A guy I follow on twitter, @black_man_x, posted this earlier: "O hai new bb... nice update to the 9650... " He works in LTE integration and is known as a fairly reliable source. He hasn't given any more info on this yet, but let's do what this forum does best, speculate. Think it will just be a Bold 9660 with some extra memory and OS6 preloaded or something more?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 01:20 PM
    Hey!

Sounds nice!
    But IF there really will be an update...
    (I mean, the 9650 is an update from 9630 - and almost new).

I could only think of the "new" 5 Megapixel camera and an official OS6.
    12-20-10 04:09 PM
    BMX is pretty reliable. So we will have a 9650 with a 5MB camera knowing RIM
    12-20-10 04:12 PM
    @Slash The tour wasn't even a year old when the Bold replaced. The Curve 8530 was only 9-10 months old when the 9330 came out. CDMA doesn't get anything innovative, just regular refreshes.

12-20-10 05:06 PM
    BMX is pretty reliable. So we will have a 9650 with a 5MB camera knowing RIM
    don't sell them short..they might include wifi n and a different color bezel.
    12-20-10 05:21 PM
    You guys realize that anything like this won't happen till Oct 2011 or Feb 2012, right? IF they're early?
    12-20-10 08:37 PM
    You guys realize that anything like this won't happen till Oct 2011 or Feb 2012, right? IF they're early?
    So you are saying that Blackberry isn't going to release a new phone before pretty much 2012. So basically, RIM won't release a new phone after over a year... that sounds pretty foolish to me, especially if its just a refresh.

Plus, I don't think RIM will go 2+ years without releasing a new touch only device (Storm type phone) ... even if its just OS6 with a faster processor/more memory.

QNX, maybe not until late 2011... but new devices/refreshes, I'm sure there will be some out early next year.
    12-20-10 11:09 PM
    Right now the 9650 does not need a refresh to support OS6, which is the only reason they would release a refresh a device. I could see them releasing maybe a bold form factor with a touchscreen, but I would think that they would call it something else. Is it possible that the "nice update to the 9650" implies that he has a 9650 now and this new device will be a "nice update" for him?
    12-21-10 06:25 AM
    So you are saying that Blackberry isn't going to release a new phone before pretty much 2012. So basically, RIM won't release a new phone after over a year... that sounds pretty foolish to me, especially if its just a refresh.

Plus, I don't think RIM will go 2+ years without releasing a new touch only device (Storm type phone) ... even if its just OS6 with a faster processor/more memory.

QNX, maybe not until late 2011... but new devices/refreshes, I'm sure there will be some out early next year.
    All the 9650 is is a refresh from the 8830 World Brick. 5 yrs removed from THAT piece of work and there it is. Added a camera and the possibility of a few more apps.
    12-21-10 11:27 PM
    All the 9650 is is a refresh from the 8830 World Brick. 5 yrs removed from THAT piece of work and there it is. Added a camera and the possibility of a few more apps.
    What about the Tour? That was the main replacement to the 8830.
    9650 added a bunch more than just a camera, 8830 was on 4.6 or 4.5 or something, Tour added 5.0 ability, now the 9650 will have OS6.

Definitely not a great phone (having only 512MB app memory and under a 1Ghz processor) for when it was released and is definitely behind the times... but all the more that RIM should have something to release before 2012. If you take into account how far behind RIM was in releasing phones like these new Bolds.. they are still like 5 years behind in specs compared to other phones...
    12-22-10 12:25 AM
    Definitely not a great phone (having only 512MB app memory and under a 1Ghz processor) for when it was released and is definitely behind the times... but all the more that RIM should have something to release before 2012. If you take into account how far behind RIM was in releasing phones like these new Bolds.. they are still like 5 years behind in specs compared to other phones...
    How on earth are they five years behind? Five years ago few smartphones had even a 600Mhz processor.
    The Blackberry Storm 9530 at launch had superior specs to most if not all smartphones on the market.
    the original iPhone (2007) was under clocked to 400Mhz
    the iPhone 3gs is under clocked to 600mhz
    not sure about the iP4, but the A4 processor most likely under clocked versus the iPad's 1ghz.
    the iPhone 4 does only have 512MB of ram, the same as the 9650
    The HTC Legend (2010), a highly rated Android phone, is clocked at 600Mhz and has 384 MB RAM 512 MB ROM
    (Wikipedia)

It's all fine and dandy to make outrageous claims such as Blackberries being 5 years out of date, but if the evidence doesn't support the claims it reflects on you.
    12-22-10 03:19 AM
    Ha ha I was weighing the Omnia vs the Storm1...I was soo glad to have chosen the Storm. It served me well until this summer when the bottom of the screen quit working. Out of warranty so I upgraded to a Dro*cough*id 1.

Horrible for me. Dropped calles constantly, hated the keyboard always sliding out, having to DL 2 apps to do what BB did natively, no external media buttons. GREAT browser, but is wasn't enough to keep me.

I agree, BB is not 5 years behind, maybe 1 year at the most. D1 was released a year ago. Let's see the "game changers" that RIM has this Spring.
    12-23-10 10:04 AM
    I think RIM SHOULD revise the Bold to a better camera, faster CPU, and LTE ability. A VZW employee told me there are a couple BB devices coming with LTE in the first 1/4 next year. I hope this info is reliable, he was very excited about LTE lol
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    12-23-10 01:19 PM
    I think RIM SHOULD revise the Bold to a better camera, faster CPU, and LTE ability. A VZW employee told me there are a couple BB devices coming with LTE in the first 1/4 next year. I hope this info is reliable, he was very excited about LTE lol
    I agree. thats all i really need. Honestly, if my S2 had more memory and a faster processor I would be pretty much set (except for the fact that the hardware is a little shaky - screen wobbles a little).

I really hope you are right about new BBs dropping Q1 2011 with LTE... QNX is cool, but an OS6 device can hold me over for a year before the QNX phones start being released.
    12-23-10 04:10 PM
    @gjbsource, unless that VZW employee works at VZ HQ or moonlights at RIM I would say he is talking out of his ***. If crackberry or other websites don't know about something then a VZW store employee knows even less about it. In a lot of cases a store employee doesn't even know about a device until the day it shows up in the store.

12-27-10 07:16 AM
    If there was going to be a Bold 9650 refresh, then why did RIM come out with the Style and had it take the 9670 number, which would be the logical number for a Tour3?

IMO unless the Tour3 becomes LTE, it won't ever come out.
    12-27-10 12:13 PM
    Really, why the care about LTE phones? Android has proven that mobile web can be as fast as anyone needs on a phone. Of course, I understand modems, but, just put the S3 out already
    12-27-10 12:47 PM
    If there was going to be a Bold 9650 refresh, then why did RIM come out with the Style and had it take the 9670 number, which would be the logical number for a Tour3?

IMO unless the Tour3 becomes LTE, it won't ever come out.
    Yeah I always wondered that myself, and I really do think thats why the Style was given the number 9670. Its the only logical thing i can think of
    12-28-10 11:44 PM
    Really, why the care about LTE phones? Android has proven that mobile web can be as fast as anyone needs on a phone. Of course, I understand modems, but, just put the S3 out already
    I don't know man.......i mean we won't know until 4G phones are released but better processors, such as dual cores, can process data speeds more efficiently......which makes the web pages load ever faster than current gen phones.

We'll see...
    12-28-10 11:46 PM
    one of the biggest problems i see still remaining for 4g on phones is battery life. also add the fact that there are apparently issues in handoffs between 3g and 4g in the lte modems. i think a usable, practical 4g handset, won't be along for a while...
    01-03-11 10:25 AM
    Wait just a Minute. Wiimax has been pretty stable. As a Sprint Customer, I've had the exact same Tour for a while now (No replacements, No issues). And I got this to replace my Trusty WE (Phone was a Tank, not a Brick!) If anything, I want this phone to get 4G. Or whatever this new class of Mobile Networks is calling itself.

I also would like to state, my BlackBerry has Crime Deterrent. :-D

01-03-11 01:03 PM
    one of the biggest problems i see still remaining for 4g on phones is battery life. also add the fact that there are apparently issues in handoffs between 3g and 4g in the lte modems. i think a usable, practical 4g handset, won't be along for a while...
    Actually LTE chips have better power management than HSPA, so battery life should be equivalent or better.
    01-03-11 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD