Hey guys,

I am an iphone user looking to switch to blackberry. I like the Bold 9700 but I am wondering whether there is an update planned to it since it was released late in 2009? I will probably be picking up a new phone this summer (May or June). Any advice on whether i should look at the 9700 or wait for something better to come out around that time? Thanks for the advice!

NB
    03-30-10 06:43 PM
    Could be either the Slider or the Dakota.
    03-30-10 06:48 PM
    When are those devices supposed to be released? I saw a picture of the slider and IMO it looks really ugly. What is the Dakota? Sorry for my lack of BB knowledge...
    03-30-10 06:53 PM
    ya, i have the old bold, the blackberry 9000, and want to make a move to a new phone, whens the next att one coming out?
    03-30-10 10:57 PM
    On the home page of CB is an article from RIM, predicting some exciting upgrades before the end of this fiscal year. I'll wait til then before deciding what to buy. Contract ends in May.
    04-05-10 05:37 PM
    Probably the slider set to Launch over Summer I hope.
    04-06-10 07:51 PM
    Could be either the Slider or the Dakota.
    the dakota is really far to be ''official''.

The 9000 'lived'' 17 months before the 9700's launch... So I think you must be patient before you'll see a new Bold in the candybar form factor. The slider will be the new flagship device this summer.

But dont worry about the 9700... Some updates are comming this summer(webkit). And the device is fast enough to be compared to the 3GS.
    04-06-10 08:01 PM
    I doubt the slider is a real product, looks a prototype from early 2009.

At any rate, it's hard to see what would be a big upgrade over the 9700 as it doesn't lack anything in particular. I wouldn't wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 08:16 PM
    What the Bold lacks is memory space to install apps. If RIM improve this, then there's no way that I'll look elsewhere at upgrade time.
    04-09-10 05:30 AM
    is the space to install apps seriously limited? Does it cause a significant inconvenience to users? Thanks for the help.
    04-10-10 02:51 PM
    There is a really good point in the later posts of this thread that I would like to highlight. It's the year 2010 and Apple and Google smartphones are speaking in Ghz (processor speed) and Gigabytes (storage capacity, 16+ seems the norm) RIM is still fiddling around with 682 Mhz processors and 128-256 Mb's of RAM (for running apps).

What's the deal here? The iPhone and Android devices are app monsters and they have the horsepower under the hood to really run many great apps. I like my Storm 9530 but I've downloaded 3 games from App World and I am being warned that my storage is about taken up! Come on RIM.... 2010....

And looking at the crystal ball if I may, I think a huge part of the future of the smartphone market will be apps. I can see the very beginnings of a new trend where downloading and using apps that do just about anything, from reserving tables at a restaurant for dinner to games will be the big selling point of a smartphone. I think the days of the smartphone being a cool phone because it can receive and send emails and use the Internet are long gone. The masses are catching on to this, for lack of a better term, "coolness" of apps and it seems based on what I read and see in video (e.g. Apple keynote addresses) Apple and Google are really marketing and placing the future success of the iPhone and Android devices on apps that do everything from assist with daily life to entertain. I see a lot of future smartphone advertising saying "O, look at them, they don't have the largest selection or "coolest" apps...." Actually it's kinda starting now with the whole Droid TV ads and iPhone ads.

To wrap this all up, if Blackberry doesn't even have enough storage for a plethora of apps (let alone the internals to run more advanced apps, e.g. 3d games, more complex looking apps) then RIM isn't going to win any battle against the competition.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 04-11-10 at 02:42 AM.
    04-11-10 02:27 AM
    There is a really good point in the later posts of this thread that I would like to highlight. It's the year 2010 and Apple and Google smartphones are speaking in Ghz (processor speed) and Gigabytes (storage capacity, 16+ seems the norm) RIM is still fiddling around with 682 Mhz processors and 128-256 Mb's of RAM (for running apps).

What's the deal here? The iPhone and Android devices are app monsters and they have the horsepower under the hood to really run many great apps. I like my Storm 9530 but I've downloaded 3 games from App World and I am being warned that my storage is about taken up! Come on RIM.... 2010....

And looking at the crystal ball if I may, I think a huge part of the future of the smartphone market will be apps. I can see the very beginnings of a new trend where downloading and using apps that do just about anything, from reserving tables at a restaurant for dinner to games will be the big selling point of a smartphone. I think the days of the smartphone being a cool phone because it can receive and send emails and use the Internet are long gone. The masses are catching on to this, for lack of a better term, "coolness" of apps and it seems based on what I read and see in video (e.g. Apple keynote addresses) Apple and Google are really marketing and placing the future success of the iPhone and Android devices on apps that do everything from assist with daily life to entertain. I see a lot of future smartphone advertising saying "O, look at them, they don't have the largest selection or "coolest" apps...." Actually it's kinda starting now with the whole Droid TV ads and iPhone ads.

To wrap this all up, if Blackberry doesn't even have enough storage for a plethora of apps (let alone the internals to run more advanced apps, e.g. 3d games, more complex looking apps) then RIM isn't going to win any battle against the competition.
    Storm 1 is an outdated phone... it's not expected to live up to today's standards. For the latest and greatest, you go with a flagship phone (BOLD), or upgrade to the newest storm.

Personally, I'm going to wait until the Storm 3 comes out, and go/compare from there... but that's likely Nov/Dec
    04-11-10 05:59 AM
    Yeah, and the Bold 9000 has low app memory, the newer one has plenty.

I feel this is an issue Rim will address, they are slowly improving their media and apps.
    04-15-10 12:41 PM
    the dakota is really far to be ''official''.

The 9000 'lived'' 17 months before the 9700's launch... So I think you must be patient before you'll see a new Bold in the candybar form factor. The slider will be the new flagship device this summer.

But dont worry about the 9700... Some updates are comming this summer(webkit). And the device is fast enough to be compared to the 3GS.
    at least with a BB, you don't feel shafted 4-6 months after buying a new model, when a new one comes out and makes the old one obsolete, like in the Android world...

i just switched back to a 9700 after using a Nexus for 3 months... running os .593 and super happy so far... that nice familiar feel and something that works... looking forward to the webkit browser!
    04-16-10 03:08 PM
    Rim probably won't expect the slider to suit everyone, so what we might see is a refresh of the 9700 as well, beyond improvements from new software there's room to update the hardware with things like more memory, adding wireless-n like the 9100 is getting etc. sort of like the update from the 9630 to 9650.
    04-17-10 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD