Anyone know when Canada will launch lte more specifically bell and Telus. also the others if you guys know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 06:12 AM
    It is already in a testing stage and most likely be out by the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011.

LTE spec'd phones are starting to leak. It could only mean one thing......LTE in the near future.

I think everyone needs to relax about LTE. Seriously.... why does anyone need 80-100Mbit on their phones?

I have 7Mbit DSL for home and its more then what i need. I do surfing/emailing/torrenting/gaming...

Can anyone give me a real reason why we need that speed to browse the net on a mobile browser and send email? I know it will also give more coverage.... but am i missing the whole point of LTE???
    07-06-10 05:41 PM
    Not to big a deal for me but curious how far Canada might be. Plus might as well have faster internet

07-06-10 05:50 PM
    I think everyone needs to relax about LTE. Seriously.... why does anyone need 80-100Mbit on their phones?

I have 7Mbit DSL for home and its more then what i need. I do surfing/emailing/torrenting/gaming...

Can anyone give me a real reason why we need that speed to browse the net on a mobile browser and send email? I know it will also give more coverage.... but am i missing the whole point of LTE???
    Tethering. When someone in my house is downloading torrents, my connection slows to a crawl.

07-07-10 12:33 PM
    From people I know, LTE in Canada is scheduled for 2012.
    07-13-10 10:31 PM
    From people I know, LTE in Canada is scheduled for 2012.
    Those "people" are wrong
    07-14-10 04:17 PM
    According to Telus CEO Darren Entwistle, LTE launch is NOT imminent.

Register or Login to Subscripton Services

Ignore the goofy link title. These are comments he made on May 5th, 2010, as reported in IT World Canada.

Also, if you google this and see lots of 2010 launch dates for 4G, most of them are people misinterpreting Bell and Telus' initial HSPA network press releases.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 07-15-10 at 08:30 AM.
    07-15-10 08:25 AM
    According to Telus CEO Darren Entwistle, LTE launch is NOT imminent.

Register or Login to Subscripton Services

Ignore the goofy link title. These are comments he made on May 5th, 2010, as reported in IT World Canada.

Also, if you google this and see lots of 2010 launch dates for 4G, most of them are people misinterpreting Bell and Telus' initial HSPA network press releases.

Dont worry, you're gonna see it sooner then we all think. When the competition has it or at least announces that its just around the corner...Every single carrier will follow. That will most likely be sometime in 2011
    07-18-10 09:31 AM
    From what i've heard, the network will be ready in major population centers by late 2010, early 2011. However it will not go live until early 2012, due to the fact Telus and Bell have to make a buck on hspa+ devices first, and we have to get Sask and Man networks up to HSPA+ as well since they have only CDMA coverage.

I am sure there is then going to be an extensive beta test period and possibly an international roaming ability to be on it since Verizon will have it pretty soon. Regardless, do u think Telus will restrict the radios on phones that will be LTE capable that are released, such as the storm3, or if they will pull any other chincy moves.

I for one will not be upgrading from my S2 until Telus supports LTE fully.
    07-20-10 06:28 PM
    Dont worry, you're gonna see it sooner then we all think. When the competition has it or at least announces that its just around the corner...Every single carrier will follow. That will most likely be sometime in 2011
    I'm sure it will happen quickly when Telus is ready. They've positioned themselves well. It is a very easy upgrade from their current network.
    (Relatively speaking, it's an easy upgrade).
    07-20-10 10:43 PM
    While it's not LTE, it's definitely a speed boost. According to mobilesyrup, Telus has announced a doubling of peak speed to 42MBS, in early 2011.
    'Dual Cell' technology.

TELUS announces HSPA+ Dual Cell deployment for Q1 2011... speeds to reach 42 Mb/s | MobileSyrup.com
    08-03-10 11:23 AM
    I'm not to sure if i'll see the speed diference, but the focus on improving battery life will be nice.
    08-03-10 12:37 PM
    I'm sure it will happen quickly when Telus is ready. They've positioned themselves well. It is a very easy upgrade from their current network.
    (Relatively speaking, it's an easy upgrade).

Belus said that was one of the reasons for building the HSPA+ network was so the rollout of LTE when it is ready will be much easier than it would have been jumping from old CDMA right to LTE like Verizon is going

Belus was able to help pay for the costs of the LTE upgrade by launching the HSPA first getting Olympic dollars they wouldn't have gotten, as well as paying for the installation in 2 parts one with HSPA upgrades, then LTE, also resulting in more potential device sales.
    08-06-10 07:46 PM
    I think they want to make up for the money spend building the HSPA+ network before going to LTE...
    08-06-10 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD