as on the Q10, it is just not practical. A phone like that would be tall, thick, and wide beyond the point of being usable, or even portable. lol. Even though it is simply a concept, its still nicer to be realistic. Like the only reason I could move the call speaker all the way to the top like on the Nexus 4, is because I moved the power button to the side, if not that wouldn't be possible at all. There is only so much space available in a mobile device.
    I think I have to reverse my earlier thoughts on the slider. My buddy has one and really likes it. If you look at the side view and you see the slider in action the screen itself is quite thin even using old technology. The bulk of the device is in your hand and the screen extension does not disturb that. The screen is not in your hand. I would like to see the device slightly wider to fit the Q10 keyboard.

When you look at devices like the Sony Xperia ZL, other handsets seem to offer a better screen size to bulk ratio. I think they could reduce the amount device that is not the screen ( use the Sony as a model) . So I think the slider is doable and would be a great addition to the line up.

As for the Q10 - I think there is still some additional height and width that can be added combined with a reduction in bezel sizes ( that you see in other phones) I think a screen size of 3.5 inches or more is very feasible. I am saying that if Blackberry had Sony's design acumen they could build a Q10 with both a bigger screen and a trackpad. My own view is that BB10 devices really need a minimum of 3.5 inches . Perhaps BB felt that the Q10 screen was big enough to diminish the need for the slider but a 3.1 inch screen is just too small for a gestures based UI.

The big advantage of the slider is the rectangular screen . You get both portrait and landscape. With BB10's desktop browser display sometimes viewing in landscape in the only option.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-15-13 at 11:03 AM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 09:37 AM
    Been a while, but here goes my Dream Z30 concept.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr31f8nawe1qz4rgp.jpeg

There is no way to gently put this. I do not like how the rumoured Z30 looks. I think that the bottom chin looks kinda out of place. But of course this is based on photos, and I have been wrong before with the Q10. (I thought it didn’t look as nice as the Z10, but now my opinion have been reversed.)

Nonetheless, I decided to take a shot at what I hope the Z30 (or in fact my dream BB10 phone) could look like. If you noticed the title, I used “Dream". Reason being, I don’t think this will be an easy design to accomplish engineering wise.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr328hnuio1qz4rgp.jpeg

Front:
    The overall shape of the device is the same as the Z30, main exception being I removed the bottom chin. I went for an all glass front with a 5" display. Much like the Moto X, I tried to use as little bezel as possible without being too impossible. The glass around the sides are curved into the sides. Since there is little bezel at both sides of the screen, the curved edge will help to make bezel gestures easier to use with less bezel (theoretically at least).

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr32nibdou1qz4rgp.jpeg

Back:
    For the back, it will be using the glass-weave material found on the Q10. I moved the camera to the middle of the device for better balance if anything. The back is slightly sculpted as well to make it more comfortable to hold and use. Thicker at both ends and thinner in the middle. Thicker areas obviously will serve as a mean to fit in internal components. One of the concerns for me was how the device will sit when on flat surfaces. I didn’t want the device to wobble at all since that is something that is extremely annoying to me.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr32qhnrbx1qz4rgp.jpeg

The back is more like a waved shape so the thicker side on both ends will be touching the surface. The con-caved part in the middle will not be touch the surface. Maybe that’ll mean better airflow so heat don’t build up? lol.

Also, the thicker part at the top will be slightly thicker than the one at the bottom, so that the phone will be ever so slightly slanted towards you.

Here’s a side profile.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr32u9klis1qz4rgp.jpeg

Size:
    Here’s the exciting part about having smaller bezels and no bottom chin. Size.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-tumblr_inline_mr332hqtlj1qz4rgp.jpeg

With the exact same 5" screen size, the device is only a few mm taller and wider than the Z10, which has a 4.2" display. (In case you were wondering, I got them to scale for accurate size comparison by measuring the screen size using a ruler on my desktop screen, then measuring the height and width of the Z10 to ensure it correspond with specs sheet.)

Reason for the obsession with smaller size? I personally am not a fan of huge phones, and these concepts are really what I want from it.

——-

I’m not sure if having such small bezels is doable at this point in time, but I certainly hope so. Moto X was a huge step in the right direction in my opinion, a smaller physical dimension with a larger screen.

I’m not really concerned about the specs of the device, but I just want it to have a huge *** battery. I want a full day of heavy use out of the device, something my Q10 barely manages to do. I don’t mind the device being thicker at all, if anything I find slightly thicker devices nicer to hold on to. I don’t mind the processor not being top of the line, or the screen not being 1080p. I just want great battery life.

The way I see it, do you want a specs that are obscenely overpowered, and a unnecessarily high resolution display, but is dead before the end of the day. Leaving you with a paperweight.

OR,

Do you want a device that has sufficient power to do everything you want to, a display with lower pixel density, but is still high resolution enough that you can’t make out individual pixel on the screen, but is able to last you a full day (from waking up to sleeping) and maybe more. Never letting you be caught short without a phone.

——-

What do you guys think about this? Love it or hate it? Is this your dream BB10 device too?

If you're interested, my BBM Channel pin is C00015605
    08-06-13 07:11 AM
    Attachment 170596

Here goes. Similar to the one above with slight changes.

Attachment 170597

Size comparison. A few mm taller than the torch 9810 when opened, but same width. A mm thinner than the torch 9810. Slightly shorter compared to the Z10, if not it would be obscenely long when opened. Screen size 4.2" at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The bottom 'chin' is ever so slightly thinner than where the screen will sit when closed, so that user can easily feel where the screen starts sliding. The chin is also slightly slope towards the keyboard so that it is slightly easier to type, compared to having a straight-angle chin.

Well, one can dream. Building a slider is very challenging engineering wise. Lots of restrictions and limitations to take note of, the sliding mechanism is a big enough challenge I think.

As much as I would love to put in a bigger screen, and a keyboard that is the same as on the Q10, it is just not practical. A phone like that would be tall, thick, and wide beyond the point of being usable, or even portable. lol. Even though it is simply a concept, its still nicer to be realistic. Like the only reason I could move the call speaker all the way to the top like on the Nexus 4, is because I moved the power button to the side, if not that wouldn't be possible at all. There is only so much space available in a mobile device.
    I think your concept pic there was partly responsible for blackberry's share price going up on monday. We'll done!

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 12:07 AM
    Q30 Dream Concept:

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-blackberry-q30-logo.jpg

The design is pretty much using the same language as the Z30 concept for more consistency across range (something I wished BlackBerry did with the Z10 and Q10 but didn’t).

Front:

The top part of the device will be using the same curved glass around the sides to make it easier to use gestures, while allowing the display to be closer to the edge of the device (or at least, looks to be closer to the edge). The screen is a 3.5” AMOLED display.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-q30-v2.jpg

The keyboard has the same iconic BlackBerry design, with frets separating the keyboard and the glass screen. The frets will nicely round off to the side with the same curve as the glass screen. The chin will be matte plastic, like most Bold series device previously. The side will have the same curve as the glass screen as well.

Also, since BBRY seems to be moving towards AMOLED displays, I would love to see some sort of Nokia ClearBlack technology used on it. Meaning when the display is off, the screen blends in with the glass. It makes the display seem larger than it is, plus with 10.2, BBRY seems to be moving UI elements/buttons closer to the edge of the display, having this will make it look a lot better.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-q301.jpg

Back:

The back will feature the same sculpted design as the previous Z30. Yes, a flat back might look simpler, but it certainly doesn’t feel as nice to hold. Some manufacturers in the pursuit of thinness make the device feel extremely uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-q30-2.jpg

The thicker top and bottom back, is actually inspired partly by the sculpted design of the Moto X, and partly the Torch 9860. The 9860 was a joy to hold in the hand, also it was particularly nice to hold in landscape mode. Something I had hoped to achieve with my previous Z30 concept too.

[CONCEPT] Next Generation BlackBerry 10 Devices-q30-3.jpg

Size:

Personally, I don’t mind big screens, but I am not a huge fan of huge phones. I like phones I can feel comfortable using with one hand, and to be able to type one handed on a physical keyboard device, the device can’t be too wide. Since the Q10 has a 1:1 aspect ratio, it is impossible to make a bigger screen without increasing the width too much.

My concept is a millimetre or so wider and taller than the Q10, almost imperceptible perhaps. This allows for a display size of 3.5”. Obviously since it is shorter than the Z30, there needs to be somewhere to squeeze in all the components, thus the device will naturally be thicker than the Z30. Oh, and it will be the same width as the Z30 concept.

——-

In terms of specs, I guess the rumoured Z30 would be perfectly fine by me, BUT, I do want a bigger battery, Since the Z30 is rumoured to have around 2800mah, I want at least 3000mah on the Q30. I don’t mind it being non removable. Find a way to squeeze that in and I’ll be happy.

And… I guess that’s about it.

This being my dream concept and all, I still won’t buy it unless BlackBerry put in more work into BB10 for physical keyboard devices. I see a huge potential in devices like these to be hugely productive and efficient.

-----
    BBM Channel: C00015605
    Twitter: @axhng
    phuoc, Acumenight and BroncoVAL like this.
    08-09-13 07:33 PM
    Size:

Personally, I dont mind big screens, but I am not a huge fan of huge phones. I like phones I can feel comfortable using with one hand, and to be able to type one handed on a physical keyboard device, the device cant be too wide. Since the Q10 has a 1:1 aspect ratio, it is impossible to make a bigger screen without increasing the width too much.

My concept is a millimetre or so wider and taller than the Q10, almost imperceptible perhaps. This allows for a display size of 3.5. Obviously since it is shorter than the Z30, there needs to be somewhere to squeeze in all the components, thus the device will naturally be thicker than the Z30. Oh, and it will be the same width as the Z30 concept.
    I think from some of the pics that have leaked, the z30 exceeds the width of a z10 by comfortably more than just a mm or so, which means that there is room to grow beyond the limits you suggest and keeping to a more minimal increase might be more suitable for a direct q10 upgrade (a q20 rather than the q30 you label it) and then they could take things further in an actual q30 and end up with a display in the 4.2" - 4.5" range that would cater to the vocal slider minority too.

In terms of specs, I guess the rumoured Z30 would be perfectly fine by me, BUT, I do want a bigger battery, Since the Z30 is rumoured to have around 2800mah, I want at least 3000mah on the Q30. I dont mind it being non removable. Find a way to squeeze that in and Ill be happy.
    This is one thing that they should most definitely avoid on a design like yours which is more of a q20 (next gen q10 rather than a q30 which would more imply a large display qwerty for parity with z30 at this time) as there needs to be a true workhorse in the range where somebody can still replace their battery as needed.
    08-10-13 07:31 AM
    My credit card is ready, sign me up for a q30

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    08-11-13 11:11 PM
    Thank you for the excellent thought you put into that.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    08-12-13 02:04 AM
    Looks beautiful. One question, where would you put the BlackBerry name on the front of the device?

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    08-14-13 06:33 PM
    Looks beautiful. One question, where would you put the BlackBerry name on the front of the device?

If given a choice, I wouldn't want a logo at the front at all. I think it's really not necessary. The QWERTY keyboard itself is signature enough imo.
    08-14-13 06:56 PM
    If given a choice, I wouldn't want a logo at the front at all. I think it's really not necessary. The QWERTY keyboard itself is signature enough imo.
    True enough but you know they would still put one on. Great device concept though. Love it

08-14-13 07:14 PM
    True enough but you know they would still put one on. Great device concept though. Love it

Yeah, I have no doubt that they would still want to put it there. But it's a dream concept after all. Hahaha. Thanks man.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:45 PM
    I would look to the Sony Xperia ZL for design. Big screen small body.
    08-15-13 09:54 AM
    I want a BB10 slider. If BlackBerry stays in business I'd buy one. If it doesn't make one then the z10 is my last BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:23 PM
    The Q30 doesn't look that much different, keeping it a 1:1 ratio doesn't look nice. The screen can go a little taller and if the aspect ratio is adjusted, it can show more info.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    08-18-13 10:06 AM
43 12