09-22-12 10:26 PM
121 ... 2345
tools
    soo confusing lol...
    08-13-09 10:47 PM
    yah, that small ts would be ridic
    08-13-09 11:12 PM
    why would you care if it's a touchscreen or not if you can still work it the traditional way with the trackball or trackpad (whichever is on it)? I just don't understand the mentality of people with these touchscreen comments. Like RIM is going to be looking over your shoulder to make sure you use the touchscreen? It just adds to existing functionality, not take the place of it.

Though in some agreement, it would be interesting to see how well a capacative touchscreen works in the Treo type of form factor. The Palm Eos/Pixie might be out before the Thunder so one way or the other it'll be interesting to see a review regardless of which phone it is.
    if i got this correctly, the onyx isnt the Bold 2, this magnum thing is... and this magnum thing is half touchscreen and half keypad?

so really they expect me to use this small screen with my finger? or what excactly?

because if thats the case, its onyx for me.
    08-15-09 06:29 PM
    ^^ touchscreen gets dirty faster and is more fragile then a regular screen. if youre not using it, you dont need it. I do not fantasize about pinching my screen or swiping it or whatever. its not my thing. you want a touchscren, thats good for you, but ive used phones with touchscreens, the latest one being a se x1. and i hate it. i still have the phone, only now i use it as an alarm clock, or a backup for contacts for my other line.

i dont like the iphone, the google phone, or any phone with a touchscreen only. chances are they become slide out keyboard phones, or pure touch. the slide out mechanism becomes warn out, and will also break during a fall usually. so no thank you. also, if its not a slide out, then the screen will be too small and useless to do anything real with it. it will be a novelty thing. so again, no thank you.

i am now awaiting the onyx, so i can have it as my main device, the bold as my backup, and get rid of this disaster, the x1.
    08-16-09 11:16 AM
    ^^ It only gets dirty faster if you get your oily fingers on it. Otherwise it won't get any more dirty than a non-touchscreen. And if they only make the next Bold in one way, your don't need it comment is moot. You want the latest greatest Bold with all its improvements then apparently you do need it, touchscreen or not. And again, if navigation and use is still done via trackpad or trackball you won't have to touch the screen. It's just a plus for those who want that functionality.

And mentioning the X1 is useless. Try using a good phone, and not one that's all form over function. Quite a few I know have quickly gone back winmob after using the X1. There's obviously some merit in thumb board touchscreen phones, and RIM is waking up to that fact. Just ask Palm. And any negative argument about their downfall doesn't hold water since an aging OS and inability to make a sleek casing to keep up with the jones' is a separate issue than the base design.

All the phones you mentioned are a completely different design and give zero validity to the argument as they are all based off of touch with touch being the main form of navigation. And I highly doubt that would be the case if RIM kept the base design of the Bold and threw in a touchscreen.

So that's great that you don't like touchscreens, just bring the right argument.
    08-16-09 11:57 AM
    You fail to realize that the X1 has an optical pad as well, so it could be used "traditionally" as you say. It also has a slide out keyboard. So if this BOLD2 is the bold form factor, the screen will be small and ****ty. The X1 has a 3 inch screen, and even with that i make mistakes and you often need a stylus. so you expect me to believe with the small screen of the bold, that i will make less mistakes? i think not. All fingers have natural oils on them. i have never seen a phone not touch screen or not that you dont get your fingers on. However, when touch screen phones get dirty they get less responsive. they are also more fragile as i said, and you failed to address.

I do not like the iphone, the storm, the x1, the google phone, or any other touchscreen phone. i have used almost all touchscreen phones out there, and i do not like them. This is my opinion, my choice. i fail to see how it bothers YOU, that I do not want a touchscreen phone.

Also, maybe to you my arguments are invalid, because you have some sort of touchscreen fetish, but to my use, they are very much valid.

Why would i need it if i want the latest phone? There are a lot of phones out there with better hardware than rim phones without touchscreens, however they do not have the blackberry services or the form factor which I like. I do not care for the best camera in the world, however it would be nice for those moments. I need a fast processor, good size, not too small like the curve but a bit smaller then the bold.

Also, which phone in the world that has a touchscreen, does not make the touchscreen the main form of navigation?!?

The palm pre? did you not pay attention to where i said that the sliding mechanism eventually gets worn out and im not a fan of slide out keyboards? maybe you also have small hands that you could use the top row of your pre keys easily without the top part getting in the way ...

Try using a good phone? what do you consider a good phone? because i guarantee you i have used it and i didnt like it.
    08-16-09 08:42 PM
    Well...billy bob has spoken
    08-17-09 06:26 PM
    This is not a contest who is best - this is the official thread for BOLD 2. If you don't like it - go somewhere else and keep your oily fingers to yourself LOL

Seriously, guys - has someone heard if this one is up for Q2 or Q3 of 2010. This is important, a lot of folk are up for upgrades and should know how to plan
    08-18-09 02:16 AM
    As jeffreii rightfully commented here http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/an...ml#post3378580 I updated the OP to reflect also BOLD SIZE FACTOR, which to many of us is a crucial distinction from the Curve-sized family (including onyx).
    08-19-09 12:21 PM
    I think it will have a trackpad, I doubt 512MB I say 256MB....
    08-19-09 12:34 PM
    new Bold? will it still be called a Bold? Cuz people are saying the Onyx is the new Bold. Is it because its in the same model series?
    08-19-09 02:38 PM
    Too many BB's!
    08-19-09 08:16 PM
    I just hope this Blackberry magnum or what ever it is isn't a slider style phone... I cannot stand the slider phones like the palm pre... I find they take the business look out of the phone and make it look childish... Hopefully it's more like the treo pro look. I didn't bother reading this entire thread so these things might have been cleared up already but I also hope it will continue to have the trackball or trackpad even though it is touchscreen... Personally I am really debating wether or not wait for the magnum or getting the new storm that is comming out.
    08-19-09 10:03 PM
    new Bold? will it still be called a Bold? Cuz people are saying the Onyx is the new Bold. Is it because its in the same model series?
    Onyx is next in the tour/curve line.
    08-20-09 03:15 AM
    a photo of the 9020 with the Bold logo recently surfaced. I'm starting to believe the 9020 is the replacement for the Bold since it is in the 90xx designation. The blackberry you're talking about maybe like the curve 83xx to curve 85xx/89xx upgrade in which things were drastically improved. From that I'm going to conclude that the 9900 won't be out until at least 2 years after the 9020/9700 debuts and perhaps that is also why you stated it may debut with 5.1/5.2
    Last edited by TaeKwonDonkey; 08-20-09 at 04:51 PM.
    08-20-09 04:48 PM
    In podcast 040 Kevin said that a bold-sized device is unlikely to appear, as some considered the current Bold 9000 "too big".

I don't know what to make of that - Palm are picking up the form factor (Pixie) while RIM are dropping it? Dang, that would be sad!
    08-21-09 03:56 AM
    i'd take what i said there with a grain of salt... it's hard to say and i honestly don't know. i personally don't mind the bold's size in-hand (so nice and easy to type on), but i think lugging it around is where it's a bit big. i wouldn't mind seeing a new device of similar sizing though... the extra quarter inch of width on the bold's display really makes a difference.
    08-21-09 04:05 AM
    I agree with Kevin, it's too difficult to tell if a 'Bold' size device is ever gonna come to market again for RIM. The Bold is a fantastic phone, definitely a true flagship product. But I think the market is ready for a smaller, leaner version; which will in turn take less battery (due to the size).

There is a lot of speculation that occurs regarding RIM devices on the net. The people that are in the know, can't say anything, and the people that don't know anything, say too much.
    08-21-09 06:51 AM
    Battery life has nothing to do with size. If anything, it only allows for a bigger battery to be put in

I agree on the speculations though - those under NDA are speechless in contrast to those who "think" they know. And then there is us, guestimating and speculating.
    08-21-09 07:04 AM
    time for the those in the 'know' to say something.

As for me, the magnum (keyboard+touchscreen) is really useless. The small screen size really prohibits good usage of touchscreen.
    my 0.02c

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 07:12 AM
    a photo of the 9020 with the Bold logo recently surfaced. I'm starting to believe the 9020 is the replacement for the Bold since it is in the 90xx designation. The blackberry you're talking about maybe like the curve 83xx to curve 85xx/89xx upgrade in which things were drastically improved. From that I'm going to conclude that the 9900 won't be out until at least 2 years after the 9020/9700 debuts and perhaps that is also why you stated it may debut with 5.1/5.2
    The 9020 is the old model number for the Onyx, which is now the 9700. That alone leads me to believe that it is no longer being considered the Bold 2.

I agree with Kevin, it's too difficult to tell if a 'Bold' size device is ever gonna come to market again for RIM. The Bold is a fantastic phone, definitely a true flagship product. But I think the market is ready for a smaller, leaner version; which will in turn take less battery (due to the size).

There is a lot of speculation that occurs regarding RIM devices on the net. The people that are in the know, can't say anything, and the people that don't know anything, say too much.
    According to CX there is an upcoming Bold-sized device:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/an...9/#post3353490
    08-21-09 10:43 AM
    Everyone is so obsessed with "piezo" and "onyx", they hyperventilate and fail to dish *anything* outside the odin/onyx/driftwood domain

Judging by the speed of leaks + OS leaks (5.0.0.190) odin+onyx+dirftwood are round the corner (month away guestimation) - once this is settled, we'll hear more, I hope
    08-26-09 10:38 AM
    since the onyx actually has "Bold" engraved on it, don't you think that that would be the Bold II ?
    08-26-09 01:56 PM
    since the onyx actually has "Bold" engraved on it, don't you think that that would be the Bold II ?
    Not all Onyx's have "Bold" engraved on it, only some pre-production models...and those were likely made before the changing of the model number from 9020 to 9700.
    08-26-09 02:44 PM
    Everyone is so obsessed with "piezo" and "onyx", they hyperventilate and fail to dish *anything* outside the odin/onyx/driftwood domain

Judging by the speed of leaks + OS leaks (5.0.0.190) odin+onyx+dirftwood are round the corner (month away guestimation) - once this is settled, we'll hear more, I hope
    I agree with you. I am new to the forum but I have noticed that there is always 2 main devices that get mayor leaks. I think that all Odin news came after the tour release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 03:27 PM
121 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD