01-14-11 07:46 PM
26 12
tools
    Since my estimated announcement day of the LTE Storm has so far been off, I've updated the concept with the new rumours.

• has the same touch bezel as the PlayBook, with possibly four dedicated tap zones (call, menu, back, end)
    • It will most likely be launch on Verizon or Sprint.
    • It will not be called a Storm.
    • It will have somewhat the same specs as the PlayBook except with a different processor
    • Most likely is a Snapdragon proccessor)
    • 1GB RAM
    • It will be running a QNX OS with the spirit (general design, personalized touches) of the current BBOS platform, but with drastic improvements to the GUI (thanks to TAT). Most likely widgets.
    • EVDO rev A and LTE/WiMax, depending on who carries it.
    • it will have a front facing camera.
    • no hardware keyboard. No SurePress either (likely).
    • comparable battery life.
    • 3.7"/4" screen

thoughts?
    Last edited by grahamf; 01-08-11 at 11:47 PM.
    01-08-11 12:07 AM
    Since nothing was announced at CES, I'm guessing that any new RIM prones would probly be launch at the next even RIM is going to. RIM hasthe following events scheduled...

Lotusphere
    Orlando, FL, United States
    January 30 – February 3, 2011

Mobile World Congress
    Barcelona, Spain
    February 14 – February 17, 2011

BlackBerry World (formerly WES)
    May 3 – 5, 2011

WES is way to late to reveal a QNX Blackberry, so one of the other events are likely.
    01-08-11 01:01 AM
    The eternal optimist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 01:03 AM
    The eternal optimist.

Actually I'm rather disappointed that nothing was announced yet. I'm still hoping but my belief that RIM will make a comeback is slowly fading.
    01-08-11 01:08 AM
    Me to. I think CB is filled with former and soon to be former BB users who had hoped RIM would throw out a competitive device. Ill probably be moving on to a droid very soon I can't wait another year for a maybe. My storm died and this pearl, while back its prime was great, is killing me. Maybe in a year or two RIM will have its isht together and ill give them a look.

Last edited by hootyhoo; 01-08-11 at 01:20 AM.
    01-08-11 01:17 AM
    What about Jan 11th. Could this be a Verizon RIM Superphone event?

01-08-11 02:37 AM
    What about Jan 11th. Could this be a Verizon RIM Superphone event?

99% sure its iPhone on Verizon.

That bezel may need to shrink some on a phone..... taking up a lot of real estate.
    01-08-11 09:05 AM
    WES is way to late to reveal a QNX Blackberry, so one of the other events are likely.
    While i'm not here to dash your hopes..or slag RIM..but Mike even said in the one CES interview that there won't be any "super phones" coming anytime soon. QNX most likely needs dual core processors to run smoothly..and he said outright that he doesnt believe dual cores are plausible right now (for RIM).
    01-08-11 02:33 PM
    CX even hinted at no BBs until BBW basically. You just have to wait about 5 months and then you can maybe see something new
    01-08-11 02:38 PM
    Since my estimated announcement day of the LTE Storm has so far been off, I've updated the concept with the new rumours.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_qgXMVmqgjAk/TS.../s800/BBSP.jpg
    • has the same touch bezel as the PlayBook, with possibly four dedicated tap zones (call, menu, back, end)
    • It will have somewhat the same specs as the PlayBook except with a different processor
    • 1GB RAM
    • It will be running a QNX OS with the spirit (general design, personalized touches) of the current BBOS platform, but with drastic improvements to the GUI (thanks to TAT). Most likely widgets.
    • will most likely launch with the PlayBook
    • 3.7"/4" screen

thoughts?
    I really like the design and the specs you give it... and I feel that RIM is working on a device like this, BUT, I am 95% sure that it will NOT release with the PB... we would have seen something if a device were to drop with the PB... so far all RIM has is the PM and they are quote, working on, qnx devices to come late 2011, early 2012...
    01-08-11 03:05 PM
    5 months from now RIM has to be kidding I will be posting in another platforms forums there is no F%$#ing way I'm gonna wait that long! Rim expects me to wait LOL just did some interesting math Storm 1 released 11-21-2008 news of a possible storm 3 with 4G and qnx at released at bbw behind glass is 834 days or 2 years, 3 months, and 12 days then tach on another 4-5 months just to get hands on then who knows when a release date will be possibly 11-21-2011??

sorry math a little off the web site i used kept putting the may 3rd date as march 5th lol
    Last edited by rookie83; 01-08-11 at 08:50 PM. Reason: incorrect math from a web site
    01-08-11 08:41 PM
    Send me one when RIM sends you a shipment
    01-08-11 09:50 PM
    cx was talking more about blackberrys with qnx. there will be more blackberrys with os 6
    01-08-11 10:03 PM
    cx was talking more about blackberrys with qnx. there will be more blackberrys with os 6
    We dont know that ... So far nothing at all in that respect. And why would they release an OS6 device in may (which seems like that is the earliest we would possibly get a new device) when QNX devices will be dropping 5 months later ... That would be pretty bad marketing and not too good for RIM...
    01-08-11 10:13 PM
    I really like the design and the specs you give it... and I feel that RIM is working on a device like this, BUT, I am 95% sure that it will NOT release with the PB... we would have seen something if a device were to drop with the PB... so far all RIM has is the PM and they are quote, working on, qnx devices to come late 2011, early 2012...
    Sorry, I copied & pasted the specs from my previous thread. I meant to delete that.
    01-08-11 11:47 PM
    My two cents: RIM releases that phone we saw a while back with the "M" on it with OS6. It will not be for Verizon, they are off the BlackBerry wagon with Iphone and Android on board. Att does not get it either as they are also gonna go towards Android starting the the Atrix. So, I believe Sprint gets the phone with an outside chance tmobile gets it because of the gsm factor... Well that's what I think.

01-09-11 02:11 PM
    My two cents: RIM releases that phone we saw a while back with the "M" on it with OS6. It will not be for Verizon, they are off the BlackBerry wagon with Iphone and Android on board. Att does not get it either as they are also gonna go towards Android starting the the Atrix. So, I believe Sprint gets the phone with an outside chance tmobile gets it because of the gsm factor... Well that's what I think.

Don't think rim and vzw are done for. At&t was all about the iPhone and T-Mobile was all over the g1 and mytouch android phones. rim has devices on all carriers and they wouldn't leave one of the biggest, if not the biggest, carrier with nothing but the old 9650 with OS6.

01-09-11 03:10 PM
    Don't think rim and vzw are done for. At&t was all about the iPhone and T-Mobile was all over the g1 and mytouch android phones. rim has devices on all carriers and they wouldn't leave one of the biggest, if not the biggest, carrier with nothing but the old 9650 with OS6.

Why not? Reportedly they offered them the 9570 with OS6 and Verizon refused it. I understand why they refused, but may not have made RIM happy. Anyway Verizon is going to be pimpin the iPhone hard, because they probably had to commit to a large number to sell. AT&T is going to be pimpin Android and WinMo7 hard, maybe the Torch too. Leaves TMo and Sprint, and Sprint has already got the first 3G/4G Playbook deal solidified. VZW and RIM aren't done, but they may have not as great relationship as they used to have. I don't think its VZW's fault as RIM really hasn't offered anything exciting in a while.
    01-09-11 03:26 PM
    Imagine the Verizon conference was for the iPhone and new BB?
    That would be a horrible idea by RIM considering the iPhone would completely overshadow it.
    Although I would be happy lol

01-09-11 04:08 PM
    Imagine the Verizon conference was for the iPhone and new BB?
    That would be a horrible idea by RIM considering the iPhone would completely overshadow it.
    Although I would be happy lol

In order for Verizon to get the iPhone, they likely had to make concessions to Apple. I'm sure one of those was an exclusive launch event.
    01-09-11 04:32 PM

• 1GB RAM
    • 3.7"/4" screen

thoughts?
    I really like your concept, however, a few things....
    Really the picture just looks like what the PB will look like when they actually have it in portrait mode.( I understand that's where you pulled the concept from) Still looks cool thou
    I'm gonna say TAT was responsible for the gesture features on the PB, therefore going forward with the mobile QNX OS, RIM is probably gonna fit these gestures onto their phones and do away with the buttons. So no buttoms at the bottom anymore. I know you were trying to imply this it seems but I'm just thinkn we won't see those buttons anymore.
    However, the Storm 3 won't look like this due to the hardware already being decided on, since it's been worked on for a very long time. RIM's superphones in the future will probably look more like this thou.
    01-09-11 07:59 PM
    Since nothing was announced at CES, I'm guessing that any new RIM prones would probly be launch at the next even RIM is going to. RIM hasthe following events scheduled...

Lotusphere
    January 30 February 3, 2011

Mobile World Congress
    Barcelona, Spain
    February 14 February 17, 2011

BlackBerry World (formerly WES)
    May 3 5, 2011

Graham, I would LOVE to believe you, but according to Mike L. the QNX phones are way down the road...May is less than 5 months away, hardily enough time to market a QNX phone, don't you think???
    01-09-11 08:36 PM
    That would be a lot of wasted space that could be more screen. It looks like a picture frame.

01-10-11 02:02 AM
    I think your specs will be pretty close to the real thing and it will definitely not have surepress, it was something different and worth the try but it just wasn't good. I expect to see the Playbook start selling right after their big commercial at Superbowl and a couple months later have a new phone or phones come out.

I think Blackberry World is just too big of a gap to introduce the new and improved BB devices. My guess is in February RIM will announce a new phone (Storm3), just so that we have something to look forward too and BBW will have 2-3 phones announced (Torch2, Bold Touchscreen, and a new Curve), I'm counting on 4

I personally hope for the Storm3, that they keep that form factor in the picture that was released in the summer. That essentially is what the Storm2 should have been but with OS6. All I'm asking of RIM is don't drop the ball for a 3rd time in a Storm device aspect.
    01-13-11 03:00 AM
    I think your specs will be pretty close to the real thing and it will definitely not have surepress, it was something different and worth the try but it just wasn't good. I expect to see the Playbook start selling right after their big commercial at Superbowl and a couple months later have a new phone or phones come out.

I think Blackberry World is just too big of a gap to introduce the new and improved BB devices. My guess is in February RIM will announce a new phone (Storm3), just so that we have something to look forward too and BBW will have 2-3 phones announced (Torch2, Bold Touchscreen, and a new Curve), I'm counting on 4

I personally hope for the Storm3, that they keep that form factor in the picture that was released in the summer. That essentially is what the Storm2 should have been but with OS6. All I'm asking of RIM is don't drop the ball for a 3rd time in a Storm device aspect.
    We all would LOVE to believe in that time frame; but seriously, what was said at CES and all indications, even May would be an early date.
    01-13-11 12:18 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD