Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I'm saddened to see that there's nothing new on the Blackberry device front. The Key2 is quite good and while I'm not immediately looking to replace it, I wish I heard something hopeful for the future.
    vazqueztejero likes this.
    06-18-19 07:10 PM
    I'm saddened to see that there's nothing new on the Blackberry device front. The Key2 is quite good and while I'm not immediately looking to replace it, I wish I heard something hopeful for the future.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/rumore...bj100-1170217/

BBMo said back in February that there won't be anything new until the end of the year at the earliest.
    Last edited by conite; 06-18-19 at 07:51 PM.
    06-18-19 07:20 PM
    There is nothing other than BBJ100, there is no information regarding Pie upgrade for K2 and the launcher seem to be stuck in 2015...

Bummer. We wait.
    06-18-19 07:32 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/rumore...bj100-1170217/

BBMo said back in February that there won't be anything new until the end of the year at the earliest.
    I can't find the quote right now but I remember "at least six months, and it won't be 5G". (As if anybody knows exactly what 5G is yet.) It seems arguably a little sooner than "end of the year", but surely outside the 30 day return window for the Key2 I just ordered!
    06-19-19 08:58 AM
    I can't find the quote right now but I remember "at least six months, and it won't be 5G". (As if anybody knows exactly what 5G is yet.) It seems arguably a little sooner than "end of the year", but surely outside the 30 day return window for the Key2 I just ordered!
    The quote was clarified later in the day at the time. The implication was late 2019, early 2020.

This is further reinforced by the notion that something truly compelling needs to come along before warranting a new device.
    phuoc likes this.
    06-19-19 08:59 AM
    You want to know what BlackBerry Mobile sees when they read this?

'I want something new, but I'm probably not gonna buy it so don't bother'

Despite some of the noise here, they've seemingly decided based on their info, that most are happy with their KEY2 and KEY2 LE's for now.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-19-19 12:38 PM
    You want to know what BlackBerry Mobile sees when they read this?

'I want something new, but I'm probably not gonna buy it so don't bother'

Despite some of the noise here, they've seemingly decided based on their info, that most are happy with their KEY2 and KEY2 LE's for now.
    Bla1ze, part of the answer with the entire market is that sales are declining. I think it's fair to say that unless there are leaps in technology, holding out an extra year to an average of 3 years is sounding more suitable. With the Key2, there's room for improvement - significant improvement, particularly around the issue over the screen (size and quality). It's also about looking at alternatives, which there are none available that suits me at this point, not to mention that Blackberry/TCL have essentially killed almost any enthusiasm for the next phone. I've given my wish list in the past, of course, that's the voice of 1, and I certainly don't expect to hear a sole voice to make a company decision upon. Since I can only talk for myself, I'll say make it large - Passport wide, taller, perhaps with a slider keyboard. Don't worry - I won't hold my breath. At least Blackberry and it's partners can take credit for making a sufficient phone to satisfy some customers with the Key2. I hope it's enough for Blackberry to remain a niche player and eventually win back a larger market share.
    Powdah likes this.
    06-19-19 01:08 PM
    Bla1ze, part of the answer with the entire market is that sales are declining. I think it's fair to say that unless there are leaps in technology, holding out an extra year to an average of 3 years is sounding more suitable. With the Key2, there's room for improvement - significant improvement, particularly around the issue over the screen (size and quality). It's also about looking at alternatives, which there are none available that suits me at this point, not to mention that Blackberry/TCL have essentially killed almost any enthusiasm for the next phone.
    I agree. I just didn't have the time to put a longer reply such as yours.
    tazcubed likes this.
    06-19-19 01:42 PM
    better marketing can help. a lot of old bb diehards have moved on not knowing there are still bb phones in the market.

getting them into phone and carrier stores now they Android could be a smart move.
    RCJ28 and tazcubed like this.
    06-19-19 02:37 PM
    Communication or roadmaps isn't something that they understand.

Currently TCL and BlackBerry Ltd are doing some restructuring... what that means, we don't really know. (clearly cost cutting and reduction)

But if the US market (and others) have hit a sales dead end for BBMo... is opening new markets like Liechtenstein, Tuvalu, Kiribati and Andorra going to get them through another year? TCL might be able to offset BBMo sales to some kind of biennial cycle... can BlackBerry Ltd?

Personally I don't see a biennial hardware and software update cycle as viable in today market... but we will see what they come up with.
    elfabio80 and tazcubed like this.
    06-19-19 02:40 PM
    Communication or roadmaps isn't something that they understand.

Currently TCL and BlackBerry Ltd are doing some restructuring... what that means, we don't really know. (clearly cost cutting and reduction)

But if the US market (and others) have hit a sales dead end for BBMo... is opening new markets like Liechtenstein, Tuvalu, Kiribati and Andorra going to get them through another year? TCL might be able to offset BBMo sales to some kind of biennial cycle... can BlackBerry Ltd?

Personally I don't see a biennial hardware and software update cycle as viable in today market... but we will see what they come up with.
    Maybe the KEY2 and LE have done better in the EU market than US?
    06-19-19 06:13 PM
    I don't think that it is necessarily neglect that is dragging the K3 release date. They are not expecting many K2 users to move on to a new device so soon after buying one. They also know that the remaining BB10 users will be looking for new devices in January along with a growing number of legacy Android device users ready to upgrade. Hyping and or releasing a phone now would lessen the impact of such a new release by 2020 when they expect a good many users would be ready to buy.
    06-20-19 01:16 PM
    I don't think that it is necessarily neglect that is dragging the K3 release date. They are not expecting many K2 users to move on to a new device so soon after buying one. They also know that the remaining BB10 users will be looking for new devices in January along with a growing number of legacy Android device users ready to upgrade. Hyping and or releasing a phone now would lessen the impact of such a new release by 2020 when they expect a good many users would be ready to buy.
    I agree that January makes more sense if the target market is primarily existing BB10 and KEY phone owners. I am sure I won't be in the market for a KEYone replacement before January. I've owned my phone for almost two years, and I doubt if it's had more than 500 hours of total screen-on time. Replacing it seems an awful waste.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-20-19 02:35 PM
    Replacing it seems an awful waste.
    If you were really picky about your PKB's, you'd probably want a bigger keyboard with matte finish.
    But from what I've read you only use your keyboard for the shortcuts so...

And also, you could always sell the other device to help offset the cost of the new one (unless you want to keep it as backup which is always a good idea)
    06-20-19 03:24 PM
    If you were really picky about your PKB's, you'd probably want a bigger keyboard with matte finish.
    But from what I've read you only use your keyboard for the shortcuts so...

And also, you could always sell the other device to help offset the cost of the new one (unless you want to keep it as backup which is always a good idea)
    You seem to think I want to change devices. My goal is to own as few as possible and keep them for as long as possible. My interest has always been in the software, the UX, and the work flow, never the hardware.

branflakes likes this.
    06-20-19 05:06 PM
    You seem to think I want to change devices. My goal is to own as few as possible and keep them for as long as possible. My interest has always been in the software, the UX, and the work flow, never the hardware.

So you wouldn’t jump all over Librem 5 with BB10 dual boot inside a custom Z10 case presented to you in Oceans 13 style...
    the_boon and Mecca EL like this.
    06-20-19 07:22 PM
    LOL. No. One of the chief attractions of the Librem phone is the company's plan to maintain it indefinitely, with no planned obsolescence. I would be happy to keep a phone until the radio bands force an upgrade.
    06-21-19 08:43 AM
    better marketing can help. a lot of old bb diehards have moved on not knowing there are still bb phones in the market.
    I promise you, ALL "BB diehards" are aware that there are still BB-branded phones on the market - they just don't want them. Some of them are still hardcore BBOS and are angry about their Bolds not working at the end of the year, and some are hardcore BB10 and won't have anything to do with Android. Some are slab people and don't want a PKB. And some like PKBs but don't like the shape, screen, camera, SOC, or cost of the current phones. If those things weren't true, the BB's sales would be higher.

And if, by "better marketing" you meant TV commercials and magazine ads, those are simply WAY too expensive for the kinds of volumes that the phones are selling at. It would be one thing if sales were increasing, but they aren't. As it is, the profits from the current phones now have to support 2 companies instead of 1 (TCL and BB Ltd.), which means it's even harder to spend money on marketing.

getting them into phone and carrier stores now they Android could be a smart move.
    Don't you imagine they've tried? The carriers are only interested in selling phones that lots of people want, and that get people in the stores to buy contracts. The last time BB phones were in demand at carrier stores was with the 9900. The carriers have had lots of problems with BB phones over the last 10 years, and have gotten badly screwed by them again and again. And sales have gone down year after year.

In ANY retail location, if you have a product that isn't selling well, that causes problems, takes up space and ties up capital, you dump it and bring in something else that sells better or causes you fewer problems and returns.

The carriers gave BB YEARS to get their act together and put out something that consumers wanted to buy, and they didn't do it. That's not on the carriers - it's on BB.

Even BB's own customers can't come close to agreeing what they want. Everyone wants a different device - a slab, a slider, a smaller phone, a bigger phone, a wider phone, etc. But smartphones aren't like a lot of other products that can be custom made in low volumes profitably - they're too complicated and too dependent on dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of other companies for various hardware and software. Smartphones have to sell in volume in order to be profitable, and once volumes fall below a certain point, that's no longer possible...
    07-08-19 05:14 PM

There is something to that. I am a US citizen. I was on an outing a few days ago with a friend who is Canadian. We were taking photos with our phones, she with her iPhone and me with my KEY1. She spotted my KEY1 and said "oh, you have a BlackBerry." "Of course," I said (what else do you think I would say? Lol.) Then she said: "I didn't know..." (You know, something about her not knowing they were still being made). OK. You would think a Canadian would have heard something, but unless they are paying attention they are likely like her. Somehow people haven't heard about them. How can they be reached? I have now bought a KEY2. I was thinking to wait and keep using my KEYone jump over the KEY2. But I decided to go ahead and get one to tide me over till the next phone comes out. I am liking this KEY2.
    07-09-19 03:04 AM
    There is something to that. I am a US citizen. I was on an outing a few days ago with a friend who is Canadian. We were taking photos with our phones, she with her iPhone and me with my KEY1. She spotted my KEY1 and said "oh, you have a BlackBerry." "Of course," I said (what else do you think I would say? Lol.) Then she said: "I didn't know..." (You know, something about her not knowing they were still being made). OK. You would think a Canadian would have heard something, but unless they are paying attention they are likely like her. Somehow people haven't heard about them. How can they be reached? I have now bought a KEY2. I was thinking to wait and keep using my KEYone jump over the KEY2. But I decided to go ahead and get one to tide me over till the next phone comes out. I am liking this KEY2.
    Don't think I've ever seen an ad for a OnePlus phone... but I know many that own them. A great product can sell itself...

The hard reality is marketing can't fix the core issue that BBMo has... they are selling something that very few are willing to pay a premium for. Enterprise might have paid the premium... but TCL didn't delivery what Enterprise needed to see.
    07-09-19 07:30 AM
    Don't think I've ever seen an ad for a OnePlus phone... but I know many that own them. A great product can sell itself...

The hard reality is marketing can't fix the core issue that BBMo has... they are selling something that very few are willing to pay a premium for. Enterprise might have paid the premium... but TCL didn't delivery what Enterprise needed to see.
    OnePlus did it with no real marketing. It can happen but difficult.
    07-09-19 08:31 AM

Well at least she (a Canadian) rcognized my KEYone right away as a BlackBerry. Many people say "what phone is that...?"
    07-09-19 11:28 AM
    I can't find the quote right now but I remember "at least six months, and it won't be 5G".
    09-16-19 04:15 PM
    I can't find the quote right now but I remember "at least six months, and it won't be 5G".
    So, are you saying 6 months from now (September) there *might* be a new handset coming?

[edit]

I found this link on CNET about Blackberry devices. https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...upgrade-trend/
    09-18-19 08:38 AM