02-14-14 01:55 AM
36 12
tools
    I saw one post in the thread, did you get a Blackberry for Christmas. The guy claimed to have a z50 dev edition device. I don't know if this was true but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted via my awesome Z30!
    01-27-14 03:17 PM
    Do you not realize that the Foxconn Jakarta and other developing countries phones that Foxconn will be making is essentially licensing BB10? BlackBerry retains some control ad their name is on the phone but almost none of the risk.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 06:03 PM
    That was Thor's plan... But at this point, not even BlackBerry wants BB10, so why would anyone else. It's much more likely that we see BlackBerry come out with a device running BB10 in the background with a full Android experience than for someone else to license BB10.

As for devices... they know they need a truly entry level device, so they have announced one. And enterprise and physical keyboards is their "bread and butter" so they have announced a newer Q10 type device. But they also know that they can't compete with everyone else on releasing top of the line (or middle of the line) hardware every six months or even every 12 months. The Z10, Z30 and Q10 are going to be around for a while... most likely the Q5 will fade away as the new entry level devices come online. This should workout fine for enterprise customers that are prone to keep device in use for much longer than consumers are.

I don't see BlackBerry being a competitor in the consumer market - BB10 failed and they are throwing in the towel. If someone wants to buy a BlackBerry device they will be fine with it, they just aren't going to build the next and greatest device to try and compete with HTC, Samsung, Motorola and Apple.
    You may be right.

It's just sad knowing they could have been in the consumer game too with a bit of effective marketing.

Great hardware, great OS. Could have been a hit for consumers too if they had only told people about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :

BlackBerry Marketing - shame on you.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 08:57 PM
    Back on topic, guys.
    PlayBookUserMT likes this.
    01-27-14 09:47 PM
    Try the Z30, give it a test drive, regardless of specs, which are very good but have been disputed, won't get into that, this thing performs amazingly, it may surprise you how good of a device it is.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    I will have to wait, I am with T Mobile now, and Yes it might have to goto ebay and give it a try.
    01-27-14 10:07 PM
    Pardon me, but I travel the world on business... over a quarter of a million miles a year... and I can assure you... only the BlackBerry faithful even know the Z10 exists, let alone the Z30.

BlackBerry Marketing... shame on you!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    I will back you up. I just spent two months in the middle east and nobody knows much about bb10. Across Europe very few people know about bb10. Across America, nobody knows about bb10... I was taking down my cleaners number and her daughter asked what phone I had, I said BlackBerry touch screen and she answered " oh who would've known BlackBerry has a phone like iphone". This happened in Toronto, yesterday!

In the 15 countries I've been in the last year, I can agree very very few people know that BlackBerry has a touch screen. People see the BlackBerry marketing, but it says nothing and is a horrible marketing campaign worldwide!

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    02-01-14 01:17 PM
    Pardon me, but I travel the world on business... over a quarter of a million miles a year... and I can assure you... only the BlackBerry faithful even know the Z10 exists, let alone the Z30.

BlackBerry Marketing... shame on you!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Unfortunately, my experience only backs up this statement. I will be the first to admit that I do not have a random sampling large enough to extrapolate, however, I certainly agree with this post.

With my Z10 in the Otterbox Defender all of my friends and colleagues think I have an iPhone. When I tell them it's a BlackBerry they're all shocked that BlackBerry makes a touch screen device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    02-03-14 02:53 AM
    So how do we get BlackBerry to recognize they will remain unknown until they market their current offerings?

I've heard a lot of good things about Chen... but when are they going to tell the world instead of just the faithful?

They don't have much time... and I've seen no indication yet that they'll step up to the marketing challenges.

They need to do it NOW!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-03-14 07:08 AM
    So how do we get BlackBerry to recognize they will remain unknown until they market their current offerings?

I've heard a lot of good things about Chen... but when are they going to tell the world instead of just the faithful?

They don't have much time... and I've seen no indication yet that they'll step up to the marketing challenges.

They need to do it NOW!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Part of this 'marketing' is actually to consistently release new devices, along with new versions of the operating system. As time goes on and new devices are released, the market starts to take notice.

For example. You can flog the existing product line all you want, however sites like engadget etc don't take notice.

Bring out a new flagship and maybe, just maybe, engadget will take another look, actually say "hey, this is kinda cool" and produce an article accordingly. Slowly the tide changes and as review sites start to reflect BlackBerry in a positive light, so do consumers.

BlackBerry have to keep moving forward. They do this by not standing still on existing hardware or operating systems.
    02-04-14 09:29 PM
    ...I also think its smart if they chill on the phones for a while since you know, there are 3 new models that aint sold too well. lets try to get those going first!!!!!
    That is most certainly not smart. How many people do you see buying hardware that is over a year old. Stores around me (Chicago) don't even have the Z10 on do say anymore.

Sales of old phones don't go up over time....
    02-13-14 06:32 PM
    That's true but it could be that done that way, but from what Chen said it sounded like he was saying that only low end devices would be built by Foxconn and be would continue to make high end devices.

That's what it sounded like to me anyway.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    That's my take-away as well. The advantage of Foxconn is since many different smartphones use a lot of the same internals Foxconn can reduce there price to make the phone due to economy of scale. That and there really set up far better to pump out these very cheap smartphones for the developing world. What BlackBerry has to do is try to make something exciting for there next flagship phones.

Don't get me wrong I love the iconic design of my Q10 and I love the feel of the glass weave on the back but really the best looking feature of the phone is the keyboard which of course BlackBerry does better than any other. But when you take away the keyboard and have a full touchscreen and you're left with the Z30 which in my option is a good phone with what I believe is the best speaker currently on the market (at least in here in the US) but the design is just uninspired and bland. It reminds me of those generic smartphones that actors use on TV shows and commercials, it just doesn't pop. But as Chen said you're always just one release away from a comeback so let's hope BlackBerry takes a cue from some of the concets in these forums and gives us a flagship we can ooh and ahh about.

Sent from my Q10
    02-14-14 01:55 AM
36 12