02-15-15 09:32 AM
59 123
tools
    does anyone know if they plan on making a newer device based on the q10 design WITHOUT the toolbelt? I for one dont miss the trackpad at this point and have no plans to get the classic nor the passport. I'm hoping theres a Q10 rendition down the pipeline
    Last edited by shriscean; 09-30-14 at 05:58 PM.
    09-30-14 12:17 PM
    have not heard that rumor, no.
    09-30-14 12:31 PM
    I can only hope as I feel the same way you do OP.

Posted via CB10
    troubauk likes this.
    09-30-14 02:51 PM
    That's why you pay 2500$ for the p'9983

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-30-14 03:08 PM
    It wouldn't really make sense, u can use the classic without the belt, and it's from factor and size make the Q10 redundant.

I think we will have 2 branch's of qwerty devices, the likes of classic,and the likes of passport.

Classic should have a cheaper "curve" variant, and the passport, probably the rumoured visa variant.

We will need 2 touch devices, z50 and another z3

And this will complete the selection.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and bigjman like this.
    09-30-14 03:18 PM
    It wouldn't really make sense, u can use the classic without the belt, and it's from factor and size make the Q10 redundant.

I think we will have 2 branch's of qwerty devices, the likes of classic,and the likes of passport.

Classic should have a cheaper "curve" variant, and the passport, probably the rumoured visa variant.

We will need 2 touch devices, z50 and another z3

And this will complete the selection.

Posted via CB10
    I seriously hope you're wrong. I'd hate to have to choose between the God-Awful Passport and the Classic for my next berry.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:52 PM
    We could argue that the Q10 actually makes the Classic redundant, and this is actually humorous since the Classic hasn't event been released yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 05:07 PM
    We could argue that the Q10 actually makes the Classic redundant, and this is actually humorous since the Classic hasn't event been released yet.

Posted via CB10
    Great point. I dont see how anyone who used a Q10 could go back to using a tool belt device
    09-30-14 05:58 PM
    I both agree and disagree, while the Q10 works great without the toolbelt, I would appreciate a trackpad once in awhile, and having dedicated talk/end buttons can be beneficial. It would have been best if the Classic launched alongside the Q10 though so people could choose then. Unfortunately it does seem as though the Q10 form factor will be eliminated in favor of the classic, but maybe the Passport2 will have more of a Q10 factor with the touch keyboard, that would be a worthy replacement and fit well between both lines

BB for Life
    10-01-14 11:53 AM
    I both agree and disagree, while the Q10 works great without the toolbelt, I would appreciate a trackpad once in awhile, and having dedicated talk/end buttons can be beneficial. It would have been best if the Classic launched alongside the Q10 though so people could choose then. Unfortunately it does seem as though the Q10 form factor will be eliminated in favor of the classic, but maybe the Passport2 will have more of a Q10 factor with the touch keyboard, that would be a worthy replacement and fit well between both lines

BB for Life
    I agree. I'd like to see the touch keyboard on a Q10, 3.5 inch screen, same curves and form factor, silver bezel. Don't mind me I'm just wistfully thinking.

Posted via CB10
    Markus Mohr likes this.
    10-01-14 12:35 PM
    I agree. I'd like to see the touch keyboard on a Q10, 3.5 inch screen, same curves and form factor, silver bezel. Don't mind me I'm just wistfully thinking.

Posted via CB10
    +1 for that. I d love a Q10 with a 3.5 inch screen and touch sensitive keyboard without the belt. IMO the touch sensitive keyboard made the toolbelt abit outdated. They could've apply it. On all devices. It's just MY opinion though (and still enjoy the tool belt on my old curve)

Powered by Blackberry
    Markus Mohr likes this.
    10-01-14 01:05 PM
    Great point. I dont see how anyone who used a Q10 could go back to using a tool belt device
    I guess only those idiots among us who don't like to stare at their phones for 5 seconds after touching the hang up button like a moron to make sure it is properly hung up, or that don't like to fandango around trying to get a cursor in the right place. Such dummies...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-01-14 06:10 PM
    I tried out the "trackpad" keyboard and it was no substitute for the real thing. I can certainly get by without a trackpad on my 9900 but at times it was handy. I have never missed the trackpad on my Z10. The Q10 was a failure because it had a tiny screen and no trackpad. There would be no advantage in having a new Q phone without the trackpad when the screen is 3.5 inches or less. The Classic with a trackpad and a 3.5 inch screen might be 5 mm taller than a Q10 with a 3.5 inch screen.

The new Q10 should just be a Passport mini at 4 inches. I think that the Classic will be a great phone as is the Passport.
    I can't say the same for the Q10 with all of its quality issues, small screen and no toolbelt.

One final point about the trackpad. Everytime I see a BBOS user on their phone ( in a theatre for example) I have noted that there is a good number, maybe even the majority , that use the trackpad instead of touching the screen.
    snowden_generation likes this.
    10-01-14 09:48 PM
    I guess only those idiots among us who don't like to stare at their phones for 5 seconds after touching the hang up button like a moron to make sure it is properly hung up, or that don't like to fandango around trying to get a cursor in the right place. Such dummies...

Those Sound like personal problems. I manage to hang up and move cursors around without losing my hair about it so I guess in your case the trackpad still has a market.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:34 AM
    There is no downside to having the tool belt. The screen is as big as it can be for the Bold design. The tool belt adds very little to the length of the device. The length being about the same as a Z10.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    10-02-14 11:56 AM
    There is no downside to having the tool belt. The screen is as big as it can be for the Bold design. The tool belt adds very little to the length of the device. The length being about the same as a Z10.
    For you there might not be a downside, but for some of us the tool belt will just get in the way. While it may not add much length to device, it is still a barrier separating the keyboard from the screen; and for those of us that have become incredibly proficient at using the Q10, it may just become a burden.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:59 AM
    I totally agree with you, I use a q10 for my daily driver and find the belt obsolete, but it seems the majority polled thought otherwise.

And honestly though the belt is obsolete for me, but it's presence is non disruptive, I wouldn't mind if the q10 had a belt or not.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 12:30 PM
    I totally agree with you, I use a q10 for my daily driver and find the belt obsolete, but it seems the majority polled thought otherwise.

And honestly though the belt is obsolete for me, but it's presence is non disruptive, I wouldn't mind if the q10 had a belt or not.

Posted via CB10
    I'd hate to see the design and form factor we've come to know/like as the Q10 be discontinued due to the need for a toolbelt Qwerty device.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 01:39 PM
    Those Sound like personal problems. I manage to hang up and move cursors around without losing my hair about it so I guess in your case the trackpad still has a market.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it depends on how important it is to be 100% sure that a call is ended, if you never have a time where you actually care that someone accidentally hears your conversation after you believe a call is hung up, or if you're never in a situation where you need to make and end calls without looking at the phone, then the touchscreen controls will work just fine for you.

It's a difference in preference and priority. My reply was to the person who acted as if it's some unheard of reason to want the toolbelt back. If you don't need it, then *applaud* good for you. But don't apply your personal situation, priorities, and preferences to every one else as if you're the gold standard for every one else to try to meet. That's pretty much the purpose of my response... ("you" is stated figuratively)

LLAmos likes this.
    10-02-14 02:04 PM
    For you there might not be a downside, but for some of us the tool belt will just get in the way. While it may not add much length to device, it is still a barrier separating the keyboard from the screen; and for those of us that have become incredibly proficient at using the Q10, it may just become a burden.

Posted via CB10
    Congrats. I'm proficient with the Q10 as well. I'll just be much more proficient if it had a toolbelt.

10-02-14 02:05 PM
    I seriously hope you're wrong. I'd hate to have to choose between the God-Awful Passport and the Classic for my next berry.

Posted via CB10
    Just stay with your Q10.
    I will buy the Passport and the Classic but the Q10 stays!!!

Posted via my Z30
    10-02-14 02:06 PM
    Well, it depends on how important it is to be 100% sure that a call is ended, if you never have a time where you actually care that someone accidentally hears your conversation after you believe a call is hung up, or if you're never in a situation where you need to make and end calls without looking at the phone, then the touchscreen controls will work just fine for you.

It's a difference in preference and priority. My reply was to the person who acted as if it's some unheard of reason to want the toolbelt back. If you don't need it, then *applaud* good for you. But don't apply your personal situation, priorities, and preferences to every one else as if you're the gold standard for every one else to try to meet. That's pretty much the purpose of my response... ("you" is stated figuratively)

If you want/need a tool belt, I *applaud* for wanting/needing one but I'm not applying anything as the "Gold Standard." I never said they should discontinue the Classic for those that prefer the toolbelt I simply said I'd hate for the Classic to be the next gen Q10 with blackberry having no plans to make a newer Q10 based on its original form factor and design (curved edges, no toolbelt).
    10-02-14 05:27 PM
    If you want/need a tool belt, I *applaud* for wanting/needing one but I'm not applying anything as the "Gold Standard." I never said they should discontinue the Classic for those that prefer the toolbelt I simply said I'd hate for the Classic to be the next gen Q10 with blackberry having no plans to make a newer Q10 based on its original form factor and design (curved edges, no toolbelt).
    Actually, you more said how you cannot understand or imagine why anyone would want to get a toolbelt... Look at the comment I initially replied to.

10-02-14 06:34 PM
    I suppose they could improve the camera, reduce the bezels etc but there really isn't a market for a premium small (less than 3.5 inches) device and the Classic. There might be a market for a really inexpensive Q to replace the Curve.
    10-02-14 07:49 PM
    Actually, you more said how you cannot understand or imagine why anyone would want to get a toolbelt... Look at the comment I initially replied to.

I didn't say I couldn't understand/imagine why anyone would want to get a toolbelt device I said I don't understand why anyone WHO HAS USED A Q10 would want to go back to using a toolbelt device. If I was still using a toolbelt device and never used a Q10 I would probably want a classic as well but that's not the case I've grown quite accustomed to using the Q10. If you or anyone else who has used a Q10 would still revert back to a toolbelt device it's your prerogative to do so.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 09:03 PM
59 123