Take the current 9700, integrate something like an OtterBox into it's construction, add the internals of the 9360 (or 9900, hopefully), and a massive battery, possibly 3000mAh and a powerful radio with excellent reception.

Maybe have the option of having a satellite radio for nearly worldwide coverage, if possible.

Although it might need something like a PlayBook rapid charger to make the recharging from dead bearable, it would be excellent for people working in harsh conditions where normal blackberries will die too soon in.

It would be awesome if RIM could make it military-spec; But i doubt we'd see this in the first generation.

thoughts?
    09-03-11 02:04 PM
    But i doubt we[...]
    I doubt we'll see it at all.
    09-03-11 02:17 PM
    It is my understanding that RIM already makes special MilSpec units for certain governments with totally unique hardware and software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 06:56 AM
    orly?

10char
    09-04-11 09:44 AM
    I wish they would. as for already building them for governments, can't they make a version for us consumers? I would like a blackberry I could run over with a truck and still make a call with!
    09-05-11 03:02 AM
    I wasn't even aware they made a version that's milspec. and I'll doubt it until i see it.
    09-05-11 01:42 PM
    I wish they would. as for already building them for governments, can't they make a version for us consumers? I would like a blackberry I could run over with a truck and still make a call with!
    Some of them have survived being run over; I forget which ones.
    09-05-11 01:42 PM
    Most people would still put a case on the thing. It would be like carring a bag phone in your back pocket.

Seriously, I think the Otterbox fills this gap. They don't need to fragment their lineup anymore.
    09-09-11 12:56 PM
    Most people would still put a case on the thing. It would be like carring a bag phone in your back pocket.

Seriously, I think the Otterbox fills this gap. They don't need to fragment their lineup anymore.
    Yeah I was thinking it would be better to go with something like an otterbox. but with a built-in bigger battery and it's own antenna.
    09-09-11 02:58 PM
    I disagree that Otterbox cases fill this gap. Lately, Otterbox has been failing miserably with their rubber outer sleeve. Especially the one on the new 9900's. Theyve lost interest or theyre complacent, either way its my opinion that they are incapable of producing a product that fits most construction needs...meaning it should last more than 'out of the holster 3 times' before it stretches beyond usefulness. For those Otterbox fanboys, Ive used nothing but otterbox since my first BB and they are the best thats offered right now.
    Now, I believe by relieving Otterbox of its poorly kept responsibility to build a product that lasts for the life of my phone, we can then look into integrating that case into the construction of a blackberry. It shouldn't be difficult. The best part about this design would be battery pulls without further ruining the otterbox case. The outer shell integrates into the BB form factor becoming essentially the phone itself and it can be dipped, sprayed, injection molded or whatever, with that rubbery crapola they put on every phone these days...I think it would rock, and most importantly...it would save Otterbox time and money shipping myself and thousands of others new outer rubber pieces.

Thank you for your time lol
    09-11-11 08:03 PM
    Ah, I dont think the case is the problem with current BB phones. Have you ever noticed BB's only get compared to other BB's? Because in most instances, they dont compare favorably to other smart phones.

09-18-11 09:08 AM
    I know they have made a special phone for Obama. Well it's more of a pager/email device since the voice calling feature has been disabled.

It is my understanding that RIM already makes special MilSpec units for certain governments with totally unique hardware and software.

09-19-11 12:29 PM
    I know they have made a special phone for Obama. Well it's more of a pager/email device since the voice calling feature has been disabled.
    Obama has a ten year old BB?
    09-19-11 01:43 PM
    Just got a new blackberry torch and need more contacts African American female from Mississippi cuter than ever so go add me ppl pin:26BAF06A

09-19-11 05:23 PM
    How would they sell a milspec device to the general public when they probably charge the govt thousands of dollars for such a device,,,,,, if it exists?

09-19-11 05:52 PM

Rim does have a BlackBerry made to Mil Specs supper duty and very hard to hack into.
    09-19-11 06:10 PM
    yes, the software is military spec.

I'm referring to the hardware being able to pass military wear&tear tests.
    09-19-11 07:23 PM
    Probably everyone has had an Otterbox on their Blackberries at one time or another. I used to wait weeks to months to fall in love with a new phone--Blackberry or otherwise--before it would come available or I would just decide to spend the money, but now I get one at the first available opportunity. I think the Otterbox Defender cases make most phones close to mil-spec for dust, shock resistance, and even splash resistance, but now I am wishing I'd never read this thread because I figure a true mil-spec phone would have crazy-good reception and battery life, be completely viewable in direct sunlight, and have all of the Otterbox advantages... and I want one.
    10-17-11 02:15 PM
    Mil-Spec = exclusive, low volume, not very practical and very expensive.

It would be nice to see something more in line with the yellow Sony "Sports" products, boom boxes, walkman, etc. They were water resistant and shock resistant with rubber seals and rubber plugs for the jacks/ports. They were also made of thick plastic and all the small bits fit perfectly and were rounded. Too bad Sony doesn't make stuff like they used too. We had the Japanese, and now the Japanese have the Koreans to worry about/compete with.

That design built around the latest Curve would give people the extra durability and water resistance without much of an increase in weight and seems like it could be put out at about the same price as a 98X0 or 99XX.

I bought one of these when I was in my late teens and it was great, even sounded better then the non Sports models because of the solid build around the speakers. I took it to a party one night and I woke up on a couch in the morning. A couple of people had it laying on its back and they were pouring beer into the speaker grills and laughing at each other and saying "Look dude, its still playing!!!".

I had it until the mid 90s and one of the guys at work knocked it off a lightbar on a workbench and it dropped about 7 feet onto a tile floor. The casset was shot but a coat hanger for an antenna got the radio working again. It lasted about 7 or 8 long hard years.

Last edited by olblueyez; 10-17-11 at 10:30 PM.
    10-17-11 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD